Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Nobody ever researches HKM because it's not immediately clear which ones are which and you can buy blue 40s for vouchers in various outposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I research the low level HKMs and abilities, then usually find something while levelling (Or buy a cheap blue off the market) which lasts me till 40 when I put off the grind of ares job board missions in stronghold off for some later date.

Also, I don't see how it's not clear which ones are which. Unlike ability research, HKM research is by archetype. So researching Engineer HKMs gives you Bastion/Engineer/Electron HKM production.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

DelphiAegis posted:

Also, I don't see how it's not clear which ones are which. Unlike ability research, HKM research is by archetype. So researching Engineer HKMs gives you Bastion/Engineer/Electron HKM production.
My question was more: wtf IS a HKM and what does it do? ;)

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Nektu posted:

My question was more: wtf IS a HKM and what does it do? ;)

HKM stands for hyper kinesis module or something and it's the charge-up number 4 ability, a super-skill sorta. Each battleframe has its unique one, but all the specialty ones can also use the basic HKM. I.e. a raptor can use the overload hkm that's exclusive to the battleframe, but it can also slot the artillery strike skill the accord recon has.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Todays Firefall Live spent the vast majority of time talking about the new army UI that's in the pipes. It looks pretty good so far and looks like it'll be in sooner than the usual Soon(TM) they're famous for.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Does that mean we can have more than 100 people and we won't have to be spammed with amazing tells from Alliancebot whenever the chat server has a stupid hiccup?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
No. That's still a stretch goal for them. :(

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Oh good, they've completely nerfed all forms of doing damage, basic mobility and jet packs but at least the army interface is getting an update. Bitter? Me? Perish the thought.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hahaha, looks like they wiped the Broken Peninsula vouchers. Should have spent my 6000 vouchers while I had the chance. RIP.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So how many of the like 8 people that hung out in CTS still play this? The patch notes look like they're making the game less and less worth reinstalling every time theres an update.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm taking a long term break and going back to Planetside 2 for my MMOFPS needs for now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ralith posted:

I'm taking a long term break and going back to Planetside 2 for my MMOFPS needs for now.

Come

Tross with us

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Epic High Five posted:

Come

Tross with us
Oh believe me that's exactly what I'm doing.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Applied for Squad Two as HerrBatz.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out, so I'm playing something fun instead of this grindfest. Though I'm at the stage where Minesweeper is more appealing. I don't always agree with reviews, but the PC Gamer one for this thing is so spot on. A shame, really, but it's better to have tried and failed etc. etc. etc.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Doodles posted:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out, so I'm playing something fun instead of this grindfest. Though I'm at the stage where Minesweeper is more appealing. I don't always agree with reviews, but the PC Gamer one for this thing is so spot on. A shame, really, but it's better to have tried and failed etc. etc. etc.
Firefall not respecting your time is probably the most true statement of that review. It has so many problems with rewards just not being reasonable for time spent trying to obtain them.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Night of the Melding has been announced! (event page)

It runs from Wednesday, October 29th at 5:00pm PDT to Monday, November 10th at 5:00pm PST.

It will add two new encounters, a short (Scared Civilians) and a long (Headless Horseman Keep-Away) one. By completing two of the short encounters and one of the longer encounters each day, you will earn a "Candy Token" that you can spend for rewards.

The rewards:
  • "Melded Pumpkin" Decal
  • Spectral Warpaint
  • Pinhead Mask
  • "Ghostly Rider" Mask
  • "Headless Horseman" Pet
  • Pumpkin Candy – Consumable that applies one of several spooky effects to your character until you move.

Additionally, if you manage to complete the daily event 9 times (out of a possible 13), you will get an achievement that grants you access to a new 2-point perk (which I guarantee you will find people using during PvP). The perk basically gives you a 5-second smoke screen when your HP goes below 50%, with a 2 minute cooldown.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Edit: Nevermind. I can't bring myself to log in again.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Inimicul posted:

Edit: Nevermind. I can't bring myself to log in again.
A much better resolve than the few remaining behind, I salute you.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah I just hopped in to get my Firecat to 40. All 3 of my Assault frames are 40 but the title didn't unlock and I didn't get the achievement for it. :effort:

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Everything feels so small now that content is level-restricted. I loved the open world feel during beta but that's gone.

I tried to be really excited about this when it launched but my highest level frame is 26 or so. It takes so long. And I'm a founder who had VIP.

Oh well. Maybe I'll check it out in a year or so and see what's changed.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Got to level 24 tonight and did the Blackwater Anomaly mission and uh. Well. That was certainly a thing. :stare:

After how the first 20 levels were mostly just doing job boards and hanging out with the Dumb Ares Pilot Group, I can't say I was expecting things to escalate so much and so quickly. Huge disconnect between the general questing world and that instance

Does the game continue to get more intense? Because I can definitely see myself sticking around for more moments like that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

unimportantguy posted:

Got to level 24 tonight and did the Blackwater Anomaly mission and uh. Well. That was certainly a thing. :stare:

After how the first 20 levels were mostly just doing job boards and hanging out with the Dumb Ares Pilot Group, I can't say I was expecting things to escalate so much and so quickly. Huge disconnect between the general questing world and that instance

Does the game continue to get more intense? Because I can definitely see myself sticking around for more moments like that.

Did you not do any of the missions leading up to BWA? Some of them were pretty good too. That being said, BWA is the only instanced mission with a boss at the end. Sertao will be pretty bare. OCT fights can get interesting, but you will end up doing a lot of them. After you reach level 40, you will have the opportunity to fight two boss monsters, and a 1.5 hour long raid (which has no boss). The boss monsters are like Necronus, but without the instance leading up to it. You basically zone in and start fighting the boss. What differs is that you can only get loot from them once a week.

Both bosses are basically DPS races. The first is Baneclaw, which has you avoiding lots of attacks, avoiding hellclaws, and avoiding zone-attacks. If you take too long, he does a full-zone OHK attack and wipes the whole raid. For beating Baneclaw, you get to roll on two pieces of level 38 loot for your 20 man group. It is so pathetic that many people thing the loot tables are just broken.

The other boss is Kanaloa. The Kanaloa fight is more interesting than Baneclaw, in my opinion. As you fight, the lava in the room rises, reducing the available platforms you can stand on. His attacks are also more diverse and less "cheap" than Baneclaw. If you beat it with a group of 20 people, you can roll on 8 items. A "hardcore" mode also exists that makes the fight much tougher, but gives you an extra chance to roll on the items each week.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy
I still log in every now and then, i actually tried to solo Proving Grounds@lvl15 and got over halfway before I had to abandon and repair. I guess Ill have to be social and find a group now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Patch 1.1.1832 is out.

There have been changes to the way HP regen works. If they didn't change what was on the PTS, early levels are going to be trivial to play with a health regen core. They've also changed one of the perks to increase HP regen rates. Prepare for AFK combat.

Also, HKM gained from healing was lowered. This might end up fixing the unkillable Dragonfly issue. You used to be able to put deployment modules on healing generators and self-heal yourself enough until your HKM became available. Combined with the perk that resets ability cooldowns on HKM use, you could always be healing yourself at all times.

Electron got some love.

Broken Peninsula got some love too. You can steal resources from outposts now. Also, new outpost defense turrets have been added to gently caress players over with. Additionally, you can grab a remote spawn point from a stage 3 outpost. And the biggest change: SRT thumper capacities changed to 700 (SRT 1), 850 (SRT 2), and 1000 (SRT 3). Broken Peninsula is now the place to thump for resources, if you care about that stuff.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Health regen core is the only way I rolled my Firecat.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

It's also important to note that nothing got incredibly worse. pretty minimal changes for late game besides making OWPVP a little more worthwhile.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

precedence posted:

It's also important to note that nothing got incredibly worse.

So that makes it what, first time this year?

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
The halloween event went live last night. The headless Horsemen event doesn't work at all right now.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

precedence posted:

The halloween event went live last night. The headless Horsemen event doesn't work at all right now.

Hotfix went live last night; I've been having success.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I've done it exactly once after it went live but no luck since; only bugged events in all of New Eden when I tried two hours ago.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Firefall Live is running

They announced that Night of the Melding will be extended because of the issues with the events. The date won't be set until they fix the event.

Also, they have a new instanced dungeon on the PTS. It will be a 5 man event like BWA, with multiple bosses and a branching story.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Morglon posted:

I've done it exactly once after it went live but no luck since; only bugged events in all of New Eden when I tried two hours ago.

It looks like they made some changes to it, the ball bouncing out of the circle no longer mean instant defeat.
And if there aren't enough people around, you can actually kite him to a safe zone(before taking his head the first time) and play a nice leisurely game of catch inside.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well they hosed up something else since right now I have infinite jet energy. I've been flying around for 10 minutes just because I can, not because it's efficient or anything. Also Horseman is still dumb as gently caress and now the scared civilian events are pretty much all broken. I mean come the gently caress on, at least test this poo poo for an hour to see if it works, don't just throw it up see what sticks.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Morglon posted:

Well they hosed up something else since right now I have infinite jet energy. I've been flying around for 10 minutes just because I can, not because it's efficient or anything. Also Horseman is still dumb as gently caress and now the scared civilian events are pretty much all broken. I mean come the gently caress on, at least test this poo poo for an hour to see if it works, don't just throw it up see what sticks.

"Red 5. Having open beta since 2007 and not using any of that in release!"

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
How are scared civilian events broken? Those have always worked for me.

Also, if anybody uses the Unlocks addon, I made an improved version:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-Bc_6TpfvkMWWhrUlA1cm9VdmM

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Lots of them are stuck at n-1/n. I had to look for 15 minutes before I found one that worked.

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

I'm gay for Lipton Brisk Iced Tea
Applying to Goon2 now. recon/40 nh/24 unlocking bastion tomorrow for turret overdrive mode.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hydo posted:

Applying to Goon2 now. recon/40 nh/24 unlocking bastion tomorrow for turret overdrive mode.
Just apply to GOONS. We have over 30 slots available so I opened recruitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

I'm gay for Lipton Brisk Iced Tea
Ok, doing that now. Thanks!

edit:
poo poo, forgot my forum name in the app. I am unclebugsy.

• Locked thread