Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo just released a video of the Excitebike Arena DLC track for Mario Kart 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7yVvxk8Q4

It looks fun.

Edit: the position of the ramps and speed boosts change everytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

My thought process through most Zelda games is, wow, this is a fun game, I'm really having a fun time playing this game

I am actually having a lot of fun with Wind Waker, which is something that I hadn't really had with any other Zelda game. Even OoT, my first playthrough back when it came out, I ended at the water temple, and when I played it again on the 3DS, I got to the spirit temple.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo just released a video of the Excitebike Arena DLC track for Mario Kart 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7yVvxk8Q4

This is such an obvious track idea. I hope the DLC does well. I wonder if part of it is Nintendo testing the waters of a Smash Kart.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just beat windwaker last month but I want to go back and play again just for that soundtrack. two of the songs from the beginning still pop into my head almost on a daily basis

http://youtu.be/KnJiC8FeI2I?t=2m5s (the intro)

http://youtu.be/KnJiC8FeI2I?t=18m26s (grandma song)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LanceKing2200 posted:

The short version is that the ending of OoT creates 3 separate timelines:

1. The Hero defeats and seals away Ganon, but then vanishes.
2. The Hero disappears without ever beating Ganon (caused by creating a parallel timeline by going back and changing what happens at the spirit temple).
3. The boy from the forest and young Zelda convince the king of Hyrule that Ganondorf is evil, and he never comes to power.

WW takes place after No. 1, where Ganon is defeated, but that timeline no longer has a hero, so when ganon comes back one day he takes over with little resistance, and the gods decide to flood the world to put an end to his reign.

Where does the "WELLLLLLLLLLLL EX-CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS!" cartoon fit in? :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Wind Waker to this day still has one of the best soundtracks in games. It's too bad that I forgot I don't actually care for the game and dropped sixty bones on WWHD.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No one should care about the Zelda timeline and that includes Nintendo, who for the most part don't.

I even find the trend as of late of assigning significance to the green tunic pretty lame.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They have to assign significance to the green tunic because Link wears a green tunic. That's his thing.

I mean, if he wore a yellow jacket and pleated skirt instead, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be weird.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nintendo doesn't care about the Zelda timeline really, except for Skyward Sword's plot revolving around it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I like the historical insinuations they put behind the green tunic in that everybody knows that it has a special place in history, but that the meaning has more or less just fallen to myth and it's presented or worm out of tradition more than anything.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd like to think the Zelda timeline is just the same story but altered and embellished or corrupted by who tells it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

I'd like to think the Zelda timeline is just the same story but altered and embellished or corrupted by who tells it.

Mind blown.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Kudos to whoever mentioned Mario Strikers Charged a billion pages back. Found it for super cheap and its even fun in single player. Once I wrangle some friends over I have a feeling this'll make up for the Wii mario party games being awful.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kurtofan posted:

It looks fun.

Edit: the position of the ramps and speed boosts change everytime.

On the UK Nintendo YouTube channel, this gem was in the description

"Bring your bike of choice to the starting grid for the most authentic experience, but beware - the location of ramps and speed boosts change every time you race! (Except on Time Trials, of course!) "

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

oddium posted:

Nintendo doesn't care about the Zelda timeline really, except for Skyward Sword's plot revolving around it
Nah they didn't give two shits about Ezlo. They played pretty fast and loose honestly.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RyokoTK posted:

They have to assign significance to the green tunic because Link wears a green tunic. That's his thing.

I mean, if he wore a yellow jacket and pleated skirt instead, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be weird.

No no. I can assure you that if Link wore something like that then the end of the world would literally happen.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You're right, actually.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Starhawk64 posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xavier434 posted:

No no. I can assure you that if Link wore something like that then the end of the world would literally happen.

What about lobster shirts?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

This loving console is enraging me. Tonight is the first night I had to sit down and play some of the games I bought and it won't update anything or even connect to the eshop now. It was connecting fine earlier on today and deleting the connection and adding it again allegedly works according to the console.

Plus the pen drive I mentioned earlier is utterly hosed, spent two hours with various methods and utilities and it's still bricked. Thanks Nintendo!

This is the single worst experience I've have with a console in twenty years.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Chronojam posted:

What about lobster shirts?

They get HD remakes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

spudsbuckley posted:

Plus the pen drive I mentioned earlier is utterly hosed, spent two hours with various methods and utilities and it's still bricked. Thanks Nintendo!

If you're seriously going nuts with all sorts of utilities still to no avail, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the Wii U isn't the culprit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nintendo even specifically recommends against using flash drives (I'm assuming that's what a "Pen Drive" is? That's a new name for me) as external storage.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Starhawk64 posted:

I have been saying this for years. It's an oral history, if there is a direct sequel somewhere then the kids asked grandpa what happened next.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. It wasn't as good as the first one but you still reverse-spin a space colony into a space-god's face.

Wasn't the space object actually the big laser gun thing you fire in the Wonderful 101? The Shirogane Comet?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

spudsbuckley posted:

This loving console is enraging me. Tonight is the first night I had to sit down and play some of the games I bought and it won't update anything or even connect to the eshop now. It was connecting fine earlier on today and deleting the connection and adding it again allegedly works according to the console.

This is the single worst experience I've have with a console in twenty years.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/W...ces-677837.html

quote:

Flash memory devices have a limited number of rewrites and are not suited to long-term storage of important game data, so we do not recommend the use of flash memory devices as an external storage device solution. For best results, we recommend using a hard disk drive with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U via the USB port on the console.

Can't explain why you can't connect to the eShop, I never have any issues doing it. Could be a problem with your router or something. Also if you just leave the thing plugged in, it'll automatically download updates in standby mode while it is connected, so that you're not sitting there wasting time.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

It's OK guys the update for Mario Bros is downloading.

It massive, right? That's why it's going to take 6 loving hours I presume

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

You sure are having a lot of problems that very few people have, must be Nintendo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

spudsbuckley posted:

That update took me about 30 minutes iirc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Which Mario Bros game got an update? I haven't played them in a while...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The trifecta...

Also I found this post on Miiverse yesterday, I think it got deleted really quickly but I managed to grab a photo of it since I still had it loaded on my Gamepad. It had me laughing for a sold 10 seconds or so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Which Mario Bros game got an update? I haven't played them in a while...

The original. 30 years worth of updates and patches.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

This is exactly how I always thought about it. Or like how Final Fantasy is a different game each time with nods to certain things.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

The trifecta...

Also I found this post on Miiverse yesterday, I think it got deleted really quickly but I managed to grab a photo of it since I still had it loaded on my Gamepad. It had me laughing for a sold 10 seconds or so.

drat, I didn't know they sold bayonetta 1 cases.. did you pay more than $60 for both of those?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ethanol posted:

drat, I didn't know they sold bayonetta 1 cases.. did you pay more than $60 for both of those?

In Europe, you get a case for Bayonetta 1. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thinking of getting a hard drive for my Wii U. What's the recommended one? Can I partition space just for the Wii U to use and then use the rest with my Mac?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The 'tale passed down' theory is nice but what insane teenager is telling Hyrule Warriors then?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The one coked out of their mind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thinking of getting a hard drive for my Wii U. What's the recommended one? Can I partition space just for the Wii U to use and then use the rest with my Mac?

Anything with an external power supply. Some goons have had luck with Y-cables, but YMMV on that one.

As for partitioning, nope, its all or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

The 'tale passed down' theory is nice but what insane teenager is telling Hyrule Warriors then?

• Locked thread