Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

My Imaginary GF posted:

http://checkplease.wttw.com/restaurants/central-gyros

...tastes loving amazing

Next is where its at for more normal dining out

we usually do one meal like that per year. last year was breeze in bangkok and this year is probably alinea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

if i could've done it again i would've joined the military out of high school. federal hiring priority, free stuff, and people won't stop talking about how great you are

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

"making GBS threads on 'modern' things as 'pretentious'"

modern art fine but are you really going to say molecular cooking isn't pretentious as hell

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

baw posted:

we usually do one meal like that per year. last year was breeze in bangkok and this year is probably alinea

Nice, might I recommend stopping at Pops for Champaign for drinks after, and Russian Tea Room while you're in town?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

modern art fine but are you really going to say molecular cooking isn't pretentious as hell
why

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Modern art kicks rear end, and IMO art as a whole didn't really get interesting until Dada. Nerds just like to poo poo on modern art because they have to feel superior about their STEM degrees.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nice, might I recommend stopping at Pops for Champaign for drinks after, and Russian Tea Room while you're in town?

cool. we will do those things

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

because migf loves it, see that video he posted like a million pages ago

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if i could have done it all again i would do the same thing again, my 20's owned i got really drunk and did a lot of drugs and chased tail and had a good time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Randler posted:

What's more pretentious: Modern art or modern (molecular) cooking?

Trick question: molecular gastronomy is, in fact, an act of artistic creation. :smug: (no, I don't actually believe this).

Pretension is difficult to nail down, and probably has more to do with users/commentators than creators.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if i could have done it all again i would do the same thing again, my 20's owned i got really drunk and did a lot of drugs and chased tail and had a good time

Me 2. Well that I would do it all again, but really I just studied a lot.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
re:art and cooking, Badger had the right answer. :)

I'd probably go into banking if I could do it all again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The problem is trying to convince your parents to get you Apple stock for Christmas and Birthdays.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

I'd probably go into banking if I could do it all again.
a different shade of grey

baw
Nov 5, 2008

it would be kinda nice to have gotten into war profiteering earlier on but i'm still pumped on my useless economics degree

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Trick question: molecular gastronomy is, in fact, an act of artistic creation. :smug: (no, I don't actually believe this).

Pretension is difficult to nail down, and probably has more to do with users/commentators than creators.

actually pretension is what the elites call people lower than them that are acting 'above their class'.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
What a bunch of gripers. I'd do the same thing but get more sleep and maybe eat better / exercise more.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Cheekio posted:

What a bunch of gripers. I'd do the same thing but get more sleep and maybe eat better / exercise more.

Honestly my one regret is that I didn't play a team sport in high school. I mean honesty in retrospect I would probably have done the same thing over again but I think the discipline re: physical fitness and the teamwork aspect would have been good to get earlier in my life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually I would've used my extensive knowledge of the future to garner massive wealth and retire to a life of idle luxury at 22.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
zoux you were that kid who tried to add dynamite to every game of Rock Paper Scissors werent you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothin' beats dynamite.

But yeah my imagination fucks up simple things like wishing in the mornings that I could stop time so I could sleep longer before I go to work and then ten minutes later I'm thinking about how to build a life around robbing time-stopped banks in a way that wouldn't draw suspicion from the IRS.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Actually I would've used my extensive knowledge of the future to garner massive wealth and retire to a life of idle luxury at 22.

that can be risky

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
"The same matter can't occupy the same space."

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

here's nick cave speaking out against culture budget cuts in belgium

i'm like rock hard watching this. this is perfect. it's like it was made for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also if you stopped time you probably couldn't see because photons wouldn't be moving but maybe if you walked forward then you could see but I don't know how fast photons have to be going in order for your retina to detect them or if that even matters.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cheekio posted:

"The same matter can't occupy the same space."

"Your mom says different."

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

would you age while time is stopped?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

you cant walk forward if u stop time

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Badger of Basra posted:

there's nothing in modernist food that is inherently pretentious it's just gen-x goons getting older and making GBS threads on things that aren't like they used or that they don't understand

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
what if you got the power to stop time from an evil genie and you used it and time stopped everywhere except in your brain, forever

nasty

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Oh my goodness somebody figured out a new way to cook something, how pretentious

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Oh look somebody made a food in a special way that changes it's textures or tricks the diner into thinking it's something else

this is an entirely new thing that has existed for hundreds of years

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

would you age while time is stopped?

I'd have this whole list of things to stipulate to the genie so he wouldn't monkey paw me in the rear end. This would be one and the answer would be: no.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

R. Mute posted:

here's nick cave speaking out against culture budget cuts in belgium

i'm like rock hard watching this. this is perfect. it's like it was made for me.

This is an important issue. Without the culture budget the world would miss out on many talented artists from Belgium such as

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Oh look somebody made a food in a special way that changes it's textures or tricks the diner into thinking it's something else

this is an entirely new thing that has existed for hundreds of years

I'm sure some Assyrians were bitching about that new "Apple Bread" that their kids came up with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apple bread?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Monkey's paw: you gain the power to manipulate time with no physics bullshit, you can see and stop time and jump back and forth to whenever you want or whatever, but on the other hand, you have to actually become doctor who

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

This is an important issue. Without the culture budget the world would miss out on many talented artists from Belgium such as
i think we've actually been over The List Of Belgians You Actually Do Know You loving Liar earlier in the thread, so i'll just say that at least my country doesn't unironically like david hasselhoff's singing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you can't trick a genie zoux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Randler posted:

wim delvoye

• Locked thread