Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Tactical Bonnet posted:

So instead of a "Large Beast" a celestial warhorse would be a "Large Celestial"?

Yep.

Generic Octopus posted:

He took Resilient: Con as a Human.

My mistake, I didn't notice he was a variant human. He still should be proficient in Wisdom and Charisma though, being a Paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Gerdalti posted:

As mentioned in another post, I'm about to play my first game of D&D in about 18 years. We're going to use 5e. I've built a character, but wouldn't mind a once over by some of you more experienced people to see if I've made any terrible glaring mistakes.

As a note: I've already cleared the character with the DM, he gave me a few suggestions that I've taken into account already.

Sword and Board Oath of Vengeance Level 1 Paladin:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8kVRNcLOnTtaTRmZnpEcmtZUnM/view?usp=sharing

I've pre-noted level 2 skills (and a level 4 feat) on the sheet as well.
Looks mostly fine, I would probably go with a two-hander over a sword-and-board for a Oath of Vengeance Paladin. Mind if I ask where that character sheet is from?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Power Player posted:

Looks mostly fine, I would probably go with a two-hander over a sword-and-board for a Oath of Vengeance Paladin. Mind if I ask where that character sheet is from?

Fun fact: If you take the dueling fighting style at level 2 then you will almost always have a higher (or equal) damage average than with any 2h in the game.

1d8+2 average is 6.5, higher than the 5.5 average of a 1d10 weapon and the same as the average of a 1d12 weapon. You only get beaten by weapons that naturally deal multiple damage dice, of which there is currently one.

The Maul, which deals an average of 7(2d6), but is half a point of average damage worth losing 2 AC from a shield?

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 28, 2014

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Fun fact: If you take the dueling fighting style at level 2 then you will almost always have a higher (or equal) damage average than with any 2h in the game.

1d8+2 average is 6.5, higher than the 5.5 average of a 1d10 weapon and the same as the average of a 1d12 weapon. You only get beaten by weapons that naturally deal multiple damage dice.

A greatsword does 2d6 damage, which has an average of 7. And that's without any fighting style. Being allowed to reroll 1s and 2s raises it even further, with a distorted bell curve pushed towards the upper end. If it's pure damage you're after, you go with the big weapons.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Sanglorian posted:

Languages: Disguise kit

This is the most amazing thing I've read.

But yeah, RPGs are really bad at explaining their mechanics to newbies, in part because it's generally accepted that a new player coming into a game will be taught the mechanics by someone who's been playing the game for ages already. I wish more RPGs actually had sections dedicated to how to best teach mechanics (start with basic ideas, move on to more complex ones once you've established the basics), or even stuff like the original B/X Red Box had where there was basically a Choose Your Own Adventure that taught you the mechanics as you went through a very basic dungeon.

I mean, poo poo, this would be really easy to do with a truly modular system. At first you introduce the idea of Ability Scores and how to derive modifiers. Then you explain the idea of the Ability Check ("Roll a twenty-sided die, add your modifier, if it's higher than the target number of the check you succeed!"), and from there you can move on to stuff like Proficiencies and Attacks and poo poo like that.

You could easily do it in 5e, but at the same time there's a few too many mechanical bits to handle and too many instances of there being no internal consistency that it'd be quite a pain to pull. ("Okay, sometimes an attack is you rolling a die and adding your ability modifier and proficiency bonus, but other times you don't roll anything and the enemy rolls something we can call a saving throw.")

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Ratpick posted:

But yeah, RPGs are really bad at explaining their mechanics to newbies
I feel like you guys making blanket statements like this about all RPGs need to check out some other games.

*World games generally are great for new players and GMs alike. A player only really needs to know the rules on their own playbook and the basic moves lists. And the GM sections for both Dungeon and Apocalypse World are pure gold for teaching how to run a collaborative, improvisational game. They both even have "First Session" sections that give great advice for setting up a campaign and teaching new players.

Ratpick posted:

I mean, poo poo, this would be really easy to do with a truly modular system. At first you introduce the idea of Ability Scores and how to derive modifiers. Then you explain the idea of the Ability Check ("Roll a twenty-sided die, add your modifier, if it's higher than the target number of the check you succeed!"), and from there you can move on to stuff like Proficiencies and Attacks and poo poo like that.
For an example of something like this, there's FFG's newer Star Wars games beginner sets. They do a great job of teaching the mechanics to both players and GMs in a logical progression. And they pack the box with cool maps, tokens, pregens and a set of dice, so you've got everything you need to play.

So it's definitely possible to have materials that teach even reasonably complicated games. D&D's lack of that is really just another indicator of who their target audience is.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So our group of friends decided to get together and take a stab at 5E. Our experience with DnD thus far has been

2 with experience in other roleplaying games
1 person who buys the books but never plays (likes the pretty pictures I guess)
2 with no experience but understands the concept.

Now I'm in the latter category and was drafted to be the DM. Any advise on resources that I could look at to get an idea of how to roll out this campaign with as little cluster fuckery as possible?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

ImpactVector posted:

I feel like you guys making blanket statements like this about all RPGs need to check out some other games.

*World games generally are great for new players and GMs alike. A player only really needs to know the rules on their own playbook and the basic moves lists. And the GM sections for both Dungeon and Apocalypse World are pure gold for teaching how to run a collaborative, improvisational game. They both even have "First Session" sections that give great advice for setting up a campaign and teaching new players.

Yeah, I was generalizing. As a broad statement I do feel that it does apply a large number of RPGs on the market, but I know that there are exceptions to the rule.

Dungeon World and Apocalypse World are both really good at teaching you how to play them, but I think Monsterhearts does them one better by actually having an entire section dedicated to how to teach the game. A section like that wouldn't be completely amiss in D&D 5e.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I was in a similar boat, I had played maybe once before and was then picked to be DM (and stayed there all these years) so my only advice is read the rules till you have a good grasp of them. You think that'd go without saying but I've played plenty of pick-up games with supposed A+ local DMs who just made poo poo up on the fly rules-wise for whatever got them hard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

m.hache posted:

Now I'm in the latter category and was drafted to be the DM. Any advise on resources that I could look at to get an idea of how to roll out this campaign with as little cluster fuckery as possible?

If anyone in your group has the 4e DMG, it's probably the single best resource for new DMs in your situation (regardless of system / edition.)

There's also SA's own GM advice thread, which is great for specific questions / suggestions.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the input.

I think we're going to start with the starter set adventure to get going and I'll nab the 4E DMG for some "light" reading.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

moths posted:

If anyone in your group has the 4e DMG, it's probably the single best resource for new DMs in your situation (regardless of system / edition.)

There's also SA's own GM advice thread, which is great for specific questions / suggestions.

Thank you for this just got it on PDF apparently the DMG for 5 is not out until December ?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Ratpick posted:

But yeah, RPGs are really bad at explaining their mechanics to newbies, in part because it's generally accepted that a new player coming into a game will be taught the mechanics by someone who's been playing the game for ages already. I wish more RPGs actually had sections dedicated to how to best teach mechanics (start with basic ideas, move on to more complex ones once you've established the basics), or even stuff like the original B/X Red Box had where there was basically a Choose Your Own Adventure that taught you the mechanics as you went through a very basic dungeon.
Every time they try this, people loudly complain that the book "talks down to them." They can't actually teach most of their existing fan base, or they will jump ship.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sage Genesis posted:

Yep.

My mistake, I didn't notice he was a variant human. He still should be proficient in Wisdom and Charisma though, being a Paladin.

Thanks, totally missed Wis/Cha save proficiency.

Power Player posted:

I debated 2hander, but having the holy symbol on my shield seemed too thematically awesome to pass up. Plus that AC bonus and the math on damage didn't make me feel that bad about passing up the larger damage.

Character Sheet Source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2do2an/treat_yourself_to_a_tall_cold_glass_of_current/

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 28, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crime fighting hog posted:

I was in a similar boat, I had played maybe once before and was then picked to be DM (and stayed there all these years) so my only advice is read the rules till you have a good grasp of them.

Seconding this. I don't know if this is common but I basically study the rules until I can run all of it myself and just ask the players what they want to do and roll the dice and the rest is me doing the processing, although I will grant that this might not work for more complex games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Piell posted:

Of course not.

Haha, I don't know what I was expecting I guess. Are they like KotS and Pyramid of Shadows bad? Or do any of them have at least a FEW redeeming qualities, like....uh...were there any 4E adventures with redeeming qualities?

I've apparently got some people interested in a game and with no DMG for over a month I'm kinda scrounging for whatever's out there.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ryoshi posted:

Haha, I don't know what I was expecting I guess. Are they like KotS and Pyramid of Shadows bad? Or do any of them have at least a FEW redeeming qualities, like....uh...were there any 4E adventures with redeeming qualities?

I've apparently got some people interested in a game and with no DMG for over a month I'm kinda scrounging for whatever's out there.

Actually, people have been pretty positive about Horde of the Dragon Queen. From what's been said around here, there are some rough encounters, but it has a pretty solid story with some interesting twists.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Sanglorian posted:

I'm just back from DMing my first game of 5th edition, for people who'd never played 5E. About half hadn't played D&D before.

We spent two hours on character creation, and the resulting characters are a mess.

Rant over. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Not wrong really, but as a general rule for any new rpg players you should give them a pregenerated character. The starter set comes with five, and they are even tied into the story. Never bog down a complete newbie with chargen unless it's Dungeon World style "circle three options". Even that takes explanation of game stats and moves, time better spent diving into the game.

If you must do chargen with a total newbie, keep the sheet in front of you and fill it out as they answer general questions about their character (theme and concept, not mechanical specifics). Hand it to them when complete. A "session 0" done like this still takes a few hours but you end up with usable sheets and some player investment in their character concepts.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

PeterWeller posted:

Actually, people have been pretty positive about Horde of the Dragon Queen. From what's been said around here, there are some rough encounters, but it has a pretty solid story with some interesting twists.
Yeah, the story is not bad and some of the encounters and scenarios are fun. Balance is rough so be on your toes for that. The only other thing I've noticed is it's pretty railroady, and I know that comes with the territory for premade adventures but even still on this one there were some parts where the module makes some pretty big assumptions about what the party would do / where they would go next, and how they may handle larger situations.

The other thing I'm reconciling now as a DM running this is the players all have some great backstories and plot hooks thanks to the background & personality section of 5e (not that D&D is first to provide crunchy backgrounds hooks, but still it's nice that they've done so). But it's difficult to work that into HotDQ because it moves forward in such a narrow route that you kind of have to put the module on pause to let some character stories happen. I'm reworking mine so that around midway the module will have a break worked in that will let the party feel like they're not in hot pursuit of maguffins for a while. Then we can have some character arcs, work in other plots, get a level or so and then if appropriate have them pick the thread back up for the module's endgame.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 28, 2014

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Do we need to split d&d up into advanced and regular again. If i were ever to run d&d again i would probably dig out my old boxset, the one with zanser tems dungeon. Theres just to much cruft in the new editions.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wish I still had my Zanzer's Dungeon map mat. That poo poo was dope.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
E: Sorry, thought I was in the 4e thread!

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

Sage Genesis posted:

Not really. In fact, would you mind if I save this post so I can quote it if I happen to run into someone who tells me 5e is really super-easy to pick up?

Go for it!

ritorix posted:

Not wrong really, but as a general rule for any new rpg players you should give them a pregenerated character. The starter set comes with five, and they are even tied into the story. Never bog down a complete newbie with chargen unless it's Dungeon World style "circle three options". Even that takes explanation of game stats and moves, time better spent diving into the game.

If you must do chargen with a total newbie, keep the sheet in front of you and fill it out as they answer general questions about their character (theme and concept, not mechanical specifics). Hand it to them when complete. A "session 0" done like this still takes a few hours but you end up with usable sheets and some player investment in their character concepts.

I was doing world generation at the same time as character generation, so as someone chose to play a tiefling they'd draw a little tiefling town on the map. I wouldn't have wanted pre-gens. The world gen part was really successful, and I think got them in the mood to add colour and be self-motivated throughout the rest of the game - one of them framed a scene that started a sub-quest for his character, and the others fleshed out world details, rival clans, set their own quests, etc.

However, what would have worked much better is if I had pre-generated characters for each race and class combination. Then as one of them chose to be a tiefling bard, I could have handed over the sheet, and the only thing left for them would be to pick and apply a background. That would also have focused attention on traits, bonds and flaws, which were mostly skipped with the way we did things.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That doesn't sound so bad then, just the sheets need some cleanup and you should be good for session 2 (if you are continuing). Having a pregen for most combinations isn't really feasible.

A pregen database would be a cool idea though. Pick race, class, focus (2h, dual wield, tank, etc) and it spits out a sheet.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Sanglorian posted:

Go for it!

I was doing world generation at the same time as character generation, so as someone chose to play a tiefling they'd draw a little tiefling town on the map. I wouldn't have wanted pre-gens. The world gen part was really successful, and I think got them in the mood to add colour and be self-motivated throughout the rest of the game - one of them framed a scene that started a sub-quest for his character, and the others fleshed out world details, rival clans, set their own quests, etc.

However, what would have worked much better is if I had pre-generated characters for each race and class combination. Then as one of them chose to be a tiefling bard, I could have handed over the sheet, and the only thing left for them would be to pick and apply a background. That would also have focused attention on traits, bonds and flaws, which were mostly skipped with the way we did things.

Does Next actually include rules or advice or whatever for this sorta world generation or was this something you just picked up or homebrewed?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Sanglorian posted:

I like it, very Dungeon World.

If you don't mind, I'd love to hear what GMing 5E is like once you get a session under your belt. I'm enjoying playing in Horde of the Dragon Queen, but from what I've seen about the stuff behind the GMing screen, I don't think I'd like running it very much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Rise of Tiamat Online Supplement is out. Which is cool if only for giving out more magic items.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rise-tiamat

The DM's basic rules have been updated as well. The building encounters section has apparently changed but I have not read over it myself yet. The monsters by CR List is included with it.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

The DM's basic rules have been updated as well. The building encounters section has apparently changed but I have not read over it myself yet. The monsters by CR List is included with it.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Since the DMG is currently at the printers, I'm assuming that these are the final rules.

They changed some of the wording about how to use the numbers. The tables, formulae, and process are the same as they were. They didn't even try to fix it.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

They changed some of the wording about how to use the numbers. The tables, formulae, and process are the same as they were.

They fixed nothing. Again.

No I'm sure it'll be fixed in the final version I mean in the next module I'm sorry I meant 6e.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rannos22 posted:

No I'm sure it'll be fixed in the final version I mean in the next module I'm sorry I meant 5.5e.

ftfy

Also I can just repeat how dumb items that set stats to a certain number are. They are so completely nonsensical and incompatible with everything else in the game.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

kingcom posted:

ftfy

Also I can just repeat how dumb items that set stats to a certain number are. They are so completely nonsensical and incompatible with everything else in the game.

Yep. And our wannabe wizard rogue got the headband of intellect from expeditions. So now they have an Int of 19. :O

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cassa posted:

Yep. And our wannabe wizard rogue got the headband of intellect from expeditions. So now they have an Int of 19. :O

Which he will throw out and give to the fighter once he gets 20 int at level 8.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Since the DMG is currently at the printers, I'm assuming that these are the final rules.

They changed some of the wording about how to use the numbers. The tables, formulae, and process are the same as they were. They didn't even try to fix it.

It's personally fixed for me with the line about no including Lower CR Enemies in the multiplier unless they actually up the difficulty. My only real problem with it in the past was that the multiplier went too high even when including wussy stuff like Goblins in high level encounters that would not change anything.

I will tell you this I have actually been using the earlier encounter building rules and other then my issue with the multiplier it is working well for my group. The monsters and encounters are working as intended.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 29, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Which he will throw out and give to the fighter once he gets 20 int at level 8.

According to the rules of expeditions you can you can rebuild your character however you like up to level 4. Meaning if you got the Headband before level 5 you could just drop your Int down to 8 buff your other stats and use it to give yourself 19 int.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to the rules of expeditions you can you can rebuild your character however you like up to level 4. Meaning if you got the Headband before level 5 you could just drop your Int down to 8 buff your other stats and use it to give yourself 19 int.

Why is this a good thing. So you dump to 8, bumb con until level 5, then switch back to 18 int (same as the headband gives you) so you can cap out at 20.

"Item that is useful if you rebuild your character."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Why is this a good thing. So you dump to 8, bumb con until level 5, then switch back to 18 int (same as the headband gives you) so you can cap out at 20.

"Item that is useful if you rebuild your character."

I did not say it, was a good thing. It's just something rather cheap that you can do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, never mind the several pages of math talk about this topic which weren't addressed at all, that's completely irrelevant in the light of this following piece of genius game design.

quote:

When making this calculation, don’t count any monsters whose challenge rating is significantly below the average challenge rating of the other monsters in the group unless you think the weak monsters significantly contribute to the difficulty of the encounter.

So I shouldn't include any monster with a CR "significantly" (what's that) below the average CR, except for when I should. Perfectly clear. Fixed everything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, never mind the several pages of math talk about this topic which weren't addressed at all, that's completely irrelevant in the light of this following piece of genius game design.

So I shouldn't include any monster with a CR "significantly" (what's that) below the average CR, except for when I should. Perfectly clear. Fixed everything.

Never said it was genius. It just fixed my problem. It just means the muptiplier only increases when the monsters are actually making this more challenging. An Aboleth and 6 Goblins are not the equivalent in difficultly value as two Aboleths are. This just means your own judgement matters.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Do they even have mook rules like 13th age if you want a bunch of weaker enemies that don't slow gameplay down to a crawl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Dungeon master pro-tip: if a monster does nothing to affect the encounter, remove it from the encounter. You should focus on the things that do matter so you can run them well.