Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

how me a frog posted:

Agree with something someone says? Quote what they said and add "this". #LifeHack

Imagine he didn't unfortunately add the word "flat" to his post and he is absolutely right. A thick creamy sauce will cling to the noodle naturally so you want a thicker spaghetti, runnier stuff you want to increase the surface area, hence thinner spaghetti.

edit: Or comedy option the Italians haven't a clue about pasta and they made different strengths of spaghetti so they could sell more which is the primary reason their economy is going so strong.

Wait, how does making the diameter of a strand of spaghetti thinner make the surface area increase? Man there are so many subtle differences in spaghetti types I never knew about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, how does making the diameter of a strand of spaghetti thinner make the surface area increase? Man there are so many subtle differences in spaghetti types I never knew about!

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but it's the same as wedges being 'healthier' than fries (less surface area to absorb oil or something, LIFEHACK)

For the same total volume/mass of spaghetti/chips/etc. the thinner the individual chip is the less volume per chip, giving you more individual items for the same net volume.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ChaosArgate posted:

Lifehax: For maximum surface area, just run your spaghetti through a coffee grinder before cooking. MMM, homogenous paste.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

Because of math.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

#life hack pasta doesn't obey the laws of physics.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

The surface area per strand of spaghetti decreases but you get more strands per standard gram serving, so you end up with more surface area per serving.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If we take a spaghetti strand to be a cylinder, the formula for surface area is 2*pi*r^2 + 2*pi*r*h, so decreasing the diameter of the spaghetti would decrease the surface area.

I legitimately never thought about the surface area absorbing stuff though.

Goosed it. posted:

The surface area per strand of spaghetti decreases but you get more strands per standard gram serving, so you end up with more surface area per serving.

Ok that makes a lot more sense.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

But it decreases the volume with r^2 and the surface area with r, meaning that volume decreases faster. A baseball has a higher surface area / volume ratio than a basketball.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
imagine four noodles on the edge of a magazine rack

lifehacks work the same way

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

walrusman posted:

But it decreases the volume with r^2 and the surface area with r, meaning that volume decreases faster. A baseball has a higher surface area / volume ratio than a basketball.

I understand that, but the sentence I read that confused me was "runnier stuff you want to increase the surface area, hence thinner spaghetti."

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

I understand that, but the sentence I read that confused me was "runnier stuff you want to increase the surface area, hence thinner spaghetti."

A pound of thin pasta will have more total surface area than a pound of thick pasta.

For example, a completely solid one-pound sphere of pasta-material would have the minimum possible surface area. A one-pound cloud of disassociated pasta molecules would have the maximum possible.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, I see my mistake now, I was comparing individual strands of spaghetti and not actually looking at the combined surface area of a full serving for a thicker pasta compared to a thinner one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm glad we've gotten that sorted out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Actual goony life hack I learned about.

If you are camping, you can use doritoes for kindling for a fire!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Then use Coke to clean your tent pegs when you're done.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Triarii posted:

a completely solid one-pound sphere of pasta-material

LifeHack: Make a pasta pancake cake in a rice cooker.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

The hot spoon on a recent bug bite does actually help.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bunnyofdoom posted:

If you're camping, you are surrounded by actual kindling. Sometimes it's hard to find larger logs, but when are you ever going to be in a situation where you have everything you need for a fire except kindling?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Tiggum posted:

If you're camping, you are surrounded by actual kindling. Sometimes it's hard to find larger logs, but when are you ever going to be in a situation where you have everything you need for a fire except kindling?

When you're trying to get the insurance money on your house.

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Many backpackers bring not only numerous ignition methods (I think the safety guideline is 3) but also a lightweight kindling. This is because in the outdoors, the weather is not always going to cooperate and it can be very difficult or impossible to gather suitable kindling from the surrounding environment. If you are in danger of hypothermia being able to start a fire quickly will likely save your life. Typically these kindling materials are things like dryer lint, cotton balls dipped in petroleum or a magnesium bar which can be shaved. However, it doesn't hurt to know that certain oil rich foods can also be used in a pinch.

None of this matters in a typical car camping or beach bonfire scenario where the problem can be solved with the old standby of lots of lighter fluid.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

"autistic fucks" posted:

spaghetti chat

I didnt think autists cared about pasta that wasnt spaghetti-os

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shwqa posted:

The hot spoon on a recent bug bite does actually help.

That one is totally crazy. First saw it on facebook and assumed it was bullshit. Got bit, tried it: :aaaaa:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Here To Help posted:

cotton balls dipped in petroleum

I hope you meant to write petroleum jelly aka Vaseline.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ChaosArgate posted:

Thinner spaghetti has more surface area by weight and by volume than thicker spaghetti. You may have been thinking of it by noodle. If you think of an equal weight of sheets of paper and a brick, one clearly has way more surface area. If you think of a ball and then the same ball cut into hundreds of flat ball segments, one has more surface area. So if you have exactly one cup of noodle material, the thinner the cut of the noodles, the more surface area they will present to your sauce.

Also I always carried a huge ziploc bag filled with dryer lint when I went backpacking, that stuff is the tits. It weighs nothing, I wasn't tempted to eat it, and it lights on fire at a near scary pace.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Minarch posted:

imagine four noodles on the edge of a magazine rack

lifehacks work the same way

Minarch, please. He had a surface area.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Soylent CEO Is Lifehacking Water By Pissing In the Sink

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

From Soylent guy's blog:

quote:

It is possible that a substantial amount of earth's water was synthesized by purple sulfur bacteria in the photosynthetic reaction.

This means we could manufacture water out of sunlight, CO2 and flatulence. What if we scaled this up?

Lets get to work people.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

A Crazy Person posted:

Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent's microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

PYF Life Hacks: I did not defecate

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Life hack: destroy your gut bacteria so you either die or have to get a loved one's poop shoved up your butt by doctors who will mock you incessantly.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Meowjesty posted:

Life hack: destroy your gut bacteria so you either die or have to get a loved one's poop shoved up your butt by doctors who will mock you incessantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89cMeaiJlPc

So this?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could kill off your gut flora against the explicit advice of a professional or you could set up a composting toilet and indeed never flush again but :effort: I guess.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Today's #lifehack is all about lemons

http://www.trueactivist.com/45-uses-for-lemons-that-will-blow-your-socks-off/

nutcases posted:

4. Mental Health
Lemon water can also prep up your mood and relieve you from depression and stress. Long distance walkers and world travelers as well as explorers look upon the lemon as a Godsend. When fatigue begins, a lemon is sucked through a hole in the top. Quick acting medicine it is, giving almost unbelievable refreshments.

Suck a lemon through a hole in the top and stop being sad. It's just that easy!

lifehactivists posted:

9. Keep Insects Out of the Kitchen
You don’t need insecticides or ant traps to ant-proof your kitchen. Just give it the lemon treatment. First squirt some lemon juice on door thresholds and windowsills. Then squeeze lemon juice into any holes or cracks where the ants are getting in. Finally, scatter small slices of lemon peel around the outdoor entrance. The ants will get the message that they aren’t welcome. Lemons are also effective against roaches and fleas: Simply mix the juice of 4 lemons (along with the rinds) with 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water and wash your floors with it; then watch the fleas and roaches flee. They hate the smell.

Dump it, floor, animal, poo poo, yadda yadda.

fuckwit posted:

30. Diptheria
Skip the vaccine for this disease. Lemon Juice Treatment still proves as one of the most powerful antiseptics and the strong digestive qualities of the fruit are admired around the world. With the juice every hour or two, and at the same time, 1/2 to 1 tsp. should be swallowed. This cuts loose the false membrane in the throat and permits it to come out.

By far the best one. "Don't prevent this disease like an idiot, contract it first and then cure yourself with loving lemon juice on the hour every hour!"

Judge Schnoopy has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Oct 28, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

John Summerly is nutritionist, herbologist, and homeopathic practitioner.

Fuckin lol.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Aggressive pricing posted:

Oh, she'll need those googles Saturday night, but it won't be for onions...

:gizz:

Goddamnit, you beautiful bastard .

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Today's #lifehack is all about lemons

http://www.trueactivist.com/45-uses-for-lemons-that-will-blow-your-socks-off/

Dump it, floor, animal, poo poo, yadda yadda.

By far the best one. "Don't prevent this disease like an idiot, contract it first and then cure yourself with loving lemon juice on the hour every hour!"

Hey now be fair. Lemons have a long and splendid history in the treatment and prevention of disease.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Moose posted:

I didnt think autists cared about pasta that wasnt spaghetti-os

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I wish it were that easy :smith:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CJacobs posted:

I wish it were that easy :smith:

You mean you dont just crush it in your hand and drink of it juice?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I meant to stop being sad, but that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Hell, I didn't even know that neurotypical spaghetti could talk.