Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Velka Crow or Avion from Shadow of the Colossus, probably. Species: definitely Chocobos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Captain Invictus posted:

What about Kazooie

Lazy but smart bird. Had his stupid bear friend carry him around on his back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SoulChicken posted:

Lazy but smart bird. Had his stupid bear friend carry him around on his back.

Kazooie is a girl, thank you.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

As a subspecies, the cuccos from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Throwing a chicken at a dude and then having them swarm everyone is awesome.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The romance-able crow (as in a literal crow) in Winter Voices will always hold a place in my heart.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If we're going into romanceable birds, this rabbit hole goes much deeper.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Do Cliffracers count as a bird?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I didn't think birds could be cool until Storm Eagle.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

We've been spamming it at the end of our eps and on our social media outlets, but might as well post here as well. If you enjoy Check it Out, Comrade! and haven't left us an iTunes review (not just a rating) yet, do so in the next day or two to be entered into a raffle for BoI: Rebirth.

We'll announce the winner this weekend on FB and twitter probably, because Gary hasn't beaten WL2 yet so we're going to delay the next episode, but we want you to have your copy before the game comes out next Tuesday.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Best bird http://i.imgur.com/V54IoKR.gif

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Hmm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Seagullstealingdoritos.gif

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Like Twin Peaks, the Rewatch has really hit his stride with episode three with regards to really making sure they hit every scene but still going in depth and into tangents.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Al! posted:

Like Twin Peaks, the Rewatch has really hit his stride with episode three with regards to really making sure they hit every scene but still going in depth and into tangents.

But but the Twin Peaks pilot is like the best TV pilot ever.

Edit: Ehr, I guess "The Target" episode of The Wire exists. It had that terrible flashback though.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

moller posted:

But but the Twin Peaks pilot is like the best TV pilot ever.

Edit: Ehr, I guess "The Target" episode of The Wire exists. It had that terrible flashback though.

I've always considered the pilot of The Wire to be one of the worst episodes in the series. It's not bad but I feel I always have to tell people that it gets much better.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yeah, Kolibri is a pretty cool game.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tirranek posted:

I've always considered the pilot of The Wire to be one of the worst episodes in the series. It's not bad but I feel I always have to tell people that it gets much better.

The trick to getting people into the Wire, in my experience, is explaining that it's not about cops or drugs, then insisting that it's not after people watch the first few episodes.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Woffle posted:

The trick to getting people into the Wire, in my experience, is explaining that it's not about cops or drugs, then insisting that it's not after people watch the first few episodes.

I always tell people that since it's called The Wire they should stick with it until the cops actually get the wire tap running and then they won't want to stop watching ever. That has usually worked.

The pilot is one of those things where if you rewatch it j owing the characters and story it's pretty great, but as an intro from nothing, holy crap it's tough.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Oddly enough, when people talk about getting into The Wire I always tell them to at least watch up to and including the episode called "The Wire". Typically that's where things start to fall into place for the show and the people watching it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah count me as someone who was completely lost during my first watch of the wire's pilot but then totally loving it on my second watch. The wire loving owns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I had to convince someone to watch The Wire I said it was a cop show where you also see the perspective of the criminal element, and that neither side is glorified. I had seen the first season myself, but I didn't really fall in love with it until the second viewing.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Getting someone into The Wire is a weird parallel to getting someone into an obtuse/offputting but rewarding game.

"Don't worry, it gets good but it takes a while" is a really hard sell, even if the time investment is worthwhile in the end.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm listening to WOFF backlog and in the Planescape extrasode Gary called the cartoon drawing of Ollie's a "gentle pedophile" and I nearly drove my car off the road from laughter. There's no way Kole can accurately describe this store, this dude's face is plastered everywhere and in different costumes like a tank commander (where he wages war on high prices) or a scuzzy looking card dealer. You will never get tired of a MAD magazine reject more than Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

Between the extrasodes and Abject Suffering is the gooniest rear end conversations blaring on my stereo.

Now talking pilots, I wish I saw the original series Star Trek pilot as a kid. That was some Twilight Zone mind fuckery happening and Star Trek to me is always at its best when it's the crew versus some weird alien race. It taps into my love of the unconventional.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I completely forgot that we ever talked about Ollie's. That website is 100% pro-click.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
After hearing yesterday's Thumbs I was eyeballing Payday 2 on the steam store and :aaaaa: Giancarlo Esposito (played Gustavo Fring in Breaking Bad) in the live-action teaser! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rOKmclX0zw

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

al-azad posted:

Now talking pilots, I wish I saw the original series Star Trek pilot as a kid. That was some Twilight Zone mind fuckery happening and Star Trek to me is always at its best when it's the crew versus some weird alien race. It taps into my love of the unconventional.

Seeing The Cage on its own isn't all that necessary, because it's contained (inside a framing story) in the two-parter The Menagerie. It's very cool, though; I do like the cage.

But the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before) is better because it ends with a fistfight.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

Getting someone into The Wire is a weird parallel to getting someone into an obtuse/offputting but rewarding game.

"Don't worry, it gets good but it takes a while" is a really hard sell, even if the time investment is worthwhile in the end.

So what you're saying is "the Binding of Isaac is the Wire of Video Games" - Cole Ross, Duckfeed.tv

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Al! posted:

So what you're saying is "the Binding of Isaac is the Wire of Video Games" - Cole Ross, Duckfeed.tv

You saw my blurb on the Rebirth box?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait is Sean actually leaving Idle Thumbs or is that just hilarity in the description of the latest episode? After Alexis leaving GB I'm not sure what's real or not anymore when people say that :(

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait is Sean actually leaving Idle Thumbs or is that just hilarity in the description of the latest episode? After Alexis leaving GB I'm not sure what's real or not anymore when people say that :(

It's just bullshit. He played a lot of Payday 2 this week.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Is the upcoming 'sempai' teeshirt for WOFF going to feature an anime Gary Butterfield in the centre? Because that would be an instant buy for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ja2ke posted:

It's just bullshit. He played a lot of Payday 2 this week.

Great, I can't listen to it until I head to work so I wasn't able to check. :)

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Great, I can't listen to it until I head to work so I wasn't able to check. :)

anyway RIP sean vanaman 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Is the upcoming 'sempai' teeshirt for WOFF going to feature an anime Gary Butterfield in the centre? Because that would be an instant buy for me.

No, but my understanding is that it does have the japanese word for pee.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I will never get tired of the wind up to a Nick story. I was dying listening to Sean judging the poo poo out of Nick's mannerisms.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I can confirm that there's no anime Gary, and that the Japanese character for "urine" features prominently. I can also confirm that it's absurd, and I can't imagine anyone wearing it.

I'm not intentionally being coy about the image/shirt design... I want to keep it under wraps until the Patreon backer who won it receives it. It's better if it's a nifty exclusive surprise when they open it in the mail. I'm working on finding a way to make shirts available for folks to buy, but that's a complicated and harrowing ordeal if you want to get something at a good quality without losing your own shirt in the process.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kerbalcast episode 24 is up! http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com/

It's been awhile since I updated here or on the KSP thread. I had a stint of a godawful work schedule so I got too fried to remember to post. We were still making episodes through most of it and we changed our format some. The segment that isn't about kerbal is now after the credits if it is in at all so our Kerbal-only crowd said they didn't want to hear us talk about movies and stuff.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Does anyone know what episode of VGHD Twinbeard (aka the Frog Fractions guy) apeared on? Google isn't helping and none of the episode descriptions have it either.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ja2ke posted:

anyway RIP sean vanaman 2014

fuCongrats Sean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted: