Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Surperb! I put an order in before even realising that I'd be connecting it up to an Openelec box and that it might not work as planned.

No doubt, expect follow up posts from me and others in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Amazon has a new fire TV stick device that is only $20 for prime members for the next two days. Doesn't ship for a month, so we can't say for sure if it will support XBMC. But chances are pretty good that it's a lower spec version of their other steamer and it should work. In any case, I preorderered one while it's on sale. It's a good price for a network steamer even if it doesn't run XBMC.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Looks neat. I like that it has a remote and a TV interface and doesn't require me to use my phone. And that it's cheap like the Chromecast and not overpriced like the Roku Stick which is garbage.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
In my experience, dual core chips don't cut it for XBMC. Depends I guess on what GPU its using but theres no info on that.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Gozinbulx posted:

In my experience, dual core chips don't cut it for XBMC. Depends I guess on what GPU its using but theres no info on that.

Doesn't the Apple TV 2 only have a single core? It always seemed to run XBMC decently well.

I've been looking at the Fire TV for an updated XBMC box, but with this Fire TV stick, I wonder if it will do all of the same things at a lower price point.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gozinbulx posted:

It's a VideoCore4 GPU. I don't know if that is good or not.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

EC posted:

I'm guessing that they would probably scrape incorrectly, causing goofy stuff to appear in the library. I'm not sure if you can do it from the nfo file, but maybe the OP doesn't want to change his file structure around to accommodate this one thing.

Finally, someone who understands me!

They turn up as faulty entries for obscure old documentaries. Might bite the bullet and rearrange some files after all.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Finally, someone who understands me!

They turn up as faulty entries for obscure old documentaries. Might bite the bullet and rearrange some files after all.

Honestly, it would be easier than trying to make nfo files for everything. Just create folder outside your tv/movie directory and name the files something that will look sane in XBMC's file mode, then add the folder as a source. Should be relatively simple. I use it for tons of crap that doesn't fit into the normal library, like weird 3D videos or old school comedy roasts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Funny story. My wife's famlily recently had some old home movies transferred to DVD. I ended up burning an ISO of it so we could watch it in XBMC when we wanted to. The file is named FamilyMovies.ISO and then scraped it comes up as this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118840/?ref_=nv_sr_2

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Honestly, it would be easier than trying to make nfo files for everything. Just create folder outside your tv/movie directory and name the files something that will look sane in XBMC's file mode, then add the folder as a source. Should be relatively simple. I use it for tons of crap that doesn't fit into the normal library, like weird 3D videos or old school comedy roasts.

That is the approach I did for all the Disney/Pixar short film collections I have. Perhaps one day I will make an nfo and get them to all work together as a collection. Or just wait for someone to do it via the moviedb or tvdb.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Whats teh current go to android box for running XBMC? Been looking at the Amazon fire but dont like how you have to run XBMC through the settings menu.

Also is playback smooth? Currntly running it on an HTPC and want everything to be identical really.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
There's a whole thread about answering that question!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bigsteve posted:

Whats teh current go to android box for running XBMC? Been looking at the Amazon fire but dont like how you have to run XBMC through the settings menu.

Also is playback smooth? Currntly running it on an HTPC and want everything to be identical really.

I'm running it on my note 8 tablet and it virtually the same, i use re-touched on my pc and Tablet, so it looks the same.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

A real Android TV box will be out in a couple of weeks, Google's Nexus Player. Wait for that.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

A real Android TV box will be out in a couple of weeks, Google's Nexus Player. Wait for that.

I disagree.

I've had an awesome experience with an RK3188-based box known as the CS968. A user here recently bought 2 Amlogic S808-based boxes known as the M8 and also seems to have a great experience with it. I just bought one too to test it out and indeed it kicks as (and has a slightly better GPU if you wanna use it for gaming)

These things run legit smooth as hell and decode any 1080p 8 gig monster file you can throw at it.

Conclusion: Any android TV box running a quad core processor (RK3188 or S802). No dual core boxes!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gozinbulx posted:

I disagree.

I've had an awesome experience with an RK3188-based box known as the CS968. A user here recently bought 2 Amlogic S808-based boxes known as the M8 and also seems to have a great experience with it. I just bought one too to test it out and indeed it kicks as (and has a slightly better GPU if you wanna use it for gaming)

These things run legit smooth as hell and decode any 1080p 8 gig monster file you can throw at it.

Conclusion: Any android TV box running a quad core processor (RK3188 or S802). No dual core boxes!

The Google Nexus Player is a quad core Atom CPU and should have a fairly decent GPU to boot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

FireTV is probably the best hardware you can buy for XBMC short of an intel-based solution. It's also fanless and the status LED isn't so bright you can read by it.

You can run XBMC from the main apps screen using Llama, I followed these instructions and it works like a charm

Playback is really smooth, the 18GB Starwars "Unspecialized Edition" 720p has zero issues, also a my other largest video a 12GB 1080p video runs at a solid 30fps (38 according to the transparent overlay)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fxhqEmdyYQ

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 29, 2014

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
24p playback is still a no-go on Android, right? Do we know if it comes with the official Google Nexus Player yet?

Perhaps I'm just :spergin:, but after I got used to 24p it is very annoying going with out it. I have a FireTV running XBMC for my old 60Hz bedroom TV and it is great, but during the trial run I couldn't handle the 3:2 stutter on my nice set at all.

It would be a shame since everything else works so nicely on the FireTV, but no 24p pretty much cinches a NUC for my upcoming HTPC replacement on the nice set...

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I found a 1st gen Apple TV at goodwill the other day. It loads up fine but it seems to crash out or only display sound on the video clips I streamed or transferred over. Apparently, I need a crystalHD decoder card to make the thing worth while. I tried making an XBMC bootstick but the app failed when it couldn't read my USB stick. IS it worth futzing the thing or is it just too old? I mainly want to use it as a streaming box but that seems like a no go. I don't really want to crack the thing open and mess around either. I'm thinking of just selling it on ebay and getting something with a little more horsepower.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

SnatchRabbit posted:

I found a 1st gen Apple TV at goodwill the other day. It loads up fine but it seems to crash out or only display sound on the video clips I streamed or transferred over. Apparently, I need a crystalHD decoder card to make the thing worth while. I tried making an XBMC bootstick but the app failed when it couldn't read my USB stick. IS it worth futzing the thing or is it just too old? I mainly want to use it as a streaming box but that seems like a no go. I don't really want to crack the thing open and mess around either. I'm thinking of just selling it on ebay and getting something with a little more horsepower.

I still have mine set up for SD content for my son. Seems to work just fine. A little slow at startup, but not terrible. I also don't have the CrystalHD, just doing software decoding.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
With Finless 1.8 ROM for the M8 box, you can set the refresh rate to 24z.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fancy_Lad posted:

24p playback is still a no-go on Android, right? Do we know if it comes with the official Google Nexus Player yet?

Perhaps I'm just :spergin:, but after I got used to 24p it is very annoying going with out it. I have a FireTV running XBMC for my old 60Hz bedroom TV and it is great, but during the trial run I couldn't handle the 3:2 stutter on my nice set at all.

It would be a shame since everything else works so nicely on the FireTV, but no 24p pretty much cinches a NUC for my upcoming HTPC replacement on the nice set...

Ill see if i can load up xbmc on my android tv tonight and see if a 24p video works properly.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Gozinbulx posted:

With Finless 1.8 ROM for the M8 box, you can set the refresh rate to 24z.

Are the M8's pretty good? Looking for a simple solution for someone to use XBMC and these are looking good.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

I disagree.

I wrote this a couple pages back but you didn't respond:

-----------------

Gozinbulx posted:

Also, Netflix is definitely not stuck on 480p.

So do these Android boxes run a special Netflix app unique to them or is it just the tablet version of the app from the Play Store?

I noticed the Netflix website says:

quote:

Resolution: Android tablets currently support streaming in 480p. Netflix HD playback is available on select KitKat (Android OS 4.4) based devices.

Or are these Android boxes some of the select KitKat devices? From my Googling it seems that the Android boxes are locked to 480p.

-----------------

Everything I've read on forums from owners of these devices says that these Android boxes are stuck on 480p because it's essentially just running the phone/tablet version of the app which according to Neflix is 480p.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
That's a loving terrible limitation for a device that is supposed to be a multimedia machine. What is Netflix's reason for this? Have they ever said why?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FlyingCheese posted:

That's a loving terrible limitation for a device that is supposed to be a multimedia machine. What is Netflix's reason for this? Have they ever said why?

Cause those poo poo android sticks are effectively phones without the radio hardware.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Don Lapre posted:

Cause those poo poo android sticks are effectively phones without the radio hardware.

I was referring more towards tablets, which are usually able to handle HD content just fine.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FlyingCheese posted:

Netflix uses in-house DRM and streaming technology for mobile devices that relies on a certain combination of hardware and OS support and for HD streams those requirements are higher. Notice it says "certain" KitKat devices for HD streams.

As Don Lapre says, a lot of the cheapo Android sticks/boxes are basically phone hardware minus the cellular radios and to Play store apps they appear just like phones (or cheap tablets). While software like XBMC that leverages general-purpose OS decoding technology like FFMPeg can play HD fine it's a different story for commercial software like Netflix.

And let's be honest, Netflix doesn't give two shits about edge cases who use generic Android hardware to power media centers.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Actually from what I understand, the Nexus 10 KiktKat netflix is in HD. Finless's rom, coincidentally, uses a build prop as a Nexus 10. I havent gone to download the netflix off the app store but I imagine its that.

I also I dont see why it couldnt be sideloaded.

The M8 is a fantastic box. I played Dead Trigger yesterday (with a gamepad) on high graphics setting. Didnt skip a beat and looks drat near xbox360 level.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
gently caress. The iPlayer add-on just stopped. I knew the BBC were changing how it works but figured it would be OK. Suppose I will have to wait till its fixed.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
So I got my XBMC patchstick working. Looks like my AppleTV is all jailbroken, but when I go to the launcher and the download option to get XBMC I get an error trying 10.1 or 11. Are those just dead links now?

edit: hurray! did a little googling and managed to SSH into the appletv and install XBMC11. Now is there a way to just have the appleTV boot into XBMC by default?
edit 2: nm got it.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 30, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm sorry to continue pimping these things but I put the game BombSquad on my M8 last night, playing with a generic wired gamepad and a wireless x360 controller with the wireless receiver and not only did it look great but it was the most fun I've had playing a game, on any platform, in a long time. My fiance and I stayed up till 2am playing it.

The gaming potential on these things is huge, minus the dearth of gamepad/non-touch supported games. Emulators, games like this, and cloud services like OnLive really make it incredible.

Oh yeah and XBMC.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
edit: nevermind I'm an idiot

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 1, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm the one who purchased the two M8's

I can't comment on netflix with out of the box capability, as I'm Canadian, and gently caress Canadian netflix.

for everything else, 1080p/60hz is all I can choose, however apparently 24hz support is available via custom software. I haven't looked into it yet as the M8 is currently for upstairs viewing.

As for downstairs I currently run 60hz because my projector has a bug which fucks up the viewing of Side-by-side 3d content when in 24hz mode.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

jonathan posted:

I'm the one who purchased the two M8's

I can't comment on netflix with out of the box capability, as I'm Canadian, and gently caress Canadian netflix.

for everything else, 1080p/60hz is all I can choose, however apparently 24hz support is available via custom software. I haven't looked into it yet as the M8 is currently for upstairs viewing.

As for downstairs I currently run 60hz because my projector has a bug which fucks up the viewing of Side-by-side 3d content when in 24hz mode.

Do yourself a favor and grab some USB gamepad and play BombSquad.

Also finless's rom is way snappier that what mine was shipped with.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gozinbulx posted:

Do yourself a favor and grab some USB gamepad and play BombSquad.

Also finless's rom is way snappier that what mine was shipped with.

Tried using finless's rom, couldn't get it to boot passed the booting image (the galaxy picture thing)

Then I tried JustMe's rom which worked fine. Interface looks a bit different and maybe more professional. Also the box identifies itself as a Nexus 10 device, allowing for HD Netflix client. It also does 24hz now. Apparently there is still an issue with interlacing on some videos. It's not always repeatable. Any suggestions for a decent gamepad ? Honestly I don't even know if I need another game console. I already don't play a x360 or a PS4. Just waiting for Grand Theft Auto to launch for PS4

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 3, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Get a wireless receiver for your X360 controller: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

I bought one of those "fakes" and it didn't work for poo poo. The range was terrible, it was a pain the in the rear end to get connected, lost connection with the controller. I had to return it and get an "official" wireless adapter. Works great now.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Authentic-Wireless-Pc-Receiver-Windows/dp/B00FAS1WDG

edit: rofl, you did link to a real one, the first review says its fake but its not. Anyway steer clear of the fakes.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 3, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yep. I sprang for the real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

r0ck0 posted:

I bought one of those "fakes" and it didn't work for poo poo. The range was terrible, it was a pain the in the rear end to get connected, lost connection with the controller. I had to return it and get an "official" wireless adapter. Works great now.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Authentic-Wireless-Pc-Receiver-Windows/dp/B00FAS1WDG

edit: rofl, you did link to a real one, the first review says its fake but its not. Anyway steer clear of the fakes.

I had an old official one that died on me so I bought one of the cheap fake ones. It worked great for half of my controllers, but 2 of my controllers will not stay connected to it for poo poo (and it's always the same 2 controllers that have the issue). Ended up buying another official one and all the controllers work again.