Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't even know where the nearest Walgreens is. We're all CVS here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Walgreens is already on top of it: https://twitter.com/Walgreens/status/527188206798651392 Locally I only have Walgreens, no CVS or RiteAid around here.

And MCX has an annoying large group of merchants signed on that are all big national chains. Including many places I shop at like my main grocery store.

Sorry guys you're still going to pay my AMEX swipe fees.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
When there's a CVS, Riteaid and Walgreens within a quarter mile of each other, why would you bother going to the less convenient store? I don't really understand this decision to just shut NFC off. It's going to just drive people to Walgreens because why the gently caress not? All three stores are interchangeable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Kailtor posted:

When there's a CVS, Riteaid and Walgreens within a quarter mile of each other, why would you bother going to the less convenient store? I don't really understand this decision to just shut NFC off. It's going to just drive people to Walgreens because why the gently caress not? All three stores are interchangeable.

According to the NY Times they didn't have a choice, CurrentC was going to fine the poo poo out of them if they supported Apple Pay. It wasn't a big deal when it was just a handful of NFC credit cards/Android Phones but Apple Pay has the ability to completely saturate the market before CurrentC even had a chance.

This is going to kill CVS in urban areas, like you said, they are interchangeable, often located very near each other and like many people that live and work in urban neighborhoods I'm probably at Walgreens 2+ times a week, often without a wallet on me. I mean not put them out of business or anything but it is probably going to cost them millions.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Three Olives posted:

According to the NY Times they didn't have a choice, CurrentC was going to fine the poo poo out of them if they supported Apple Pay. It wasn't a big deal when it was just a handful of NFC credit cards/Android Phones but Apple Pay has the ability to completely saturate the market before CurrentC even had a chance.

This is going to kill CVS in urban areas, like you said, they are interchangeable, often located very near each other and like many people that live and work in urban neighborhoods I'm probably at Walgreens 2+ times a week, often without a wallet on me. I mean not put them out of business or anything but it is probably going to cost them millions.

Isn't the MCX boycott of Apple Pay/NFC considered collusion, anticompetitive practices or something like that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bummey posted:

I mentioned that in my post. I checked the ifunbox website and it doesn't list compatibility with the new phones or ios8. If it does work, bingo, I'll do what I was originally planning to do.

Sorry, I missed that. Yeah, works fine on my 6+ and 8.1

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

HortonNash posted:

Isn't the MCX boycott of Apple Pay/NFC considered collusion, anticompetitive practices or something like that?

I doubt that it's anticompetitve since you aren't actually prevented from using your cards as normal. But you know the merchants who signed up for it are counting down the days until their exclusivity agreement ends so that can at least accept both, if not drop MCX entirely.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

HortonNash posted:

Doubtful, I mean they are free not to accept any method of payment that they don't want to and it's not like there is a monopoly forcing consumers on to MCX, you could simply pay like you did before Apple Pay. For consumers though, gently caress CVS, they are already price competitive with Walgreens and I don't want to carry my wallet if I don't have to.

nickutz posted:

I doubt that it's anticompetitve since you aren't actually prevented from using your cards as normal. But you know the merchants who signed up for it are counting down the days until their exclusivity agreement ends so that can at least accept both, if not drop MCX entirely.

It depends on the retailer but CVS is in the omnipresent commodity business, it's business suicide not to accept a payment method that consumers find much more convenient when your direct competitor does and they are right down the block from all of your high revenue stores.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 29, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

What happens in less than a year when all (or at least certain) retailers are required by law to accept chip and pin or whatever the gently caress those wave style transactions are called?

The whole MCX thing is hilarious and is going to fail so horribly it'll be fun to watch. Why would retailers possibly sign such a lopsided contract for something that's so obviously convoluted and inferior?

Oh well, we get to sit and laugh at least.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kailtor posted:

I've traditionally gone to CVS but they're pretty much next to each other here so I'll go to Walgreen's until CVS caves.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The whole MCX thing is hilarious and is going to fail so horribly it'll be fun to watch. Why would retailers possibly sign such a lopsided contract for something that's so obviously convoluted and inferior?

Probably because it didn't look like the banks/carriers/phone manufactures were interested in doing anything consumer friendly with mobile payments and they didn't anticipate that someone like Apple would have the clout to get them to all fall in line. It was absolutely shortsighted but it probably didn't seem like such a bad deal when they were thinking it was going to be another clumsy dumb app that they were blocking out instead of the most powerful tech company in the world getting every one on something basically simple and off the-shelf.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Three Olives posted:

It depends on the retailer but CVS is in the omnipresent commodity business, it's business suicide not to accept a payment method that consumers find much more convenient when your direct competitor does and they are right down the block from all of your high revenue stores.

Sure, it's similar to why almost all major retailers accept American Express and pay their higher swipe fees: because AMEX cardholders are generally higher revenue customers.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I can't understand how someone would go to CVS if there was a Walgreens equally close. Fully carpeted stores are loving gross. It's one step above carpeted bathrooms.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MCX isn't actually such a bad idea, the merchants would be able to save the swipe fees and use the better data to negotiate deals with manufactures to pass on significant savings onto consumers, the issue is CurrentC isn't anywhere close to ready for wide deployment and doesn't work as well as Apple Pay which is ready to go and merchants are ready to support.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

MCX isn't actually such a bad idea, the merchants would be able to save the swipe fees and use the better data to negotiate deals with manufactures to pass on significant savings onto consumers, the issue is CurrentC isn't anywhere close to ready for wide deployment and doesn't work as well as Apple Pay which is ready to go and merchants are ready to support.
Nah have you read up on how it works? It's really bad.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nah have you read up on how it works? It's really bad.

The theory is good though, basically you could aggregate broad consumer data and payment together easily, then categorize users and push deals. Then CVS could go to say P&G and say we have X number of customers that shop at our stores at least twice a week, we know that they regularly buy products for a small dog, but rarely dog food, what would you give us to push a coupon to them for your dog food? In theory it works for everyone, consumers save money CVS potentially gains a regular dog food customer and P&G potentially sells more dog food.

In theory. In practice they just have a lovely app that can't be used anywhere while Apple wants to do the same thing and has something already working that is largely off the shelf.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 29, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Three Olives posted:

The theory is good though, basically you could aggregate broad consumer data and payment together easily, then categorize users and push deals. Then CVS could go to say P&G and say we have X number of customers that shop at our stores at least twice a week, we know that they regularly buy products for a small dog, but rarely dog food, what would you give us to push a coupon to them for your dog food? In theory it works for everyone, consumers save money CVS potentially gains a regular dog food customer and P&G potentially sells more dog food.

In theory. In practice they just have a lovely app that can't be used anywhere while Apple wants to do the same thing and has something already working that is largely off the shelf.

Lol, nah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Not even in theory. Merchants in general have a horrible track record of keeping information they really shouldn't be keeping along with falling far short of best practices Info Sec wise. With the additional information they require that they swear they won't store, just completely turns me off using it ever. They *require* your DL or State ID number and your SSN to validate your identity every time you set up account information with their system. Add on that all fraud responsibility is shifted to the consumer and you have a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

The whole CurrentC is poorly conceived, designed and executed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How much would it cost to get out of a contract like that (CVS and MCX)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

How much would it cost to get out of a contract like that (CVS and MCX)?

I thought I read that most of those expire sometime mid-next year. That plus Apple Pay is why I think there appears to be such a scramble to get it off the ground.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apple pay doesn't mean you don't need to carry a wallet any more you goons.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

Apple pay doesn't mean you don't need to carry a wallet any more you goons.

It does.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you only go to places that have NFC terminals.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
And don't need a drivers license/state issued ID

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Or to carry condoms.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rear end Catchcum posted:

Or to carry condoms.
Walgreens sells condoms. Use Apple Pay at Walgreens to pay for condoms. Problem solved.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What happens in less than a year when all (or at least certain) retailers are required by law to accept chip and pin or whatever the gently caress those wave style transactions are called?
From what I've been loosely following, it's not technically required...but without them the fraud liability shifts to the retailer, so realistically they'll still have to move to them anyway. But hey with CurrentC the liability shifts to the consumer so they'll be in the clear :downs:.

The Apple guy in the payments thread he made mentioned they'll probably go to that stuff eventually. If that's the case I figure it'll just make it easier to accept Apple Pay whenever the exclusivity agreement runs out, unless MCX makes them buy some dumb rear end hardware that locks out standard stuff.

flosofl posted:

I thought I read that most of those expire sometime mid-next year. That plus Apple Pay is why I think there appears to be such a scramble to get it off the ground.
TechCrunch had this: http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

quote:

In January 2013, Fierce Retail reported MCX had been asking retailers in 2012 to pay a big upfront fee from $250,000 to $500,000 to get on board, and sign three-year mobile payment app exclusivity deals with MCX. Retailers who signed up may have had a one-year grace period from the start of their exclusivity contract to bail out of the deal. If Apple Pay gains steam early, some retailers might look to take advantage of this option to ditch MCX. However, if deals were signed in 2012, that grace period is long gone but retailers may be coming up on the end of their exclusivity agreements even though CurrentC hasn’t launched yet,
If they're worried about fines right now I'm guessing the latter case is true, in which case some time in 2015 would (hopefully) be the end of the original agreement.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The only people CurrentC is good for are the merchants. It lets them avoid credit card transaction fees (that they've already accounted for in their pricing), and lets them aggregate data on purchases like a loyalty card. Aside from the remote possibility of having coupons pushed, it's much worse for the consumer than any other option, between it being a separate app you have to open, scanning QR codes (lol) with the security risks that enables (they can have code embedded), shifting of fraud liability to the consumer, loss of credit card rewards, and having to give your bank account info, driver's license number, and SSN to people with a terrible track record at security.

Of course none of this should be surprising given that the entire reason CurrentC exists is because Walmart hates hates HATES CC fees, and wants to stick it to the CC companies. Per their former CEO:

quote:

I don’t know that MCX will succeed, and I don’t care. As long as Visa suffers.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

From what someone was telling me, CurrentC was basically a bluff to get transaction fees lowered, and as the banks didn't budge they eventually had to show their hand and build a real product and were not competent to do so at all.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Schpyder posted:

The only people CurrentC is good for are the merchants. It lets them avoid credit card transaction fees (that they've already accounted for in their pricing), and lets them aggregate data on purchases like a loyalty card.

Don't forget that it also gathers health information.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm locked to CVS since my, otherwise excellent, insurance uses CVS Caremark for prescriptions. I've not actually been given one in a few years though.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

the kawaiiest posted:

Don't forget that it also gathers health information.

Yeah, everything about CurrentC seems to be about getting as much of your information as possible to the retailer, whereas Apply Pay is built on the idea of sending as little information as possible. Pretty easy to see which is best for consumers, hopefully CurrentC bombs but it has a lot of clout pushing it, ugh.

Apple and Google should team up for an ad campaign pushing their NFC payment systems (this will never happen).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just got a new iPhone 6 thats on iOS 8, and was unable to restore from my 8.1 iPhone 4s backup - bit annoying so ive set it up as a new phone, doing the update, then will reset and restore from backup - is that the best way to have done it?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to wirelessly copy videos to the iPhone and use multiple video players to play them?

For example, I think I want to add the videos to the built-in video library and then use Infuse, Nplayer, or any other app to play it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

Is it possible to wirelessly copy videos to the iPhone and use multiple video players to play them?

For example, I think I want to add the videos to the built-in video library and then use Infuse, Nplayer, or any other app to play it.

Yeah, you can use AirDrop from a Yosemite Mac, the video gets added to your camera roll and then you just open in... Or from a compatible app.

You can also do this with Dropbox or google drive from apps that support this.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sextro posted:

I'm locked to CVS since my, otherwise excellent, insurance uses CVS Caremark for prescriptions. I've not actually been given one in a few years though.

For long-term 90-day meds yes, but if it's like my Caremark plan you can use it at other pharmacies for 30-day or less scripts.

And now I'm talking about Apple Pay fallout issues in the iPhone thread again which SWSP asked us not to. Did someone say there was an Apple Pay thread set up by the guy working on it where this might be more appropriate?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
They set up a thread in Ask/Tell about Apple pay.

Apple Pay thread in Ask/Tell

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Just got a new iPhone 6 thats on iOS 8, and was unable to restore from my 8.1 iPhone 4s backup - bit annoying so ive set it up as a new phone, doing the update, then will reset and restore from backup - is that the best way to have done it?

That's how I setup my new iPad mini, seems like the best way.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can some of you try to edit the order of a playlist of songs in the music app and see if it spazzes out? Mine has been doing this since iOS 7 but I haven't heard much about the issue. If I try to edit a playlist the songs I add won't stay. If I try to change the play order songs will duplicate, disappear, etc. and the edits won't take effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Custom keyboards are driving me mad!
SwiftKey has fantastic word recognition when swiping, but no quick access to emoji.
TouchPal has quick access to emoji and a cool way to quickly insert numbers and punctuation (swipe up on the top row for numbers, Q=1, W=2, etc - swipe down on bottom row for punction, B=!, N=?, etc.), but has horrible word recognition.
As far as I can see, Swype has the same issue as SwiftKey.

Is there a custom keyboard with great word recognition that also lets me quickly jump to emoji or punctuation that also doesn't look like an ugly custom Android job (the more like stock iOS the better)? I'd happily pay!

edit:

Coredump posted:

Can some of you try to edit the order of a playlist of songs in the music app and see if it spazzes out? Mine has been doing this since iOS 7 but I haven't heard much about the issue. If I try to edit a playlist the songs I add won't stay. If I try to change the play order songs will duplicate, disappear, etc. and the edits won't take effect.
Worked fine for me on iOS 8.1, iPhone 6. Admittedly it was on a very small playlist since most of my playlists are Smart playlists and I just shuffle them anyway - are you doing it on absolutely huge ones?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 29, 2014