Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
leave it to a german to come up with the most vile and sadomasochistic thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

rscott posted:

leave it to a german to come up with the most vile and sadomasochistic thing

Churchill would have allied with the webcomics to kill the political cartoons. :britain:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
watching alpha house s1 yeah this is pretty good. why does the black senator get stoned at the prayer circle? that seems to come out of nowhere, i thought he was a tobacco smoker

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CoolCab posted:

watching alpha house s1 yeah this is pretty good. why does the black senator get stoned at the prayer circle? that seems to come out of nowhere, i thought he was a tobacco smoker

Yeah I didn't like that scene.

This scene however
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LksYTLJpVE

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zoux posted:

Yeah I didn't like that scene.

it would have been fine if it was a thread throughout the series that he's a bit of a stoner, but he decides for the first time in the show to get stoned for literally no reason and get massively stoned, just before he has to speak. like, the mom in the first transformers movie stoned. reefer madness stoned. what the hell?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I remember the days where A Good Cartoon was funny. :smith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Much like with CAD (and friends) mock threads, there is only so much good jokes you can make about a medium that is by design repetitive and obviously flawed.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

visceril posted:

This is how you fix the thread:

Limit all posts to 50 words without a political cartoon or parody image, 100 words if the post includes an original contribution, limit the number of consecutive posts relating to a single comic or cartoonist, and make posting, mentioning, or discussing DbD a bannable offense. Memes, catchphrases, and in-jokes must rotate out of the thread every 10 pages.
didn't work for the picture thread, which is also v. bad

zoux posted:

It's like how the CD Movie Posters thread gets all mad at new posters of old school movies, which are made for fans of the movies who have seen them a hundred times, and not an intellectual exercise where we pretend the latest Mondo poster is actually going to be used to promote the Ghostbusters and that millions of fans will be utterly confused by an inside baseball reference because they haven't seen the movie yet.
hah, i think i actually made that exact argument a while ago. to be fair to me, though, the poster in question was this one:

and it is bad and should be somewhat more related to the film itself, rather than just play with the title.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

I remember the days where A Good Cartoon was funny. :smith:
no you don't

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I asked this a while ago, but didn't get an answer- what happened to those sexual harrassment allegations against James O'Keeffe?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

R. Mute posted:

didn't work for the picture thread, which is also v. bad

actually, <500 word rant>

<first page of imgur picture>

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I almost got drawn into the current budding debate on whether it's ok to graffiti up national parks (it's not imo)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I almost got drawn into the current budding debate on whether it's ok to graffiti up national parks (it's not imo)

What? No. Never.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Monkey Man posted:

I asked this a while ago, but didn't get an answer- what happened to those sexual harrassment allegations against James O'Keeffe?

he got his daddy to pay enough money to make them go away

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Monkey Man posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/former-james-okeefe-accomplice-reveals-barn-incident-and-harassment-complaint/

Settled for $20k, and the leaking of that settlement is the only reason we know about it. Unfortunately he cannot be sent to jail for his most heinous crime, which is "being James O'Keefe", but he'd probably rather go to jail then have people not talk about him so let's not talk about him.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

it's okay. national parks shouldn't be about beauty, it should be about nature. if there's nothing toxic in the paint, or whatever, then who cares

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i feel like democrats using the U3 unemployment rate (it's down under 6%!!!!! That's really good!!!! Look at what we've done for the economy!!!!) is like those idiots on fangraphs or bleacher report using xFIP to say why Clay Buchholz isn't a terrible pitcher

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

it's okay. national parks shouldn't be about beauty, it should be about nature. if there's nothing toxic in the paint, or whatever, then who cares

mmm zine quality art thanks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

R. Mute posted:

lots of people who feel natural beauty is superior to anything people make? i'd object to Michelangelo painting the grand canyon with the same passion i'd object to them painting it red and calling it the Coca'Canyon.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
After long battle with obliviousness, sarcasm on the internet finally died.

RIP sarcasm 1871-2014.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

does the quality of the art matter?

CoolCab posted:

lots of people who feel natural beauty is superior to anything people make? i'd object to Michelangelo painting the grand canyon with the same passion i'd object to them painting it red and calling it the Coca'Canyon.
it's just some paint on some rocks, not mount rushmore or anything. chill out.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
so i read perlstein's trilogy, fear and loathing campaign trail 72 and nixon agonistes, which was really great. i need to reread some of the later parts because it was a little over my head but the chapters about nixon and eisenhower's relationship were great (especially the duel of the checkers speech) and the parts about what an american presidential election even means really make u think. he explains that say you have ten issues that you care about, you have a candidate that agrees with four of them, or maybe just two of them but they are very important to you, or maybe his opponent strongly takes the opposite stance on one of your important issues, and in the end after every voter makes these judgments while casting their vote then what kind of mandate does a president really even have?

anyway i still want to know more what do i read

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

zoux posted:

A fun game: define "quality art."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

does the quality of the art matter?

No but the subjective nature of art means it should be left out of spheres that are meant for everyone to enjoy. I think the artist's statement is more contingent on the location rather than the content or style of her art. She's trolling basically. America has a unique relationship with the national park system and it's one of the few things in the US that is still cool and good so I'd like to see it remained unfuckedwith.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

No but the subjective nature of art means it should be left out of spheres that are meant for everyone to enjoy. I think the artist's statement is more contingent on the location rather than the content or style of her art. She's trolling basically. America has a unique relationship with the national park system and it's one of the few things in the US that is still cool and good so I'd like to see it remained unfuckedwith.

Wait is the "it" in "it should be left out of spheres that are meant for everyone to enjoy" supposed to be "art"? As in "art should be left out of spheres that are meant for everyone to enjoy"?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Nobody should enjoy anything, because enjoyment leads to fandom and we all know how that turns out.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Trolling and should be incarcerated for defiling Federal property in addition to trespassing along with some other charges I'm sure could be tacked on. She deserves to be locked up for what she did, if only to send a message that it is unacceptable to grafitti national parks.

Randler posted:

Nobody should enjoy anything, because enjoyment leads to fandom and we all know how that turns out.

How very lutheran of you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The it in this case is some loving millenial with a blog scrawling on rocks

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

gently caress nature

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
modern art started with trolling

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

nature also has a subjective nature and should be kept out of spheres that are meant for everyone to enjoy

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

My Imaginary GF posted:

How very lutheran of you

This means war.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

get off my lawn

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

if she had been in her 40s you would have been fine with this imo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

wah wah wah people are painting my lovely rear end rocks don't worry my tears will wash them clean

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

baw posted:

modern art started with trolling

duchamp :mad:

Badger of Basra posted:

if she had been in her 40s you would have been fine with this imo

No one in their 40s would've done this.

Statement by the artist:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Statement by the artist:

how old was the lady who wrote eat pray love? checkmate.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Duchamp was pretty insistent on the fountain not being art until he realized how much money he could make.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Randler posted:

This means war.

Zee Germans are coming, Zee Germans are coming, I'm so worried. Its not like ya'll had your asses kicked in two recent wars. Hell, maybe we'll sell out Poland and let ya'll border Russia again. There's some historical precidence to that, aye? Germany knows all about selling out Poland I hear.

R. Mute posted:

wah wah wah people are painting my lovely rear end rocks don't worry my tears will wash them clean

sorry belgium has no natural beauty, dont take it out on America

zoux posted:

duchamp :mad:

Statement by the artist:

Self-admitted bad person should face several hundred thousand in fines and a sentence of no less than 10 years. You don't gently caress with the Park Service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
idc how y'all feel about musical theatre but A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder owns owns owns

• Locked thread