Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Awful app had been crashing constantly on my 930 the past few days :(

My 930 received an update a couple of days ago and I am now a proud user of Cortana. I love this thing. I'm in the UK and have been waiting for this quite sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jeherrin posted:

US Store only, it seems. :(

Change your regional settings to United states, download it, then put them back to your native settings. I did it and it works great. Even the location services.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is really annoying the regional lock on some apps, like Tetra Lockscreen wich is a garage app and free. They really need to take that out, mostly because loads of users don't know that you can just change your region and get away with it. I've been using US as my region and english-us as my phone's launguage so I can use cortana since it won't be out in Spain until 1st quarter 2015 :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I switched to US to try Cortana, switched back to Canada and it disappeared again. Any reason not to just leave it on US?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

codo27 posted:

I switched to US to try Cortana, switched back to Canada and it disappeared again. Any reason not to just leave it on US?

Nope. I dunno how it is on yours, but on mine I have only "speech" set to US; everything is otherwise set to Canada.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I really wish that if I tap a text notification it didn't spin up yet another Messaging instance. It might explain why Messaging is the biggest battery hog going right now.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there a way to sort music by what is on the device? Or to tell it to only stream on WiFi unless I specifically request an album?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Anonononomous posted:

Is there a way to sort music by what is on the device? Or to tell it to only stream on WiFi unless I specifically request an album?

The closest option is toggle off the connect to streaming music option, this will cut off all of the music you have stored in the cloud. I think the idea is that if you want to not stream then download the albums locally.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
I got a "critical update" from developer preview on my 920, and now my power and camera buttons do not work, though volume works fine. My google fu turns up nothing, and I did a factory reset of my phone and they still aren't functioning. Any ideas?

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Murkyhumor posted:

I got a "critical update" from developer preview on my 920, and now my power and camera buttons do not work, though volume works fine. My google fu turns up nothing, and I did a factory reset of my phone and they still aren't functioning. Any ideas?
Since you already did factory reset, you might just as well could try using Nokia recovery tool to restore back to non-dp version.

http://download.fds-ncom.nokia.com/supportFiles/phones/files/recovery/NokiaSoftwareRecoveryToolInstaller.exe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Capacitor posted:

I really wish that if I tap a text notification it didn't spin up yet another Messaging instance. It might explain why Messaging is the biggest battery hog going right now.

I'm seeing this too -- hopefully they fix it soon because my battery life keeps going to poo poo unless I clean all the Messagings out of the task manager regularly.

They do seem to have finally fixed the bug where the phone loses its place in my music if I leave it paused all day, so that's good. Been seeing that one since the original 8.1 DP.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My wife really liked her windows phone, but when she lost it we replaced it with an iPhone. I personally like iOS and found it convenient that we both were using it. It's time for her to get a new phone and I'm sick between the iPhone 6 and lumia 930.

Have any of you that have switched from iOS have any reasons why you really like wp?

Also anyone running two types of phone OSes in your home and have found ways to still have synergy together?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What kind of stuff are you doing between your phones that required both have the same OS? My girlfriend had an iPhone for a while, and once a good Snapchat client came out for WP there stopped being any kind of divide between our phones caused by their OSes.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
We would share pictures and apps. For instance, it was extremely convenient to use a shopping list app that updated on both our phones so when I had to go, I knew what she wanted.

THere was also the potential for more things we could do, such as Airdrop (she is using a 4, which doesn't have access to that feature). Now that iCloud has become a useful piece of software, we'll be able to use that as well for our picture backups.

One thing I remember about the Windows app store was that it wasn't very plentiful, although from what I've read it's getting better.

What is snapchat?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I use OneDrive to share stuff between all my devices, W7 PC, Android 4.4.4 Tablet and Phone and WP 8.1 Phone. OneDrive is available for iOS aswell and is a great service in my opinion so you both can go with different OS.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm not sure what shopping list app you currently use, but I use Wunderlist which is cross platform and great on whatever I've used it on, so even if she does go with an iPhone, you should check that out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm just lurking here for info and don't use a Windows phone, but things like OneNote, Evernote, and Google Docs are all cross platform. Same with file sharing like Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive. Not everything will work well on multiple platforms, but there are plenty of platform agnostic services out there for notes and sharing files.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

My 930 will (should!) arrive tomorrow, but I'm wondering: since Chrome is apparently not available for WP, what's the easiest way I can get my bookmarks / contacts onto it from my Nexus 5? Any pro-tips?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Stubb Dogg posted:

Since you already did factory reset, you might just as well could try using Nokia recovery tool to restore back to non-dp version.

http://download.fds-ncom.nokia.com/supportFiles/phones/files/recovery/NokiaSoftwareRecoveryToolInstaller.exe

If I unlock my phone (carrier is Orange), can I install a stock (rom? os?) with that utility? I've been using carrier-free or unlocked phones for a decade already and I hate having the splash screen from this carrier. It's a spergy thing but I wouldn't mind if I can easily reinstall a stock OS.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pipski posted:

My 930 will (should!) arrive tomorrow, but I'm wondering: since Chrome is apparently not available for WP, what's the easiest way I can get my bookmarks / contacts onto it from my Nexus 5? Any pro-tips?

You can get email/contacts/calendar from google account just by adding it during setup.

There's 3rd party apps for syncing info with Chrome in the store, I haven't used any of them though, so can't really provide any recommendations.

Heres an example:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/chrync/cf88cf1c-db73-4db4-8612-758f23c31067

Here's the Microsoft "switch from android" guide, covers some basic stuff:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/moving-from-android-to-windows-phone

If you're super deep in the Google ecosystem, you honestly might be sad, as almost all the google support is via 3rd party apps of varying quality, thanks to Google's "lol no" policy towards the platform.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 28, 2014

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

You can get email/contacts/calendar from google account just by adding it during setup.

There's 3rd party apps for syncing info with Chrome in the store, I haven't used any of them though, so can't really provide any recommendations.

Heres an example:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/chrync/cf88cf1c-db73-4db4-8612-758f23c31067

Here's the Microsoft "switch from android" guide, covers some basic stuff:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/moving-from-android-to-windows-phone

If you're super deep in the Google ecosystem, you honestly might be sad, as almost all the google support is via 3rd party apps of varying quality, thanks to Google's "lol no" policy towards the platform.

Oh, nice, thanks. I'm only bothered about the contacts and bookmarks, really; the rest of Google's ecosystem can do one. Sick of them. So long as there's a decent remote control app, a Spotify app, Shazam or equivalent, Kindle, Twitter, and some way of working with Word documents stored in a cloud, I don't think I need any other apps. They're the only ones I use. The rest just clutter up my phone.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Office Lens is really an excellent implementation of the document/whiteboard scan app type. Pretty simplistic, but good OneNote integration and no-nonsense filtering/perspective correction makes it really pleasing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Welp, after my phone froze 7 times over the weekend (after spending the two months since the 8.1 upgrade doing multiple reinstalls of the OS and disabling of apps until it was basically a 1990s dumbphone with a very nice camera in a desperate attempt to make it stable) I'm officially done with Windows Phone.

I wouldn't accept this poo poo from a loving hacked Android sideload, for a flagship phone made by a company specifically purchased by Microsoft to make them hardware to showcase their OS to be so completely useless is just ridiculous.

Oh, and being told multiple times by Nokia that it's a software problem and I needed to talk to Microsoft and by Microsoft it's a hardware problem I needed to speak to Nokia (and neither being willing to admit THEY ARE THE SAME loving COMPANY) really did make me feel like a valued customer.

It's a tragedy because I really liked WP, having at first just been willing to tolerate it to get my hands on the 1020s camera. It looks nice, it works (worked) well, and was generally quite a pleasure to use. Then they upgraded to 8.1 (and kicked out the ladder to prevent people from going back) and it all went to utter poo poo. I suppose I'll go back to one of my old Android phones while I work out what to go with next.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Awful Forums Reader

Lately every time I open the woodworking thread, the app immediately crashes. Doesn't matter if I open it first or open other threads first.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&pagenumber=212#lastpost

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

Awful Forums Reader

Lately every time I open the woodworking thread, the app immediately crashes. Doesn't matter if I open it first or open other threads first.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&pagenumber=212#lastpost

JavaScript error, fix should already be in my GitHub. Whenever I push out a new build it will work again.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Why are you torn between an iPhone 6 and a Lumia 930? Isn't the 930 hardware like a year older and lacking the cool Nokia features that other lumias have? Also I'd think if you both have iPhone you can do all the cool imessage/facetime stuff

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
The lumia 930 seemed to be the best windows phone that wasn't giant or had a tumor sized camera protrusion. From what I understand it's also good enough for her purposes and will be a significant upgrade from her iPhone 4.

Personally I'd like to get her the six, but it's not really me using it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Drastic Actions posted:

JavaScript error, fix should already be in my GitHub. Whenever I push out a new build it will work again.

Would it also be possible to add the ability to read the Leper's Colony in a future update as well?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Stumpus posted:

The lumia 930 seemed to be the best windows phone that wasn't giant or had a tumor sized camera protrusion. From what I understand it's also good enough for her purposes and will be a significant upgrade from her iPhone 4.

check out the 830 as well. If she's coming from an iPhone4, the 930 may come off as really bulky. The 830 is generally felt to be the better designed of the two.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My wifi icon has an arrow. Anyone know what that is?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Stumpus posted:

I own a 930 and its the best phone I had ever had. Great size, great weight, looks fab in green and is super fast. Ditch the IOS idea immediately.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dr Tran posted:

My wifi icon has an arrow. Anyone know what that is?

Is sending/receiving data.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Charles Martel posted:

Would it also be possible to add the ability to read the Leper's Colony in a future update as well?

The code for getting it is technically there, I just need to come up with a UI for it (and make it work on Windows 8 again). At some point I'll add it back.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

The code for getting it is technically there, I just need to come up with a UI for it (and make it work on Windows 8 again). At some point I'll add it back.

Just got a bug where the phone rebooted itself when I pressed on a youtube embedded video. Never had an issue like that with other apps. Other than that, is it possible to just open embedded videos with internet explorer instead?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Guillermus posted:

Just got a bug where the phone rebooted itself when I pressed on a youtube embedded video. Never had an issue like that with other apps. Other than that, is it possible to just open embedded videos with internet explorer instead?

I just tried it, and it did not reboot the phone. I'm on the developer preview builds though, so :shrug:. If it was a javascript error, it should appear now as a error dialog and say what went wrong. If it's a thread parsing issue, it should also appear as a error dialog.

Phone rebooting seems like an OS level issue, but I have no idea what that would crash the whole thing. I could make a test app with just a webview and just an embedded youtube video to see what's going on. But again, I can't reproduce it so.

You can also turn off that setting on the forums itself to show the video, then it would just be a normal link again. I don't know if I can make that a setting in the app itself and override it; on some areas I can, since they are query string values, but I don't think I can with that one.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I own a 930 and its the best phone I had ever had. Great size, great weight, looks fab in green and is super fast. Ditch the IOS idea immediately.

I went from the 920 to the 930 and though it's an upgrade in most ways (bigger screen or no increase in size, better screen, better camera, beefier internals) it did lose glance which is a huge bummer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

Did the bookmark toggle disappear or was it never there and I didn't notice?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

Did the bookmark toggle disappear or was it never there and I didn't notice?

Which one? I did not remove any options. If you want to add a bookmark, or remove one, just long press on a thread in the thread list.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Anyone on Sprint and able to comment on their WP offerings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JPrime posted:

Anyone on Sprint and able to comment on their WP offerings?

Really old (8XT) and old (lol Ativ S). They probably have the worst US carrier lineup. I thought I saw some rumors of them getting the HTC One W8, but haven't seen anything concrete.