Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

That's one way to think about it. On the other hand, you could argue that having all these ridiculously specialized creatures is very fluffy because it's all ultimately just biomass to be pumped out in the most efficient form for the job to be done and then recycled when that job is over.

Or better yet, split the difference between both views and just make everything good for once because the Hive Mind is constantly improving all of its specialized organisms. :)
That would be cool. Changing Synapse back, at least in part, to the older version would help. "Tyranids in Synapse are immune to ID caused by doubling out" would make several units way more survivable, and lets things with actual ID still be relevant. Do that, Raveners, Warriors, and (lol) Pyrovores are all improved. Then you make sure certain units have the ability to do their drat job in the first place, so give Raveners and other units a Frag Grenade deal by default or for a pittance, give Pyrovores mobility so they can at least pretend to be useful (perhaps by making them Beasts,) etc. Warriors as Wolf Guard or Commissars (buy X, kit them however, split them across units) would be sick as well.

The Tyranid book has several cool options for armies, and some good themes going for it. The problem is that, unless your theme is "All FMCs, all the time" or "Brain Leech Worms for all!" that you are stuck with a lot of sub-par units that just wilt the moment a Battlecannon looks at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Reading you guys talk about Nids makes me sad :( I get asked by the other guys in my group about these new units and I'm all 'oh yeah it looks cool and rules seem alright' but then everyone says the rules suck...I still want to try the dataslate stuff for them, I don't want my Nids to live in a box like my Dark Eldar have done until very recently.

But I have a question for anyone who's built a Warhound titan, I know there are a couple of folks here - about how long did it take to assemble, and how many spots can you magnetize for transport or movement?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

I don't think the treatment of Tyranids is GW purposely screwing them over. They're trying, they just have no idea how their game actually works.
I don't think GW actually hate Tyranids, but I get a strong feeling they seem them as some evil NPC race for the 'good guys' to overcome and write cool stories about beating. It's understandable when you consider that nids don't really have relateable personalities in the same way as Ork warbosses or Chaos Champions, but it's pretty harsh on the players.
The end result is game mechanics like Instinctive Behaviour, where if you don't keep a bunch of expensive and/or relatively fragile units alive, you lose. Outside of a narrow bunch of list styles it's like playing as an end-level boss in a video game, where you have a single glowing red target for your opponent to shoot at to win.

Von Humboldt posted:

That would be cool. Changing Synapse back, at least in part, to the older version would help. "Tyranids in Synapse are immune to ID caused by doubling out" would make several units way more survivable, and lets things with actual ID still be relevant.

We don't need Eternal Warrior all over the place for Nids to be relevant - in fact I wish they'd make Synapse less relevant. Tone down all the random instinctive crap and make it viable to run an army without any synapse at all. It just should be a nice bonus that helps if you can keep it alive, rather than a self-destruct button for your army.
We can make things more survivable with some more sensible biomorphs and upgrades. Tyranids are supposed be to constantly evolving super-predators - so why are they all using the same boring T6 Sv3+ profile with little variation? Let's bring back Toughened Exoskeletons, Armoured Shells and Null Zones. If GW are going to keep using old material for inspiration they may as well use the good ideas.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

krushgroove posted:

Reading you guys talk about Nids makes me sad :( I get asked by the other guys in my group about these new units and I'm all 'oh yeah it looks cool and rules seem alright' but then everyone says the rules suck...I still want to try the dataslate stuff for them, I don't want my Nids to live in a box like my Dark Eldar have done until very recently.

Hey man, just remember that the very book that got you to pull your DE back out is called mediocre by many. :)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Doesn't matter what you play as long as you like playing them.

back in 3rd Ed I played DE and lost 90% of the time. However I had a poo poo ton of fun especially since most had never gone against them before. Things sometimes went hilariously well, and I learned a lot.

There's so much more to this than the game, bugs look great and are probably the most fun to paint. And when you lay out an 1850 swarm it's good to see your opponent sweat until the game starts.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So yeah, the rules are out now.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

xtothez posted:

I like how the maleceptor has scything talons and no options to swap them for other wargear. They literally do nothing for it.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Mechanicon 2014 Trip Report

Mechanicon is a 40k (and Fantasy) tournament held just North of Philadelphia in Oaks, PA. It was two days, 5 games. In this post, I talk about my overall experience, the individual games, and will post pictures of pretty spacemen.

Overall, I had a great time. The tournament was well-organized, the terrain was beautiful, and there wasn't one Wave Serpent spam list in sight! I'll definitely return for next year. The venue was pleasant, and the tables were fantastic. They were only grouped by twos, so you could easily get around to the other side if you had to. The tournament was at 1850 points, and each list needed to be battle forged. However, there was no limit to how many CADs you could take, so there was still a good amount of exploitation.

So, 5 missions, each with different victory conditions. All of the missions had Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, and First Blood in addition to their primary objectives.
1st mission: 6 objectives, each worth 3, scored at the end of the game. Dawn of War.
2nd mission: 2 objectives in each deployment zone, each worth 4, one objective in the exact center, worth 1. Hammer and Anvil.
3rd mission: Tactical objectives: draw one at 1st turn, draw 1 on any subsequent turns where the player starts without a card; one objective card at a time. Discarding as normal. Dawn of War.
4th mission: Kill Points. Dawn of War.
5th mission: Random objectives: 1 worth 4, 2 worth 3, 2 worth 2, 1 worth 1. Diagonal setup (whatever it's called).

I brought a mechanized AM list that looked a little like this:
CCS, 2 melta, 2 plasma
2 ML2 Psykers
2 Vet squads in Chimeras w/ 2 meltas
2 Vet squads in Chimeras w/ 3 plasmas
3 Armored Sentinels w/ plasma cannons
2 Vendettas
2 Leman Russes
1 Demolisher
You guys have all seen my army, so I won't spam you with pictures of it.

1st mission
My opponent's Army:

1 CAD Space Wolves, 1 CAD Grey Knights, 1 Allies Space Marines, Medium-sized bunker w/ escape hatch.

Totally got hosed in this one. His GK's dropped in and cleansing flamed most of my Chimeras, and his Centurions got out the escape hatch and started taking out my Russes. My inexperience with GKs and escape hatches really showed, here. Dude was nice, though. The army looked great, but I found out later it was not painted by him. Final score: 28-0, him.

2nd Mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD Dark Eldar - the older codex. The new codex didn't make the rules cutoff date.

Lots of raiders, couple of ravagers, a razorwing. He seized the initiative and I thought I was reamed, but he proceeded to not hit or penetrate a single thing with all of his dark lances. My tanks had no problem on my turn, though. Highlights include my demolisher single-handedly destroying 2 ravagers and 2 raiders, and a shaken Chimera destroying the razorwing in one round of shooting, the turn it came in. Result: 21-4, me.

3rd mission
My opponent's army:

2 CADs Tyranids

The four Flyrants were all he needed to totally demolish me. I ended up killing one, but the other three completely wrecked my poo poo. The rest of his army did nothing but contest objectives. Still a fun game, though, dude was super nice. He actually lives near me, so we'll play again in the future. Result: 16-1, him.

4th mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD CSM, 1 CAD Deamons

Belakor. That loving guy. This game was a ton of fun. Inexperience once again raised it's head because I had no idea beasts moved so drat fast. It was kill points so I had a bunch of crap in reserve. Started out bad, but I ended up picking up 7 KPs to his 9 (he got bonus pts for the win), so it turned out to be pretty close. Result 14-7, him.

5th mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD Sapce Marines done up like Storm Troopers from Star Wars with TIE Fighter Stormtalons and a Lambda Shuttle Stormraven.

Best game of the tournament, right here. We were both well out of it, so we were able to focus on pure fun and action. Lots of things died, on both sides. Late game, my Vendettas proved to be awesome (again) and one of my Leman Russes just would quit kicking rear end. He had a Typhoon land speeder that would not stop kicking my rear end, though. Took out 2 chimeras and a squad all on it's own. Great game. Result: 25-3, me.

At the end of it, I actually won something! I was awarded with Best Overall (battle points + painting) for Astra Militarum! Tournament weekends are the best. I can't wait for my next one!

Here's a bunch of pictures of other armies:

This army was loving rad. Buzz Lightyear themed storm troopers!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

You know... Bugs need some sort of special rule were you can take one extra slot of anything else except HQ for every troop choice. And have it count as chosen troop slot. Won't help that much but at least the slots would free up a bit it run a larger variety of things....(the bad poo poo still won't be run).

Y'know you just have to take two HQ and four troops and you can double all other slots by putting them into separate CADs. Having enough free force org slots isn't really an issue nowadays.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

I like how the maleceptor has scything talons and no options to swap them for other wargear. They literally do nothing for it.

Tyranid weapons were PERFECT last edition. I have no idea why they decided to change them.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

LordAba posted:

Tyranid weapons were PERFECT last edition. I have no idea why they decided to change them.

Because clearly hormagaunts and trygons were overpowered.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Mechanicon is a 40k (and Fantasy) tournament held just North of Philadelphia in Oaks, PA. It was two days, 5 games. In this post, I talk about my overall experience, the individual games, and will post pictures of pretty spacemen.

Overall, I had a great time. The tournament was well-organized, the terrain was beautiful, and there wasn't one Wave Serpent spam list in sight! I'll definitely return for next year. The venue was pleasant, and the tables were fantastic. They were only grouped by twos, so you could easily get around to the other side if you had to. The tournament was at 1850 points, and each list needed to be battle forged. However, there was no limit to how many CADs you could take, so there was still a good amount of exploitation.

So, 5 missions, each with different victory conditions. All of the missions had Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, and First Blood in addition to their primary objectives.
1st mission: 6 objectives, each worth 3, scored at the end of the game. Dawn of War.
2nd mission: 2 objectives in each deployment zone, each worth 4, one objective in the exact center, worth 1. Hammer and Anvil.
3rd mission: Tactical objectives: draw one at 1st turn, draw 1 on any subsequent turns where the player starts without a card; one objective card at a time. Discarding as normal. Dawn of War.
4th mission: Kill Points. Dawn of War.
5th mission: Random objectives: 1 worth 4, 2 worth 3, 2 worth 2, 1 worth 1. Diagonal setup (whatever it's called).

I brought a mechanized AM list that looked a little like this:
CCS, 2 melta, 2 plasma
2 ML2 Psykers
2 Vet squads in Chimeras w/ 2 meltas
2 Vet squads in Chimeras w/ 3 plasmas
3 Armored Sentinels w/ plasma cannons
2 Vendettas
2 Leman Russes
1 Demolisher
You guys have all seen my army, so I won't spam you with pictures of it.

1st mission
My opponent's Army:

1 CAD Space Wolves, 1 CAD Grey Knights, 1 Allies Space Marines, Medium-sized bunker w/ escape hatch.

Totally got hosed in this one. His GK's dropped in and cleansing flamed most of my Chimeras, and his Centurions got out the escape hatch and started taking out my Russes. My inexperience with GKs and escape hatches really showed, here. Dude was nice, though. The army looked great, but I found out later it was not painted by him. Final score: 28-0, him.

2nd Mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD Dark Eldar - the older codex. The new codex didn't make the rules cutoff date.

Lots of raiders, couple of ravagers, a razorwing. He seized the initiative and I thought I was reamed, but he proceeded to not hit or penetrate a single thing with all of his dark lances. My tanks had no problem on my turn, though. Highlights include my demolisher single-handedly destroying 2 ravagers and 2 raiders, and a shaken Chimera destroying the razorwing in one round of shooting, the turn it came in. Result: 21-4, me.

3rd mission
My opponent's army:

2 CADs Tyranids

The four Flyrants were all he needed to totally demolish me. I ended up killing one, but the other three completely wrecked my poo poo. The rest of his army did nothing but contest objectives. Still a fun game, though, dude was super nice. He actually lives near me, so we'll play again in the future. Result: 16-1, him.

4th mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD CSM, 1 CAD Deamons

Belakor. That loving guy. This game was a ton of fun. Inexperience once again raised it's head because I had no idea beasts moved so drat fast. It was kill points so I had a bunch of crap in reserve. Started out bad, but I ended up picking up 7 KPs to his 9 (he got bonus pts for the win), so it turned out to be pretty close. Result 14-7, him.

5th mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD Sapce Marines done up like Storm Troopers from Star Wars with TIE Fighter Stormtalons and a Lambda Shuttle Stormraven.

Best game of the tournament, right here. We were both well out of it, so we were able to focus on pure fun and action. Lots of things died, on both sides. Late game, my Vendettas proved to be awesome (again) and one of my Leman Russes just would quit kicking rear end. He had a Typhoon land speeder that would not stop kicking my rear end, though. Took out 2 chimeras and a squad all on it's own. Great game. Result: 25-3, me.

At the end of it, I actually won something! I was awarded with Best Overall (battle points + painting) for Astra Militarum! Tournament weekends are the best. I can't wait for my next one!

Here's a bunch of pictures of other armies:

This army was loving rad. Buzz Lightyear themed storm troopers!

Awesome pics! Where is your army?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hencoe posted:

It looks like it's done for 30k since Sigismund and his company used his personal heraldry. Which when the legions split, became the Black Templars.

A couple of pages back, but this is it, yes. Sigismund was First Captain of the Imperial Fists, and as such the First Company used Sigismund's heraldry. When the Legions split, Dorn assigned Sigismund to command one of the successor chapters, which adopted Sigismund's heraldry full-time and were named the Black Templars. Templars being a thing that already existed in the 30k-era Fists as a special rank/duty.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

xtothez posted:

I like how its just floating in the air

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Thanks for sharing! It looks like it was a great time. I've seen the army with the pink stormraven and Buzz Lightyear Stormtroopers on Dakka, the guy does awesome work. It's cool that you got to play him.

Ignite Memories posted:

It's really kind of astounding how ugly and generic the newer monstrous creatures look. I just can't understand where the inspiration went - like they're totally out of gribblies and now all they can do is photoshop them around, make certain gribblies bigger. It's like they're trying to make a giant-oval-base-sized version of every tyranid that already exists.
Up next: The Gauntocrine and the Hormafex combo kit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Awesome army shots!

PeterWeller posted:

Hey man, just remember that the very book that got you to pull your DE back out is called mediocre by many. :)

Yep, very true! I really like the new DE. And...

OhDearGodNo posted:

Doesn't matter what you play as long as you like playing them.

back in 3rd Ed I played DE and lost 90% of the time. However I had a poo poo ton of fun especially since most had never gone against them before. Things sometimes went hilariously well, and I learned a lot.

There's so much more to this than the game, bugs look great and are probably the most fun to paint. And when you lay out an 1850 swarm it's good to see your opponent sweat until the game starts.

I know my DE make the other players sweat just as much as pulling out a massive horde of Nids so it's all good.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Here are some pics of Sex Cannon's beautiful IG force:

Glad you had a good time and got another medal! I see you didn't go for the Lord Commissar in a personal Vendetta, though...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Are Plasma Cannon Sents the bomb now?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have finally finished my honor guard and Chapter Master for my Cathartes Aura Space Marine Chapter. There are a few things that I need to touch up, as usual, that I wasn't able to see until I put a camera on my figures. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Cathartes Aura is the scientific name of the red headed Turkey Vuture by the way. Also, Cathartes means purifier.

Group shot

Chapter Master

Standard Bearer along with shots of the banner and the Vulture. A special thanks to BuffaloChicken for the axe. He looks better now that he actually has a weapon.

Here is the Champion. I am really happy with how this guy turned out.

For the most part I plan on running them as having Relic Blades. Most of them are modeled with axes, but I did use swords as well.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Drill my barrels. Unfortunately my drill bit broke and my exacto knife doesn't have a point on it anymore so I wasn't able to drill the barrel yet because money is short. It will get drilled though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
good thing you posted those before I posted the Tyranids i am working on so I know to just post them much, much later

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

I like the look of this model in this shot. It's built less like a carnifex and more like a weird, hunchbacked centaur with a brain-hump. I'm also glad the dead terminator is an optional bit and not something it has to drag around with it. Hopefully it gets better rules in the next codex. :gbsmith:

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

jadebullet posted:

So I have finally finished my honor guard and Chapter Master for my Cathartes Aura Space Marine Chapter. There are a few things that I need to touch up, as usual, that I wasn't able to see until I put a camera on my figures. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Cathartes Aura is the scientific name of the red headed Turkey Vuture by the way. Also, Cathartes means purifier.

Group shot

The muted colour palette on these guys is awesome. The mix and match of all the different armour styles and types is great as well.

Not many people get the "gritty space mans" thing right, but I'd love to see these guys on a table.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's shaped like a zoat. Nothing new, nothing original.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is a super duper serious question, or not.

How do Eldar Corsairs protect themselves from Slaanesh? Craft World use Spirit Stones, Exodite use ????, Eldar Corsairs use ??? , Dark Eldar use BDSM.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Same way? They usually have a craftworld they are aligned with to replenish and sell crap.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Safety Factor posted:

I like the look of this model in this shot. It's built less like a carnifex and more like a weird, hunchbacked centaur with a brain-hump. I'm also glad the dead terminator is an optional bit and not something it has to drag around with it. Hopefully it gets better rules in the next codex. :gbsmith:

Give it a big tail and it could be Atma Weapon.

quote:

How do Eldar Corsairs protect themselves from Slaanesh? Craft World use Spirit Stones, Exodite use ????, Eldar Corsairs use ??? , Dark Eldar use BDSM.

Dunno about Corsairs, Exodites use what they call World Spirits, which are basically menhirs and other types of ancient rune-covered stone things. Works just like the infinity circuit though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

good grief...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if any of you idiots buy that kit Im going to be very disappointed

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hollismason posted:

This is a super duper serious question, or not.

A mix of stones, infinity circuits, and presumably BDSM depending on who the corsairs are. Some are DE, some are the Craftworld fleets, and some are a mix.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Moola posted:

It's a low-res image. The back left hoof is pretty clearly on the ground and just bright red, and the front left claw is on the ground too. You can't see the back right hoof, but I'm guessing it's on the ground.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Haha, it cannot be unseen now!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually think Tyranids are my least favourite army look wise. It just looks lovely. Sorry. Except for that guy who painted them Cel Shaded that was boss. Otherwise I think they look stupid and boring.

They should get whoever is designing the Warhammer Fantasy models to redo Tyranids.

How is it that Fantasy gets better looking miniatures all the time and just awesomely unique looking guys.

Ugh.

Fantasy looks so much better than 40k line, don't even loving argue with me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You mean you don't like empty armor plates nearly devoid of detail?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

I will buy 4.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've thought about playing fantasy just because apparently the rules changed and it's back to like 50% bad asses then some troops. Don't know if that's a good thing.

edit:

Oh I bought some Dark Eldar because the book is cool. Oh well :( I have a bunch of Slaanesh Daemons so I'm just gonna be all "It's a Crone World"

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

jadebullet posted:

Standard Bearer along with shots of the banner and the Vulture. A special thanks to BuffaloChicken for the axe. He looks better now that he actually has a weapon.
Always happy to see bits go to good use - these guys look great, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the axes in action. I also approve of the Chapter name, having studied zoology in college (including ornithology).

The Tyranids are starting to look better now that we're seeing more angles. I can't comment on the rules because I'm illiterate and, after converting my minis, rely on my brother telling my drunk rear end mid-game how my own units function.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

Stop listening to other people - develop your own opinions by proxying something as one of these creatures and see if it is fun to play/worth purchasing.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Moola posted:

its dogshit because its boring as gently caress codex to play, not cause it aint 'viable' or 'powerful'

One of the best games of 40k I have EVER played was with the new codex in the last 5 months and I played Tyranids vs a Salamanders army. Neither of us were bored and it was an absolute blast. So it may be boring for YOU - but I don't think it is.

Of course I am primarily playing my CSM army - so I guess that says something, but the CSM army has always been my army of choice.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I enjoy playing my Tyranids. I've had some great, close matches with it. I legit do get people going "oh poo poo" when they see three FMCs, three ground MCs, and a malanthrope to give them all great cover turn one, AND have an imperial knight hanging out nearby.

(Not trying to be smug about my list, just that I have been having fun with nids. I just wish there were more ways to do it. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I had a great time playing against my friend's Nids back in 6th edition. It was a low points game, and it was actually pretty close.

• Locked thread