Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Also the ritual guarantees premature death, usually makes you infertile, and saddles you with nightmarish visions of Darkspawn for the rest of your life. Also it's a form of blood magic, one of the highest moral sins in most Thedasian ethical systems. The Wardens have to lie and build up an image and cloak the truth in secrecy, or they wouldn't just have a lack of recruits, they'd be ridden out of most Chantry-dominated countries on a rail.

Then laugh as said countries die to darkspawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

wjs5 posted:

Then laugh as said countries die to darkspawn.

Yeah, we were talking about Bhelen dragging the dwarves into cultural reforms kicking and screaming in the name of staving off their complete annihilation; something very similar would happen if they didn't let Grey Wardens do their thang.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lotish posted:

Yeah, we were talking about Bhelen dragging the dwarves into cultural reforms kicking and screaming in the name of staving off their complete annihilation; something very similar would happen if they didn't let Grey Wardens do their thang.

And humans in Thedas absolutely would merrily destroy themselves if they found out the truth behind the Grey Wardens. Heck, I always ignore that quest to get the Mage Circle talking with the dwarf girl because the epilogue says the Chantry is gearing up for an exalted march on Orzammar, which just can't end well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Yeah we have to do all that... in order to make sure the Archdemon stays dead. Cause otherwise the fucker just respawns over and over. So yeah, it sucks, but it's better than the Extinction Of All Life!"

I guess this will mean less Grey Wardens during not-Blights, which I hardly see as a problem. Oh dang we can't pointlessly subject people to a slow-burning poison to give you mildly useful Darkspawn detecting powers "just in case" anymore cause the Chantry found out what we do. Oh nooooo

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Walrus Pete posted:

To a Grey Warden? It shouldn't. Their job starts and ends with the darkspawn. Getting involved in politics - attempting to overthrow a tyrannical king, even - is what got the Wardens kicked out of Ferelden for generations. If Cailan's dad hadn't let them back in, Ferelden would've been completely destroyed by the blight and who knows how far it would've spread from there. Better to let a maniac sit on the throne than risk losing the only way to end the blight. You go after Loghain because he thinks the Wardens are full of poo poo and won't commit to fighting the darkspawn, not because he made a power-grab.

Except the Anderfell or whatever Warden HQ they are heavily into politics and local rule, per your secretary in Awakenings. They are super interested that the Warden Comander is now a landowner in Ferelden and what that could mean for increase in Warden scope.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I dunno, Grey Wardens really seem to blow at everything except perma-killing the archdemon, and there's possibly a dog loophole there.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

It's a bit dense to assume Thedas would just die to Blights, they aren't that stupid. I think the Wardens would become more like the Night's Watch (a punishment) than being driven or wiped out. They'd no longer be warrior-scholars trying to understand the enemy they face.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I guess this will mean less Grey Wardens during not-Blights, which I hardly see as a problem. Oh dang we can't pointlessly subject people to a slow-burning poison to give you mildly useful Darkspawn detecting powers "just in case" anymore cause the Chantry found out what we do. Oh nooooo

In the lore, Grey Wardens are basically super soldiers that are worth entire platoons of normal people.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

"Yeah we have to do all that... in order to make sure the Archdemon stays dead. Cause otherwise the fucker just respawns over and over. So yeah, it sucks, but it's better than the Extinction Of All Life!"

You do remember that Blights aren't exactly on any schedule, right? The last came 400 years before Origins, long enough for most people to basically write the darkspawn off as near myths. There is no real way of knowing when or where one will start, just that when it does, all hell will break loose and the Warden's sensing only works via proximity. If they didn't have a standing force of veterans around Thedas, they'd be caught with their armored pants down when the Archdemon shows itself. Building armies, especially ones of extremely capable people willing and able to subject themselves to certain death (one way or another, all Wardens will die painfully), takes time. Any time that people aren't fighting the darkspawn is time that they'll take to gain a foothold and kill everything around them.

The Wardens' secrecy may or may not be completely necessary, but they could really take any advantage they could get given that they exist solely to prevent the apocalypse that's been brewing underfoot for over a millennium.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

It's a bit dense to assume Thedas would just die to Blights, they aren't that stupid. I think the Wardens would become more like the Night's Watch (a punishment) than being driven or wiped out. They'd no longer be warrior-scholars trying to understand the enemy they face.

Which would be bad because now, instead of collecting the best and brightest, they're stuck with whatever dregs people toss their way and lack clout that they used to enjoy since they're basically a prison work detail.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cythereal posted:

And humans in Thedas absolutely would merrily destroy themselves if they found out the truth behind the Grey Wardens. Heck, I always ignore that quest to get the Mage Circle talking with the dwarf girl because the epilogue says the Chantry is gearing up for an exalted march on Orzammar, which just can't end well.

That's in response to poo poo to do with starting a Chantry in Orzammar, not bringing whatshername to study with the Circle, I'm pretty sure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nevermind. I was wrong.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 29, 2014

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, there was a sidequest to help a guy get a chantry built in Orzammar. It went poorly in the epilogue.

e: Welp

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nope, nevermind. I double-checked and I had misread. You're right.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There are two quests. One to help built the Chantry there and it doesn't end well because no one gives a poo poo. Then there's the dwarf girl fascinated with magic which brings about a whole lot of trouble with it. I tend to ignore the former and do the later because anything to piss off the Chantry was the name of my game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the deluxe version of this game is worth ten dollars more.

At least they're getting it right with regards to bonus fiddly bits you don't really need.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Here is the Achievement List. Spoilers ahead, time to go on media black out if you care about that sort of thing.

Not getting into spoilers, but it's got no multiplayer achievements. Always a smart move in my book.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I don't think the deluxe version of this game is worth ten dollars more.

At least they're getting it right with regards to bonus fiddly bits you don't really need.

It is definitely not worth ten dollars more, they haven't even specified what the bonus quest is supposed to be yet.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if I can live without this thread. I gotta hope spoiler tags are used appropriately :ohdear:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

paragon1 posted:

It is definitely not worth ten dollars more, they haven't even specified what the bonus quest is supposed to be yet.

Until it's Shale 2.0 and you lose out on a party member because :10bux:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Until it's Shale 2.0 and you lose out on a party member because :10bux:

Shale 3.0, actually. 2.0 was Javik.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

They've already said there will be no DLC companions this time around for the main campaign. At most we might see a temporary companion that's limited to the story of a DLC.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

and horse armour

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

KoB posted:

In the lore, Grey Wardens are basically super soldiers that are worth entire platoons of normal people.

There is one benefit in slowly becoming a darkspawn and that's having all the destructive power of one. Well that and the legal ability to force your fate onto others "for the greater good" depending on if the country your doing this in respects this likely very sketchy international law.

Finally got access to the actual Beta and The Tapestry is nice when it works. Other than Varric's weird way of saying Alistair, the only thing it needs is the ability to select which part of the interactive story you want to hear so you don't have to go through THE WHOLE BEGINNING OF ORIGINS again because it bugged around Orzammar.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

I bought the digital deluxe before they announced the "tba" dlc, which ended up being a multiplayer booster pack thing. So for 10 dollars you get a special throne, some mounts, armor and weapons, a soundtrack, and a mp boost. I didn't think they would do real dlc because of the whole 6 month or 1 year xbox exclusive thing they got going.

quote:

Loghain Mac Tir and the Darkspawn chat

My dwarf noble kept Loghain around to have him hunt down darkspawn until either taint madness takes him or the darkspawn do. The mentioned before constant nightmares of the old gods along with the spideysense for darkspawn makes it a good punishment over a quick execution. Besides, it's Simon Templeton. I love that guy and I only seen him in two things. Nina's boyfriend on Just Shoot Me and the alien commander in Neighbors. So any excuse to hear more of him is a-ok in my book.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Crabtree posted:

There is one benefit in slowly becoming a darkspawn and that's having all the destructive power of one. Well that and the legal ability to force your fate onto others "for the greater good" depending on if the country your doing this in respects this likely very sketchy international law.

I thought the only thing changed about Grey Wardens were that they could sense Darkspawn (and be sensed back) and get really hungry.The destructive power of Darkspawn comes in if you drink the Alchemical Concoction to get the Power of Blood (and let Avernus continue his research so all Grey Wardens can possibly have that) in Soldier's Peak.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SgtSteel91 posted:

I thought the only thing changed about Grey Wardens were that they could sense Darkspawn (and be sensed back) and get really hungry.The destructive power of Darkspawn comes in if you drink the Alchemical Concoction to get the Power of Blood (and let Avernus continue his research so all Grey Wardens can possibly have that) in Soldier's Peak.

It's kinda only broadly broached, but something about them does tend to be better than normal people. It's only really talked about in side material and some logs, but they tend to like, heal faster and are a little stronger than the norm. Add to that the fact that only the best of the best make it in, and they're able to fight off odds single handidly that entire squads would fall at.

And I think it's basically been dropped in everything past DA:O.

You can see some mention of how super-badass the Wardens are in the Dwarven Noble origin, where it talks about how one of them cast match entire squads of the best of the Warrior Caste, and that small groups of them take on more darkspawn than full regiments would be willing to combat, and do so successfully.

Whether this is because they're super well trained (since what else is there to do when you've got 400 years between active duty time) or just better due to magic isn't talked about. Could be either one.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Cleatcleat posted:

So for 10 dollars you get a special throne, some mounts, armor and weapons, a soundtrack, and a mp boost.

Sweet, now I can blow off the deluxe version and not feel like I'm missing anything important.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Walrus Pete posted:

Unless you're Alistair or a human noble, then it's pretty personal.

It's not personal for other wardens?

Loghain tries to get you killed the day after meeting him.
Then he tries to frame you for his plot.
Declares you a kill on sight traitor to the state.
Sends assassins and soldiers after you.
Tortures you(and potentially your good friend or love interest.)
And (potentially) personally tries to personally kill you himself.

Oh and if you're a city elf, he's probably selling people you actually know into slavery.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Oh and if you're a city elf, he's probably selling people you actually know into slavery.

You're really hung up on this whole slavery thing.

At least they get some nice bracelets and stuff, you know?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

You're really hung up on this whole slavery thing.

At least they get some nice bracelets and stuff, you know?

Yeah, at least they're doing something useful and not sitting around soaking up Fereldan welfare money.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CitrusFrog posted:

Yeah, at least they're doing something useful and not sitting around soaking up Fereldan welfare money.

Which is why my city elf lets the 1% in Amaranthine burn in Awakening. The only thing they ever did for the sake of others was die to darkspawn and Wardens.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Fenris was way happier when he was a slave.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So how hard is DA:O on nightmare anyways.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Fenris was way happier when he was a slave.

"Fenris, do sing us some soulful songs of your people. I oh so like hearing them."
*glows angrily"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Apparently Xbox One preorder folks can predownload the game already.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - holy poo poo! Well, I'm sure there's a lot of art and sound assets that are completely fine to download, so not that big a deal.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

It's not.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Caveat, don't forget about friendly fire. That's not a thing that many modern RPG's make you deal with.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

It's very doable, but DA2 on Nightmare is like getting punched in the balls repeatedly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NeurosisHead posted:

Caveat, don't forget about friendly fire. That's not a thing that many modern RPG's make you deal with.
FF is there starting on Normal, I think.
Who cares about friendly fire when you have mass paralyze? :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Drifter posted:

FF is there starting on Normal, I think.

Only on PC.

• Locked thread