Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have no words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The pic is a photoshop taken from one of the promo pics, which makes me doubt things, but another person on Twitter who's seen the episode (again, with the reveal excluded) suspects that she's a Time Lady helping to bring back Gallifrey using the Cybermen, so...it might line up?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Missy is the reason the Doctor left Gallifrey. Turns out the First Doctor got her pregnant and bailed. Truly a shocking revelation.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
And that baby's name was... Clara Oswald.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Irish Joe posted:

And that baby's name was... Clara Oswald.

Who is also Susan's mom.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HD DAD posted:

That's what I'm hoping.

Also lol the Missy reveal was apparently excluded in the preview copies, replaced with two scenes covered up with big "SCENE EXCLUDED" title cards.

e: uhhhhh either somebody hosed up or this is bullshit.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10...l,manual,manual

Yes, yes!! It begins!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spoilers Below posted:

Yes, yes!! It begins!

As some one who knows nothing about The Rani, who is she beyond "Evil Genius Time Lord"? Any reason people are either excited about this or dreading it like it's the plague?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

As some one who knows nothing about The Rani, who is she beyond "Evil Genius Time Lord"? Any reason people are either excited about this or dreading it like it's the plague?

Kate O'Mara is the brightest spot in two otherwise really lovely adventures. She snarks with Anthony Ainsley and Colin Baker so well that you kinda wish that the entire 90 minute run of Mark of the Rani could just them arguing back and forth about evil ethics and insane harebrained schemes while Nicola Bryant looked uncomfortable in the background. Sadly, O'Mara passed away recently, right before reprising the role for some audiobooks.

Shes one of those characters that's way better in your head then on screen, and that you always wish actually had good episodes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That's pretty much it. Also, every female character in the revival has been proclaimed as secretly being the Rani by internet nerds at some point or another.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't believe the rumors but "actress of the rani passed away recently", "character's identity is the rani", and "episode is insensitive to those who have suffered a loss" all go together disturbingly well.

I thought the rani appeared elsewhere besides C Baker's era, that opens the door for the question of "Who is the valeyard" to finally get disappointing canon answer instead of just being forgotten indefinitely, I guess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Don't you get it!?

We are The VALEYARD!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Acne Rain posted:

I thought the rani appeared elsewhere besides C Baker's era

She appeared in three things.

The first: Mark of the Rani (Colin Baker), a bit of badly thought through camp by Pip and Jane Baker which established the character of The Rani as an amoral genius by doing a search and replace on the Doctor's lines so "The Rani" is replaced by "The Rani, the diabolical amoral genius". Tell don't show at its finest.

The second: Time and the Rani (Sly McCoy), a bit of badly thought through camp by Pip and Jane Baker which is just really terrible and has no saving grace. Not even anything interesting if bad like the companion being sexually assaulted by a tree.

The third: Dimensions in Time (All the fuckers), a bit of badly thought through camp by Pip and Jane Baker John Nathan-Turner which exists in its entirety on Youtube and you should therefore just watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQCeMIQpFBc

Now you've watched it, pro-tip: Don't watch it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Sure, why not, it all makes sense: it was probably the Rani who produced the quick-growing trees with some leftover tree-land-mines, and that's why you didn't see anyone else in London. :tinfoil:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
If she's not the Rani then casting a woman so strikingly similar to Kate O'Mara less than a year after her death is loving stupid. They have identical eyes, cheek bones and everything, you actually have to actively HUNT for an actress with those features.
She's the Rani. Moffatt has been doing a lot of old Who nods all season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope it's not the Rani for one reason.

She has, in her VERY FEW appearances, never expressed any interest in the Doctor beyond as an inferior and an experiment. So having her proclaim him her boyfriend would be REALLY dumb and out of goddamn nowhere.

It'd be just about the worst way to bring her back and really awful for her character as a lady villain and poo poo this is exactly what Moffat might do.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I assume the 'insensitive to those who have suffered a loss' thing is to do with the heaven stuff, rather than bringing back a character whose actress died.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She appeared in three things.

The first: Mark of the Rani (Colin Baker), a bit of badly thought through camp by Pip and Jane Baker which established the character of The Rani as an amoral genius by doing a search and replace on the Doctor's lines so "The Rani" is replaced by "The Rani, the diabolical amoral genius". Tell don't show at its finest.

This isn't entirely fair. She's kidnapping people who just want a bath after a long day toiling in the mines, draining the brain fluid that allows them to sleep -- which turns them into raging homicidal maniacs --, so she can use these chemicals on the miners on the planet she rules, where her experiments have left those inhabitants unable to rest, so she can keep them enslaved. She easily captures the Doctor, straps him to a mine cart, and sends him sailing to his death after taunting him for a while. Also she turns a guy into a tree with a land mine.

I know, I know, that makes the adventure sound a lot more interesting than it actually is. But establishing the Rani as a hosed up science person with no morals whatsoever isn't really the problem with it.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

marktheando posted:

I assume the 'insensitive to those who have suffered a loss' thing is to do with the heaven stuff, rather than bringing back a character whose actress died.

Clara's Gran is in the castlist. With the comments about it being insensitive I'm guessing they kill her off in the first 5 mins and make a mess of it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Burkion posted:

I really hope it's not the Rani for one reason.

She has, in her VERY FEW appearances, never expressed any interest in the Doctor beyond as an inferior and an experiment. So having her proclaim him her boyfriend would be REALLY dumb and out of goddamn nowhere.

It'd be just about the worst way to bring her back and really awful for her character as a lady villain and poo poo this is exactly what Moffat might do.

Would it be worse than bringing the master back and saying "he's just mad that he has the doctor who theme stuck in his head forever"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twoot posted:

Clara's Gran is in the castlist. With the comments about it being insensitive I'm guessing they kill her off in the first 5 mins and make a mess of it.

Yeah, but remember: Doctor Who fans are hypersensitive babies. "Being insensitive to people who've lost someone" could mean anything, really. Also, "people who've lost someone" is literally everyone who has ever lived, so..

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but remember: Doctor Who fans are hypersensitive babies. "Being insensitive to people who've lost someone" could mean anything, really. Also, "people who've lost someone" is literally everyone who has ever lived, so..

It's political correctness gone mad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wouldn't go that far, but its definitely a case of people who've so immersed themselves in tumblrisms that they lost the ability to process what they watch like normal human beings.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eeeh, this season has managed to make my non-Tumblr friends pretty mad with its awkward social fumbling, and the Who fans have generally been quick to hand-wave away some odious pool-turds. (See: goon defending the magical miracle of childhood mental illness.)

So if something is reading as insensitive even to the early-access True Believers? This should be fantastic.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

At this point my best hope for the Missy reveal is that it's deliberately anticlimactic, which is a pretty forlorn best hope to have. I'd find having the Doctor being actively disappointed at her identity being rubbish be funny, at least.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Would it be worse than bringing the master back and saying "he's just mad that he has the doctor who theme stuck in his head forever"

Hello, how are you, here are some things I've bitched about in the past

Exactly That

(Seriously gently caress what they did to the Master)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

Hello, how are you, here are some things I've bitched about in the past

Exactly That

(Seriously gently caress what they did to the Master)

It's the closest thing to a cogent motivator the Master's ever had. The Master's character arc, especially the transition from Crispy to Ainley, is a total mess that doesn't describe any kind of linear character development.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Master is a dick and he likes to gently caress with The Doctor. That's plenty of motivation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Master is a dick and he likes to gently caress with The Doctor. That's plenty of motivation.

Apart from his entire stint as a corpse, in which he was hateful and (even more) murderous in a way he'd never been before and which, in the classic series, he immidiately stopped being once he became Ainley.

And when he WAS Ainley, he hung out alone, in a cave, maintaining a racist disguise complete with talking-to-himself, for no goddamn reason.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

It's the closest thing to a cogent motivator the Master's ever had. The Master's character arc, especially the transition from Crispy to Ainley, is a total mess that doesn't describe any kind of linear character development.

It was never supposed to, though; it wasn't really that kind of show, and he wasn't really that kind of villain.

To me, the best motivator for the Master would just be that he's evil in the same way that the Doctor is good: I think the way in which it doesn't make sense to destroy two thirds of the universe one moment and plot to prevent the Magna Carta from existing the next is quite funny if you pretend it's a satire of the way the hero alternates between saving worlds and hunting a man dressed up as a clown.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

And when he WAS Ainley, he hung out alone, in a cave, maintaining a racist disguise complete with talking-to-himself, for no goddamn reason.
Like I said.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The best part about that story is how The Doctor instantly knows it's The Master, but The Master is still committed to the disguise.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like I said.

The Doctor WASN'T EVEN THERE at the time!

Clearly the drums were just really really loud that day.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the Master doesn't need a character arc. I much preferred when he was just a dick, rather than a victim of Rassilon's scheming.

Irish Joe posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but its definitely a case of people who've so immersed themselves in tumblrisms that they lost the ability to process what they watch like normal human beings.

"tumblrisms"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Apart from his entire stint as a corpse, in which he was hateful and (even more) murderous in a way he'd never been before and which, in the classic series, he immidiately stopped being once he became Ainley.

How do you MISS this?

I mean I know you don't give two shits about good writing if you enjoy the episode regardless, but I mean, Jesus it's REALLY simple.

Delgado Master is charismatic and characterful, but beneath that is a boiling anger and ugliness he hides away.

Then all of the sublty is stripped away, his appearance is as ugly as he truly is, and he is at his most desperate.

So of course when he gets his disguise back, his safteynet of a body, he starts acting like he used to in a fashion.

Also he really likes to gently caress with the Doctor.

That's all the motivation that he needs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, "I'm a huge rear end in a top hat who likes to push the Doctor's buttons" is oddly a little more refreshing motivation than trying to angst up his past and make him all weepy and broken.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, "I'm a huge rear end in a top hat who likes to push the Doctor's buttons" is oddly a little more refreshing motivation than trying to angst up his past and make him all weepy and broken.

The inanity of "I hear drums in my head" is what gets me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I actually didn't mind the first two Master episodes RTD did (I mean this was a beautiful way to sum up the Simms' Master) outside of JesusDoctor.

But once he started having a backstory it did all fall apart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Master having drums in his head didn't bother me too much; I don't tend to worry too much over retroactive continuity in Doctor Who (most of the time, at least).

I thought Rassilon putting them there as part of his evil master plan was pushing it a little bit. Can't really explain why, though; I think it came off as a way of saying, "See? The Master's not evil! It's not his fault! The Doctor can fix him and they can elope!" I'm not sure if that's a fair critique of the idea or not.

I guess it's sort of like the Big Finish story "Master", which should require no introduction if you're familiar with it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Why couldn't the Master of just been always been insane and the drums are only just a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughesmar
Dec 22, 2004
I like cheese. Cheese is good. I eat cheese like a good boy should.
I can't be the only dumbass that thinks Missy is short for Mistress, which is the feminine form of Master, right? Right.

• Locked thread