Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Debating whether i2 or i4 is more boring is like debating whether genital warts or herpes is better. What you want to get is neither (get a v-twin).

Preach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Debating whether i2 or i4 is more boring is like debating whether genital warts or herpes is better. What you want to get is neither (get a v-twin).

you mean v-four

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anything more than one cylinder is too many cylinders.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If we lived in a backwards universe where bikes started off as I4's and then V-twins were the late-comer engine championed by japanese brands and now dominating the market, rev and others would be waxing lyrical about the old-school power and smoothness and revvy balance of the glorious I4 compared to the agricultural, soulless lumpyness of the v-twin.

Also lol @ saying P-twins are boring because of application choices; the exact same argument applies to I4's. Ride a literbike and tell me inline fours are boring.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Anything more than one cylinder is too many cylinders.

Thumpthumpthumpthump

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

If we lived in a backwards universe where bikes started off as I4's and then V-twins were the late-comer engine championed by japanese brands and now dominating the market, rev and others would be waxing lyrical about the old-school power and smoothness and revvy balance of the glorious I4 compared to the agricultural, soulless lumpyness of the v-twin.

Also lol @ saying P-twins are boring because of application choices; the exact same argument applies to I4's. Ride a literbike and tell me inline fours are boring.
I rode a Kawasaki something 1000 and didn't care for it at all. Now what

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My Bandit is still the most terrifying motorcycle I've ever ridden but that's because it's an I-4 that thinks it's a V-twin. Bore out inline, best of both worlds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

I rode a Kawasaki something 1000 and didn't care for it at all. Now what

I agree, the versys 1000 is pretty poo poo :smugdog:

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My Bandit is still the most terrifying motorcycle I've ever ridden but that's because it's an I-4 that thinks it's a V-twin. Bore out inline, best of both worlds.

Yeah this is the conclusion I've reached. Ideally I'd want a gigantic retarded I4, a decent v-twin and a V-four sportbike.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Is there any benefit or reason to tell a dealer that you're looking for a used model of a bike? I can't imagine they can do much other than notifying you if one gets traded in.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nope. Go to some bike meets and tell people that you're looking for that bike.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

you mean v-four
This. V-twins are for lawnmowers.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
P twins are cool if they are 2t or if they are mv agustas from the 60s. I've owned pretty much every type of common configuration out there except any of the 6 cly things out there. VTwins are objectively the best motor for a street bike. Even the Harley twin is pretty nice, they are just bolted to total poo poo.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

We can all agree V-twins are the best, the question is, what is second bestest?

I vote HO Thumpers

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

We can all agree V-twins are the best, the question is, what is second bestest?

V-4 engines. Aprilia Tuono V4R, RSV4R, Honda VFR, Yamaha V-Max.

Pretty stellar lineup of excellent motorcycles right there, none can be complained about.

e: forgot the "4" in RSV4R

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Professor Wayne posted:

Right now, this DRZ is my top contender. I've been talking to the seller and will look at it in a few days. What do you guys think? I plan on taking the soda stickers off.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4716171761.html
Just looked the this DRZ. It could be in better shape. It has a switch instead of an ignition key, no back pegs, finicky clutch, and it's all pasti-dipped and stickered out. It was a lot of fun to test ride, though. I can't decide if I want to lowball or walk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The big number at the top is pretty exciting but you have to get to those big numbers for it to be exciting. A good twin will put a grin on your face going from 0-30 off the lights.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Professor Wayne posted:

Just looked the this DRZ. It could be in better shape. It has a switch instead of an ignition key, no back pegs, finicky clutch, and it's all pasti-dipped and stickered out. It was a lot of fun to test ride, though. I can't decide if I want to lowball or walk.

$3700 might be a bit much for a drz with 19k miles and just a slipon. Plastidip doesn't mean much on a bike where you can get a full new set of plastics for about $130 though.

In what way was the clutch finicky?

E: A switch in place of an ignition key would make me wary of ever taking it anywhere.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 27, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Marxalot posted:

$3700 might be a bit much for a drz with 19k miles and just a slipon. Plastidip doesn't mean much on a bike where you can get a full new set of plastics for about $130 though.

In what way was the clutch finicky?

E: A switch in place of an ignition key would make me wary of ever taking it anywhere.

The clutch just needs adjusting, I think. It doesn't engage until you've almost completely let go of it. I would guess it's not a huge deal to adjust on my own, but I'm still a bit of a newbie. I would definitely get an ignition kit first thing before taking it out. I think they run about 120 if I want a kit that includes the gas cap.

edit- The fact that I'm so much on the fence about this is a good enough sign for me. Texting the guy now and backing out.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 27, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The big number at the top is pretty exciting but you have to get to those big numbers for it to be exciting. A good twin will put a grin on your face going from 0-30 off the lights.

My ZRX was perfectly capable of doing that too. It's more about the way the engine is tuned, the type of bike and the aim of the manufacturer. Fours are just much easier (hint: CHEAPER!) to make into a screaming powerhouse. Arguing over engine configurations based on preference is all to the good, but debating them in an engineering sense just shows how far out of their depth most people on here are.

Every engine that puts a smile on your face is a good engine.

Except for parallel twins :colbert:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm not going to sit around and wait for another DRZ to pop up in my area. I think I can survive on a more standard bike. Here are some choices I found today that look promising:

2006 CBR Honda 599 Hornet
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4650608209.html
Seems like a pretty good bike for a pretty good price. Does have a good bit more horsepower than I'm used to. Also, it's pretty.

2002 Suzuki GS500 Black 6-speed 487cc
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcd/4650824406.html
Seems like a nice-sized bike for someone with my experience. I actually just called the dealership and they sold that particular one the other day, but got a 2009 model in today they want to sell for about $2.9k. The new one does have fairings, which I don't love.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4697859434.html
These are all over craigslist. On one hand, their popularity might mean that it's a good all-around bike for a decent price. But on the other hand, it might be a challenge to sell again in a year or so when I want something nicer.

Any of these jump out at anyone as a solid pick?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Haven't ridden any of these, but the hornet looks like a smokin' deal. I would guess there's more to the story, perhaps high miles or the obligatory drop that seems to always occur at 5mph in these ads.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think going from a DRZ to a GS500 would leave you pretty disappointed. The other two are a decent step up though.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Hornets are supposed to be great bikes. I'd have a look up close.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Professor Wayne posted:

Seems like a pretty good bike for a pretty good price. Does have a good bit more horsepower than I'm used to. Also, it's pretty.

I've been looking into Honda 599s myself and this is a good price at least compared to what I've been seeing around here on CL.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I called the guy and am arranging to take a look at it Wednesday. Hopefully I will be able to sneak off work for a bit during lunch.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You should be looking at that 599 yesterday. It looks like it might be a little mish mash of parts - those wheels don't look stock. Very nice price for a very solid bike. Trigger warning - it has carbs.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

$6500 for a 17k mile 2007 bike is too much right? My friend brought one of these brand new towards the end of their manufacture and he let me ride it a few times before he moved.

Blew my hair back. Kawasaki Mean Streak.

http://www.bobzbikz.com/2007-Kawasaki-Mean-Streak-Special-Edition-Kingman-Kansas-67068/5148343

Or..... http://www.bobzbikz.com/2008-Triumph-Rocket-III-Kingman-Kansas-67068/5141272

If anyone wants to craigslist for a nice 1000cc+ cruiser in my area... craigslist with 67220.

Want to buy this fall to get my savings on. Prefer a dealer just... I got a good negotiator and if it goes to poo poo I have the resources to resolve it without small claims court.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 28, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

You should be looking at that 599 yesterday. It looks like it might be a little mish mash of parts - those wheels don't look stock. Very nice price for a very solid bike. Trigger warning - it has carbs.

They look like the factory wheels painted gold. It also has a bunch of ebay wank-wank poo poo bolted to it by the look. They also don't come with USD forks, I wonder what they fell off of? He went to the trouble of swapping the forks but keeping the factory brakes.

craigslist listing posted:

this bike is lighter and faster than a regular CBR 600

Haha what?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

They look like the factory wheels painted gold. It also has a bunch of ebay wank-wank poo poo bolted to it by the look. They also don't come with USD forks, I wonder what they fell off of? He went to the trouble of swapping the forks but keeping the factory brakes.

I was curious about this as well but when I started reading it looks like they changed things up to a USD fork configuration in 2006. The article claims they didn't even bother importing any in 2005 due to lackluster sales. So I'm going to guess that outside of the occasional harmless farkle, that is an otherwise 100% stock bike.

Looks good, I always wanted a Hornet myself but could never find one for a reasonable price. I'd jump on it and ride it until the apocalypse because it's a Honda.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

I was curious about this as well but when I started reading it looks like they changed things up to a USD fork configuration in 2006. The article claims they didn't even bother importing any in 2005 due to lackluster sales. So I'm going to guess that outside of the occasional harmless farkle, that is an otherwise 100% stock bike.

Looks good, I always wanted a Hornet myself but could never find one for a reasonable price. I'd jump on it and ride it until the apocalypse because it's a Honda.

Huh. Those rat bastards, the 919 had to soldier on with conventional forks until it was replaced! I've also literally never seen a hornet 600 with USD's before so I assumed it wasn't factory. Learned something today!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Huh. Those rat bastards, the 919 had to soldier on with conventional forks until it was replaced! I've also literally never seen a hornet 600 with USD's before so I assumed it wasn't factory. Learned something today!

Honda has a hard-on for putting conventional forks on their high-dollar bikes while giving the smaller, cheaper units USD tech. See the $11,000 Honda CB1100 versus the freaking Grom.

I love Honda like a fat kid loves cake but those guys make some weird decisions. :psyduck:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm not sure what's weirder, the radial brakes attached to conventional forks on the new VFR800, or ABS being only available with the dual clutch transmission on the NC700X.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is a GPZ 550 too much bike for a beginner? I have my MSF and I've ridden a lot of scooters in Asia but never stateside. 6' 200lbs here. I looked into the new Ninja 300 as well.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4690487014.html

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not a bad bike, but it is old. Budget for a few hundred dollars worth of repairs (in addition to wear items like tires) at least a couple times a year, I'd say.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ripoff posted:

Honda has a hard-on for putting conventional forks on their high-dollar bikes while giving the smaller, cheaper units USD tech. See the $11,000 Honda CB1100 versus the freaking Grom.

I love Honda like a fat kid loves cake but those guys make some weird decisions. :psyduck:

USD is hardly tech and frankly for street bikes (and probably most mere mortals riding sportbikes at the track) it makes very little difference. They're usually stiffer but I think that's about it. You can put fancy internals in either type of fork.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

n8r posted:

USD is hardly tech and frankly for street bikes (and probably most mere mortals riding sportbikes at the track) it makes very little difference. They're usually stiffer but I think that's about it. You can put fancy internals in either type of fork.

This debate rages endlessly in mountainbike forums, expect there's a preference for standard forks. Frankly, if it's a good quality fork with good internals and tolerances both should perform fine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

There's less unspring weight with USD forks but again like you say for 99.9% of road riders it won't make a lick of difference.

(I think USD forks look cooler though, and I suspect that's probably as far as most people's real underlying caring about the difference comes from)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Update: I just got back from looking at the bike and am on board with it. Needs a little work on minor things (running rich, pegs are lovely, no license plate holder), but is otherwise very solid. Guy is delivering it to my house tonight. Huzzah.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
so I'm looking at getting my first bike. Passed MSF last weekend and got my license on Monday.

I have a couple of dumb questions when looking at used bikes, though.

1) What's good, acceptable mileage for bikes? How would you translate "bike" miles to "car" miles? I see one huge 1500cc bike with 30k miles on it for instance, and a nice honda shadow RS ( THIS GUY) with 4600 miles on it. What would you say the ranges for "low miles" and "high miles" are?

Looking at gear (helmets specifically) and see huge price differences for helmets that look similar to me. I see things like THIS for $50, while I see THIS (which is probably what i'm leaning to get) all the way to expensive as hell helmets like THIS. What are some of the differences that make some of these so expensive and others so cheap? What kind of things should I look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Don't get an open-face helmet, guy. As long as it's a SNELL or ECE rated fullface, it'll be fine. More expensive = lighter, quieter, better build quality of non-structural components. Don't get an open face helmet.

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 30, 2014