Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
This thread sure is getting goony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
What's the deal with T-mobile not getting 64 and 128Gb Air 2s for preorder?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

tuyop posted:

Nobody can have my face either* but I don't care if someone takes my picture to give me a Costco card or whatever. Is it illegal to follow someone and grab their fingerprints from a doorknob or whatever? Is there some difference in legal treatment given to different types of biometric data? I don't see much difference between my DNA, fingerprints, voice, eyes, and face if we're talking biometrics.

This also doesn't answer my question of "why should I care?" I'll refuse to surrender anything if it's not in my best interests. I just don't get how giving someone my fingerprints has any bearing on my interests because I can't imagine a reasonable way that they could be used against me. That's all I'm saying. What ways do you imagine your fingerprints being used against you?

*In private, I understand photography rights and all that.

To be fair, this used to be a reasonable argument about your social security number as well. It didn't become enormously important to secure it until everyone decided that it was an easy to remember/difficult to guess pass code for pretty much everything.

I'm sure some other biometric will quickly take its place, but Apple's starting down a road where your fingerprint may have more day to day purpose than just proving that you're not the guy with the outstanding warrants. If that happens, people will find a way to exploit it to their advantage. It's not a big deal if someone steals a book of ink prints, but I'd rather not be one of a collection of perfect digital duplicates that gets grabbed because some Best Buy employee set the server password to 1234.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ Precisely. Like I said, I can't change them, and I need them for the next 50 years.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'm in the process of setting up an iPad Air 2 for my grandmother. I was initially going to go with the Kindle (lol) because I liked the idea of the MayDay function and someone besides me remotely helping my grandparents with their issues. However upon getting their most recent generation I found their OS stupidly hard to navigate and manipulate, and the MayDay function is hidden under a fine layer of poo poo.

The iPad is just more intuitive, but I feel like its all too easy to things to go wrong. Are there any recommended accessibility setups/apps that would allow my grandmother to get a quick and direct explanation of how to do one thing or another if she should become confused? Maybe I should pin a user manual or instructional video to the front page?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I'm in the process of setting up an iPad Air 2 for my grandmother. I was initially going to go with the Kindle (lol) because I liked the idea of the MayDay function and someone besides me remotely helping my grandparents with their issues. However upon getting their most recent generation I found their OS stupidly hard to navigate and manipulate, and the MayDay function is hidden under a fine layer of poo poo.

The iPad is just more intuitive, but I feel like its all too easy to things to go wrong. Are there any recommended accessibility setups/apps that would allow my grandmother to get a quick and direct explanation of how to do one thing or another if she should become confused? Maybe I should pin a user manual or instructional video to the front page?

How can things go wrong? You literally press the home button to get out of anything and beyond setting up wifi I don't think you ever have to go into settings for typical use.

But I've seen friends write a little manual to the effect of "push the home button to make everything alright" and common troubleshooting. They said it was perfect.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Which states are the ones that require fingerprinting? Even though I think it's probably a lotta worrying about nothing, I'd still rather not get fingerprinted at best buy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Which states are the ones that require fingerprinting? Even though I think it's probably a lotta worrying about nothing, I'd still rather not get fingerprinted at best buy.

It's probably easiest just to search for your specific state.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Went in to Best Buy to see if I should trade in my iPad 2 for an Air 2 or something.

Holy poo poo is that iPad Air 2 thin, and holy poo poo does it vibrate when the volume is even halfway up. Not sure if that's a deal breaker for me, but it's definitely annoying.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

It's probably easiest just to search for your specific state.

Where can I search? Is it on best buy's site somewhere?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Where can I search? Is it on best buy's site somewhere?
Google? Search for pawn shop fingerprinting laws in your city/state. Best Buy is only doing it in areas where it is required for pawn shops to do so.

EDIT: Or call the Best Buy if that's too obtuse. They should tell you.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I changed my mind again and did take advantage of the best buy trade in. It went pretty smooth, I did have to give my fingerprint but whatever. The only issue I had was that they only had gold, so now I'm one of those gold iOS device people. As for the device, this thing weighs nothing and is super speedy. I'm glad I upgraded, I have a feeling I won't need to again for at least 2-3 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really wish you could relegate the "incoming phone call" screen to a screen-top banner or something instead of co-opting my whole iPad with a "HERES A CALL PLEASE STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING" thing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
So i bought my wife an ipad air and one of those logitech keyboards for it. What's a good sleeve to put it in? Ideally, i'd like the sleeve to have protection in case it drops, and not something flimsly like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...rds=ipad+sleeve

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Mister Fister posted:

So i bought my wife an ipad air and one of those logitech keyboards for it. What's a good sleeve to put it in? Ideally, i'd like the sleeve to have protection in case it drops, and not something flimsly like this:

Step one when I get a new piece of gear is I buy a sleeve at http://sfbags.com

It's pricy, but it lasts almost forever.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mulls posted:

Step one when I get a new piece of gear is I buy a sleeve at http://sfbags.com

It's pricy, but it lasts almost forever.

Hmmm yeah, i think that's more than i want to spend, but it is a nice looking case. Thanks though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Put an iPad sleeve inside of a 13" MacBook sleeve inside of a 15" MacBook Pro sleeve.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mister Fister posted:

Get a pack of medium sized padded envelopes. That's how I store my MBA. You could go through like 7 for the cost of one cheap sleeve, or like 30 for a normally priced one.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Martytoof posted:

I really wish you could relegate the "incoming phone call" screen to a screen-top banner or something instead of co-opting my whole iPad with a "HERES A CALL PLEASE STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING" thing.

Wait until you get your first amber alert

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

No sleeve I've ever seen has been particularly protective other than being a little cushioned to prevent scratches.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

No sleeve I've ever seen has been particularly protective other than being a little cushioned to prevent scratches.

http://g-form.com/index.php/extreme-sleeve-2-ipad-case.html

I used one of these on my first two ipads, and I don't know that it can take a bowling ball like it claims, but it sure can withstand a fair amount of abuse.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

At 3am.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Do iPads even do this, or is it just phones? I have the cellular version of the iPad and I don't think it has ever gone off for the weather alerts I occasionally get (Amber Alerts got turned off right after the first one). Think having my iPad go off as well as my personal iPhone and my work iPhone might be enough to push me over the edge...

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Put an iPad sleeve inside of a 13" MacBook sleeve inside of a 15" MacBook Pro sleeve.

Didn't they teach you in school that double-wrapping it only increases the risk?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Any recommendations for a stylus? Are Bluetooth ones worth spending a bit extra on? I quite like the look of the Pencil by FiftyThree. Any used one of those?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Museme makes a nice one.

e: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CA65AR0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_W5wuub0GE3FHD

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Roobsa posted:

Any recommendations for a stylus? Are Bluetooth ones worth spending a bit extra on? I quite like the look of the Pencil by FiftyThree. Any used one of those?

I've been using the Wacom bamboo for awhile. It's fine, apt he nib wore out and I had to decide between $4 for more nibs or $70 for a BT stylus that would be totally different. I got the nibs but I'm still super curious about those new fine tipped ones.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Roobsa posted:

I have a pencil, it is excellent with Paper and pretty much mediocre with anything else.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Traded my 16 gig iPad 3 toward a 64 gig Air 2, and all I can say is holy crap is the difference in speed amazing. Such a pleasure to use thus far.

Orientation lock switch though! :argh: My only real gripe.

Anyway, here's hoping the extra system RAM and CPU core allow real multitasking in iOS 9.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have a pencil, it is excellent with Paper and pretty much mediocre with anything else.

Is there any lag when writing/doing stuff with it?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

What if you change the setting in Notification Center/FaceTime?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Roobsa posted:

Is there any lag when writing/doing stuff with it?

None that I really notice in Paper. Outside of paper it functions like any other 2 dollar stylus and it will be contingent on the software.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

unlawfulsoup posted:

How does the palm rejection work???

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

None that I really notice in Paper. Outside of paper it functions like any other 2 dollar stylus and it will be contingent on the software.

Cool, thanks. I decided to drop the cash and order the Pencil.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, kind of a silly question, but I'm assuming the new iPads shipped with a new default wallpaper, i.e. the one seen in promo photos. However, I set up my Air 2 using the iCloud backup of my old 3, and as best I can tell it erased the default wallpaper and now all I have is the basic set of wallpapers that shipped with iOS 8. Is there any way to get it back besides tracking down the image and adding it to my photo library?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Space Racist posted:

Traded my 16 gig iPad 3 toward a 64 gig Air 2, and all I can say is holy crap is the difference in speed amazing. Such a pleasure to use thus far.

Orientation lock switch though! :argh: My only real gripe.

Anyway, here's hoping the extra system RAM and CPU core allow real multitasking in iOS 9.

What do you mean by real multitasking.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Biodome posted:

What do you mean by real multitasking.

I imagine he means like the mediocre or largely pointless multitasking you get on a Note 8 or something.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

I imagine he means like the mediocre or largely pointless multitasking you get on a Note 8 or something.

Hey, watching lovely TV shows while posting to SA when you're on the train to work would be the holy grail.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I assume he's referring to some of the leaked/buried code in the iOS8 betas that had split screen multitasking ala the Samsung Note/Tablets. There's video on youtube of the partial code being hacked together to work...kinda.

Will it happen eventually? Probably. But will it run on the iPad Air 2? 50/50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Thwomp posted:

I assume he's referring to some of the leaked/buried code in the iOS8 betas that had split screen multitasking ala the Samsung Note/Tablets. There's video on youtube of the partial code being hacked together to work...kinda.

Will it happen eventually? Probably. But will it run on the iPad Air 2? 50/50.

50/50 seems like it's working perfectly! :haw: