Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its kind of sad though, because they don't get called out on it by their own party enough....

Nobody calls people out in their own party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, they loving do. What is with you lately? All your recent posts have this weird "both sides have good points" equivocation feel to them. Sometimes people are just racist, sexist, greedy assholes. After a certain point there's not really anything left to do but condemn and oppose them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gee sorry I'm not participating in the "boy I sure do hate the Republican party" fest everywhere. I thought that was a given and didn't need to constantly be repeated. It's cool to sit around and be mad at the state GOP and fume and post words about it on the Internet or I could recognize them as people with complex motivations and histories and try to understand why they feel and act the way they do instead of assuming the all sit in their smoke filled rooms cackling and rubbing their hands together at the thought of screwing over minorities and women. This dehumanization of the other side that both parties do is like the #1 reason politics in the US is an intractable dysfunctional mess but hey if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That's a strawman and you know it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No more than "all my posts are equivocation" because I think that the electorate couldn't tolerate a Connollyesque statement.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

No more than "all my posts are equivocation" because I think that the electorate couldn't tolerate a Connollyesque statement.

Zoux, go out, drive to Buda, Karnes, Bee county, etc, talk with people in those places, go to the wealthy areas of austin, Houston, San antonio, meet them as I have, Talk with lobbiests, lawyers, prison guards, architects and all the various sorts, and see that they really are cackling in smoke filled rooms at the the thought of screwing over minorities and women.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Swan Oat posted:

What about ethics in games journalism? Will Dan Patrick and Greg Abbott tackle this.

Ethics in government is actually a really important issue in this state. We've had some spectacular conflict-of-interest cases in the state legislator, and now that there is some major statewide journalism happening statewide thanks to the Texas Tribune, people are starting to see just how bad it's gotten. (And also seeing just how a lot of our laws are preventing disclosure that would reveal even more conflicts of interest.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gahmah posted:

Zoux, go out, drive to Buda, Karnes, Bee county, etc, talk with people in those places, go to the wealthy areas of austin, Houston, San antonio, meet them as I have, Talk with lobbiests, lawyers, prison guards, architects and all the various sorts, and see that they really are cackling in smoke filled rooms at the the thought of screwing over minorities and women.

:thejoke:

zoux posted:

This dehumanization of the other side that both parties do is like the #1 reason politics in the US is an intractable dysfunctional mess but hey if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Right, nevermind Republicans do it and win, but Democrats are supposed to be above that or something and win (lose).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Right, nevermind Republicans do it and win, but Democrats are supposed to be above that or something and win (lose).

Republicans ability to say awful things and get elected has less to do with it being an effective tactic and more about the structural advantage Republicans have in the places they get away with saying awful things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Republicans ability to say awful things and get elected has less to do with it being an effective tactic and more about the structural advantage Republicans have in the places they get away with saying awful things.

Not to mention the crowd they appeal to that absolutely lap up awful things.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Not to mention the crowd they appeal to that absolutely lap up awful things.

Sure, but that exists on both sides. There are many liberal audiences that will lap up awful things about Republicans, they just don't sway elections outside of Austin City Council.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, but that exists on both sides. There are many liberal audiences that will lap up awful things about Republicans, they just don't sway elections outside of Austin City Council.

I didn't mean dirt slinging just between parties, but the dirt slinging that the GOP tends to throw in the Texas political rings at groups like immigrants, liberals, progressives, women, etc.

Regardless of the Dems in Texas say some poo poo about the GOP, the amount of mud the GOP finds time to throw outside of the political circle against people that are essentially their own constituents baffles me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I didn't mean dirt slinging just between parties, but the dirt slinging that the GOP tends to throw in the Texas political rings at groups like immigrants, liberals, progressives, women, etc.

Regardless of the Dems in Texas say some poo poo about the GOP, the amount of mud the GOP finds time to throw outside of the political circle against people that are essentially their own constituents baffles me.

I'm saying that you'll find liberals do that same poo poo all the time, just it doesn't matter in Texas because liberals have no power. You might be surprised about how quickly the insults will fly against the rural poor/hunters/middle class families/etc from otherwise progressive people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Guys, guys, guys, the truth is in the middle. The left often says that the rightwingers are completely unamerican sleeper terrorists on national television, and is well known to be in the business of denying people rights, while calling them inhuman monsters whose sins will destroy the nation and spread disease. I mean I just saw the Michael Moore documentary about how Evangelicals are a blight upon this earth and must be eradicated completely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you ever find yourself posting unironically "the truth is in the middle :smug:" please stop posting forever. It's using the fact that people on this board hate South Park to promote loving extremeism and absolve the left of any kind of accountablity or blame. I get really loving mad when I see Republicans accusing Dems of doing things they do or have done themselves and if you think it's fine for D's to do the same to their opponents but not for the R's to do you are officially part of the problem.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Well that was empty, anyone had any luck with talking to others about voting for the transport money/proposition thing? Some of the drivers at my work are against voting for it because of "debt" and also that it isn't their ideal solution of loving ski lift chairs going all around Austin. There is lovely stuff about the proposition as I understand it, but what are some ways of talking to people to bring them down from, "not my ideal solution" towards progress?

Also motivating people to get out and vote rather than feel apathetic, I am physically strong enough to overpower them and take them to the polls but that seems immoral.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

If you ever find yourself posting unironically "the truth is in the middle :smug:" please stop posting forever. It's using the fact that people on this board hate South Park to promote loving extremeism and absolve the left of any kind of accountablity or blame. I get really loving mad when I see Republicans accusing Dems of doing things they do or have done themselves and if you think it's fine for D's to do the same to their opponents but not for the R's to do you are officially part of the problem.
I think nucleicmaxid has a point. You need to relax more.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Nobody can be accountable for photo ID and denying voters the right to vote other than Republicans. It was as transparent a power play as all get out and when people are presented with evidence of little to no voter fraud, you hear the same fallacies about bank accounts and poo poo.

So while the Dems are terrible, the Republicans are off the loving map.

zoux posted:

Nobody calls people out in their own party.

Also, the Dems were glad to throw Kesha Rogers under the bus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If 20 percent of the hardcore base were LaRouchites, they wouldn't have.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
From a conservative point-of-view, but I like Michael Dougherty and think this interesting:

http://theweek.com/article/index/270740/how-wendy-davis-became-the-todd-akin-of-the-2014-midterms

Basic argument is that while Republicans have imploded on social issues, this doesn't necessarily rebound to the Democrats' benefit. A Democrat that becomes very closely associated with social issues (like Wendy Davis, and Mark Udall in Colorado) struggle because of it.

quote:

I'm a social conservative through and through. I think that social issues are legitimate political issues, and that it is important to debate them. But social issues are rating near the bottom of voter concerns heading into the 2014 election. Abortion and other social issues rarely rate more than a few percentage points above zero when Gallup polls voters on their concerns. It turns out that the Republican implosion on social issues in 2012 was not a prelude to Democratic triumphs on the same.

There may be a left-of-center coalition that can win Texas. But a politician like Wendy Davis, raised to premature celebrity by a social issues showdown, was never going to be the one to find and lead it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
As an aside, the pro-rail Austin flyers in my mail are hilarious. I think the plan is a boondoggle but I love their marketing/propaganda. I want to hang it up on my fridge. Like the "Greetings From Austin: The Traffic Capitol of Texas" in the mural-artwork style, but instead of the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue and buildings making up the lettering, it's traffic jams. Oh, and the one with the big words CLUSTER&$@*!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

As an aside, the pro-rail Austin flyers in my mail are hilarious. I think the plan is a boondoggle but I love their marketing/propaganda. I want to hang it up on my fridge. Like the "Greetings From Austin: The Traffic Capitol of Texas" in the mural-artwork style, but instead of the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue and buildings making up the lettering, it's traffic jams. Oh, and the one with the big words CLUSTER&$@*!

What exactly makes it a "boondoggle" in your mind?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I don't like to post stuff like that because it just feeds the machine. Like I'm a pretty liberal person and am surrounded by progressives, but if I log into Facebook, it's full of people spiking their blood pressure over the latest outrage. There's a time and place for it, but that sort of constant drip has to lead to constant unhappiness.

But nothing you can really do about it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

What exactly makes it a "boondoggle" in your mind?
Not a transit expert. But I think this makes the case:

quote:

I'll just sum up my own criticism of the Prop. 1plan by saying that I've consistently seen it as a sort of "urban jewelry" approach to rail transit — in this case, primarily an expensive amenity for a faction of local real estate developers, plus expansion ambitions by the University of Texas administration — rather than a bona fide effort to address real mobility needs and traffic congestion. For that, our alternative plan, routed in a central corridor defined by major arterials called North Lamar and Guadalupe St., seems a far better option. As a recent article in Austin Rail Now explains, a route serving that corridor would likely cost half as much as the official $1.4 billion, 9.5-mile plan, while offering the prospect of three times as much ridership.

Sometimes, an official rail plan might be a really bad idea. I see Prop. 1 as a proposal that would offer relatively little actual benefit while consuming a lot of available resources, and "soaking up the oxygen" of funding for future rail in our city.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/blogs/lyndon-henry/should-rail-transit-advocates-never-oppose-a-rail-project.html

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Badger of Basra posted:

We actually asked him about gentrification and his response was "hey at least they get a good price when they sell and move out!"
This was back a few pages, but this is literally what people tell me when I tell them my mother is getting property taxed out of her home in Austin. It seems to be a regrettably prevalent attitude even among liberals. :sigh:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 28, 2014

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Also, the Dems were glad to throw Kesha Rogers under the bus.

Kesha Rogers' #1 policy priority was impeaching Obama on the theory that

http://www.kesharogers.com/impeach_obama posted:

President Barack H. Obama is willfully advancing the post-9/11 banker's dictatorship initiated by his predecessor, George W. Bush, Jr., and must be legally removed from office immediately, by impeachment, resignation, or Section IV of the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Mr. Obama has pushed policies made notorious by the Adolph Hitler regime, and since condemned by the entire world. His flagrant violations of the U.S. Constitution, national and international law, in addition to posing a clear and present danger of new violations, including martial law, thermonuclear war and the violent suppression of peaceful domestic opposition, warrant his immediate removal from the office of the Presidency. This is not a Republican or Democratic issue; it is existential to our nation's survival in the midst of a global disintegration of the trans-Atlantic monetary system.

Like, No True Scotsman or whatever, but I don't think there's a whole lot of room in the Democratic Party for a candidate who's laser-focused on removing the sitting Democratic president before he can impose martial law and start WW3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Well, she got 2nd place in the first part of the primary, which is kind of comical and sad at the same time.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
In the Arlington area state senate race (Libby Wilis-D vs Konni Burton-R) some anti-Willis PAC sent out this hilarious :siren: GAY PANIC!!! flier.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Xarthor posted:

In the Arlington area state senate race (Libby Wilis-D vs Konni Burton-R) some anti-Willis PAC sent out this hilarious :siren: GAY PANIC!!! flier.

At least they spelt candidates name right

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ohh if y'all aren't reading Lone Star Q y'all should:

http://www.lonestarq.com/

John Wright needs all the readers he can get.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

you are bad at reading and understanding things. Or I am. Whatever. Alls I know is that even though she's going to lose? We should all stand with Wendy, because Abbott can't.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not standing with Wendy. I'm standing near Wendy, but also kinda looking around puzzled.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol anyone here represented by Dawna Dukes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R6N25LO040

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aliquid posted:

lol anyone here represented by Dawna Dukes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R6N25LO040

I mean nothing inaccurate was said there.

I gotta say if your main ad is "haha I can roll faster than traffic right?! (cut the budget)" it's fair game to say you do in fact roll around.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It would be more insensitive to say walks around, I think.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god Texas Democrats are the worst

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The man rolls and, again in fairness he made it a literal campaign ad first.

So just so I have it clear, the way Abbot is just under siege for being disabled is:

1) It was said it's pretty hosed up that a guy in a wheelchair who profited off the legal system wants to deny that right to others in equal situations.

2) Some rando talking to a crowd of what fifty said he 'rolls around' when normally she'd say 'walk' or 'strut', both would be legitimately rather tasteless to say RE a disabled dude who cannot either walk nor strut.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goes. Say goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That also is a valid thing to say, yes, but it's not a loving attack to say the man rolls. She didn't call him a gimp or something, she used the correct verb for the thing he does to move.