Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
three wishes:

1 next time i play the lottery i win the highest prize possible
2 tell me truthfully if releasing a djinn from bondage would cause harm to a person
3 back in the bottle/you're free to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you can't trick a genie zoux

I bet I can I think about it a whole lot.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Chantilly Say posted:

Monkey's paw: you gain the power to manipulate time with no physics bullshit, you can see and stop time and jump back and forth to whenever you want or whatever, but on the other hand, you have to actually become doctor who

I heard the current Doctor Who is actually pretty cool and not just some schlickfodder for catladies and neckbeards. :shrug:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entremet

To be fair, romans were pretty pretentious

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Also if you stopped time you probably couldn't see because photons wouldn't be moving but maybe if you walked forward then you could see but I don't know how fast photons have to be going in order for your retina to detect them or if that even matters.

detecting photons is an energy level thing though you'd probably be producing hard x-rays at least from running your eyes into photons while time is frozen since you'd be traveling at superluminal velocities

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entremet

To be fair, romans were pretty pretentious

I don't think it's pretentious as much as it's bougie as poo poo and well this article shows that it is literally so.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Randler posted:

I heard the current Doctor Who is actually pretty cool and not just some schlickfodder for catladies and neckbeards. :shrug:

Dr Who is a master of time and space and thus must always be a reborn as a middle aged British white man.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

I don't think it's pretentious as much as it's bougie as poo poo and well this article shows that it is literally so.

Yeah paying more than $30 bucks for two people to eat is always going to be bougie as poo poo but that wasn't the question.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yo gas is like 3.17 a gallon what is going on

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
this is so beautiful

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

euphronius posted:

Are people around you speaking French? Because you might have had too much to drink and took a flight to Europe last night.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Apple bread?

:argh:

euphronius posted:

Realanswer: Its a combination of factors; its either a sign of global shipping freezing up due to the oncoming Ebola-related depression, or America tanking the global market to gently caress Russia over for that whole Ukraine business

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 28, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

three wishes:

1 next time i play the lottery i win the highest prize possible
2 tell me truthfully if releasing a djinn from bondage would cause harm to a person
3 back in the bottle/you're free to go
1 remove that ban on wishing for unlimited wishes
2 unlimited wishes
3 i was going to say have the genie suck my dick but i just nearly stepped on a huge as gently caress spider in my bathroom so now i'm going to say remove all insects from the world and somehow have everything turn out alright
4 and so on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hm a pro first wish....

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

baw posted:

i bought an art last month but sadly it doesnt ruin nature in any way

This was my most recent art purchase:

It speaks to me!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MONDO :argh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

U can't wish for more wishes god

Stop breaking tables ou retards

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

1 remove that ban on wishing for unlimited wishes
2 unlimited wishes
3 i was going to say have the genie suck my dick but i just nearly stepped on a huge as gently caress spider in my bathroom so now i'm going to say remove all insects from the world and somehow have everything turn out alright
4 and so on

You can't trick a djinn, you can remove the ban, however, if you go to make a fourth wish, your tongue will turn to liquid as blood oozes out your mouth and an asteroid falls on your head as a sinkhole opens beneath you while your brain goes into a state of seizure and your heart ceases to beat from all your arteries spontaneously clogging at once.

There are a few fundamental moral positions I stick to without compromise: Don't gently caress with djinn is one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

You can't trick a djinn, you can remove the ban, however, if you go to make a fourth wish, your tongue will turn to liquid as blood oozes out your mouth and an asteroid falls on your head as a sinkhole opens beneath you while your brain goes into a state of seizure and your heart ceases to beat from all your arteries spontaneously clogging at once.

There are a few fundamental moral positions I stick to without compromise: Don't gently caress with djinn is one.

Have you ever read Declare by Tim Powers?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i also bought a jaws tshirt which i feel is art

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow that actually works.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

look, if you want to know which three wishes i would ask first - and thus know what my priorities in life are, truly interesting - you can just ask that instead of forcing all these rules on my wishes. i'll force this genie to do whatever i want

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Not shown: every wish has an ironic twist, and each djinn has their own personality and will react differently to your attempts to converse with them

E:

R. Mute posted:

look, if you want to know which three wishes i would ask first - and thus know what my priorities in life are, truly interesting - you can just ask that instead of forcing all these rules on my wishes. i'll force this genie to do whatever i want

Funny, I thought your state religion would have taught you about the last time that happened....

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 28, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

look all this mixing up of monkey paws with genies is pissing me off!!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not shown: every wish has an ironic twist, and each djinn has their own personality and will react differently to your attempts to converse with them

Look at this motherfucker saying that the top 1% of wish-havers gonna go galt if we don't treat them well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd ask for
1 one billion dollars
2 a cure for cancer
3 cold fusion

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

See I'd wish for one billion dollars annual income, indexed to inflation and sourced from the coffers of the top 100 international companies.
Then I'd wish for eternal youth.
I'd bank the last one to undo the inevitable monkey paw twist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

R. Mute posted:

look all this mixing up of monkey paws with genies is pissing me off!!

Traditional "Arabian Nights" style genies either instantly declare their intent to slaughter you the instant you release them from their wax-sealed prison, granting you only the choice of the manner of your demise (which you must use to trick them back into their jar), or else are the "Slave of the Lamp/Ring" and just do whatever the owner of said lamp or ring wants. Aladdin gets his genie to do like an infinite amount of stuff.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

1. a billion dollars
2. cure for cancer
3. gas the politoons thread

made of bees
May 21, 2013

I'm not quite sure on how genies work but I think the genie would just use this as an opportunity to just gently caress other genies non-stop.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

I'd ask for
1 one billion dollars
2 a cure for cancer
3 cold fusion

>inventory

Your backpack now has: 13.6 pounds of Confederate script, one bottle of cider [refills once every 24 hours], and 500,000 Class A shares of Lockheed-Martin.

E:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Traditional "Arabian Nights" style genies either instantly declare their intent to slaughter you the instant you release them from their wax-sealed prison, granting you only the choice of the manner of your demise (which you must use to trick them back into their jar), or else are the "Slave of the Lamp/Ring" and just do whatever the owner of said lamp or ring wants. Aladdin gets his genie to do like an infinite amount of stuff.

I find it a bit sad that Arabian Nights isn't a standard in American curriculumn. There are some English translations that are master works of literature in their own right.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 28, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
hmm wonder why that is

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

My Imaginary GF posted:

I find it a bit sad that Arabian Nights isn't a standard in American curriculumn. There are some English translations that are master works of literature in their own right.

Even the most heavily bowdlerized legitimate translation would be far, far, too racy for the American public school system (not to mention sexist, racist, etc.) A major reason Aladdin and Ali Baba are the most popular stories in the west is that they're by far the cleanest out of the whole assortment. (My personal favorite translation is Mardrus & Mathers).

That said Best-Loved Folktales from Around the World really should be a textbook somewhere.

My Imaginary GF posted:

>inventory

Your backpack now has: 13.6 pounds of Confederate script

Depending on condition, you could sell it off to collectors, over time . . .

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 28, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
We got some Bulfinch's Mythology in the conservative rural area I grew up in, and that was pretty racy.

Also Huck Finn, and that's pretty racist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Zeitgueist posted:

Oh my goodness somebody figured out a new way to cook something, how pretentious

Oh look, someone gave it a unique title, wrote a book, and massively, massively overrates and overcharges for it- rather pretentious.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 28, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh look, someone gave it a unique title, wrote a book, and massively, massivelyoverrates and overcharges for it- rather pretentious.
then it seems like you shouldn't be opposed to the cooking itself

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh look, someone gave it a unique title, wrote a book, and massively, massivelyoverrates and overcharges for it- rather pretentious.

Then don't buy Modernist Cuisine.

You don't need that book to cook like that.

Also,

R. Mute posted:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'd wish for post scarcity boxes.
Simple boxes that come in many sizes with a aural user interface, a door much like a microwave or fridge that when sealed can be set to conjure any and all matter and materials like a sandwich or a cylinder of Helium, which I hear is scarce now a days. And it's not like that retarded replicator from Star Trek where you need matter to start with, this thing pulls what you ask it for from infinite dimensions where stuff probably exists just to be transported to the box.

Interested to know how this will backfire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

R. Mute posted:

see: my previous post.

Discendo Vox posted:

Pretension is difficult to nail down, and probably has more to do with users/commentators than creators.

• Locked thread