Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerusalem posted:

Reasonable? Yeah sure. But the strength of that scene before they explicitly showed it was that it was up to each individual viewer to imagine what it could have been and that gave it a universal strength that no reveal could ever hope to match.

I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry.

2spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How is that goofy nonsense not worse than anything RTD did? Good Lord.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry.

I suppose this is probably good preparation for whatever fresh horrors Moffat has for in the finale.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Yes, that's stupid and bad, but have you also considered that

1. It's hilarious

2. There is no 2

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

2. There is no 2

No, there's definitely a number 2 all right.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I actually really liked A Good Man Goes To War aside from the last few minutes. I don't really mind River being Amy and Rory's kid, I just hated the attitude of "let's skip over all the interesting and complicated characterization we'd otherwise have to do involving a grieving couple who's had their child stolen from them and jump straight into the interesting bits", especially when the interesting bits weren't that interesting. (Loved the miniature giant robot spaceship though, when I could see it through all the :siren:THIS IS HOW THE DOCTOR IS GOING TO SURVIVE HIS INEVITABLE DEATH:siren: signs.)

I'm living in hope that the finale answers the important questions about Missy's identity: Why should I care and, no seriously, why should I care?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thunderfinger posted:

No, there's definitely a number 2 all right.

Indeed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Well Manicured Man posted:

Yes, that's stupid and bad, but have you also considered that

1. It's hilarious

2. There is no 2

I agree, I laughed my head off at that.

I do like a few things about that episode:the gradual reveal that the Doctor and Churchill have been fighting a horde of Silence while chatting (though I think the "one tally mark on the arm, phew it's fine, look at other arm and it's covered in tally marks" thing had already been done), Dorium is good, and I love the reveal of how the Doctor survived: "actually, thinking about it..."

I didn't like two main things:
The Doctor marries River for no reason. Or possibly because it's a way to make her do what he wants. Neither interpretation is good.

Also, the Silence wanted to kill the Doctor but made no effort to lure him to the place they needed him to be at the time they needed him to be there. The Doctor only knew about Lake Silencio because he was actively investigating the plot against him. I can't imagine a sloppier assassination plan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I still get a kick out of the fact that the majority of The Wedding of River Song is the Doctor having already solved the problem and having to deal with the complications that have arisen from his idiot friends trying to help and just constantly making things worse. :allears:

The episode fell apart in execution, but I still love it for that, and the setting. Condense the plot into about a paragraph and it's fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

docbeard posted:

I actually really liked A Good Man Goes To War aside from the last few minutes. I don't really mind River being Amy and Rory's kid, I just hated the attitude of "let's skip over all the interesting and complicated characterization we'd otherwise have to do involving a grieving couple who's had their child stolen from them and jump straight into the interesting bits", especially when the interesting bits weren't that interesting. (Loved the miniature giant robot spaceship though, when I could see it through all the :siren:THIS IS HOW THE DOCTOR IS GOING TO SURVIVE HIS INEVITABLE DEATH:siren: signs.)

I'm living in hope that the finale answers the important questions about Missy's identity: Why should I care and, no seriously, why should I care?

Ironically a Good Man Goes to War does a better job of "The Doctor is a Soldier" than anything this season has. It's a nice little twist on how much he claims to be a man of peace, yet he really did just take a highly-guarded military base without firing a single shot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the main redeeming feature of AGMGTW and LKH is that you can try and convince someone who hasn't watched the series that they form a two-parter

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Wedding of River Song also gave us the music that was used for the Curator scene in Day of the Doctor. That alone redeems it. :colbert:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Speaking finales, I honestly do not remember a thing that happened in The Wedding of River Song. In my memory, it's just a string of unrelated scenes and zero context that ends on a pyramid? There's eyepatches or something too.

That was a bad episode.

Wasn't there a blue head in a box screaming "DOCTOR WHO?!?!" repeatedly right near the end?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, on rewatch, knowing that the Crack is in the Doctor's room is silly as gently caress and makes no sense to his character at all.

Since the crack is in room #11, I like to imagine that it would have contained different things for every incarnation of the Doctor. That almost makes the reveal tolerable, almost.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A Good Man Goes To War is a good episode because it reaffirms that Rory is a badass.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

A Good Man Goes To War is a good episode because it reaffirms that Rory is a badass.

"Would you like me to repeat the question?"

Oh, Rory. :allears:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

TinTower posted:

Oh, Rory. :allears:

Seriously, best companion. Well, best companion bar Evelyn.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pwnstar posted:

I was seriously hoping Centurion Rory was going to rescue Amy from the Headless Monks and Madame K by showing up with a platoon of Cybermen at his command.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I finished Unit: Dominion and now I love Alex MacQueen (more).

At first I thought he was just being a little too over-the-top but I think he manages to maintain just the right balance of campy nonsense with sinister undertones. I do feel a little silly for jumping ahead to the story though, as it reveals a couple of pretty major things that happened in Big Finish continuity-wise. Oh well, it's gonna take me forever to catch up anyway, I'm still working on stories from 2005.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm listening to Gallifrey's third season now and boy does everything turn to utter chaos quickly. The second season is all about investigating the political intrigue, but once the mystery is solved, with a great surprise I might add, it's amazing how hopeless things feel. I'm really looking forward to more of it; I kind of assume it's the Big Finish way of leading up to the Time War without directly saying so, although there's nothing to confirm that yet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm going to buy Dark Eyes next. What's the general consensus? Also, is there an on going plot between the three parts?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

BSam posted:

And Ace. I mean, seriously, girl attacked a Dalek with a baseball bat. Because it called her small.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm going to buy Dark Eyes next. What's the general consensus? Also, is there an on going plot between the three parts?

As far as I know, and I agree with the opinion, Dark Eyes 1 is superior to Dark Eyes 2. But that's "great" versus "pretty good". There is an over-arcing plot though I think you could get through 2 without listening to 1, due to context clues/exposition. I get the sense that as we get further into the series, the ties between the "series" will be getting stronger - but it's really only hinted at now.

For those who have heard them both
Am I remembering correctly that The Master was the one who sent the funds/plans to Sally Armstrong in the Dark Eyes 1 timeline? I believe he mentions something about that when he's Dr. De'ath (still lol at that).

And yes, Dark Eyes 3 was originally listed as October. It was changed to November at some point.

edit:

TinTower posted:

And Ace. I mean, seriously, girl attacked a Dalek with a baseball bat. Because it called her small.

It's amusing that according to the audios, there's an alien world out there with a statue of Ace and her baseball bat - I guess she thought it worked pretty well. You would think they'd fix that weakness but meh.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

BSam posted:

I can't ever take you seriously again. Wilf. All day. Everyday.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

I can't ever take you seriously again. Wilf. All day. Everyday.

Wilf is goddamn fantastic but he's a very static character. Evelyn isn't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McGann posted:

It's amusing that according to the audios, there's an alien world out there with a statue of Ace and her baseball bat - I guess she thought it worked pretty well. You would think they'd fix that weakness but meh.

Given that it was powered by the Hand of Omega, that baseball bat could probably destroy a star.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McGann posted:

It's amusing that according to the audios, there's an alien world out there with a statue of Ace and her baseball bat

Haha. Do you remember which one that is? It's probably enough of a throwaway line that I've already heard it and forgotten, but if not I know I'll have it to look forward to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The audio with the Ace statue is the third story in the second Klein trilogy.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

The audio with the Ace statue is the third story in the second Klein trilogy.

I checked and it's Daleks Among Us, which is the most spoilerific title of all time considering the plot. Plus the statue itself makes no sense considering they're ignoring the Dalek invasion(s), historically and contemporary, why would they leave up a statue to a hero of the Dalek War? but those stories weren't the greatest. Which sucks, because I enjoy the UNIT: Dominion version of Klein (and everything to do with Dominion, actually).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Wilf is goddamn fantastic but he's a very static character. Evelyn isn't.
Well you can't improve on perfection

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If we're talking revival then obviously it's Donna as the best companion without any possible argument or exception unless somehow your opinion differs from mine.

Taking the classic series into account, I'm always tied between Jamie and Sarah Jane - but throw Jamie into any trio (Victoria, Zoe, Peri) and he's goddamn magic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't like Sarah Jane as much as a lot of people. She was okay and I liked her a lot better than Jo, but I actually like all of Four's other companions better except of course for the imbecile.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm a big fan of Harry

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe Bicyclops was talking about Adric? :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

None of Five's companions count as companions for Four, even if most of them would have been better suited as Four's companions. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

None of Five's companions count as companions for Four, even if most of them would have been better suited as Four's companions. :v:

Adric is most closely associated with the 5th Doctor, but he had 5 stories with the 4th Doctor - that's 20 episodes!

He was also a far more palatable character playing off against Tom Baker.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I've been rewatching the new series in order and I've hit Moffat's run and more importantly RORY'S FIRST DEATH! (And second counting the TARDIS 'sploding).

This should be fun.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

RodShaft posted:

I've been rewatching the new series in order and I've hit Moffat's run and more importantly RORY'S FIRST DEATH! (And second counting the TARDIS 'sploding).

This should be fun.

How many times did Rory die before he left the show? There was him getting erased from history, the time in the Curse of the Black Spot, I guess you can count two in the Angels Take Manhattan...I'm forgetting some, I know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TL posted:

How many times did Rory die before he left the show? There was him getting erased from history, the time in the Curse of the Black Spot, I guess you can count two in the Angels Take Manhattan...I'm forgetting some, I know.

Not quite the same, but in Night Terrors when he and Amy end up in the weird doll's house he immediately decides they've died. "We're dead Amy! We've died.... again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't he die in The Doctor's Wife?

• Locked thread