Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

For the Hellblazer/Constantine movie, they replaced a redheaded brit with Keanu Reeves, and that turned out just...

Ok. Bad example.

John Constantine was blonde in the comics. God! Don't you care about the integrity of characters!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really enjoyed the movie, although I never read the comics at the time.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I really enjoyed the movie, although I never read the comics at the time.

It was actually a pretty good movie, it just wasn't a Hellblazer movie.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, I've never read the Hellblazer comics and I really enjoyed Constantine. Would've liked an extended version with some of the deleted scenes, one in particular.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, I've never read the Hellblazer comics and I really enjoyed Constantine. Would've liked an extended version with some of the deleted scenes, one in particular.

I never read them either, but I know enough about them to realize they missed the mark entirely.

The central character needs to be pretty much a hard boiled British conman or it's already off the rails. Any word on the TV show?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hangedman1984 posted:

One of the best Satans in film ever, too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

I never read them either, but I know enough about them to realize they missed the mark entirely.

The central character needs to be pretty much a hard boiled British conman or it's already off the rails. Any word on the TV show?

Watch the show, it's hard boiled and plenty british

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

One of the best Satans in film ever, too.

Don't forget Stormare will be in Arrow as the other Count Vertigo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The MSJ posted:

Don't forget Stormare will be in Arrow as the other Count Vertigo.

That already happened.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh, I know all that. It's a complete miss on adapting what I know about Hellblazer - I just meant I enjoyed it as a gritty supernatural action thriller on its own.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BreakAtmo posted:

Oh, I know all that. It's a complete miss on adapting what I know about Hellblazer - I just meant I enjoyed it as a gritty supernatural action thriller on its own.

See, I thought it was a boring, but incredibly GOOD looking movie. Every shot was dripping with delights for my eyes, but Keanu cannot emote for poo poo in any way that isn't dumb, to me. I'll still always be fond of the movie, because it introduced me to Tilda Swinton, and Peter Stormare was incredible in it.

Back to this show, I'm really surprised how they've managed to have so many episodes in a row where I went WHEN IS IT NEXT WEEK right at the end. I can't recall a show that did that to me after such a slow start, and I was one of those weirdos who was genuinely enjoying season 1 prior to Turn, Turn, Turn.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, it's a really great time to enjoy comic book based television. This show just loving skyrocketed, Arrow and Flash rock, and having just watched the series premiere of Constantine, it shows promise.

And...there's Gotham, too.

I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Smallville, Birds of Prey and The Tick on all at the same time? Truly, this is the golden age of comic book based television.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Literally the only good decision the Tick made was casting Patrick Warburton.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The Sharmat posted:

Literally the only good decision the Tick made was casting Patrick Warburton.

Nestor Carbonell as Batmanuel was also pretty good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yes but his name wasn't Der Fledermaus, which just ruins it for me.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Yes but his name wasn't Der Fledermaus, which just ruins it for me.
I like Batmanuel better than Der Fledermaus. Also, the casting of Arthur was pretty good too, I thought. That show was such a loving mess, but I can't imagine what else could be done with such a ridiculously small budget in a time when Mystery Men was the best superhero movie in cinemas.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Are you badmouthing Mystery Men?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I certainly hope not. I rewatched Mystery Men for the first time in 15 years a few months ago and it actually holds up really well.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Michael Bay as leader of the frat boy gang will never stop being hilarious.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Whalley posted:

I like Batmanuel better than Der Fledermaus. Also, the casting of Arthur was pretty good too, I thought. That show was such a loving mess, but I can't imagine what else could be done with such a ridiculously small budget in a time when Mystery Men was the best superhero movie in cinemas.

It was a mess, but I loving loved every minute of that mess. Budget was more or less entirely spent on the ticks antenna so you couldnt actually see anyone doing anything superheroic ever, but there was something about it that just made me laugh.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Well they might get a second chance to do it better:
http://screenrant.com/live-action-tick-tv-show-patrick-warburton-returning/

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Are you badmouthing Mystery Men?
It's one of my favorite movies, and The Tick was one of my favorite shows, but holy crap the latter is a mess and the former is just too weird.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Mystery Men is a lot less weird if you compare its aesthetics to stuff like Batman and Robin, which it was a close contemporary of.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

XboxPants posted:

The new Flash show does this well - Barry would have looked like a total douche if they made him blonde, like that smug blonde detective. Great choice there. On the other hand, Captain America's "blonde hair, blue eyes" plays into his whole "American as apple pie" vibe.

It also has the subtext that he fit into Hitler's ideas of a "Master Race of Supermen" being blonde haired and blue-eyed and on the cover of the first issue there's his "superman" ideal punching him in the face.

The Sharmat posted:

Mystery Men is a lot less weird if you compare its aesthetics to stuff like Batman and Robin, which it was a close contemporary of.

I would chuck Mystery Men into the same category of movies like Buckaroo Banzai and the Big Lebowski in that it gets better every time you watch it. I certainly liked it when I saw MM on release but years later I find it to be a really fun, great movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mystery Men is a movie that would probably find a bigger audience nowadays that people are more primed for superheroes.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tikifire posted:

I would chuck Mystery Men into the same category of movies like Buckaroo Banzai and the Big Lebowski in that it gets better every time you watch it. I certainly liked it when I saw MM on release but years later I find it to be a really fun, great movie.
It was just "haha, wow, how weird, holy crap Geoffrey Rush is amazing" when it came out but now that I've seen it like thirty times I gotta say; it's so weird and Geoffrey Rush is so amazing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tikifire posted:

Its also a fun double feature with Galaxy Quest.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Inhumans and Captain Marvel have been officially announced as phase 3 films for 2018 (back to back.)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
With Inhumans being so far off, it really makes me begin to doubt how involved that angle is with what's currently going on in this show. Feige did say though that the Inhumans content was coming "sooner than we think", so who knows. Though if that's still just applying to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, then I guess it's just as likely SHIELD could involve that angle too since the twins are already involved at this point in the timeline via Winter Soldier.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
May 5, 2015 – Avengers: Age Of Ultron
July 17, 2015 – Ant-Man

May 6, 2016 – Captain America: Civil War
November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange

May 5, 2017 – Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 (previously July 28, 2017)
July 28, 2017 – Thor: Ragnarok
November 3, 2017 – Black Panther

May 4, 2018 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part I
July 6, 2018 – Captain Marvel
November 2, 2018 – The Inhumans

May 3, 2019 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part II

Here's the entire Marvel film line up through May 2019.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Teek posted:

With Inhumans being so far off, it really makes me begin to doubt how involved that angle is with what's currently going on in this show. Feige did say though that the Inhumans content was coming "sooner than we think", so who knows. Though if that's still just applying to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, then I guess it's just as likely SHIELD could involve that angle too since the twins are already involved at this point in the timeline via Winter Soldier.

An Inhumans movie could easily be about the global emergence of the phenomenon as compared to the isolated cases being created through individual exposure.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sir Kodiak posted:

An Inhumans movie could easily be about the global emergence of the phenomenon as compared to the isolated cases being created through individual exposure.

It could also specifically focus on the Black Bolt and his circle of friends/enemies, while the concept of the Inhuman subspecies could be lightly explored before that film.

I kind of wish they treated AoS like the movies. We get roadmaps with the movies that make me, and a bunch of my friends, very excited. With AoS you get nothing. You never know where the season is going or what may be coming down the pipe, which makes it hard to feel hyped about anything. That being said, I'm much more engaged this season than last, and I am actively anticipating each new episode. I just wish it were offering just a bit more.

Flash is a good example. The pilot offered enough information to tease where they are going without spoiling anything and I am pretty hyped to see those things they teased. I have no idea what the Obelisk is, or what Skye and her dad are supposed to be, which makes it hard to be excited because it could be anything, including something boring and lame.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm really leaning towards Skye and her dad being Inhumans what with the movie announcement and all.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Believe what you want, Inhumans on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair). You will probably start to see some TV->film integration, as opposed to just the reverse, beginning with AOU, but that's unlikely to ever be anything more than relatively small cameos or Easter eggs.

SHIELD is a companion series to the film canon, not an integral storytelling engine for it, and it's best to accept that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Barry Convex posted:

Believe what you want, Inhumans on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair). You will probably start to see some TV->film integration, as opposed to just the reverse, beginning with AOU, but that's unlikely to ever be anything more than relatively small cameos or Easter eggs.

SHIELD is a companion series to the film canon, not an integral storytelling engine for it, and it's best to accept that.

Man, you're killing me.
You're fuckin killing me. :negative:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are turned into inhumans then that's just next summer.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Sir Kodiak posted:

If Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are turned into inhumans then that's just next summer.

Feige explicitly denied that earlier this year. Maybe he was lying, but if they're set up in AOU, I think it'll be in another fashion.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

I don't see how Skye and family being Inhumans contradicts that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Hydra was in place from the start of AoS simply under a pseudonym before the Winter Solider reveal. Why can't Skye and dad be aliens who's real origins aren't explored until the Inhuman movie?

• Locked thread