Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for any cool-looking books on daemonology. You know in horror movies when they show forbidden texts about devils? Things like that, or at least the illustrations. Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum, but I can't find any topics solely on art books.

I am unsure exactly what are you looking for. Are you looking for a book like the Evil Dead's Necronomicon, or just a cool art book? A quick search of Demons and these 2 books came up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486227510/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dictionary-Demons-Names-Damned/dp/0738723061/ref=pd_sim_b_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YGVMHE1AN95ZKAANKY7

Another suggestion is Giger's Necrononmicon.

http://www.amazon.com/H-R-Gigers-Necronomicon-Giger/dp/0962344729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413570520&sr=8-1&keywords=necronomicon+giger

If you are looking just to have an evil looking coffee table book, I guess you can't go wrong with Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal (which is on my coffee table right now). The cover does get attention.

http://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Black-Metal-Johan-Kugelberg/dp/1576874354/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413570181&sr=8-2&keywords=pete+beste

Please let me know if you find anything cool. I am also looking for some cool art books with an evil subject.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvercroc
Jun 2, 2013

Deadulus posted:

I am looking for horror books about witches. I would really like a horror story with witches that are in the past (not modern times), but any good and scary ones will do.

I am thinking witches like in the movie Hocus Pocus, but evil and scary (not campy like in that movie).

i'd be interested in anything recommended for this too, what with halloween coming up....i just finished something wicked this way comes and even the witch in that was quite creepy.....anyone got any thoughts?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Not a horror book per se, but The Penguin Book of Witches has just come out for the Halloween.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've started watching Bored to Death on HBO GO and love it. I was wondering if anyone knew any good stoner/druggy detective fiction?

I've seen The Big Lebowski a million times and Inherent Vice is in my top 3 favorite books of all time.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Franchescanado posted:

I've started watching Bored to Death on HBO GO and love it. I was wondering if anyone knew any good stoner/druggy detective fiction?

Don Winslow's Savages, PKD's A Scanner Darkly

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen The Big Lebowski a million times and Inherent Vice is in my top 3 favorite books of all time.

It's not exactly detective fiction, but Tom Robbins's stuff has a similar view on drugs and whimsy. Half Asleep in Frog Pajama's is one of my favorites, but his two biggest are probably Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and Still Life with Woodpecker. Start with Still Life, actually, it's fantastic.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I just finished reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates and I loved it. I want to check out more of his work, what should I read next? And are there any particular works that stand out as being a "must read" or an "avoid completely", or is it all generally good?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I'd add Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem to the good "weird detective story" stuff already mentioned. Also a pretty big fan of Inherent Vice myself.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

homewrecker posted:

I just finished reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates and I loved it. I want to check out more of his work, what should I read next? And are there any particular works that stand out as being a "must read" or an "avoid completely", or is it all generally good?

I love Yates, and personally think he doesn't have any duds. His short stories are fantastic, so you could pick up a collection, and as for his novels my favorites were The Easter Parade and Disturbing the Peace.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm currently finishing up the Mitch Rapp series from Vince Flynn. While enjoyable, it was pretty repetitive and predictable. Are there any other series in the same vein? I've heard good things about the Jack Reacher series.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm currently finishing up the Mitch Rapp series from Vince Flynn. While enjoyable, it was pretty repetitive and predictable. Are there any other series in the same vein? I've heard good things about the Jack Reacher series.

I couldn't stand the Jack Reacher book I read about 2/3 of... the writing was pretty bad and Jack was one of the worst Gary Stu's I've ever encountered. Men fear him, women he meets instantly want to gently caress him, and law enforcement officers respect him, even though he's essentially a drifter.

I must be in the minority though, because they're wildly popular...

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Is there anything like Solaris out there? I read another of his books, Eden, and it was good as well, but not quite Solaris good. Maybe the closest thing I have read to Solaris is probably Speaker for the Dead. The reason I think the two are alike is because of the way the stories mix the description and actions of the aliens with the human story and then brings them together. I have never been a huge sci-fi fan, but I could be if there were more books like Solaris.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rusty posted:

Is there anything like Solaris out there? I read another of his books, Eden, and it was good as well, but not quite Solaris good. Maybe the closest thing I have read to Solaris is probably Speaker for the Dead. The reason I think the two are alike is because of the way the stories mix the description and actions of the aliens with the human story and then brings them together. I have never been a huge sci-fi fan, but I could be if there were more books like Solaris.
This may be a bit of a stretch but try Embassytown by China Miéville. The man's got a bit of a controversial reputation for his prose but this is fairly different from his other books and it definitely fits with its human/alien interactions. It's also very interesting for his chosen branch of science to put in sci-fi.
A lot of people I know found it unreadable, I personally loved it, can't lose much by trying.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

regulargonzalez posted:

Surprised no one has recommended The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. A touch more grognard-y than Conan, but only barely. Gritty, dark, grim, gruesome all apply in spades.

Thanks for this. It seems to be scratching the itch. The Blade Itself (30% in) is a bit more 'inclusive' than I'd like (too many character arcs - I was hoping for a solo adventure thing), but it's very well written and the characters are solid.

I read the Amazon preview for Imaro and I thought it'd be better. Maybe it's good, but I don't like the guy's writing style at all.

I'm coming off finishing The Martian and I find that I get into books a lot more when there's a strong focus on one character or story arc. (great book btw)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What are the go-to literary young adult books?

I mean, I'm not sure this is even a category since YA is really good just to get young people reading (like, reading Divergent is better than not reading at all). But, apart from stuff like Lord of the Flies or Catcher in the Rye, what are some others that I may not have heard of?

I'm asking as a teacher, not as a reader.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

What are the go-to literary young adult books?

I mean, I'm not sure this is even a category since YA is really good just to get young people reading (like, reading Divergent is better than not reading at all). But, apart from stuff like Lord of the Flies or Catcher in the Rye, what are some others that I may not have heard of?

I'm asking as a teacher, not as a reader.

For the younger side of YA, Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Terebithia

For a bit older, I loved It's Like This, Cat when I was 12-13

And there's a fantastic book whose name slips my mind and it's gonna bug the gently caress out of me, set at a prep school, with the narrator (kind of an average joe) who is best friends with the class's all-superlatives kid (charming, smart, natural athlete, etc). It's a great book, and I think a short title, The _____ or just one word.

e: A Separate Peace. Great book.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

For the younger side of YA, Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Terebithia

For a bit older, I loved It's Like This, Cat when I was 12-13

I remember the first two from grade five, Bridge to Terebithia was so good!

But I'm thinking 13-15 and 16-18 year-old range. I see lots of fourteen year-olds reading The Hunger Games and that Mazerunner stuff and even... Divergent and just cringe. But I can't remember what I was reading at that age that wasn't really abnormal (grade 9 I was reading Atlas Shrugged and Nineteen Eighty-Four, for example) so I don't know where to steer students.

But like I said, it's not that much of an issue. They can read Green Eggs and Ham until they're 21 for all I care, as long as they're not just killing time watching Pewdiepie videos and listening to Taylor Swift instead.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Just finished Blindsight and Echopraxia by Peter Watts. Anything else like them? Should I check out his Rifters series?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My YA stage was very very very brief (for some reason the transition period of my reading levels was super short, I kind of got "past" YA early in elementary school, so I missed out on a lot of YA as a snobby brat youngster), but I remember really adoring John Bellairs.
Not sure if he's in the right age group, I don't know what age range his fiction is supposed to be for but I remember really loving it when I was a lil fella.

All that Johnny Dixon stuff was my jam.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 28, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
All of my YA reading was the really embarrassing poo poo like the "Aliens ____!" (Fried my brain, ate my homework, etc.)by Bruce Coville or something like that, and the Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wade Wilson posted:

All of my YA reading was the really embarrassing poo poo like the "Aliens ____!" (Fried my brain, ate my homework, etc.)by Bruce Coville or something like that, and the Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen.

I've seen a couple of students reading stuff like that, and they're my main targets. Though I don't think it's very wise to even bring it up because they might be sensitive and I could contribute to turning them off of reading altogether.

Maybe it's not a thing that I should be worried about. :ohdear:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My YA reading was basically Stephen King, Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Kesey, Tom Wolfe, and Joseph Heller. Like, I read everything by those five guys from age 10 to 18.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Are there any books that even come close to capturing the feeling of the sections in LOTR when the Fellowship traverses Moria?

The dread, the awe of the unknown, the occasional claustrophobia, the incomprehensible vastness, the aeons of history surrounding them, etc.

I've heard about House of Leaves but I'm looking for something not quite so malevolent, just a huge and unknowable space that the characters have to get through and/or out of. Fantasy, scifi or whatever.

Something also like Gearworld (a similar thing to the House of Leaves house, mixed with Jim Henson's Labyrinth, that was done as a series of Livejournal entries back in the early 2000s by, I think, the webcomic artist Ursula Vernon)

Edit: I saw the Maze Runner movie which was surprisingly cool but the book sounds terribad.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 29, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My YA reading was basically Stephen King, Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Kesey, Tom Wolfe, and Joseph Heller. Like, I read everything by those five guys from age 10 to 18.

My YA reading (back in the 80's) was everything Stephen King (I started reading King in 5th grade), Clive Barker, Richard Adams (God I loved Watership Down), Kurt Vonnegut, the Dune series, Robert Heinlein, and anything horror (including the classics like Dracula). I will give credit to Judy Blume for getting me into reading in 3rd grade with Tales of the 4th Grade Nothing, but it wasn't until King that I became obsessive about reading.

My own kids love books like Looking for Alaska, and they just discovered the works of Andrew Smith. I've read Looking for Alaska, and Smith's Winger and Grasshopper Jungle (which is being made into a movie by Edgar Wright), and I have to say they are not bad at all for YA books. I've been trying to get them into King by having them reading his best short stories, but they are put off by the size of some of his novels. I have a couple of thousands of books in my library, and I hope that being around so many books will influence them to read more.

Funny story (or disturbing) my kids have read Palahniuk's short story Guts by browsing my library. I had to tell them to stay away from certain books like my Bret Easton Ellis collection.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Eh. My "get started on enjoying reading" moment was pretty much Ray Bradbury and Fahrenheit 451.

I read books out of boredom in the 80s because my family couldn't afford video games until the 90s (one memory of a teacher actually being upset about me reading The Wind in the Willows for fun sticks out), but it wasn't until Fahrenheit 451 that I really started grasping the idea that the stories I was reading were worth more than the medium they were printed on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah reading out of necessity/poverty as a kid kind of makes me want to kill the Internet and fake poverty for video game consoles for ten years or so to give my own kids the same treatment. I remember getting in trouble for staying up late with a book and then hearing my parents argue about how stupid it was to punish a kid for reading. :3:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sweet Valley books were the rage when I was in 3rd-5th grade. I kept all mine. I was looking for some fluff reading one night and picked one up. I couldn't go 10 pages as it was that bad. Babysitters Club was big, too, but I didn't like them.

Funny how some books in particular were all the rage for a school year. Everyone gravitated towards Maniac Magee in 5th grade, then to Matilda in 6th.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Are there any books that even come close to capturing the feeling of the sections in LOTR when the Fellowship traverses Moria?

The dread, the awe of the unknown, the occasional claustrophobia, the incomprehensible vastness, the aeons of history surrounding them, etc.

I've heard about House of Leaves but I'm looking for something not quite so malevolent, just a huge and unknowable space that the characters have to get through and/or out of. Fantasy, scifi or whatever.

Something also like Gearworld (a similar thing to the House of Leaves house, mixed with Jim Henson's Labyrinth, that was done as a series of Livejournal entries back in the early 2000s by, I think, the webcomic artist Ursula Vernon)

Edit: I saw the Maze Runner movie which was surprisingly cool but the book sounds terribad.

R. Scott Bakker pretty much ripped off the Moria scene in book four of his Second Apocalypse. But everything is much darker and twisted in Bakker's world. I haven't read Tolkien, though. I've only seen bits of the film when it was on the telly.

Bakker gets a bad name because of the infamous demon rape scene and his latter bad handling of the people that went after him without even reading the books. But the series is very good, much better than most of the current fantasy fare.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

tuyop posted:

I've seen a couple of students reading stuff like that, and they're my main targets. Though I don't think it's very wise to even bring it up because they might be sensitive and I could contribute to turning them off of reading altogether.

Maybe it's not a thing that I should be worried about. :ohdear:

Have a read through the YA thread here in the book barn, I think you'll find some good contemporary stuff in there. I think John Green is one of the best YA authors out there at the moment, certainly for more realistic stories.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

elbow posted:

Have a read through the YA thread here in the book barn, I think you'll find some good contemporary stuff in there. I think John Green is one of the best YA authors out there at the moment, certainly for more realistic stories.

While I enjoyed Green's Look for Alaska, my only problem with Green is he writes teenagers not as they truly are, but how he wishes them to be (I stole this thought off Goodreads but I agree with it). Still his stories are mostly great (I am not sure if I would call them that realistic like in the case of Paper Towns), and he likes to go deep for a YA book. Now Andrew Smith on the other had writes teenagers as they actually are. Not saying one is better than the other, but I wish I could combine a John Green story with Andrew Smith's teenagers.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

This is sort of a weird one, but I need a recommended translation of Plato's Republic.

Here's the catch though, it's for my girlfriend and English is her second language. So, readability is more important than accuracy or how literally it's translated. She'll be reading it in Korean as well and comparing, so I don't need like a Plato picturebook for toddlers or something. But, I dunno, any suggestions?

Kitty Cowboy
Apr 12, 2012
Looking for some recommendations for American Naturalism. Specifically, I was hoping that someone would be able to recommend a lesser work, since I'm already familiar with Crane, Norris, London, and Dreiser.

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006
I'm not much of a reader, but I just finished The Martian and absolutely loved it. I'd like some recommendations for similar science fiction, space exploration, survival stories. Much appreciated

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BoyMeetsWorld posted:

I'm not much of a reader, but I just finished The Martian and absolutely loved it. I'd like some recommendations for similar science fiction, space exploration, survival stories. Much appreciated

You could check out some light stuff like Forever War by Joe Haldeman, which is kind of military sci fi. Or go whole hog with 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson, though that's more of future tech porn mystery story. The Road by Cormac McCarthy may have a similar vibe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tuyop posted:

You could check out some light stuff like Forever War by Joe Haldeman, which is kind of military sci fi. Or go whole hog with 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson, though that's more of future tech porn mystery story. The Road by Cormac McCarthy may have a similar vibe.

All good stuff, but be advised none of them are in any way like the blend of laconic humor and action like The Martian is. I would say something like Leviathan Wakes is nearer to it tonally.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Would anyone be able to recommend any novels about marketing? Stuff like william gibson's Blue Ant stuff

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

BrainDance posted:

This is sort of a weird one, but I need a recommended translation of Plato's Republic.

Here's the catch though, it's for my girlfriend and English is her second language. So, readability is more important than accuracy or how literally it's translated. She'll be reading it in Korean as well and comparing, so I don't need like a Plato picturebook for toddlers or something. But, I dunno, any suggestions?

The C.D.C. Reeve translation is a pretty common translation for undergraduates. It's translated for accessibility.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

BrainDance posted:

I've read a few translations of the Republic, and this one, translated by a team named Sterling and Scott for W.W. Norton, is my favorite.

Kitty Cowboy
Apr 12, 2012

Kitty Cowboy posted:

Looking for some recommendations for American Naturalism. Specifically, I was hoping that someone would be able to recommend a lesser work, since I'm already familiar with Crane, Norris, London, and Dreiser.

After a bit of research, I've decided to go with Harold Frederic's "The Damnation of Theron Ware". It seems to hew closer the Realism than Naturalism, but it's close enough. It is also, as of chapter four, very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey all, I have pretty bad ADHD and ain't much of a reader but I'd like to get back into it.

I'm looking for some Western/Country/Southern books. Can be set in pretty much any time period. The type of book that would be perfect to read when you're out camping under the stars chewing tobacco and drinking cowboy coffee type stuff. Similar to Lonesome Dove, but at the same time relatively not dense and easy to read. Any suggestions boys?