Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"New uncles"? I believe there's a perfect word to go there, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Apoplexy posted:

"New uncles"? I believe there's a perfect word to go there, my friend.

What a missed opportunity. Have this to make up for it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Problem with that theory is Balon Greyjoy isn't an interesting character, just a dickwad.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's King Balon Greyjoy

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

300k words is the same length as AFFC

The gently caress does that work? World of Ice & Fire is just 336 pages long. Where did all those hundreds of thousands of words go?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

The gently caress does that work? World of Ice & Fire is just 336 pages long. Where did all those hundreds of thousands of words go?

Words are wind, you see.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Mischitary posted:

Edit: They could change things up dramatically and make one of the last episodes the battle of Winterfell and have one of the first episodes of season 6 be the battle of Meereen. Like, imagine if the first episode of season 6 was the battle of Meereen. It'd be like when Joffrey died in episode 2, nobody expects the big battle to be so early.
I think we can agree that Dany needs to drop in Westeros by the end of season 6, right? It's not the books, she has to get there sometime. Work back from it and see if there is time/space in the beginning of S6 for battle preparations/battle/battle outcome.

So far, we only know that Qarth's not a side in the show, the Ironborn aren't either, the mercenary companies aren't either. This leaves Yunkai versus Meereen (and dragons). I'm not against the battle myself, I'm just saying to wait and see how the season unfolds. If it turns out that Hizdahr smoothed out the problems with Yunkai in between seasons, well.

If there is no battle, though, that would be funny. Like if they chose to resolve the Meereeneese knot (one of them, anyhow) by not tying it in the first place.

Also, as a reminder: there were comments from Martin that Dany and Tyrion spend a lot (most?) of TWOW apart. It's possible Dany doesn't return to Meereen at all, either in the show or in the books.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kinda don't want the show spoiling the books for me.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Hakkesshu posted:

Wherever words go.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

FogHelmut posted:

Kinda don't want the show spoiling the books for me.

It's going to happen, you might as well get used to it! I'm currently saving up to buy everyone in this and the TBB threads spoiler avatars based on the show :ssh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
:siren: HERE BE SPOILERS :siren:

I'm reading through the sample now, it's definitely a book meant to be a historian's view on the history of Westeros rather than a concrete laying out of the story bible. One interesting thing so far is the implication that the Long Winter caused the irregular seasons and that they haven't always been so weird.

Also, ice spiders!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

webmeister posted:

It's going to happen, you might as well get used to it! I'm currently saving up to buy everyone in this and the TBB threads spoiler avatars based on the show :ssh:

Save the money on the bad thread. They don't care.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So far (100 pages in), the World of Ice and Fire is pretty badly written, and quite lacking in flavor/detail. For a companion book detailing the reigns of all Targaryen kings, you'd think a maester would have more to say about the faith militant's attempt to assassinate Aegon the Conqueror than "stopped by a Kingsguard knight".

It's written from an in-universe perspective but half the time you're asking yourself what the scope of the book is. It feels like a maester writing whatever comes to mind in his diary, with no real attention to detail. The GRRM sections are way better but there's not many of them.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I have read the first half of the book (past the historical narrative and to the point where it starts discussing each region individually) and I would say it is good so far, so long as you go in with the knowledge that it won't answer everything. There are a couple of instances where a story or historical anecdote feels like it should have been more detailed (as Ham shows above), but I would say they are few and far between.

ps. Merlings confirmed real.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

:eyepop: :wth: awwwwww poo poo game-changer right here :supaburn:

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

How does The World of Ice and Fire compare to The World of the Wheel of Time?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Only about 40 pages in TWOIAF but holy poo poo, the last Storm King just oozes :black101:. I love the fact the book starts off with the maester crossing out Robert's name then Joff's and lastly puts Tommen's in place. Barely anything on the Long Night but some historians thinking the Others were just really tough wilding clans sounds pretty interesting.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

He has the book. The rest will come.

drat GRRM is going Varys on us.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Scapegoat posted:

He has the book. The rest will come.

drat GRRM is going Varys on us.

Never go full Varys.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I loved reading about the other lands in the book. The Basilisk Isles sounded pretty neat and the Shadowlands just dripped of creepiness.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My fake spoiler custom title will have the last laugh. :krakken:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Interesting review from the race for the iron throne guy on how twoiaf reads as a fake work of history: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2014/10/building-world-ice-fire

Also a more detailed analysis beginning here: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/a-world-of-ice-and-fire-analysis-chapter-i-from-the-dawn-to-the-doom/

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 28, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just starting to go through the book now and I can't stop reading it in Maester Pycelle's voice.

Needless to say, it's taking a ponderously long time.

Edit: I am loving this book, my lore boner is so hard right now you guys.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 29, 2014

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I love Pycelle. And Varys, for that matter. Every scene with either of them (Small Councils, especially) rule so hard. The one where Pycelle acted the dick to Tyrion and dropped the note of Robb's demise and Varys was visibly almost cracking up at Tyrion threatening Joffrey especially.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So am I the only one that thinks Dany will never see Westeros? I mean I love the crazy girl but dudes...if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Fragmented posted:

So am I the only one that thinks Dany will never see Westeros? I mean I love the crazy girl but dudes...if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention.

It could still be an unhappy ending if and when she gets there! She crashes her dragon into the wall, killing Jon and Stannis, leaving Moonboy as the one true king.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Yestermoment posted:

It could still be an unhappy ending if and when she gets there! She crashes her dragon into the wall, killing Jon and Stannis, leaving Moonboy as the one true king.

Maester 1: "So who's next in line now?"
Maester 2: "Probably Moon Boy for all I know!"
*Moon Boy's crowned*

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fragmented posted:

Of course it won't have a happy ending - Dany's entire arc in DWD drives home to her that she's a conqueror, not a Queen.

She will make it to Westeros, but only once the politics of Robert's ultimate succession has finally settled down. This will of course spark another civil war, and she'll die in the climactic battle with Jon Snow and his army of Others.

Jon conquers King's Landing with his unstoppable army and claims the throne for the Starks. He immediately abdicates and rides off into night, his last act being to crown Queen Sansa, First of Her Name. Sansa honours her original marriage to Tyrion, uniting the two key houses of Westeros and ending the civil war for good.

The final chapter of the series will be from Rickon's POV, watching Davos wade ashore on Skaagos and listening politely while Davos announces his plan to crown Rickon, aided by Stannis and Darkstar.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I'm loving AWoIAF so far. There's just so much poo poo in here.

Also, if there's one thing that there better be a ton of in TWoW it's goddamn ice spiders. Almost every single time we're told about the Others the first thing they say is that they rode giant ice spiders and it's no different here. This is totally a case of Chekov's ice spider.

meristem posted:

I think we can agree that Dany needs to drop in Westeros by the end of season 6, right? It's not the books, she has to get there sometime. Work back from it and see if there is time/space in the beginning of S6 for battle preparations/battle/battle outcome.

So far, we only know that Qarth's not a side in the show, the Ironborn aren't either, the mercenary companies aren't either. This leaves Yunkai versus Meereen (and dragons). I'm not against the battle myself, I'm just saying to wait and see how the season unfolds. If it turns out that Hizdahr smoothed out the problems with Yunkai in between seasons, well.

If there is no battle, though, that would be funny. Like if they chose to resolve the Meereeneese knot (one of them, anyhow) by not tying it in the first place.

Also, as a reminder: there were comments from Martin that Dany and Tyrion spend a lot (most?) of TWOW apart. It's possible Dany doesn't return to Meereen at all, either in the show or in the books.

It's entirely possible that Dany never returns to Meereen but that doesn't defeat the necessity of a battle occurring.

They've already pointed out that Yunkai and Astapor have fallen back into their slaver ways in the show, and they even sent Daario to try and smooth things out. I don't think it's very good storytelling if Daario just shows back up and says "I handled it it's all good now" and Dany marries Hizdahr like everyone wants and they all live happily ever after until she decides that she wants to go back to Westeros.

I don't know, the television show is definitely different from the books, and things do not have to follow logically.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 29, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Still upset there weren't any spiders in that shot of the Land of Always Winter in Season 4.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Lycus posted:

Still upset there weren't any spiders in that shot of the Land of Always Winter in Season 4.

Used up that budget to have Jojen get killed by the Hyrule Field Stalchildren.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Lycus posted:

Ice spiders legit freak me out. I had a dream about them the other night(I have a lot of dreams) But gently caress them.Ice spiders aaaahhhhhhh

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lycus posted:

When was this shot? In Bran's vision or something?

Edit: Oh yeah, totally forgot about that.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 29, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
When we saw the Night's King at the end of "Oathbreaker", though we don't actually know where that scene was set.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
What are the chances that Jaime is going to be killed in Dorne? The books are building up to a confrontation between him and Brienne, but without Stoneheart that can't happen. I don't recall them casting anyone for the Kingsguard guy in Dorne (correct me if I'm wrong), so having Jaime killed in his place seems like something that could happen.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sam. posted:

What are the chances that Jaime is going to be killed in Dorne? The books are building up to a confrontation between him and Brienne, but without Stoneheart that can't happen. I don't recall them casting anyone for the Kingsguard guy in Dorne (correct me if I'm wrong), so having Jaime killed in his place seems like something that could happen.

Meryn Trant is going to be in Dorne.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Meryn Trant is going to Braavos with Mace Tyrel to be offed by Arya. Jaime won't die in Dorne. Whatever impact ser Oakhart's death has to the overall story couldn't possibly compare to whatever Jaime does so it's an event that can easily be cut.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mischitary posted:

It's entirely possible that Dany never returns to Meereen but that doesn't defeat the necessity of a battle occurring.

She's got two dragons chilling in Meereen. I mean, she doesn't have to go back, but I don't think she'd straight up abandon them to go conquer Westeros.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

lifts cats over head posted:

Meryn Trant is going to Braavos with Mace Tyrel to be offed by Arya. Jaime won't die in Dorne. Whatever impact ser Oakhart's death has to the overall story couldn't possibly compare to whatever Jaime does so it's an event that can easily be cut.

I think the problem is that we don't know what it is that Jaime does. He could very well die in or after his confrontation with LS, and since LS is not in the show, why not have him die in Dorne? It's not that they'll have him do what Oakheart did, it's that they have him do what he might do in the books, but somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I'd be kinda pissed if a POV character died in a show-only plotline.

• Locked thread