Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

grilldos posted:

So syncing music to a Wear device rather than a phone is for the very specific use case of when you want to use a Bluetooth headphone connected directly to your watch and leave your phone at home?
Pretty much. I doubt many people will use it but its nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I got my 360 yesterday and am pretty happy with it so far.

In order to customize watch faces, you need Moto Connect on your phone, which I do. I've been using it with my VZW Droid Maxx to text from my computer.

I can't for the life of me find how to add an additional device (the watch) to Moto Connect. Any suggestions?

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 24, 2014

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

JoeMB posted:

Pretty much. I doubt many people will use it but its nice to have.

It's for running. Leave your phone at home and take your GPS and music with you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I got my 360 yesterday and am pretty happy with it so far.

In order to customize watch faces, you need Moto Connect on your phone, which I do. I've been using it with my VZW Droid Maxx to text from my computer.

I can't for the life of me find how to add an additional device (the watch) to Moto Connect. Any suggestions?

The big + icon right on the top bar on the left not doing it?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

bull3964 posted:

The big + icon right on the top bar on the left not doing it?

Bingo. Just needed to update the app. Thought I had it set to auto update.

Thank you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: already went back to stock band since this was too thin/shiny. Good thing I know a jewellery store employee.

Put a metal band on the GWR

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 25, 2014

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Tunga posted:

Yes, absolutely. I love my Moto 360 and wouldn't swap it for any other Wear device currently on the market but the lag that sometimes occurs when it first turns on is disgusting and obvious to anyone with eyes. I'm not even comparing it to other watches, it is just objectively bad in and of itself.

The watch lights up, you drag the notification up or right, and it lags and jerks as it moves across the screen.

It doesn't happen every time, and after a couple of seconds it's usually fine. I wonder if it could be improved by having the CPU-clock speed ramp up faster on wake via a kernel tweak but it's probably just the lovely CPU that they used.

Edit: On an unrelated note, the biggest problem I have with Wear right now is that it is too quick to decide if you are dragging up/down or left/right and you are then locked to that axis. A bunch of my "go back" swipes are completely ignored because my finger moved up or down a tiny bit first and the watch decided I was trying to swipe through cards that don't exist and promptly ignores the rest of my gesture.

Alright, after reading your message I sat here playing with my notifications, and I kinda see what your saying. I guess, in my opinion anyway, is it seems so minimal that it's not a huge deal. This is obviously something that is going to be different from person to person. Early adopter issues or whatever. I still love it as well.

Three Olives posted:

There are two issues, it's less power efficient and TI has basically discontinued support, it was a stupid, stupid design decision. I'd be fine with a slower processor if it meant better battery life but there is no good reason to put a barely supported slow power hungry processor.

The no support thing doesn't seem to be stopping them from updating the software on the watch (as of yet, anyway) so there is that. I find that I can easily make it through a whole day with ambient mode on, are people looking to have it go longer than that? Maybe my usage is very different from others. I just treat it like my phone and charge it every night.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, I meant standalone GPS and heart rate monitoring this way I can leave the phone at home to go for a jog. It seems like a moto 360 or LG watch R with GPS and better battery life is what I'm looking for.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lostleaf posted:

Yeah, I meant standalone GPS and heart rate monitoring this way I can leave the phone at home to go for a jog. It seems like a moto 360 or LG watch R with GPS and better battery life is what I'm looking for.

The Sony Smart Watch 3 (just released on US Play store) has standalone GPS and pretty good specs otherwise but its looks are divisive.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

The Sony Smart Watch 3 (just released on US Play store) has standalone GPS and pretty good specs otherwise but its looks are divisive.

I actually dont mind the look of the sony watch but it doesnt have wireless charging or heart rate monitor. Especially with the crappy battery life, the wireless charging is a must.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

G Watch R video review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xQgFBM2kI

Looks ridiculously huge on him. Not so bad on your average whitey

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

G Watch R video review

I have never seen a goatee wrap so closely around somebody's lips before.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reverse Centaur posted:

G Watch R video review

It's infuriating watching him swipe around constantly without him ever swiping down notifications.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I experimented with ambient mode on with my 360 this weekend.

On Friday, I decided to turn it on around 11am just to see what would happen. I had been off the charger since about 9 am and it was only charged to 86% when I took it off the charger because I had forgotten to charge it the night before and didn't put it on the charger first thing when I got up like I usually do.

When I got home at 2:40 am, I had 1% charge left. So, about 14 1/2 hours off charge (though, only 86% as a starting point) with 12 or so of those hours being with ambient on.

Granted once it dipped below 15% it turned ambient off automatically, but it seems like I could easily go a "normal" day with ambient on and have plenty of charge left by the end of the day. Not as good as something with OLED or snapdragon to be sure, but completely acceptable to me since it takes less than an hour to top off the battery.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine is always on ambient mode, I'm a pretty light user, mostly just notifications, but I get about 16-18 hours out of it which is plenty.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't think I've seen my g watch r drop below 60% yet and I wear it from 8am to 10pm most days. After 3.5 hours today it's at 94%.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's great and all, but I feel like this conversation is similar to the gently caress-off huge phone battery one: if it lasts a day of good use, who cares what percentage it's at when you put it on the charger, as long as it's still running? People are used to charging their [device] daily, so anything that doesn't break that routine is fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Reverse Centaur posted:

I don't think I've seen my g watch r drop below 60% yet and I wear it from 8am to 10pm most days. After 3.5 hours today it's at 94%.

So you paid for ~60% larger battery than you need!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

So you paid for ~60% larger battery than you need!

Oh god, can't wait until someone on reddit says that seriously.

hooah posted:

That's great and all, but I feel like this conversation is similar to the gently caress-off huge phone battery one: if it lasts a day of good use, who cares what percentage it's at when you put it on the charger, as long as it's still running? People are used to charging their [device] daily, so anything that doesn't break that routine is fine.

Agreed, but I have to baby my 360 to not worry about battery. It's almost good enough after all the updates, but not quite.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just ordered one of these to use while traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically, it could charge my 360 10 times over and it's the right size that I'm probably just going to be able to secure it to the charger with the strap (but likely just use a velcro or rubber band.)

Sure, it would be great if the thing had the battery life to the point where I could rely on it lasting two days out of a charge for some edge cases, but I don't expect to have to use that charger much either. With such a tiny battery, it charges so drat quick that it's really easy to give it an extra boost if necessary.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 27, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Reverse Centaur posted:

Agreed, but I have to baby my 360 to not worry about battery. It's almost good enough after all the updates, but not quite.

The problem is that the battery in that Moto360 will only have half of it's life in a year. So a 16hour battery will be only 8 hours once the battery has some time on it. The battery is not replaceable either. It's a lot of money for a watch that will only last maybe two years before it's completely useless. I know the lifespan on consumer electronics are pretty short, but really for $250 you can get a regular watch that last you forever.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The problem is that the battery in that Moto360 will only have half of it's life in a year.

What are you basing this on? Phone batteries don't deteriorate THAT quickly. Did they use an inferior battery here?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really sure I agree with that. Batteries are a lot better about their lifespan than they used to be. You aren't looking at the 50% range until you are well into 1200 to 1500 charge cycles so even if you depleted it to 0% every day, you are still looking at over 3 years before the battery life is halved. However, I usually end the day with ~50% life left, so it would be over 6 years before I would have to worry about it.

Compared to a watch, it's a shorter lifespan, but $250 every 5 years is pocket change when compared to smartphones and such.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I just ordered one of these to use while traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically, it could charge my 360 10 times over

Less than that - Qi drops your efficiency by about 30%, according to this. Makes it seem like a bad thing on a power bank. (Yeah, 7 charges is still plenty for a watch, but it'd be wasteful for a phone.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can still charge a phone conventionally from it, so it's not really that big of a deal.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is it just me or is the voice recognition (text in particular) on the 360 not quite as good as on, say, my Droid MAXX, or am I doing it wrong?

On a lighter note, my facial recognition unlock doesn't recognize me when I'm sober.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is it just me or is the voice recognition (text in particular) on the 360 not quite as good as on, say, my Droid MAXX, or am I doing it wrong?

On a lighter note, my facial recognition unlock doesn't recognize me when I'm sober.

For some reason the first few days I tried voice recognition it sucked.

Now I can send texts or set alarms for my break and not even look to see if it did it right.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Manky posted:

Less than that - Qi drops your efficiency by about 30%, according to this. Makes it seem like a bad thing on a power bank. (Yeah, 7 charges is still plenty for a watch, but it'd be wasteful for a phone.)

Not having to carry around wires is nice

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Moto 360 mic is definitely worse than the other two Android Wear watches I've owned.

Although today I told my wife "I'm coming" and my G Watch R decided to spell it "cumming" instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I dunno, I'm actually able to whisper to my 360 under some pretty noisy circumstances and it tracks me perfectly.

I mean, I just mumbled 'OK Google' with the TV at full volume and it picked up and recognized right away.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Although today I told my wife "I'm coming" and my G Watch R decided to spell it "cumming" instead.
Obviously pulling it from the saved dictionary terms on your phone. An intimate glimpse into your life :newlol:

Sorry if I've missed this, but what was the price for the GwR? I see some for $329 shipped from Asia. I figure if they are $249 in the US, tax will peg it within $50 of the eBay price (of which, I have $29 in eBay bucks, so looking at $11 more to get it now).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Okay that Fitbit surge has me intrigued

This is very exciting:

http://blog.fitbit.com/fitbit-charge-charge-hr-surge-welcome-to-a-whole-new-world-of-fitness/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

hotsauce posted:

Obviously pulling it from the saved dictionary terms on your phone. An intimate glimpse into your life :newlol:

Sorry if I've missed this, but what was the price for the GwR? I see some for $329 shipped from Asia. I figure if they are $249 in the US, tax will peg it within $50 of the eBay price (of which, I have $29 in eBay bucks, so looking at $11 more to get it now).

I'm married, the only person who knows about me cumming is redtube.com.

$329 US was about what I paid. No brainer as a Canadian (we still don't have 360, who knows when anything else will get released) and Fedex forgot to charge ~$25 in customs. Oopsy!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not having to carry around wires is nice

But you're already carrying around a power bank. Some, I believe, even have cords built in. My Anker bank came with a little bag and coil cord, it'd be silly not to keep them together.

e: I'm not and wasn't trying to say Qi is bad, just people should be aware that they won't get the mah on the box if they use the gimmick.

Manky fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 29, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

I was hugely disappointed, not enough functionality for a smart watch replacement in any of the devices, limited water resistance (Can't shower in them) large size, non-replaceable wristbands, basically a huge step down from the Flex as a everyday wear device, extremely limited functions as a smart watch along with a high price. I wear my Flex with my Pebble or G Watch but I wouldn't wear any of these instead of a more mature smart watch.

The nice thing about the Flex is I don't even think about it, sleep in it, shower in it, charge it like once a week.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Why would you shower with anything on you? That's so weird.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Meh, it's too little, a year too late. Given they've said they don't plan on syncing data into HealthKit (and presumably not to Google Fit either), it kills a lot of the draw in buying this.

I really liked the Fitbit Force, notwithstanding the ugly rash it gave me. But at this point I'm not going to buy one again. I'd rather have a smartwatch that puts data into a platform like HealthKit that other apps can draw from and write into. I noticed the Panera Bread app for iOS lets you order your lunch online and then have the calorie counts written straight into HealthKit. It's cool to see cool uses for HealthKit shaping together, and and it sucks that Fitbit is deciding to go it alone.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
To my knowledge this is the only wearable on the market that does continous HRM, GPS and can be taken out for a run without a smartphone in tow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have an anecdotal story about the 360 battery life. I took my 360 off the charger at 5:30am yesterday before work and as of this post it's at 22%. So it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I had to charge my drat phone three times yesterday for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Behold the Microsoft wearable:

With the same idiotic screen as the Gear Fit, is there anyone on earth that can comfortably hold their hand to make a screen like that usable in landscape? Jesus.