Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Last christmas I got an art test with a "have it in by say January 3rd" so spent my entire christmas including Christmas Day working feverishly on it. Handed it in, they said it was by far the best test they'd recieved for the position. Still didn't get the job. Wish I had just enjoyed my christmas.

Hey, Christmas break art test buddy! Here's an entire week of my 2 week vacation one year:

Edit: I didn't get the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Nice, looks pretty wildstar, I like it!

I'd show mine but it's full of that company's name and logo. I still think they're an ace company and would like to work for them I just wish I had enjoyed my christmas haha.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aye. I would've enjoyed working on Wildstar as well!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ceebee posted:

gently caress art tests by the way. I missed all of PAX East which I bought tickets for because of one. Three, loving, days.

And I didn't even get the job :smith:

For a Junior or Intern it might make sense but the last two companies I applied to luckily didn't make me take one. Plus, I ended up at a much better studio in the end, that didn't basically shut down like the one I had applied to did.

concerned mom posted:

Last christmas I got an art test with a "have it in by say January 3rd" so spent my entire christmas including Christmas Day working feverishly on it. Handed it in, they said it was by far the best test they'd recieved for the position. Still didn't get the job. Wish I had just enjoyed my christmas.

Is there a reason you don't tell these people to hold the gently caress up, you are busy?

I've never collected unemployment (yet) so I can't really relate to being desperate for a job to the point where I'd burn vacation time, but I feel like the first step in the interview process for myself would be "see if they are going to be pricks about the art test deadline" because if they don't respect your time before they hire you, they certainly aren't going to afterwards.

As for working on Wildstar, looks like you dodged a big layoff by never working there :v:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

As for working on Wildstar, looks like you dodged a big layoff by never working there :v:

Dodged that bullet is probably the most appropriate euphemism.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

OwlFancier posted:

Further, how do you get through a degree in computer science without being able to write the most basic of programs to output a numerical sequence? Don't they have like, tests and poo poo at the end you need to do? I had to build a level from scratch with a 10k word set of illustrated documentation about it and give a video presentation for half an hour for my final project. What's computer science if not, well, being able to do computer stuff?
I don't know how they get students that can't even write a loop, but I'd imagine that it's just quickly forgotten from lack of use if they're not someone that programs on their own time. A lot of CS programs have a heavy academic/research focus rather than a focus on using existing concepts to solve problems, and it's really easy to get away with forgetting things when courses are structured in a way that only the most recent lecture's material is particularly relevant until the final exam.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

For years I was given the advice "apply for it anyway! It'll get you on the company's radar!" when positions opened up I was nowhere near qualified for. Strangely enough, I absolutely never got called back by those companies for any other positions! That was advice more than one person gave me, though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard a variant on it as a young idiot.
Well, it's stupid advice at that extreme, but there is some truth in it. Most positions have overstated qualifications compared to what the company will be willing to hire. I think that the healthy thing to do is apply to anything that you think that you could actually do, but make sure that your opinion of what you could do has some bearing on reality.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Is there a reason you don't tell these people to hold the gently caress up, you are busy?

I've never collected unemployment (yet) so I can't really relate to being desperate for a job to the point where I'd burn vacation time, but I feel like the first step in the interview process for myself would be "see if they are going to be pricks about the art test deadline" because if they don't respect your time before they hire you, they certainly aren't going to afterwards.

It was for a company I really like and I wanted to seem keen and motivated etc. Which I was. Just in hindsight..

I have a new job now anyway (after another test!) so it's all good.

Edit: oh yeah I forgot i already did de-brand it.

Now I look back on it tt's clearly not the best model in the world ever but y'know art test deadlines n all that.

http://www.mattisaac.co.uk/portfolio/french_revolution_workflow.pdf

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 29, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

I was a graduating senior with nothing but internships on my resume and no titles shipped. :v:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Attention: Talented goons looking for work, I've got three remote, paid job openings for you guys. Environment Artist/Spriter, Concept Artist/Illustrator and a Character Animator.

Alonso Martin is looking for a few talented artists to work on Heart Forth, Alicia - A game we're publishing here at Chucklefish. Thought I'd give you a heads up!

" Chucklefish Blog posted:

Heart Forth, Alicia’s 32-bit/Playstation era art style is already well-established, so we need an artist with the ability to emulate the existing sprite style and animations. Creativity and input are welcome, and we have no problem with our artist flexing the style a bit and coming up with their own designs.

We’ve got openings for the following roles:

Environment Artist / Spriter

paid contract
remote work
minimum 5 years experience in similar role
ability to match HFA’s existing style
job includes 5 or 6 environments (tiles, decorations, backgrounds)

Concept Artist/Illustrator

paid contract
remote work
work on promotional materials like: digital wallpapers, posters, book/cd covers

Character Animator

paid contract
remote work
to work on enemy/NPC sprites with fluid animations

Original job posting here.

Please email your portfolio and CV to: spriter@alonsomartin.mx

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Brackhar posted:

I'd write a story about the chef at King's Landing, 'cause gently caress if that guy doesn't already have entire chapters dedicated to his feasts.

Castle Black is what I went with. It's not detailed in book 3 and you have franchise characters to work with and big, obvious battle sequences and epic game vista's to work into it.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i dont believe this is an actual test, please tell me this isnt a real test

I was applying to work on a game set in the Game of Thrones universe so there was at least some context. But, yeah, it was fairly traumatic. Getting to the point where you've written like... 13 thousand words and realising that you're not going to have time to get to 15,000 and do a redraft is the difficult moment when you're like 'do i hit the requirements, or do i send in something that's been read over at least once?'

You'd be amazed at how many sentences can end mid-thought when you're reading a few chapters of an epic fantasy novel between vomiting pages of text onto a google docs screen.

Sion fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 29, 2014

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Sion posted:

I was applying to work on a game set in the Game of Thrones universe so there was at least some context.

If it's any consolation, you didn't really want to work at any of the studios with the GoT license.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I just wanna make stories for games, and audiologs for wikia editors to obsess over. Is that really so much to ask?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
When you play the game of thrones, you either meet your word count, or you die.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leif. posted:

When you play the game of thrones, you either meet your word count, or you die.

RIP GRRM, he missed his word count

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

devilmouse posted:

If it's any consolation, you didn't really want to work at any of the studios with the GoT license.

Are telltame games particularly bad?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Are telltame games particularly bad?

Oh jeez - I totally forgot that they had the license too (that makes at least 4? places). My bad! I have no feelings pro or con towards TT!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't know how they get students that can't even write a loop, but I'd imagine that it's just quickly forgotten from lack of use if they're not someone that programs on their own time. A lot of CS programs have a heavy academic/research focus rather than a focus on using existing concepts to solve problems, and it's really easy to get away with forgetting things when courses are structured in a way that only the most recent lecture's material is particularly relevant until the final exam.
There's thousands of students out there in CS degrees because that's what the school offered who REALLY want Software Engineering degrees, but don't even know that that's A Thing. CS degrees churn out way too many people who came for job skills and left with theory because nobody pointed them in the right direction. :(

Sigma-X posted:

Most places will be accommodating to this, but I've missed at least 2 positions due to delay. One place, the recruiter dicked around and didn't forward my stuff, so I got a nice "You did really well but we already hired somebody". The other place really liked me, but wanted to interview more candidates, and then got put on a hiring freeze while another product came out.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Chernabog posted:

In other news...
This is my game. There are many like it, but this one is mine. :neckbeard:

Nothing flashy compared to the AAA stuff you guys work on but I think it turned out pretty well all things considered. I made all the art and game design and a little bit of production. It's in Spanish but it's completely free if you want to check it out.

Hah, will definitely have to give it a spin. Am I getting this wrong or are you also working in Mexico?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yep :)
I think I even asked you about Squad about a year and a half ago.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Chernabog posted:

Yep :)
I think I even asked you about Squad about a year and a half ago.

Yes you did! Nice to see you going at it. Next thing you know we'll have a game dev scene here down here. :v:

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
My first "game thing that is not a game" just went live as Open Beta (the Dragon Age Keep) :woop:

Coming off of nearly a decade spent working with build pipelines and toolsets to doing a full web application has been a fairly large shift in some ways, and very similar in others.

Either way though, it's been interesting to work with an entirely different area of game development :)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
We are hiring as well, for a variety of positions (programmers, artists, designers).

It's a good place to work...just sayin'. :)

http://ravensoftware.com/careers

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

It wasn't so much a hard set deadline, it was just a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I wanted to get something to them ASAP in hopes they'd give me a job. I was even fairly sure I would get the gig since I was friends with the lead there and he knew I was a hard worker/eager beaver. But yeah, sounds like me and concerned mom both skipped a potentially short-lived job anyways so it all works out.

I figured foregoing $170 worth of tickets to PAX East would've been worth it if I got the job. But it wasn't. I'm mostly just bitter I didn't get to go to PAX East cause the position turned out to not last very long anyways lol

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Re: Art Test Chat, it's a little disheartening to know that I'm in for a ton more weekends sweating bullets and cancelling plans in order to desperately try and churn out something even vaguely representative of my typical quality.

I recently did just that trying to get a Jr Artist position. Didn't get it. But I'm only a 2nd year student, so the fact that I even got past initial screening was encouraging.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Makes sense for your first industry gig. Art tests are definitely good if you don't have a good sized portfolio and at least a game under your belt. I've only done 2 art tests in my career and I've got 3 years in the industry so far, so it's not super necessary but you will encounter them.

Best thing you can do to avoid art tests is have a huge variety of styles of work to show that you can do a good amount of things and do them well. But do not spread yourself too thin, studies and practice are key, but so is actually finishing art projects.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

aas Bandit posted:

We are hiring as well, for a variety of positions (programmers, artists, designers).

The html on that page is stupidly broken, http://ravensoftware.com//job-listing/ this page has actual job listings though. But I had to look at the HTML source to find that out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rawrbomb posted:

The html on that page is stupidly broken, http://ravensoftware.com//job-listing/ this page has actual job listings though. But I had to look at the HTML source to find that out.

It's part of the test, clearly!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aas Bandit posted:

You know I thought Raven closed its doors a while back?

You guys make good games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

OwlFancier posted:

You know I thought Raven closed its doors a while back?

You guys make good games.
Ditto. After Singularity bombed, I got the impression you guys were on the ropes. Looks like you moved into contracting on MW, or is there still original IP work going on too (assuming you can say)?

I would dearly love another Wolverine-style wotsit. Still one of my all time favorite action games. Yeah, Wolverine as the character was part of it, but the GAMEPLAY, man, that's what made it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shalinor posted:

Ditto. After Singularity bombed, I got the impression you guys were on the ropes. Looks like you moved into contracting on MW, or is there still original IP work going on too (assuming you can say)?

I would dearly love another Wolverine-style wotsit. Still one of my all time favorite action games. Yeah, Wolverine as the character was part of it, but the GAMEPLAY, man, that's what made it.

For me it's the Jedi Knight games, Quake 4, and Wolfenstein 2009. I always had the feeling that someone at Raven was stuck in a time capsule from the late 90's/early 2000s and hadn't realized that games had moved on, so they were still churning out stuff in the vein of Unreal and Half Life, really traditional and good shooters with great campaigns. But at the same time they did adopt modern FPS components, just conservatively and integrated them into the older style really well. I'd put quite a few Raven games up against Half Life as examples of really incredible designs that work astonishingly well.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 30, 2014

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

uglynoodles posted:

Re: Art Test Chat, it's a little disheartening to know that I'm in for a ton more weekends sweating bullets and cancelling plans in order to desperately try and churn out something even vaguely representative of my typical quality.

I recently did just that trying to get a Jr Artist position. Didn't get it. But I'm only a 2nd year student, so the fact that I even got past initial screening was encouraging.

I think it's great you're already applying for studios in your second year; it shows a lot of initiative. It also gets a lot easier to not be subjected to art tests after your first gig (I guess also depending on hiring practices at the studios you're looking at).

I have done a single art test in my 6ish-7ish years in some form of the game industry (PC/AAA/social/mobile); it was for a contract position that I was offered, but turned down due to other commitments. The rest of my interviews/hires were on the good graces of my references from previous studios and/or being local to the particular studios I was applying to. I think it also helps that my current portfolio is tailored towards social/mobile, and that social popped up overnight as I was graduating in 2009. It created a bunch of new jobs in the area, and it became a bit easier to enter as a full time junior artist.

If you're just breaking in as an artist (or I guess anyone)--
-Look for local opportunities.
-If you're in school, go for an internship, whenever possible. Sometimes local game devs teach classes - take those classes and do a good job. They often have insight into internship opportunities with their studios, and making a good impression on the prof will help a ton with getting extra eyeballs on your resume/portfolio.
-Tailor your portfolio to your end game; if the studio you want to work for does sci-fi, demonstrate you can do sci-fi in your portfolio.
-Make a good impression, don't burn bridges, do good work when you get the job, etc.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also, try and get some freelance towards the end of your schooling. I got freelance before I graduated from school and it's good to know how to deal with working with clients/studios outside of them. It was also pretty much my foot in the door to other opportunities and friends. When you send out your first invoice you'll feel like a total badass too.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

uglynoodles posted:

Honestly if you're in your 2nd year and applying now I just want to say please do your 3rd year. It probably won't affect your career much at all, but I've spoken to a few people who dropped out and have always regretted it. This isn't even really a games jobs post, just really think about whether or not you want to be applying for jobs now.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

It is a difficult thing honestly, because I'm really struggling for money. I'm able to do a few commissions here or there, but it's not really stuff I'm able to put in my portfolio, and stuff I'd rather move away from doing. (Think DeviantArt level I'll draw your stupid fan character for you stuff) I'm surviving off a student loan and the support of my partner, so I feel really guilty about not being able to contribute much fiscally.
Still, I'm in 2/3 years in and I'm doing well so it would be nice to get the piece of paper, even if it won't matter much in the face of my portfolio.

I've done an internship locally, that was a lot of fun. The job I applied for was at the company I interned with. I was personally asked to apply for it, which felt very nice indeed. :)

I'm not going to be applying for more until I'm done the course, but I am going to try and get more internships in the summer.
If any of you fellas know of places in the Northwest UK that would be willing to have me around their offices this summer, please do get in touch. jamie@labmonkey.co

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 30, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Anyone have any familiarity with a Florida studio called Darkside Games? After hearing that some studios will brandish firearms at you, I figured it's good to find out if that's the case from the thread. :)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

theflyingorc posted:

Anyone have any familiarity with a Florida studio called Darkside Games? After hearing that some studios will brandish firearms at you, I figured it's good to find out if that's the case from the thread. :)

It's in Florida? I think brandishing weapons is just how they say hello there.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Yo just saying that I kind of loved Singularity.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I know people there that I like and respect, I can ask.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
If it makes folks feel better, game companies still ask for art tests even from people with 10+ years of experience.

Honestly I think it's just protocol for some game companies and people don't even think about it. Especially if it's a big studio who's mainly interested in people that really, really, really want to be there instead of just doing a job they're good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Buckwheat Sings posted:

If it makes folks feel better, game companies still ask for art tests even from people with 10+ years of experience.

Honestly I think it's just protocol for some game companies and people don't even think about it. Especially if it's a big studio who's mainly interested in people that really, really, really want to be there instead of just doing a job they're good at.
I'm sure everybody knows at least one person who has stumbled into a 10-year-plus career despite being absolutely horrible at their job, you need at least some testing.

The real problem is when you're trying to carpet resumes, because nobody wants 3 tests in a two week period.