Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Who the hell is Krona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Say Nothing posted:

I was surprised by Not-Dr Fate's alter-ego apparently being Harry Potter, though.

Reminds me of Tim from Books of Magic, too - though I think the broken glasses makes it a clear Potter nod.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

DC character chump the gently caress out of Marvel, though.

The JL alone has GoesFastMan, SuperGoku, PlansForEverythingMan, and Goku-but-telepathic-and-also-a-shapeshifter.

The only thing close that Marvel has on its day-to-day would be Sentry?

Sentry, Hyperion, Thor, and Doom because magic is a counter to Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, The Avengers were pretty much chumped out quite recently to Not-The Justice League in New Avengers Vol 3 #20, that is until Strange went all Lovecraft and had Cthulhu eat them.

I was surprised by Not-Dr Fate's alter-ego apparently being Harry Potter, though.

I thought it was Tim what's his face from books of magic, but since there's been law suits over the difference it's academic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ares, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch. That's just Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Ares, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch. That's just Avengers.

Superman would chump the gently caress out of Ares. Superman is vulnerable to magic in the sense that a spell that turns a human into a pig would likely turn Superman into a pig. Someone who's magically strong isn't necessarily stronger than Superman.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

so what you are saying is superman superman thor doom.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Who the hell is Krona?

renegade Oan whose research into looking at the Big Bang with his retro-time-viewer created the multiverse and leaked evil and/or entropy all over existence.

why do I know this....

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

so what you are saying is superman superman thor doom.

Well he's not wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

renegade Oan whose research into looking at the Big Bang with his retro-time-viewer created the multiverse and leaked evil and/or entropy all over existence.

why do I know this....

It's ok no one here will judge you. In fact many of them probably know a lot more.

Krona's power levels have always been ill-defined but it's generally accepted that since he hosed with the Big Bang he's powerful as poo poo. He's the one who instigates the entire JLA/Avengers crossover by travelling to the Marvel Universe and striking up a deal with the Gamemaster to get knowledge of the Big Bang if the Avengers defeat the JLA in a race to collect the most magical macguffins from each universe like the Infinity Stones, Kyle Rayner's Power Battery, and so on (Gamemaster sets the rules, and decides they swap "champions" from each other's universes to ensure they don't try and play favorites or use their knowledge of the home team to cheat).

Batman and Captain America (with help from the Atom and the Thing) figure out the game and ensure the JLA win at the last second, but Krona basically mind-rapes the Gamemaster and learns that Galactus is the one in the Marvel U who knows about the Big Bang, then basically chumps Galactus using completely undefined powers when Galactus refuses to give up the goods. He then makes a giant floating fortress outside of Galactus' corpse and tries to force DC and Marvel Earths together, causing the universe to try and kill itself but also creating a timeline where the JLA and Avengers existed side by side and do fun poo poo like hold yearly BBQs and ensure we get a very "classic" lineup of both teams with characters like Hal Jordan for the finale. The JLA/Avengers figure out that they're meant to be two universes, team up, and storm the Galactus corpse wherein Krona basically mind-conscripts every foe both teams have ever had starting with disposable henchmen like the Moloids and Kobra and working up to AMAZO and Sutur and poo poo. Due to fluctuations from Krona loving with the fabric of the universe the lineup of the JLA/Avengers and villains literally changes from panel-to-panel and we get just about everyone who has ever been on or fought against both teams, including retro-versions of the characters like Mullet Superman. The day gets saved, the two universes split, and it remains 100% canon baby.

Seriously people who smack-talk JLA/Avengers really don't know how good they have it. :c00lbert:

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 28, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

It's ok no one here will judge you. In fact many of them probably know a lot more.

Krona's power levels have always been ill-defined but it's generally accepted that since he hosed with the Big Bang he's powerful as poo poo. He's the one who instigates the entire JLA/Avengers crossover by travelling to the Marvel Universe and striking up a deal with the Gamemaster to get knowledge of the Big Bang if the Avengers defeat the JLA in a race to collect the most magical macguffins from each universe like the Infinity Stones, Kyle Rayner's Power Battery, and so on (Gamemaster sets the rules, and decides they swap "champions" from each other's universes to ensure they don't try and play favorites or use their knowledge of the home team to cheat).

Batman and Captain America (with help from the Atom and the Thing) figure out the game and ensure the JLA win at the last second, but Krona basically mind-rapes the Gamemaster and learns that Galactus is the one in the Marvel U who knows about the Big Bang, then basically chumps Galactus using completely undefined powers when Galactus refuses to give up the goods. He then makes a giant floating fortress outside of Galactus' corpse and tries to force DC and Marvel Earths together, causing the universe to try and kill itself but also creating a timeline where the JLA and Avengers existed side by side and do fun poo poo like hold yearly BBQs and ensure we get a very "classic" lineup of both teams with characters like Hal Jordan for the finale. The JLA/Avengers figure out that they're meant to be two universes, team up, and storm the Galactus corpse wherein Krona basically mind-conscripts every foe both teams have ever had starting with disposable henchmen like the Moloids and Kobra and working up to AMAZO and Sutur and poo poo. The day gets saved, the two universes split, and it remains 100% canon baby.

Seriously people who smack-talk JLA/Avengers really don't know how good they have it. :c00lbert:

I reread Crisis on Infinite earths and he also created the monitor and anti - monitor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I tried to keep away from Crisis on Infinite Earths because my memory of it is shoddy but I really should go and do a reread of that. I've actually got the Absolute Edition and boy is it purdy.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

mind the walrus posted:

Anyone who whines about JLA/Avengers is being a big stupid baby. It was easily the best crossover we're ever going to get between the two companies, and treated both sides very fairly without copping to a lot of bullshit.

Am I the only person who remembers the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover, which was much, much better than it had any right to be? It predated the huge multi-series event structure that everybody does these days so they just focused on that one issue, and it got me as a kid to pick up DC books for the first time.

I don't have it on hand to scan but there's a lot of good pages for this thread, mainly because Walt Simonson was firing on all cylinders.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Dug up a scan so I wouldn't have to find the issue in my longboxes. Seriously, this was one of my favorite comics moments for decades.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Majuju posted:

Reminds me of Tim from Books of Magic, too - though I think the broken glasses makes it a clear Potter nod.

I always thought Tim looks too much like Harry Potter not to be an intentional rip-off anyway what with the pet owl, glasses, same haircut and all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, I mean I love Marvel to death but the JLA are almost entirely in a weight class above the Avengers.

There's even a bit where Aquaman comments to Superman (who, at this point, believes the Avengers don't do enough for their Earth) that the Marvel heroes seem less powerful, and guess they have to fight twice as hard as the JLA just to keep things on an even keel.

Heresiarch posted:

Am I the only person who remembers the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover, which was much, much better than it had any right to be? It predated the huge multi-series event structure that everybody does these days so they just focused on that one issue, and it got me as a kid to pick up DC books for the first time.

Rumour has it that Jim Shooter was really quite upset that they ended up crossing over with the Titans; he'd wanted the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Puntification posted:

I always thought Tim looks too much like Harry Potter not to be an intentional rip-off anyway what with the pet owl, glasses, same haircut and all.

He first appeared in 1990. The first Harry Potter book came out in 1997.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Superman would chump the gently caress out of Ares. Superman is vulnerable to magic in the sense that a spell that turns a human into a pig would likely turn Superman into a pig. Someone who's magically strong isn't necessarily stronger than Superman.

Squirrel Girl.
:colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

Time travel?! :aaaaa:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Puntification posted:

Ponder Stibbons from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is also another obvious Harry Potter rip off:

... whose first appearance was also in 1990. Terry Pratchett has gone on record to admit using time travel to steal JK Rowling's ideas. :v:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Uthor posted:

Squirrel Girl.
:colbert:

..If there's ever anything Marvel vs. DC again. I want want to hear the rage for when Doreen beats The One True Batman. One punch.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Fine prove me wrong using facts why don't you?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

prefect posted:

Time travel?! :aaaaa:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ponder Stibbons from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is also another obvious Harry Potter rip off:

... whose first appearance was also in 1990. Terry Pratchett has gone on record to admit using time travel to steal JK Rowling's ideas. :v:

And Neil Gaiman and Terry Pritchett released Good Omens in 1990!

And T2 was being filmed in 1990. It all makes sense, now!

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

PicklePants posted:

..If there's ever anything Marvel vs. DC again. I want want to hear the rage for when Doreen beats The One True Batman. One punch.

That one would actually make sense. She's stronger, faster, even Batman wouldn't expect to be swarmed by squirrels, and there's no way in hell he wouldn't massively underestimate her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PicklePants posted:

One Pinch (of his cheeks)!

Metal Loaf posted:

There's even a bit where Aquaman comments to Superman (who, at this point, believes the Avengers don't do enough for their Earth) that the Marvel heroes seem less powerful, and guess they have to fight twice as hard as the JLA just to keep things on an even keel.
I get the two crossovers mixed up, but there's a great scene where Flash outruns Pietro by a ridiculous amount (.4c to like the Sound barrier ridic), but then the speed force doesn't run through the Marvel U so he runs out of gas.

There's also a scene in one of them where the Marvel characters travel to the DCU and are surprised that Flash has a museum, there are no anti-metahuman hate groups, and everyone just loooooooves the JLA.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You are thinking of Avengers/JLA, because shortly after he runs out of speed, he runs into a lynch mob who tries try kill some mutant child. And for the different attitudes of the Marvel and DC denizens, there is also the reaction of the crowed shortly after the Avengers arrive in the DCU, dispatch a couple of minor villains and are then greeted with admiration and requests for autographs. It's a little exaggerated, but still a great scene.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

There's also a scene in one of them where the Marvel characters travel to the DCU and are surprised that Flash has a museum, there are no anti-metahuman hate groups, and everyone just loooooooves the JLA.

It's a pretty interesting contrast, because just as the JLA think the Avengers don't do enough, the Avengers think, based off of the above facts, the JLA must clearly be tyrants.

Also, Hawkeye calls them Squadron Supreme knockoffs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Also, Hawkeye calls them Squadron Supreme knockoffs.

There's a panel I like where Hawkeye shoots a boomerang arrow at the Flash, who catches it and says, "Sorry, but I've got a bit of experience with boomerangs," and Hawkeye's all like, "It would've worked on the Whizzer!"

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

e X posted:

You are thinking of Avengers/JLA, because shortly after he runs out of speed, he runs into a lynch mob who tries try kill some mutant child. And for the different attitudes of the Marvel and DC denizens, there is also the reaction of the crowed shortly after the Avengers arrive in the DCU, dispatch a couple of minor villains and are then greeted with admiration and requests for autographs. It's a little exaggerated, but still a great scene.

That was fun, though my favorite bit was having a shocked Quicksilver run up to the rest of the Avengers shouting "Guys! They have a museum here! In a place called Central City, they have a MUSEUM dedicated to PEOPLE who RUN FAST."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There was this scene where Flash crosses over from the Central City in the DC Universe (which is a massive city) into the Marvel Central City (which is like a sleepy town with a hundred or so people.)

This was a cool thing as it features something I always wondered/ liked. That different universes had to feature different versions of similar characters. Like almost every universe in Marvel's Multiverse has a Tony Stark or Steve Rogers as important guys. Logically there should be a Lex Luthor in the Marvel Universe, even if he was just a failed shoe salesman.
That's why I subscribed to the idea during Thors: Godbomb arc that the villain, Gorr was the Marvel Universe version of DC's Blue Lantern, St. Walker.

The only downside was when people (again during the crazy Battleboard period of my life) tried to spin this as the DC Earth was bigger than the Marvel Earth. The argument was the DC Earth had cities that Marvel didn't, so it's America was clearly bigger. Meanwhile Marvel had countries that DC didn't have (Latveria, Wakanda, Genoshia, Symerika), but they don't count because countries aren't as big as American cities. Or something.

In short, fans are dumb and ruin everything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, didn't Busiek explicitly say that DC Earth is bigger in Avengers/JLA? And the DCU has it's own fair share of fake countries. Corto Maltese and Khandaq, anyone?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I tried looking up SYMERIKA cause it sounds awesome and found nothing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, didn't Busiek explicitly say that DC Earth is bigger in Avengers/JLA? And the DCU has it's own fair share of fake countries. Corto Maltese and Khandaq, anyone?

The exact line in the book is that they are "different sizes" (I think. It's been a while since I've read the story.)

Technically that's not the same as saying that one is bigger than another.
You could interpret that as "DC Earth must be bigger. It has more fake US Cities and thus a bigger America. :patriot: "
Another way of looking at it (and this would be my preferred method) is "DC has a bigger America. But Marvel has a bigger Europe/ Africa. So things don't exactly match up and you can't just transplant everything on top of each other."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, when the JLA shift over to Marvel Earth, they land in what would be downtown Metropolis on their Earth, and it's an empty field. Superman (or the Flash; one or the other, or maybe both) looks about and says this Earth doesn't have some of their cities, but it does have some that they don't have.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

I tried looking up SYMERIKA cause it sounds awesome and found nothing.

It sounds like a cool metal band, or a country in a bad Dystopian Sci-Fi novel.

" After the Sym-droids took over power, they enslaved all humans and made them wear Obey-collars! They now have renamed the country, SYM-ERIKA! Our only chance to survive is to put on sexy clothing and live with the resistance."

But really it's just me mispelling this place's name.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Symkaria

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heresiarch posted:

Dug up a scan so I wouldn't have to find the issue in my longboxes. Seriously, this was one of my favorite comics moments for decades.

Dark Phoenix: HOW DARE YO.... wow, that looks like a REALLY comfortable couch!
Darkseid: I know, right! :neckbeard:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

It bothers me more than it should, but "I... Darkseid!" makes Darkseid sound like a verb missing an object. You darkseid what, huh?

Also, he should have said "It is I... Darkseid!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grendels Dad posted:

It bothers me more than it should, but "I... Darkseid!" makes Darkseid sound like a verb missing an object. You darkseid what, huh?

Darkseid IS. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grendels Dad posted:

"Who summons?"
"I [summon]."

I think it's actually proper grammar. "Me" would be incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Uthor posted:

And Neil Gaiman and Terry Pritchett released Good Omens in 1990!

And T2 was being filmed in 1990. It all makes sense, now!

Gaiman was once asked about and he kind of shrugged and said if you go into a mall in London on a Saturday you'll see about a dozen boys that look exactly like Tim/Harry.