Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Have we covered the EU's equivalent of Australia's stop the boats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

biglads posted:

I think the idea of reducing the speed limit would be part of a long term attempt to change the kind of cars we drive. If you can't do more than 55/60 then the idea is over time there'd be less BMW 5-series/Audi A6s and equivalents and more 'City' cars. Not only are they more fuel efficient but also less damaging to build.

Not sure whether that would work quickly enough to have any effect though.

Everyone else has pretty much said what I wanted to say quite nicely regarding the speed limits, and less enforcement on motorways and more in residential areas (why do I never see speed cameras around school zones?), but I just wanted to raise a couple of points about your post.

Firstly, by city cars are you referring to small hatchbacks in general, or actual proper urban subcompact cars like the Smart Fourtwo? While these subcompacts make sense in the city, they're pretty crappy for everywhere else especially if you go on long journeys, or indeed have a couple of kids to take along with you. If you had to drive from Grimsby to Southampton on a regular basis like that other goon you'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable and happier in something like a BMW saloon than a dinky little city car. In addition when travelling at high speeds, a city car is considerably less safe than a larger car that is built to handle those speeds. Heck a few months back I remember some old lady in a Renault Kangoo rocketing past me at about 90mph, damned thing was wobbling and leaning all over the place.

Lastly just because because a car is smaller and less powerful does not always mean it is significantly more efficient or environmentally friendly, if at all. To give you an example, a 1.3l Ford Ka gets a combined mpg of 58 with emissions of 115g/km, and a 2.0l BMW 3 series saloon gets a combined mpg of 69 with emissions of 109g/km. Basically its not just a case of the size and power of the car, its how efficient the engine is.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zero Gravitas posted:

Have we covered the EU's equivalent of Australia's stop the boats?

I really hope this satisfies kippers because if it doesn't Cameron will have to resort to killing asylum seekers at press conferences just to show he is doing something about immigration.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ld-support.html

quote:

David Cameron's bid to enshrine an EU referendum in law has been dramatically blocked by Nick Clegg in a major blow to his efforts to renegotiate Britain's terms of membership.
The Prime Minister was forced to drop legislation tying the next government to holding an in-out EU vote after Mr Clegg demanded reform of the so-called Bedroom Tax as his price for support.
The collapse of the Tory backbench legislation threatens to weaken Mr Cameron's hand as he attempts to convince European bureaucrats only serious reform can keep Britain from voting to leave the EU.
It also triggered a dramatic disintegration of Coalition relations as the two parties briefed against each other over who was to blame for the decision not to pursue legislation on a 2017 referendum.

Cleggy finds a spine and tries it on to see if it fits!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

kind of pathetic how late in the game this dickhead has figured out that he did actually have enough power to at least try and change things for the better in the last few years.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oberleutnant posted:

kind of pathetic how late in the game this dickhead has figured out that he did actually have enough power to at least try and change things for the better in the last few years.

Alternatively he and the upper ranking Lib Dems have been fine with most of what has been done and just needed to act like they were a restraint on those nasty nasty Tories to try and maintain their support base.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

He's got my vote

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

namesake posted:

Alternatively he and the upper ranking Lib Dems have been fine with most of what has been done and just needed to act like they were a restraint on those nasty nasty Tories to try and maintain their support base.

Or that he'd have nowhere left to go after he's thrown out of British politics if there was a vote to exit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LemonDrizzle posted:

I was under the impression that the bedroom tax had been largely defanged in any case?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Also Cameron doesn't actually want an EU referendum

Aw shucks!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Ludicro posted:

why do I never see speed cameras around school zones?

Because I don't think speed is largely the problem around schools, rare is the school around me where you could get any kind of decent speed up out front when the kids are around. It's the bad and selfish driving of people dropping their children off who are doing stupid and dangerous poo poo like double parking, parking on zig-zags, stopping in the middle of the road to let the children out, taking children out of the car into the road instead of onto the pavement and pulling out of spaces without looking. All increase the level of danger for other road users, but none of them would be solved by plonking a Gatso outside the school. It would be solved if they could deploy a couple of traffic wardens to enforce the rules and ticket offenders and that probably would have been done in the days of the yellow striped, public sector, beady eyes, but I suspect the modern privatised, blue capped, parking bastard is less interested in safety and more about revenue.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Nick Clegg has a backbone and makes Tough Choices as defined by Serious People. Many of the policies he backed, most notably increasing tuition fees, were deeply unpopular. He wasn't cowardly in many of actions during the coalition he was instead being deeply calculating in serving the interests of a tiny minority of people who could benefit him in kind.

Cameron on the other hand is being extremely cowardly in his approach to immigration putting out ginned up populist policies and statements that don't benefit anyone but do get positive headlines.

That isn't to say Clegg isn't a poo poo but it is Cameron rather than him who totally lacks a backbone.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

baka kaba posted:

Also Cameron doesn't actually want an EU referendum

Aw shucks!

Something tells me Cameron and all of the other so-called liberal 'progressive' Conservatives would be better off as Lib Dems anyway.

The bulk of the Tory Party, i.e the socially conservative wing, is a deep irony in that it wants free trade yet despises globalisation and the EU.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Eric Joyce got arrested again.

Eric Joyce for Scottish Labour leader!

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
It'd probably be good for the EU if they kicked the UK out, instead of putting up with this petulant nonsense.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Turns out loving over poor students is a UK wide activity:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/28/scottish-student-borrowing-soars-record-levels

quote:

Scottish students are being forced to take out record levels of debt after the Scottish government cut the grants they could claim by 40%.

Official figures show total student borrowing jumped by 69% for the last academic year up to £430m, the highest level ever, as Scottish ministers championed their policy of providing free university tuition.

The heaviest burden is being carried by the poorest students after ministers cut overall spending on grants for living costs from £53m to £36m last year, and introduced far less generous funding bands which penalised low income applications.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

It'd probably be good for the EU if they kicked the UK out, instead of putting up with this petulant nonsense.

I'm not sure the EU would want to lose one of the largest contributors to its budget.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

twoot posted:

Eric Joyce got arrested again.

Eric Joyce for Scottish Labour leader!

They are so lucky he isn't a member any more. He really is quite a phenomenal eejit.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spooky Hyena posted:

I don't think it would be good for the EU to lose its third largest economy and free access to a major market for internal trade.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is anyone going to this?

HortonNash posted:

I don't think it would be good for the EU to lose its third largest economy and free access to a major market for internal trade.

Bu but the UK is some uniquely annoying 'petulant child' that puts a downer on all those selfless chill EU states who are above petty national self interest.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
No, so what's your point? And I think losing part of the budget (it's not even in the top 5, per capita) is worth cutting loose the UK with all the bollocks Westminster is pulling right now. At least, as an ultimatum.

Spooky Hyena fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 28, 2014

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Northern Ireland Executive has till the end of the week to agree on a draft budget for 2015/16, if they fail to reach an agreement they lose access to an emergency loan of £100m from the Treasury needed to plug a shortfall that's current squeezing the Executive's finances. With the outstanding fines from the Treasury for failing to implement welfare reform it's not looking pretty, worryingly the Northern Ireland Office has made it clear that if an agreement can not be reached by April they will set the Budget for the Executive - a threat that might raise a few eyebrows what with the current talk of further devolution in the UK.

The Finance minister has floated a draft budget with cuts of over £800m (about 8% give or take) that's currently doing the rounds. As expected Education is facing cuts (something that SF have long fought tooth and nail to oppose). Health is getting a modest bump but so, controversially, is the Department of Enterprise.

Guess which party has Health, Enterprise and the Finance It's the DUP dummy

Now guess which ones has Education...

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 28, 2014

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for Scottish students.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Ha, I almost missed that story. The figures are still well below the UK average, so parading it as a failure of free tuition is bollocks to start with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Still B.A.E posted:

Forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for Scottish students.

Yeah! Don't got mine, so gently caress them too!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

No, so what's your point? And I think losing part of the budget (it's not even in the top 5, per capita) is worth cutting loose the UK with all the bollocks Westminster is pulling right now. At least, as an ultimatum.

Hint: the 'bollocks' is purely for UK consumption.

Hint 2: the amount of people living in the UK doesn't make the money the UK pays into the EU worth proportionally less.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure the EU would want to lose one of the largest contributors to its budget.

Not to mention the second- or third-largest export market for almost all of the EU member states.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not to mention the second- or third-largest export market for almost all of the EU member states.

Yeah but, per capita, the market isn't worth that much?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

Hint: the 'bollocks' is purely for UK consumption.

Hint 2: the amount of people living in the UK doesn't make the money the UK pays into the EU worth proportionally less.

It does make it worth proportionately less. The higher the amount of people, the higher the benefit the country takes from the EU, so the less each Euro is worth coming from a country as defined by a geographical area. It's one of the biggest reasons why the budget changes as the population does, despite the landmass and number of countries in the EU staying almost constant.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Idiots have excellent timing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Mg7qL09DY

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Spooky Hyena posted:

Ha, I almost missed that story. The figures are still well below the UK average, so parading it as a failure of free tuition is bollocks to start with.

Is anyone doing that?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

It does make it worth proportionately less. The higher the amount of people, the higher the benefit the country takes from the EU, so the less each Euro is worth coming from a country as defined by a geographical area. It's one of the biggest reasons why the budget changes as the population does, despite the landmass and number of countries in the EU staying almost constant.

The size of the contribution is based on the size of the economy. Hence why the UK has just been landed with a £1.7 billion bill.

Each EU citizen doesn't receive some sort of Euro stipend. The number of citizens and countries in the EU has been growing for years. Your argument is, to use your own phrase, bollocks.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Is anyone doing that?

I skimmed it, the Labour statement at the bottom did and I saw more mentions of it throughout the article. Might be giving it more notice than fair.

Pissflaps posted:

The size of the contribution is based on the size of the economy. Hence why the UK has just been landed with a £1.7 billion bill.

Each EU citizen doesn't receive some sort of Euro stipend. The number of citizens and countries in the EU has been growing for years. Your argument is, to use your own phrase, bollocks.

You don't need to get a cash sum to benefit from an institution, just look at everything taxes pay for. Actually, what's your point here? Are you saying that Westminster's response to the EU is justified and there's no reason for the EU to be apprehensive about the UK's place because of it? Or did you just get lost when hyperbole got used?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not making a point, just brainstorming around your amazing idea that the EU should 'kick out" the UK.

Also still waiting for you to link to that post, liar.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Can't be bothered wading through that thread just because you command it. Look it up yourself if you want it faster.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

Can't be bothered wading through that thread just because you command it. Look it up yourself if you want it faster.

No because it didn't actually happen and you don't have it in you to apologise or retract. Shameful stuff.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
That's a strawman. I don't retract poo poo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

That's a strawman. I don't retract poo poo.

No you just make stuff up about people, liar.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

lol, nice meltdown
Prove you're not a racist, then. I'd settle for not harassing me every time I post, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spooky Hyena posted:

Prove you're not a racist, then. I'd settle for not harassing me every time I post, instead.

I'll settle for you not making up bizarre accusations and lies from any of your multiple accounts.

"Muslim Neo Nazis" indeed. Jesus Christ.

• Locked thread