Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Master Twig posted:

I enjoy playing my Tyranids. I've had some great, close matches with it. I legit do get people going "oh poo poo" when they see three FMCs, three ground MCs, and a malanthrope to give them all great cover turn one, AND have an imperial knight hanging out nearby.

(Not trying to be smug about my list, just that I have been having fun with nids. I just wish there were more ways to do it. )

But that's his point. He doesn't mean boring inasmuch as you don't have fun with playing it, he means boring because there aren't "more ways to do it", you're not disagreeing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Who cares about good. I am in this hobby for the fun. Which is why I am painting up a Dreadnought and not intending to exclusively run it as a rifleman dread.

Edit: Of course, if you play in tournaments I understand it, but that is a different level of playing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Warhammer is a game that uses structured playing for entertainment. So if something is "fun" in the context of a game it is a synonym for good. Granted the problem is that both good and fun are subjective, so your post is pointless.

I would also argue that the relationship between fun and good is only one way; something can be "good" and not "fun".

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 29, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

jadebullet posted:

Here is the Champion. I am really happy with how this guy turned out.

Thanks for opening a can of whopass on the thread. Your Chapter is based on Them Crooked Vultures?

Champion rules.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I got a couple quick question for those of you who have magnetized weapons options. I'm looking to magnetize some power armour grey nights arms for greater weapons choices. Mostly at the shoulder joint for power armour and terminator marines. But also some things like Dreadknight weapons just to go balls to the wall with this, even though I'm sure I'd otherwise never use a gatling psilencer.

What sorts of magnets did you use for this? And where did you get them or order them from? I'm in Canada (Ottawa), and don't know where I would look for magnets appropriate for this other than like... Lee Valley Tools maybe?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
no, you idiots. the idea is that literally any activity in existence has been called "fun" by somebody. people mutilate themselves, eat literal poo poo, send death threats to random women, post on dakkadakka, watch honey boo-boo, and kill black people because it's "fun"

the word is loving meaningless. even worse is that you use it as an excuse to cover up for terrible rules. X army has a book full of units that commit suicide and are incredibly useless? it's okay because we're forging a narrative of FUN, leave your standards at the door of the gw store

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LordAba posted:

Warhammer is a game that uses structured playing for entertainment. So if something is "fun" in the context of a game it is a synonym for good. Granted the problem is that both good and fun are subjective, so your post is pointless.

I would also argue that the relationship between fun and good is only one way; something can be "good" and not "fun".

Wow are you for real?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Sir Teabag posted:

What sorts of magnets did you use for this? And where did you get them or order them from? I'm in Canada (Ottawa), and don't know where I would look for magnets appropriate for this other than like... Lee Valley Tools maybe?

You'll want to use neodymium rare earth magnets. Lee Valley Tools site says they have them but the smallest is 1/4", which is much too big. If you have a hobby store around you, they'll likely have some small enough to work.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
hey so this big $110+ model that's coming out that doesn't have enough dice to fire its primary psychic attack even once out of its max 3 times might look like complete unplayable poo poo but trust me when i say that it's fun as hell to be frustrated by an expensive but intentionally non-functional unit

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it is bad but it actually does have enough dice to cast psychic onslaught

also i think it's like 70 bux

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 29, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

Wow are you for real?

Yes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hey so who likes the new IA 13 huh

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

S.J. posted:

Wow are you for real?

It's Broken Loose, he's not worth engaging with precisely because his histrionic stupidity is so consistent. He'll turn the thread into an open sewer for a while and then gently caress off again until the next time someone says his name.

He's basically the Beetlejuice of fools.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 29, 2014

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

krushgroove posted:

Reading you guys talk about Nids makes me sad :( I get asked by the other guys in my group about these new units and I'm all 'oh yeah it looks cool and rules seem alright' but then everyone says the rules suck...I still want to try the dataslate stuff for them, I don't want my Nids to live in a box like my Dark Eldar have done until very recently.

But I have a question for anyone who's built a Warhound titan, I know there are a couple of folks here - about how long did it take to assemble, and how many spots can you magnetize for transport or movement?

I tried magnetizing the waist and found that the heavy magnets I had for the job were in no way up to the task. There really isn't much you can easily magnetize on a Lucius pattern Warhound as most of the joints carry a tremendous amount of weight for a model, though I did magnetize the top of the cockpit so I can put in some LEDs in the future to make the cockpit windows glow.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

But he is our Beetlejuice. And every time he breaks loose, the thread goes unbound. Every time the thread gets unbound, lots of narrative gets forged. Not everyone wants to forge the narrative to an unbound thread, but while its not good it is fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's Broken Loose, he's not worth engaging with precisely because his histrionic stupidity is so consistent. He'll turn the thread into an open sewer for a while and then gently caress off again until the next time someone says his name.

I wasn't quoting bl

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My mistake. I'm blaming the fact it's gone 4am.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I understand people don't like BL but I don't get why they refuse to admit he's right. Just because you can have fun playing Tyranids does not mean the codex isn't a badly written and half-assed abomination. Like half the units are unplayable garbage. I'm not a GW hater, I migrated to WHFB which has it's own problems but most army books are reasonably balanced and most units are playable. I don't get how they can fail so hard in 40K when Fantasy is in a fairly decent place.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the only good codexes are eldar and tau but everything else is on pretty even footing if you don't count the two frontrunners

like okay yeah i get maybe the list you want to run may not be super viable but whether or not some bullshit combination of toys you pulled out of your rear end can be assembled into an effective military simulation in a game about rolling dice isn't the ultimate determining factor about whether or not a book is 'good' and half the people who hop in here to say the game sucks admittedly don't even play it and another quarter of those that do don't even understand the rules of the game.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 29, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

krushgroove posted:

But I have a question for anyone who's built a Warhound titan, I know there are a couple of folks here - about how long did it take to assemble, and how many spots can you magnetize for transport or movement?

poo poo, I totally missed this post and I'm actually rebuilding a Warhound right now. In terms of magnetizing, the cockpit is pretty easy to do and I've magnetized the void shield projectors. You can't really magnetize much more than that. If you want to make the arms removable, you're going to want to use nuts and bolts. Here's a helpful blog post about how to do that.

As for time? This is going to take at least two weeks to assemble and at least that long to paint/weather/base. I'm pinning the poo poo out of this thing and it's not going to ever come apart again unless someone takes power tools to it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

the only good codexes are eldar and tau but everything else is on pretty even footing if you don't count the two frontrunners

See, I am of the opinion that Eldar and Tau are the bad codexes... nerf that poo poo geedub.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Cataphract posted:

See, I am of the opinion that Eldar and Tau are the bad codexes... nerf that poo poo geedub.

You know what I mean.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Seconded.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

When most of the armies made from the codex rely on the basic transport for its kill power you may have a bad codex.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No one has know what the gently caress to do with Tyranids since 2nd edition. It's always been this throw poo poo at the wall see what happens. I'll tell you what happens, you get lovely walls. The fact that someone didn't even sit down and go

"Wait, so it's a Warp Charge 2 Power that you can cast 3 times, that works right?"

" Well no not really when you consider if you want a greater than 80% chance you need to roll 5 dice"

" Oh what happens then ?"

" Oh well you'd need 15 warp charge to do it 3 times, and odds are he'd probably Perils, and possible just kill himself".

"Sounds Great, we got anything laying around we can just kitbash?"

" Sure throw some tentacles on it and bake the body bigger, give it a Mindflayer head, done"

" I sure do love cocaine!"

" Hell YEA COCAINE!"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 29, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sir Teabag posted:

I got a couple quick question for those of you who have magnetized weapons options. I'm looking to magnetize some power armour grey nights arms for greater weapons choices. Mostly at the shoulder joint for power armour and terminator marines. But also some things like Dreadknight weapons just to go balls to the wall with this, even though I'm sure I'd otherwise never use a gatling psilencer.

Magnetizing the Dreadknight and Terminators should be pretty easy, due to the way their weapons attach; the power armor guys will be a bit harder. I usually go with 2mm disc magnets as sort of the minimum size you can work with easily and will give enough holding power to do stuff with, and they're about right for doing arms on that size of guy. I don't know what sort of hobby stores Canada has or what they carry, but I've typically ordered my magnets online via Ebay or a retailer websight.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Why does everyone ignore Knights and Space Marines, who have been winning just as many tournaments and making just as many top-level appearances? SM is arguably even better than Eldar due to having multiple builds available and more options through FW, etc.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BULBASAUR posted:

So you're right, its not chaos spawn bad, but its an expensive model with rules that will keep it mostly on your shelf for the next decade (when FW finally updates the rules for it).

Spawn are really good though.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

What is this awesome model and where can I get it?

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Sir Teabag posted:

http://zigmystermagnets.com/ These guys are in Toronto. I've ordered from them before and they're pretty good. The tiny tiny magnets you need are like $5 for 50, but the shipping costs still end up being more than the cost of the magnets.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lungboy posted:

Spawn are really good though.

They are now! They used to be the worst unit in the entire game.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fearless posted:

I tried magnetizing the waist and found that the heavy magnets I had for the job were in no way up to the task. There really isn't much you can easily magnetize on a Lucius pattern Warhound as most of the joints carry a tremendous amount of weight for a model, though I did magnetize the top of the cockpit so I can put in some LEDs in the future to make the cockpit windows glow.
Thanks - I'm asking because a friend wants me to build and paint a Warhound he wants to get, and I need to give him a reasonable estimate on time. He's not especially wanting posability and definitely doesn't want lights, but I think he'll want to be able to transport it without needing a huge Pelican case! :)

BlackIronHeart posted:

poo poo, I totally missed this post and I'm actually rebuilding a Warhound right now. In terms of magnetizing, the cockpit is pretty easy to do and I've magnetized the void shield projectors. You can't really magnetize much more than that. If you want to make the arms removable, you're going to want to use nuts and bolts. Here's a helpful blog post about how to do that.

As for time? This is going to take at least two weeks to assemble and at least that long to paint/weather/base. I'm pinning the poo poo out of this thing and it's not going to ever come apart again unless someone takes power tools to it.
See above on why I'm asking for time estimates - that blog link is really handy and I think my buddy won't want to do that much to it. Although if I get one I'd definitely want it swappable/moveable! So when you say 'two weeks' is that working 2-5 hours a night for a couple of weeks, like a typical day job worker? So probably 30 hours, average of 3 or so hours a night for 10 days (assuming you want to take a break from it)?

Ghost Hand posted:

Stop listening to other people - develop your own opinions by proxying something as one of these creatures and see if it is fun to play/worth purchasing.

I know what you mean - every codex, every rule, every model gets the same treatment. But like PeterWeller said, the DE codex I'm enjoying right now is widely panned by 'the internets' so it's all taken with a (small) grain of salt of course. I like most of the Tyranid aesthetic and I'm the only one in my group with a horde or MC army, so it gives them something different and weird to fight, which is cool. But I do like to win now and then too (and I have won with my Nids, at least in the early games).

I think my overall lack of enthusiasm with Nids is that it is a completely different style of army to DE (my first army) and CSM (my second army) so it takes time to learn all the different units, how to use them, way more psyker use, what weapons to take on flyers, etc., etc. That, and I only get in maybe 1 game per week, not like some of the other guys here that can hang out at a shop all weekend and get in 4 games on a weekend against different armies. For me that would be a major crash course, it's a month's worth of games. I do proxy stuff but I tend to take the 'good' stuff that people say to take, because hey who doesn't want to win if they can? but my progression is at a much slower pace than the serious warhams who pipe up the most on how much a set of rules may suck or whatever. So I do tend to listen to people who know the rules better and of course some of them are biased one way or the other, either because their Genestealers still live in the same box they have for years, or they hate the look of the new models, or whatever.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
The thing I mostly dislike about the new Tyranids, is how uncreative and dull they are when compared to the gorgeous new models Fantasy has received lately.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

The thing I mostly dislike about the new Tyranids, is how uncreative and dull they are when compared to the gorgeous new models Fantasy has received lately.

LordAba posted:

I will buy 4.

*shakes head at you*

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Holy poo poo scrunt :stonklol:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Hollismason posted:

No one has know what the gently caress to do with Tyranids since 2nd edition. It's always been this throw poo poo at the wall see what happens. I'll tell you what happens, you get lovely walls. The fact that someone didn't even sit down and go

"Wait, so it's a Warp Charge 2 Power that you can cast 3 times, that works right?"

" Well no not really when you consider if you want a greater than 80% chance you need to roll 5 dice"

" Oh what happens then ?"

" Oh well you'd need 15 warp charge to do it 3 times, and odds are he'd probably Perils, and possible just kill himself".

"Sounds Great, we got anything laying around we can just kitbash?"

" Sure throw some tentacles on it and bake the body bigger, give it a Mindflayer head, done"

" I sure do love cocaine!"

" Hell YEA COCAINE!"

Hey man, I argue that they aren't doing enough cocaine. That is why we can't use Doomrider anymore.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I just want to say that I love that this little guy has become a thing. :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That gif is avatar worthy

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Safety Factor posted:

I just want to say that I love that this little guy has become a thing. :allears:

What is that thing even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I like Rapey Joe Stalin and Broken Loose. If you're fighting about one or the other being bad or one being worse you are not nerding correctly in my humble opinion.

NTRabbit posted:

That gif is avatar worthy

SpiritOfLenin posted:

What is that thing even?

• Locked thread