Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
My fave is James Stirling. Postmodernism done right.

R. Mute posted:

everything from the impressionist onwards is technically modern art

Olympia was from before Manet met and joined the other Impressionists. Although it is seen as a watershed in the movement that would become Impressionism, it is not unto itself an example of the form, or more crucially, Modern.

vvvvv OK, now you're just trolling.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Goons love brutalism so loving much idgi

Engineering schools designed with brutalist architercture

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Olympia was from before Manet met and joined the other Impressionists.
his early work would be pre-impressionist, but still part of modern art

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i saw some cool Art at the Detroit Museum of Arts

then they sold it all off to private collectors or something because gently caress poor people

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

haha, did they actually go through with that?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Engineering schools designed with brutalist architercture

most of the natural science buildings at my university look like poo poo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Yeah, I thought that was still up in the air. The Detroit art museum thing, I mean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

most of the natural science buildings at my university look like poo poo

Actually, they're all mirrors ahahahah

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the humanities hall (e.g. where foreign language classes are held) and another building where the history professors have their offices are all brutalist

at least they're like yellowish so that they don't look completely soul-crushing when you get close to them

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
idk i just assumed that it went through by now because We Live In The Worst Of All Possible Worlds

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

visceril posted:

does anyone actually like those hideous buildings or is it all trolls trying to get goons into a frothing 10 posts hate at this point?

It works. I'm pretty pissed, Government Center is an atrocity.

Nothing says "Lets give civil service a go" like a beehive built for giant evil robots. Here, let's be open minded children of science at a beehive built for giant evil robots:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rscott posted:

idk i just assumed that it went through by now because We Live In The Worst Of All Possible Worlds

Uh obviously you didn't see the Marvel movie announcments today

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Actually, they're all mirrors ahahahah

found a pic of you.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
now postmodern art, that's some poo poo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

baw posted:

so i read perlstein's trilogy, fear and loathing campaign trail 72 and nixon agonistes, which was really great. i need to reread some of the later parts because it was a little over my head but the chapters about nixon and eisenhower's relationship were great (especially the duel of the checkers speech) and the parts about what an american presidential election even means really make u think. he explains that say you have ten issues that you care about, you have a candidate that agrees with four of them, or maybe just two of them but they are very important to you, or maybe his opponent strongly takes the opposite stance on one of your important issues, and in the end after every voter makes these judgments while casting their vote then what kind of mandate does a president really even have?

anyway i still want to know more what do i read

You read some good books! Nixon Agonistes should be required reading for anyone interested in US politics. I'd recommend Hofstadter's Anti-Intellectualism in American Life if you want some more like that, or Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes (about the CIA) and Enemies (about the FBI) if you're in the mood for something closer to Perlstein's narrative history.

Comedy option: Game Change and Double Down

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Seconding Hofstader's book. It's good.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So that's some poo poo going down in Georgia, innit.

Joementum posted:

You read some good books! Nixon Agonistes should be required reading for anyone interested in US politics. I'd recommend Hofstadter's Anti-Intellectualism in American Life if you want some more like that, or Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes (about the CIA) and Enemies (about the FBI) if you're in the mood for something closer to Perlstein's narrative history.

Comedy option: Game Change and Double Down
Pretty sure you can't recommend those books without a complimentary drink recipe.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Cheekio posted:

Nothing says "Lets give civil service a go" like a beehive built for giant evil robots. Here, let's be open minded children of science at a beehive built for giant evil robots:

I think those two buildings look neat

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

rscott posted:

brutalism is pretty cool imo
Yeah!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
what about more campaign books? wills mentions murat halstead as being the best chronicler of presidential campaigns and i think those are my current favorite thing to read about. i guess i need to finally read hofstadter since he got namedropped a lot in nixon agonistes

also we're coming up on the 50th anniversary of goldwater's defeat. i'd make a thread but i won't have access to my books for a few weeks

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
RIP nasa rocket

e: https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/6BB1...V9QNmp6vJoMUTer

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 28, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We do this and the other things not because they are easy but because there has been a vehicle anomaly.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1kOW-luAoI

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

baw posted:

what about more campaign books?

Collision 2012 is the best campaign retrospective on that election. What It Takes (about 1988) is the best all around. The Boys on the Bus is a fun look at how dumb the media coverage is, but it's been 40 years and that topic's pretty old hat. Oops! is the best campaign diary from the 2012 primary from a reporter who was covering one of the Republican candidates. Guess which one!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cheekio posted:

When I was walking around Boston for the first time and saw that building I started laughing my rear end off. Then I was told it's name and function and started laughing harder. It's like someone looked at the Empire in Star Wars and decided that design philosophy would be the best for a government building. I kept looking for the ports that would open in case of a riot and spray deadly lasers bolts into the crowd.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:laffo: "Pentaghazi"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

When I was walking around Boston for the first time and saw that building I started laughing my rear end off. Then I was told it's name and function and started laughing harder. It's like someone looked at the Empire in Star Wars and decided that design philosophy would be the best for a government building. I kept looking for the ports that would open in case of a riot and spray deadly lasers bolts into the crowd.

i would love to hear the pitch by whatever architect designed it. is it on the national or state historic registers?

edit: can i say i love how willa gets evilweasel so mad

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 29, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

>location

You press the "Display On" button on your Apple Edition+ iWatch and scroll two screens right before pressing the "LocateMe GlobeXplorer" icon.

Two lines appear, reading:

The Critical! Low Battery! (<3%) warning pops up.

Pretty sure you're not cleared to divulge the coordinates AFRICOM rendition bases.

Also, re architecture chat: I'm a big fan of red brick, neoclassical, and gothic, in ascending order.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra posted:

is it on the national or state historic registers?

Yes, a couple of Harvard architecture professors got it added a while back when the city was threatening to tear it down and replace it with a modern building that doesn't cost five times as much as it should to heat.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pretty sure you're not cleared to divulge the coordinates AFRICOM rendition bases.

Also, re architecture chat: I'm a big fan of red brick, neoclassical, and gothic, in ascending order.

have i got a building for you!

Joementum posted:

Yes, a couple of Harvard architecture professors got it added a while back when the city was threatening to tear it down and replace it with a modern building that doesn't cost five times as much as it should to heat.

randler was right, gently caress academics

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

not like its http://goo.gl/maps/BNenj

Meeting in 10, will discuss rural education issues with ESL in sub saharan african and historical sites of niger later

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Oops! is the best campaign diary from the 2012 primary from a reporter who was covering one of the Republican candidates. Guess which one!

Hmm, well it could be Herman Cain, or Rick Santorum, or....uhhh....ummm....

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i'm pretty sure brutalist architecture is designed to be heated by waste energy from the nuclear power plants contained within, if only you hippies weren't so loving anti science

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

have i got a building for you!

Would totally want to live near that. Except it's in Berlin and that place is swarming with Israeli hipsters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Modernism isn't over y'all, postmodernism was a feint. Notice how everything is still Helvetica? yeahhh. Search your feelings you know it to be true.

Modern art isn't over either, look at this latest development called "a video game that cost more than a movie to produce"

e: VVV Mansard roofs are ugly

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

baw
Nov 5, 2008

how about combining the discussion of modern art with the discussion about architecture
\

pretty sure that a toddler could have designed and constructed this art museum, and painted the paintings in it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

not like its http://goo.gl/maps/BNenj

Meeting in 10, will discuss rural education issues with ESL in sub saharan african and historical sites of niger later

that looks an abandoned airfield, what was the first one you posted? google maps has everything around the square you posted in near night satellite photos so I can't make out anything other than some bushes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rscott posted:

i'm pretty sure brutalist architecture is designed to be heated by waste energy from the nuclear power plants contained within, if only you hippies weren't so loving anti science

noooo you'll summon the energy thread

also, wasn't the "nuclear reactors for everything" phase more late 40s/early 50s? i thought brutalism was a 60s/70s thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

the humanities hall (e.g. where foreign language classes are held) and another building where the history professors have their offices are all brutalist

at least they're like yellowish so that they don't look completely soul-crushing when you get close to them

UCI is beautiful and the distinct styles surrounding a verdant park is exactly how brutalism (and more recent brutalism-inspired architecture) ought to be done. When you plop an angular concrete building in an equally angular concrete parking lot with no contrast, that's when you've hosed it up.

Not actually a NASA rocket, owned by some idiot contractor firing some other idiot contractor's nanosat attempts to test exploitative space mining.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread