Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you post a photo of the problem with the lip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

This is what the Cambro looks like. The Rubbermaid container has a much deeper lip; it's not possible to get the clip screw under it, so you can only screw it down to the lip, which is really unstable. I guess I should really bite the bullet and do some cutting since I need to do the lid anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anyone else have a wobble in their bernzatic right here? Wondering if it's normal or mine has a defect.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
No wobble on mine. I have the 8000, not sure if the 4000 looks different.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone else have a wobble in their bernzatic right here? Wondering if it's normal or mine has a defect.

What do you mean a wobble at that location?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The top half (nozzle) rocks a little

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yo can i sous vizzle condensed milk in the can instead of jarring for that sweet dulce de leche?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FamDav posted:

yo can i sous vizzle condensed milk in the can instead of jarring for that sweet dulce de leche?

Yeah. You don't even need a sous vizzle setup, just toss it in a pot of boiling water and simmer for a couple hours.

edit: To be clear, that's done with sweetened condensed milk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Has anyone gotten their Kickstarter Anova yet? I'm antsy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Thanks for reminding me, I had all but forgotten about the wait until this post. :f5:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

Mine shipped yesterday, tracking says arriving Monday. I believe I'm in the first group shipping. Have you received your invite to their tracking site yet?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Motherfucker. I haven't even gotten an invite to the tracking site yet, even though my order is clearly more important because I'm getting five of the things :mad:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

Mine shipped yesterday, tracking says arriving Monday. I believe I'm in the first group shipping. Have you received your invite to their tracking site yet?

I have not :(

It's fine though, I can wait a little longer, I'm just glad that at least they've begun shipping them.

Straker posted:

Motherfucker. I haven't even gotten an invite to the tracking site yet, even though my order is clearly more important because I'm getting five of the things :mad:

I know what you mean. I'm only getting one, but I backed it on the Kickstarter's very first day!! I'm important!!!!!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Whoop, received my Searzall. Can't wait to get home, set it up, and play.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
First test run. Need more practice with distributing the heat, probably need to make circles or zigzag or something.

Before cooking I cut off the fat strip and rendered it, and then rubbed that fat around the steak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JI6y2IdA

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone else with a Searzall have their outer screen start to bow out when seasoning? Mine bowed out maybe a quarter inch when hot and ended up about an eighth inch bowed out after it cooled.

Also my adapter seems to be a bit off, made it hard to get the searzall head perfectly aligned with with angle of the torch...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mine bowed out a little too, I think it might be normal.

My adapter was also not exactly 1/8 of an inch. You can use a dime and nickel stacked together as an alternative.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Mine bowed out a little too, I think it might be normal.

My adapter was also not exactly 1/8 of an inch. You can use a dime and nickel stacked together as an alternative.

My adapter wasn't perfect but I used the stick anyways. I got a few flame pops at the start of seasoning but at the end of seasoning the adapter wasn't leaking flame.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone else with a Searzall have their outer screen start to bow out when seasoning? Mine bowed out maybe a quarter inch when hot and ended up about an eighth inch bowed out after it cooled.

Also my adapter seems to be a bit off, made it hard to get the searzall head perfectly aligned with with angle of the torch...

Probably par for course, you can see a bowing on one of the one's Booker and Dax use in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcn2nlgP_a8

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's hilarious that in the kickstarter video Dave suggests that you could use it in a dorm room. As if.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
After listening to the Cooking Issues podcast for a couple of weeks, I not only believe that Dave would earnestly suggest that, I 100% believe he'd do it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm sure he would too. I'm also sure he would get kicked out for using it

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I'm sure he would too. I'm also sure he would get kicked out for using it

Bet you he's already done it just to see if he could.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Do yall have a goto temp for medium ribeye? I usually cook ribeye at 130 or 131F but my brother prefers medium (whatever that means, these terms fluctuate wildly in my experience).

I told him that I cook it in a cooler of water and he's convinced I'm an idiot so it should be a good experience for him regardless.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Bob_McBob posted:

Where are Canadians getting Cambro containers? I've only ever seen them at a couple of restaurant supply places that either sell in packs of six or are incredibly expensive. I have the Rubbermaid equivalent of the standard 12x18x9 Cambro, but it's annoying as poo poo because the Anova clip doesn't clear the lip properly, so the only option is to leave it hanging loose. I can't even find the little poly containers people use for cooking small items.

Nella Cucina on Bathurst St in Toronto sells individual units

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Foodahn posted:

Do yall have a goto temp for medium ribeye? I usually cook ribeye at 130 or 131F but my brother prefers medium (whatever that means, these terms fluctuate wildly in my experience).

I told him that I cook it in a cooler of water and he's convinced I'm an idiot so it should be a good experience for him regardless.

I personally use this as a guideline - http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

140 still turns out pretty decent and its still very moist when I do cook certain cuts of meat. For a nice rib eye, definitely try to convince him that Medium Rare for a Sous Vide steak as the way to go.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any reason why a whole brisket would be unsafe to sous vide? I know that very thick cuts will not hear to core safely, but I figure a brisket is thin enough to not be a problem.

I am actually doing this for tamales. I am thinking of doing the chile sauce first and putting a little in the bag with the meat. Last year I smoked the brisket for tamales and they were great and I think sous vide will be even better.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any reason why a whole brisket would be unsafe to sous vide? I know that very thick cuts will not hear to core safely, but I figure a brisket is thin enough to not be a problem.

I am actually doing this for tamales. I am thinking of doing the chile sauce first and putting a little in the bag with the meat. Last year I smoked the brisket for tamales and they were great and I think sous vide will be even better.
It isn't unsafe in principle to put a brisket in the puddle machine. You probably only want to smoke the flat of a trimmed brisket. The fat cap would probably just come out gross and it's the least well-behaved part of most briskets (in terms of geometry) anyway.

The downside of doing a brisket sous vide as opposed to smoking is that you get neither a smoke ring nor bark. If you just want a bunch of beef to shred that's probably not a big deal. But it's worth pointing out that it doesn't really produce a similar result.

Some people are happy adding liquid smoke or the equivalent to try to replicate the flavour of smoked meat. I'm not a fan of this, but your mileage may vary. You can also smoke a brisket for the first couple hours and then finish it in the puddle machine---smoke ring formation only happens before the meat hits around 140 F/60 C so if you put a probe in the surface and pull the brisked when the first quarter inch/cm or so hits temperature you'll get all the smoke ring you'd have gotten if you'd done the whole thing in the smoker.

Bark formation, however, is something that needs a lot of time in a fairly dry environment to get all those proteins to polymerise. I don't know any way of faking/expediting the process.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SubG posted:

It isn't unsafe in principle to put a brisket in the puddle machine. You probably only want to smoke the flat of a trimmed brisket. The fat cap would probably just come out gross and it's the least well-behaved part of most briskets (in terms of geometry) anyway.

The downside of doing a brisket sous vide as opposed to smoking is that you get neither a smoke ring nor bark. If you just want a bunch of beef to shred that's probably not a big deal. But it's worth pointing out that it doesn't really produce a similar result.

Some people are happy adding liquid smoke or the equivalent to try to replicate the flavour of smoked meat. I'm not a fan of this, but your mileage may vary. You can also smoke a brisket for the first couple hours and then finish it in the puddle machine---smoke ring formation only happens before the meat hits around 140 F/60 C so if you put a probe in the surface and pull the brisked when the first quarter inch/cm or so hits temperature you'll get all the smoke ring you'd have gotten if you'd done the whole thing in the smoker.

Bark formation, however, is something that needs a lot of time in a fairly dry environment to get all those proteins to polymerise. I don't know any way of faking/expediting the process.

I have smoked whole packer brisket before, and I actually want to avoid the smoke. The one complaint from some people last year was the smoked flavor of the smoked meat in the tamales (traditionalists). But yeah, I have been smoking meat for years. I cheat and use a BBQ Guru controller for my WSM, saying more here would be a derail.

My concern was more about thickness of a brisket when puddled than anything else. My desired end result is a bunch of shredded meat seasoned with chile sauce. I realize I may lose the Maillard reaction flavor from torching after the puddle, but it should be dang good if the chile sauce is nice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you're just going to shred it up anyways, cut it into two big pieces so that they can each reach food safety temp.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

If you're just going to shred it up anyways, cut it into two big pieces so that they can each reach food safety temp.

Isn't the limiting factor thickness? In that case I would just separate the point from the flat.

Or if I just want shredded beef is there something better than brisket?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Actually yeah in terms of food safety brisket should be fine.

I have no idea if it'll be good taste-wise

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Isn't the limiting factor thickness? In that case I would just separate the point from the flat.

If you're just after shredded beef braise brisket in red wine and beef stock and shred it into the liquid like you would chili

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I've done sous vide brisket. Smoked for ~4 hours at ~149f/65%rh and then sous vide at 149f for 48 hours. You lose the bark (or soften it significantly if you smoke it long enough to develop one) but the meat is excellent. I suggest cutting as you described, that's what I did. If you skip the smoke it should still turn out fine, just not smoked obviously.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Anova came! Very impressive packaging. Already have it going in the cooler, with salmon in at 120F.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Were you one of the $99 people

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Were you one of the $99 people

Yes. Salmon came out amazing. Eggs were a bit runny, but I think my eggs were very cold. Just put lamb in for 23 hours at 135F.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

I got the notice that the Anova is coming soon but no ship notice yet. Amazon mis-shipped my searzall but it looks like I might finally get that this week. Going camping in a few weeks, going to try and bring the searzall and the Anova for steak night.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I made a sous vide + searzall burger that came out really tasty. Getting better with the technique, but I think it's woefully inefficient if you want to cook for more than one or two. Even two is a stretch.

Pro tips:
1) Brush meat with butter.
2) Get as close as humanly possible to the meat.
3) Have a base you can easily rotate. Angle about 45 degrees over the edge and slowly rotate. Then finish off with circles on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

geetee posted:

I made a sous vide + searzall burger that came out really tasty. Getting better with the technique, but I think it's woefully inefficient if you want to cook for more than one or two. Even two is a stretch.

Pro tips:
1) Brush meat with butter.
2) Get as close as humanly possible to the meat.
3) Have a base you can easily rotate. Angle about 45 degrees over the edge and slowly rotate. Then finish off with circles on top.

The searzall is inefficient? Why's that? just the time it takes?