Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Good ol' Russian ingenuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mustang posted:

Good ol' Russian ingenuity.

I'm reminded of the following passage from Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, describing the protagonist's unboxing and setup of a WWII-era Soviet infantry mortar system:

quote:

A series of parabolas is plotted out, the mortar supporting one leg and exploding Germans supporting the opposite. Ask a Russian engineer to design you a shoe, and he'll give you something that looks like the box the shoe came in. Ask him to design something that will slaughter Germans, and he turns into Thomas loving Edison.

It's a book I grudgingly enjoy. Mainly for brief, dim shimmers of Thompsonesque vividness buried within.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

The French advance about 50 yards towards Poelcappelle. The Germans advance about 50 yards past Neuve Chapelle. Generals on all sides remain optimistic of achieving a breakthrough very soon. A brand-new British dreadnought gets turned into interesting sea-bed furniture. And golf clubs across Britain consider banning any member of German descent from their premises, to save true Britons any embarrassment in case they should happen to accidentally mention the war. (Sadly, it is not recorded whether "of German descent" might include the King, son of a German father and a mostly-German mother.)

Why were the Germans able to advance to much after the initial battles that checked their advance? Larger army?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Ensign Expendable posted:

There was an Imperial Russian proposal for 70 cm of tightly wound rope backed with steel to be used as fortress armour, but it never made it into production. Although, my favourite was the one that proposed to surround armoured cars with pipes that would spray gasoline and then ignite it. Flamethrowers in every direction!

How do you mean 'backed'? That actually sounds like a really cool design.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

Well, everyone's infantry. He's Maurice of Nassau's namesake, appropriately.

Edit. Meanwhile...

The guys I study have a high opinion of themselves. Nobody else shares it.

Ask Us About Military History: Whoring, Drinking, And A Halberd

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

The French advance about 50 yards towards Poelcappelle. The Germans advance about 50 yards past Neuve Chapelle. Generals on all sides remain optimistic of achieving a breakthrough very soon. A brand-new British dreadnought gets turned into interesting sea-bed furniture. And golf clubs across Britain consider banning any member of German descent from their premises, to save true Britons any embarrassment in case they should happen to accidentally mention the war. (Sadly, it is not recorded whether "of German descent" might include the King, son of a German father and a mostly-German mother.)

You might be one king off there. I assume you mean Edward VII, who had German parents, but George V had an English father and a Danish mother :v: (Although almost all royals had at least a german grandparent apparently)

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Theres only 1 royal family in france and a couple in iberia but Germany has a bajillion handy when you got loads of kids to get married.

Germany, single handedly saving the European monarchies from (too much) interbreeding. Hapsburgs aside.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well that's a uniquely Russian solution :stare:

Uniquely? Naw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 28, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Theres only 1 royal family in france and a couple in iberia but Germany has a bajillion handy when you got loads of kids to get married.

Germany, single handedly saving the European monarchies from (too much) interbreeding. Hapsburgs aside.

Ask Us About Military History: Hapsperging Out

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Ask Us About Military History: Hapsperging Out

If there is ever a 3rd thread, I nominate that being the title.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

How do you mean 'backed'? That actually sounds like a really cool design.

A layer of tightly coiled rope in front of a steel plate. There are actually a lot of really cool designs proposed to the Russian Empire and the USSR that were ahead of their time, such as reactive armour, APDS, body armour, compressed air starters, etc that were discarded because the invention they were a part of was completely insane and infeasible or the technology to implement them did not exist.

Also, on a milhist forum I go to, someone made an amusing typo.

>"It is on the Navy, under
>the goon providence of God,
>that our wealth and peace
>depend."
>Charles II.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well, from what I recall the Stuarts were pretty goony when they weren't partying or getting down with the G-man.

Unless this is the other King called Charles. In advance, stupid monarchies with their limited name pool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, from what I recall the Stuarts were pretty goony when they weren't partying or getting down with the G-man.

Unless this is the other King called Charles. In advance, stupid monarchies with their limited name pool.

Charles II was all of the stuff Cromwell repressed given human form.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Our old friends Emden pop up again at Penang, and Captain Muller has another great trick up his sleeve. Meanwhile, the British put a spectacularly brave face on another hideous and bloody French failure at Poelcappelle, and the Belgians succeed in flooding the Yser properly.

Comstar posted:

Why were the Germans able to advance to much after the initial battles that checked their advance? Larger army?

They didn't advance to the front, they and the French kept trying to flank each other over unoccupied territory and kept going like that all the way to the sea. Once that process was complete, we ended up with a bunch of bloody battles that nearly broke the line in various places, about a hundred times over; but looked at in hindsight you could characterise it as just the line settling down. Certainly the days when an army could reasonably hope for a mile or more of advance per day are over, although nobody knows it yet.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Eagerly looking forward to the first post that's simply 'All quiet on the western front'. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've got two weird hypothetical questions about submarines:

What would happen if one of the torpedoes in the torpedo bay went off inside the sub?

and

What would happen if a nuclear warhead that a submarine was carrying detonated while the sub was underwater?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

James I and VI was a huge gay nerd, but he knew how to hang out with people, especially other Scots. Charles I was really, really bad at it.

The Winter Queen, James I/VI's daughter, was not particularly goony, but her husband was a real nebbish.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 29, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

What would happen if one of the torpedoes in the torpedo bay went off inside the sub?

and

What would happen if a nuclear warhead that a submarine was carrying detonated while the sub was underwater?

The submarine explodes and sinks. Everybody dies.

Subs are good at withstanding outside water pressure, not internal explosions.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

In short: bad things.

Keep in mind that the initial explosion that blew up the torpedo room on the Kursk was caused by a propellant leak in a practice torpedo, which didn't have an explosive warhead. Had an actual live warhead detonated while loaded in the tube, she probably would've gone down even faster. As it stands, the secondary explosions from the other warheads going off after she hit bottom pretty much hosed her up completely.

3 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 29, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Short answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RvOnAMdr_s

We've done poo poo loads of under-water nuclear testing. The above was the Operation Hardtack blast. Basically a fuckoff huge splash, big cloud of steam, maybe a mushroom cloud if it's close enough to the surface, and a mini-tsunami from all that rapidly displaced water. Really mini though all things considered.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RvOnAMdr_s

We've done poo poo loads of under-water nuclear testing. The above was the Operation Hardtack blast. Basically a fuckoff huge splash, big cloud of steam, maybe a mushroom cloud if it's close enough to the surface, and a mini-tsunami from all that rapidly displaced water. Really mini though all things considered.

Depends on the depth. If it was in shallow water, you get something like the Baker test, which is pretty bad news for everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads#Test_Baker

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

That's the Wahoo shot right?

Fangz posted:

Depends on the depth. If it was in shallow water, you get something like the Baker test, which is pretty bad news for everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads#Test_Baker

I recently posted the Soviet version in the Cold War TFR thread. Apparently it's a Novaya Zemlya test which I'd never seen before! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3RmFHYxfbA&t=83s

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
A while ago I learned that Tilly was not only so nervous about his German he had someone else do his pre-battle speeches, but he also didn't want to admit that he was nervous about his German so he had the bad habit of signing his name to letters he may not have fully understood. This makes any close reading of his correspondence problematic for historians. Poor fellow!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

A new challenger appears! The Ottoman navy attacks several of Russia's Black Sea ports. A formal declaration of war will take a few days, but they're in it now, up to their eyeballs. The French launch another useless attack on Poelcappelle, there's trouble brewing elsewhere in the Ypres salient; and on the Aisne, the Germans attack with colourful language and a stray horse. No, really.

Hunterhr posted:

Eagerly looking forward to the first post that's simply 'All quiet on the western front'. :v:

Don't hold your breath.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

A new challenger appears! The Ottoman navy attacks several of Russia's Black Sea ports. A formal declaration of war will take a few days, but they're in it now, up to their eyeballs. The French launch another useless attack on Poelcappelle, there's trouble brewing elsewhere in the Ypres salient; and on the Aisne, the Germans attack with colourful language and a stray horse. No, really.

Don't hold your breath.

Point of order: the Goeben is a battle cruiser, the Breslau is a light cruiser. You describe both as battle cruisers, which makes me assume you have a lucrative sidejob writing propaganda for the Ottoman Empire.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm just trying to counterbalance all the blanco and bullshit I'm reading every day in the Telegraph :colbert:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The submarine sinks. You probably get sympathetic detonations of the rest of the weapons in the room so the sub's really, really dead.

quote:

The submarine is vaporized or pulverized down to tiny little bits, and is really, really, really, really dead.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It would have to be a major electrical fault, since torpedoes are not armed until they are a minimum distance from the submarine.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Or in the case of one Mk 14 back in WW2, fail to eject from tube. Standard practice was to let them sit until they could be removed in port. Problem was, the mk 14 had problems with circular running, so they'd been fitted with gyroscopes set to destruct the torpedo if it was circling (thus likely to hit the sub that launched it)
The gyroscope had no idea that they torpedo was still inside the sub, it just thought it had been fired. When the sub started making some maneuvers... boom.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

Or in the case of one Mk 14 back in WW2, fail to eject from tube. Standard practice was to let them sit until they could be removed in port. Problem was, the mk 14 had problems with circular running, so they'd been fitted with gyroscopes set to destruct the torpedo if it was circling (thus likely to hit the sub that launched it)
The gyroscope had no idea that they torpedo was still inside the sub, it just thought it had been fired. When the sub started making some maneuvers... boom.

That's slightly inaccurate, the MK 14 didn't have problems with circular running, it had problems with loving everything. Every time one problem was fixed, two more appeared in it's place. There's an effortpost about them either earlier in this thread or way back in the first thread that spells it out, but seriously they were terrible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm also reasonably sure that the anti-circular-run gyro disarmed the torpedo, not detonated it. I know standard practice for a hot run (in the tube) is to immediately turn the boat 180° to disable the torpedo. There is evidence that Scorpion was making such a turn just before she was lost in 1968.

Early MkXIVs didn't have this, of course, and at least one boat was lost to a circular run (Tullibee,) with three more possible (Grunion, Tang, and Triton,) before anything was done.

In fact, I can't find anything to indicate that the MkXIV was EVER altered to reduce the possibility of a circular run. The post war MkXVI had it, and was the primary anti-shipping submarine weapon of the immediate post-war, despite large stocks of wartime-production MkXIVs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Don Gato posted:

That's slightly inaccurate, the MK 14 didn't have problems with circular running, it had problems with loving everything. Every time one problem was fixed, two more appeared in it's place. There's an effortpost about them either earlier in this thread or way back in the first thread that spells it out, but seriously they were terrible.

Quoting from the old, old GBS History thread:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could write a book on faulty WW2 torpedoes.

The gyroscope thing is actually a two-stage series of mishaps:

The first is a circular-running torpedo. As you described, torpedoes would have gyroscopes fitted to them so that subs could make off-angle torpedo shots. You'd program a certain heading for the torpedo to take, and the torp would turn to the new angle a few seconds after being shot out the tube.

The problem was that sometimes the gyroscope would not work correctly and so would never tell the torpedo to stop turning, hence being called a circular running torpedo since it would go around in circles. Since submarines tend to move rather slowly (at least relative to the torpedo) when submerged and making attacks, this can be deadly.

Here's where my content begins: In order to solve the problem of circular running, designers attached a SECOND gyroscope to torpedoes. If the second gyro measured a heading that exceeded the programmed turn by 15 degrees or more, the torpedo would self-destruct.

That would solve the problem completely, right? It would, except for the fact that sometimes, torpedoes would fail to shoot from their tubes correctly. Whenever this happened, the sub captain would just order the torpedomen to not touch the tube at all until the end of the patrol.

However, another US submarine was lost after the introduction of the second self-destruct gyro because one of their torpedoes failed to eject from the tube properly during a spread shot, and the submarine then began a turn for evasive action. Since the torpedo was still in the sub, and the sub turned 15 degrees beyond its original heading, the second gyro thought it was in a circular run and triggered the self-destruct, while it was still inside the torpedo tube.

And then of course the problems with magnetic detonators would have to take up a few chapters themselves:

In the beginning, most torpedoes used contact detonators. They'd have a 'pin' at the very front tip of the torpedo that would depress when the torpedo hits a solid object (preferably at a right angle), and the torpedo would explode. In fact, this is how most movies depict torpedo hits.

The problem with this approach is that it's wasteful. So much of your energy is being wasted as it channels 'up' out of the water, as in the big splash of water during when you see those movie-torpedoes.

The solution was to exploit the unique property of water. It's incompressible. If you exert force on a sponge, it shrinks. If you exert force on water, it just moves out of the way. If it can't move out of the way, something else has to.

Therefore, if you detonate a torpedo BELOW a ship, then the water, being incompressible, will instead 'push' the ship. Since your explosion is small relative to the ship, only a small part of the ship will be pushed up. As it gets pushed up, the weight of the opposite ends of the ship will bear down on the small portion affected by the torpedoes explosion. In effect, the ship breaks its own back.

Only, how do get a torpedo to detonate BELOW a ship? Answer: Magnets! Rig a magnet to the head of a torpedo, and when it passes under the great metal mass of a ship, the magnet should detect a great change in the magnetic field. Attune the detonator to the magnet, and you'll theoretically have something that blows up when it passes under a ship.

The problem was that both the German and American Navies did their testing without taking into account the effect of the magnetic field exerted by the EARTH. The Americans tested theirs in Narangasett Bay in Rhode Island, which meant that when they were fighting in the equatorial areas of the Pacific Theater, the magnetic influence was only half as powerful as it was relative to the tests. As a result, most of the torpedoes either detonated early, or never detected a sufficient change and just sailed right under the ships.

The Germans had a slightly different problem - when they deployed their U-Boats to interdict British ships during their invasion of Norway, they found that their torpedoes kept detonating early, even though it seemed to work just fine everywhere else. The issue? Iron deposits. In the shallow waters of the Norwegian Sea, clumps of iron below the sea floor exerted a powerful enough change in the magnetic field that it caused the torpedoes to detonate as it sailed above them. It got so bad that even the best U-Boat aces just up and refused to take shots during the 1940 campaign until the kinks in the system were worked out.

quote:

I cannot believe there's no youtube video of the Konovalov being struck by her own torpedo. "You arrogant rear end in a top hat! You've killed us!"

A similar situation actually happened with the German's first-generation acoustic-homing torpedoes. They were supposed to travel straight for about 400 meters, then turn towards the noisiest target it could hear.

The problem was that if you're shooting at bunch of transports plodding along at 7 to 10 knots nearly a klick away, and your own sub is making waves taking evasive action, the torpedo is going to recognize YOU as the noisier target. The results are rather obvious.

The Germans then determined that it was only prudent to use these particular torpedoes against the faster running convoy escorts such as Destroyers or Corvettes, and even then only when they're moving faster than 15 knots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gotland_(Gtd)#cite_note-9

As a final note, there's also the story of the HMS Gotland, a Swedish diesel-electric submarine that managed to get close enough to the USS Ronald Reagan to snap some pictures of it through its periscope, effectively signifying that the carrier could have been sunk if it was a live-fire exercise.

Maybe next time I'll post about the problems the US Navy had with its contact detonators.

Phanatic posted:

It's amazing to me that nobody went to jail over how awful American torpedoes were in WWII. The air-dropped Mark 13 mentioned above was consistently miserable until late in the war; one exercise in 1941 dropped 10 torpedoes, only one of which worked properly (four out of the ten just sank). A survey done in 1943 found that of 105 dropped at speeds > 150 knots, only 31% worked properly; 36% of them didn't even run. And the Mark 13 wasn't the worst torpedo.

The really really lovely one was the Mark 14/Mark 15 (basically the same design, the 14 was sub-launched, the 15 was launched from destroyers. This was a new! and improved! design replacing the old WWI-era Mark 10. It had a fancy-schmancy magnetic detonator, so that it could explode under the keel of the target ship, doing much more damage than one that runs straight into the side and explodes in contact. And it was totally loving useless. Seriously, not an exagerration, the thing didn't work at all.

See, the same government base, the Newport Torpedo Station, was by act of Congress the only developer, manufacturer, and tester of torpedoes in the entire country, with no third-party evaluation of testing processes or results whatsoever. No full live-fire test of the mark 14 was ever performed; there were trial firings, but none involved actual warheads.

Then we went to war, and then all the sub commanders started to realize that the torpedoes were poo poo almost immediately. In December of '41, USS Sargo fires 8 at two Japanese merchantmen, none hit. The captain finds another two merchantmen, spends an hour making sure the targeting computer's results match perfectly with the pencil-and-paper trigonometry results, and fires four more torpedoes, none hit. A few days later he fires another one at a big-rear end slow-as-hell tanker, another miss. USS Seadragon has an almost identical experience: 8 torpedoes fired, only one hit. In 1943, the USS Tunny sets up an attack on three Japanese carriers, firing 10 torpedoes. 7 of them actually explode, but none of the carriers are damaged.

Probably the single most egregious example was when USS Tinosa tried to sink a Japanese factory whaling ship. They hit the thing with two fish (out of 4), stopping it dead in the water. Then the captain maneuvered to only 800 yards off her beam, and methodically fired 9 more torpedoes, tracking each one through the periscope. Every single one was a dud. He saved his last torpedo so it could be analyzed, and sailed back to base pissed as gently caress. In another almost-identical experience, USS Haddock stops a big tanker with 2 hits, and then puts another 11 torpedoes into her, all of which fail to explode.

The unanimous opinion of sub commanders that the things didn't loving work led eventually to an Bureau of Ordnance investigation. Sort of.

The design actually had several different problems, but each problem made it harder to find the other. First problem is that the thing ran too deep; remember, there were no true live-fire tests done, and during testing the torpedo had a dummy warhead made of concrete, which was lighter than the actual warhead. And then later on, the warhead was replaced with a heavier one. Bottom line was that the thing would just run too far under the target ship for the magnetic detonator to sense the hull and detonate the warhead. Sub skippers just started setting the things to run at zero depth so that at *least* they'd run shallow enough to hit the target, and the Bureau of Ordnance concluded that the testing and design of the depth mechanism was inadequate. So subs started getting more hits.

But not getting more *kills*. Fixing the depth problem just revealed more problems. The magnetic detonator on the Mark VI fuse was also screwy, typically being too sensitive, so the warhead would explode too early and do minimal or no damage to the target. The Navy flat-out refused to believe that anything could possibly be wrong with this high-tech $10,000 device. During that investigation, the government investigator sabotaged one of the loving torpedoes that was used during the trial! He reversed its gyroscope, which meant it wouldn't run straight, and then blamed that fault on the maintenance crew on the sub it came from. Sub skippers started ordering the magnetic feature deactivated on all their torpedoes, so now at *least* they'd run straight into the sides of the target and detonate using the conventional contact fuse. But then they started getting more duds.

Because the contact fuse also sucked. In one test, they dropped 10 torpedoes from a 90' crane, and 7 of them failed to go off. The firing mechanism of the Mark VI was so massive and had so much inertia that a straight-on hit (which everyone was trained to try to achieve) resulted in it bending, jamming, and otherwise failing to fire. Once this was discovered, they started aiming for lower-angle hits, and the fuses began to be remanufactured with lighter, aluminum components.

By the end of the war, it was a fairly-reliable design. So was the Mark 13. The planned replacement for the Mark 14, the Mark 18, was an all-electric design that *also* sucked. It was a copy of a German design, and had the promised advantage of not leaving a bubble trail, so it would be harder to spot and not point the way back to the launch point. But the batteries were weak and had to be recharged frequently, it was slow, it tended to damage itself just being launched, and had no mechanism to protect against a circular run; the USS Tang, the most successful US sub ever, was sunk by one of its own Mark 18s.

Here's a lot more depth on how hosed-up the Mark 14 really was and why:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...rd/BuOrd-6.html

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In the all-time ranking of "hilariously useless yet widely-issued weapons", where does the Mk 14 sit? (Other than at the bottom of the sea with bent firing pins.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks for pulling up those posts guys, I was just dredging that anecdote up from memory having read those back when they were originally posted.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MrYenko posted:

I'm also reasonably sure that the anti-circular-run gyro disarmed the torpedo, not detonated it. I know standard practice for a hot run (in the tube) is to immediately turn the boat 180° to disable the torpedo. There is evidence that Scorpion was making such a turn just before she was lost in 1968.

I didn't know about USS Scorpion so I checked on it, and it gave leads to something having happened on HMS Turbulent during the 2011 Libyan war so I read on that too, and, uh, I'm so glad I have nothing to do with navy and absolutely nothing to do with submarines which are the most suicidal invention in the history of innovation after the suicide jacket:

quote:

During this deployment, just after sailing from Fujairah on 26 May, Turbulent suffered a catastrophic failure of her air-conditioning systems, while on the surface. Internal temperatures quickly rose to 60 °C with 100° humidity, and caused 26 casualties, mainly from heat exhaustion, eight of which were life-threatening. With ambient temperatures in the Indian Ocean at 42 °C, surface ventilation was ineffective and the submarine was only effectively cooled by diving to 200 metres. The cause was later found to be blockage of water inlet pipes by barnacles during an extended stay at Fujairah. The incident was only made public in 2014.[8][9]

A nuclear powered cruise missile armed submarine belonging to country with the 4th largest military budget in the world is almost defeated by barnacles! :backtowork:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What was the Italian intelligence service like in WWII? I've been reading a book on Crete and the Greek theater, and it seems that there were a case or two of axis spies actually being useful in the eastern Mediterranean.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

In the all-time ranking of "hilariously useless yet widely-issued weapons", where does the Mk 14 sit? (Other than at the bottom of the sea with bent firing pins.)

Gonna add to the quote pile by quotin' myself from earlier, but in short: it was criminal how completely useless the Mk14 was and how long BuOrd tried to insist there was nothing wrong with their baby. The only possible saving grace about the Mk14's abysmal performance is that there's a chance that the IJN did not take the submarine threat seriously enough before it was too late is partially due to the Mk14 being poo poo.

3 posted:

The Mark 14 Torpedoes were hilarious garbage, and I love writing about them.

In principle, they were the bee's knees: they used a brand-new spiffy magnetic detonator that used the magnetic field of an iron-hulled ship to fuse the explosive, rather than just a contact trigger. This was important, because naval ships were becoming more and more well armored. But what if you could detonate a torpedo directly underneath a ship, rather than by contact with the armor belt? The resulting explosion of expanding gasses would essentially snap the keel in two, "breaking its back" so to speak. Pretty badass, if pulled off properly.

The Mark 14 was a loving joke though, and it's very nearly a war crime that the Bureau of Ordnance (BuOrd) protected their golden turd for so long. Let's count the problems:

1.) Premature Detonations - The state-of-the-art Mk.6 Magnetic Detonator was calibrated to ambient magnetic field levels at the Naval Torpedo Station in Newport, Rhode Island; the actual magnetic fields in the Pacific theater were wildly different, causing the Mk.6 Detonator to go off way early, before getting anywhere near a ship. This problem could be circumvented (illegally) by skippers manually disabling the magnetic trigger and using the Mk.14's contact detonator, which led directly to:
2.) Duds - The contact detonator for the Mk.14 was apparently made from the cheapest pot metal possible, as a torpedo impacting a target at a 90-degree angle (which is usually best practice) would instead smash the detonator into a useless, bent heap. Skippers were instead directed to fire their torpedoes at an oblique angle and hope the impact was hard enough to set the trigger off, but not hard enough to bend the trigger out of place. Of course, none of these problems would help with:
3.) Depth Keeping - The Mk.14 would consistently run about 10ft deeper than set. This was because the geniuses testing the thing put a practice warhead on it that weighed much less than the actual explosive warhead. All of these problems could be compensated for eventually, even if BuOrd dug their heels and refused to make modifications to their precious babby. However, regardless of preparation, you really couldn't protect against:
4.) Circulars - The torpedoes were all installed with gyroscopes for station-keeping: when launched, they would immediately correct themselves to the set angle of attack and continue on their merry way. Some Mk.14s had a nasty problem where the gyros would never reset to a neutral angle, and the torpedoes would run a lazy circle after leaving the tube. If the sub was in motion at the time, this generally meant it would smack right back into the boat that fired it. Not a pleasant way to go.

Charles Lockwood, COMSUBPAC for the majority of the war, constantly hounded BuOrd to unfuck their torpedoes, which they constantly dragged their feet on. Highly competent sub skippers were coming home empty handed, some having to illegally tweak their torpedoes, some artificially inflating their tonnage numbers to compensate. It wasn't until September 1943 that the final iteration of the Mk.14 with a new contact trigger and fixed depth-keeping equipment that the Mk.14 became an actually decent weapon: 21 months after the Pacific War started. The lax attitude of the IJN toward anti-submarine warfare until it was far too late could potentially be attributed to the fact that the Mk.14 unfairly distorted the performance of otherwise capable submarines.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Posted in the book barn but thought I would try here as well.

sc0tty posted:

Having just watched Fury, is anyone able to recommend a good book on tank warfare. I know it was all wrong and full of Hollywood tropes but it would be good to understand what things were really like.

Anything from crew experiences to how they were used and everything in between. Preference for material focusing on WWII but doesn't need to be exclusive.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

3 posted:

Gonna add to the quote pile by quotin' myself from earlier, but in short: it was criminal how completely useless the Mk14 was and how long BuOrd tried to insist there was nothing wrong with their baby.

Yeah, I got that, I'm more wondering "can anyone think of anything more useless than it?" Recently I've spent a bit of time reading about the rifle that the Canadian Corps took to France in 1915. For boring political reasons, they used a comedy lump called a Ross instead of the Lee-Enfield, and the blokes duly rocked up at Ypres in 1915 to find they were armed with a weapon that:

Had a pathetic tin bayonet that frequently fell off the rifle if it was fired while the bayonet was fixed
Was incredibly prissy about getting dirty; the merest speck of grit, dirt or mud would cause it to jam, including dirt transferred to a spotless rifle by ammunition, because:
Had an over-complicated mechanism that took a ridiculous amount of time to clean and was very easy to reassemble the wrong way
In particular, had an action that could be taken apart and then put back together in such a way that the rifle would fire the bolt back into the shooter's face
Had a bolt that could also incapacitate itself quite easily just from the routine of being whacked into the bolt stop during rapid fire

The thing was so completely unsuited to routine service that many Canadians preferred to confiscate buckshee Lee-Enfields from British casualties, or unguarded supply-dumps. (It did retain a niche with snipers; as long as they could keep the drat thing squeaky clean, its accuracy at long range was superior to the Lee-Enfield.) Everyone from gobby privates to General Haig spent about a year yelling at the Canadian goverment to switch; it didn't happen until they sacked the minister responsible for a number of other ridiculous procurement decisions, including (I poo poo ye not) a heavy personal entrenching tool that was designed with a large hole in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trin Tragula posted:

a heavy personal entrenching tool that was designed with a large hole in it.
What kind of tool was this? I could see that almost not being retarded if it was like, a hoe or something.

• Locked thread