Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Himuro posted:

Nice bulge.

It was the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I've had weird frame drops at times, like for some reason it starts getting jaggy for 10 seconds whenever I get one of those "Kotaru Fuma has begun to advance towards the leader" ninja events.

Oh that's just the game being meta, like Metal Gear Solid :v:

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
SW4 weapon question again, is there a limit to the amount of weapons (well versions of the same weapon with different skills) that one character can have? about 8 fills the screen, will there be a second page or will extra weapons picked up just get dumped?

loving SW4 so far. does anyone have any shots of how the registered images work in the musou etc?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Chewy Bitems posted:

SW4 weapon question again, is there a limit to the amount of weapons (well versions of the same weapon with different skills) that one character can have? about 8 fills the screen, will there be a second page or will extra weapons picked up just get dumped?

8 is the limit. If you have more than that at the end of a fight, you're prompted to melt down the excess for money and gems.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Maleketh posted:

8 is the limit. If you have more than that at the end of a fight, you're prompted to melt down the excess for money and gems.
excellent, thanks for the heads up.

I prefer the weapon system in SW4 than in DW8. Variety is good fun but in SW4 it makes the individual characters more important. I find it more fun in this to try out a new character for the first time.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Chewy Bitems posted:

I prefer the weapon system in SW4 than in DW8. Variety is good fun but in SW4 it makes the individual characters more important. I find it more fun in this to try out a new character for the first time.

I like them both, though SW4 is occasionally a dick when it gives you a character for every stage of a campaign - except the last one. It's about the only think I really dislike about the game, because when I'm right at the end of a story, going back to grind is not something I want to do.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I hate that we can't get Kotaro Fuma's weapon for CAWs. I lugged that jerk around for so long just so I could steal his weapon and dump him off to the side, but nooo. The jerk.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BenRGamer posted:

I hate that we can't get Kotaro Fuma's weapon for CAWs. I lugged that jerk around for so long just so I could steal his weapon and dump him off to the side, but nooo. The jerk.

Wait, really? Are there any other limitations in what weapons CAWs can wield? I'd like to know before investing too much into any given character (though it's seeming like raising friendships isn't particularly hard anyways).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I don't think CAWs have been able to use Kotaro's weapon in any of the games. He's the only one though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I tried putting Lemmy as my Muso picture and it is glorious. You can put any picture as long as it's no bigger than 1024x1024 pixels.

And here is a google docs page from gamefaqs with some of the answers for the scholar

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Kotaro's moveset usually involves limbs stretching, so it's something only a true ninja could do!

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
The question is, which sort of direction should the devs go when it comes to weapon selection? DW8 allowed for all weapons to be used, with Ex attacks being the only difference for an individual officer. SW4 allowed you to reforge a weapon into a type the character uses. Personally I'd like to see them still have the option of all weapon types, but give Ex attacks to more than one weapon, or some other benefit to sticking with a particular weapon. Would be more fitting as you often see characters using a second weapon in their musou, like Shangxiang with a bow or Guan Xing using his father's polearm.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Today I wanted to do some grinding in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and I vaguely recalled the "Speed is of the Essence" DLC level was a good place to do this. So I brought in my level 1 character with a big star weapon and was going "Man I'm getting so many levels and weapon boost, this is great!"

...until I saw the clock tick down and I remembered it was a timed stage where you fail if you don't beat Orochi X before time runs out, and I ended up wasting 15 minutes and got nothing for it. :negative:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toothache posted:

The question is, which sort of direction should the devs go when it comes to weapon selection? DW8 allowed for all weapons to be used, with Ex attacks being the only difference for an individual officer. SW4 allowed you to reforge a weapon into a type the character uses. Personally I'd like to see them still have the option of all weapon types, but give Ex attacks to more than one weapon, or some other benefit to sticking with a particular weapon. Would be more fitting as you often see characters using a second weapon in their musou, like Shangxiang with a bow or Guan Xing using his father's polearm.

I don't see the point in letting any character use every weapon; that just seems contrary to the whole purpose of having so many characters in the first place. I like the system in SW4 in theory, I just wish upgrading was more substantial and that drops weren't poo poo.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Man, I realize I probably don't understand japanese culture at all. Why am I brushing Mitsuhide's hair and getting piggyback rides down a mountain? (Chronicle mode is a strange beast)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because he has such lovely hair.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Drakenel posted:

Man, I realize I probably don't understand japanese culture at all. Why am I brushing Mitsuhide's hair and getting piggyback rides down a mountain? (Chronicle mode is a strange beast)

The real question is why wouldn't you?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Drakenel posted:

These games represent Japanese period culture about as well as Twin Peaks represents the culture of a small northwestern American town.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

5er posted:

These games represent Japanese period culture about as well as Twin Peaks represents the culture of a small northwestern American town.

So, eerily close then? :v:

Actually, that is kind of fitting. They both take the quirks of a certain culture and ramp them up to ridiculous levels. In Twin Peaks you get Log Lady and in SW4 you get Hisahide Matsunaga as fabulous Spider-Man with a thing for tea kettles.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chronicle mode is pretty ridiculous. first i went cooking with tokugawa and then i went walking with aya (i think?) while that rear end in a top hat with the glasses randomly started negging her. also okuni is basically a western witch and scar guy can't say more then two words and has another guy to craft ridiculous speeches.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Static Rook posted:

So, eerily close then? :v:

Actually, that is kind of fitting. They both take the quirks of a certain culture and ramp them up to ridiculous levels. In Twin Peaks you get Log Lady and in SW4 you get Hisahide Matsunaga as fabulous Spider-Man with a thing for tea kettles.

Yup. You get everyone inappropriately pretty for their context, lots of unsettling innuendo, and an inordinate amount of violence, also.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Chronicle mode loving owns.

Does a lion or tiger or train?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I need a bit of help/clarification: can I do anything to increase my NPCs longevity/fighting chances? I was trying to clear "Battle of Yan Province": first on Hard, and although I was progressing mostly fine, if a bit slow, my NPC (Nemea, Ayane and Diaochan, the recommended team) were constantly getting in trouble and being defeated. So I tried on Normal, and the moment Demon Army reinforcements arrive Nemea gets in trouble, then a second later his on a verge of defeat and then dies before I could even get to him. So I finally conceded defeat and tried it on Easy, but the same situation keeps repeating itself and I'm tired of it. Choosing the recommended team does not change much, because some other NPCs become vital.

So the question is: other than babying them and being quicker with my help is there anything I can do? Does raising their levels or giving their equipment helps at all? Am I cursed to simply try the same thing again and again?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

I need a bit of help/clarification: can I do anything to increase my NPCs longevity/fighting chances? I was trying to clear "Battle of Yan Province": first on Hard, and although I was progressing mostly fine, if a bit slow, my NPC (Nemea, Ayane and Diaochan, the recommended team) were constantly getting in trouble and being defeated. So I tried on Normal, and the moment Demon Army reinforcements arrive Nemea gets in trouble, then a second later his on a verge of defeat and then dies before I could even get to him. So I finally conceded defeat and tried it on Easy, but the same situation keeps repeating itself and I'm tired of it. Choosing the recommended team does not change much, because some other NPCs become vital.

So the question is: other than babying them and being quicker with my help is there anything I can do? Does raising their levels or giving their equipment helps at all? Am I cursed to simply try the same thing again and again?

Are you talking about the other members of your team? If so, I usually leave them stowed away most of the time. Also, don't bother with the recommended teams - it's just a suite of characters who are relevant to the stage. I find it's better to stick to three characters you like and keep leveling them, since there's no penalty for doing so.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Maleketh posted:

Are you talking about the other members of your team? If so, I usually leave them stowed away most of the time. Also, don't bother with the recommended teams - it's just a suite of characters who are relevant to the stage. I find it's better to stick to three characters you like and keep leveling them, since there's no penalty for doing so.

I mean the NPCs who roam the map and offer Missions - they keep getting killed and I can't save them in time. I don't really let my partners out, I'd rather use the gauge for Musou and Special attacks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think Kojuro Katakura has turned me gay. Well, gayer.

I have no idea how his weapon actually works though, it just seems to shoot out coloured crap at random.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

I mean the NPCs who roam the map and offer Missions - they keep getting killed and I can't save them in time. I don't really let my partners out, I'd rather use the gauge for Musou and Special attacks.

Then I don't know what to tell you. Their stats are fixed, so giving them items and levels won't do anything, but I rarely, if ever, have to worry about a major character dropping unless I really drag my rear end. The best advice I can give is to be brisk: don't stop to kill mooks if there's an objective, and complete your objectives as quickly as possible. If someone's struggling, you might have to turn around and save them, but for the most part they can take care of themselves. Also, don't forget that you have a horse; even the basic horses will get you around the battlefield much faster than running.

If you're still having trouble, remember than you can make interim saves during battle. They can save you a lot of headache if you're about to try something risky or you don't know where you'll need to be next.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah Battle of Yan Province, I had trouble with that one too at first.

As far as I can tell Kasumi isn't in any danger of getting defeated until you reach her and the cutscene plays. When the stage starts, beat the officers in the center of the map, that'll help a little. After you beat Tangleweb and the gates open, call your horse and rush down to the southwest garrison and beat the officers there to stop the reinforcments. Once you beat them, your main camp is probably being swarmed by the reinforcements that already arrived, so shoot up north real quick, beat Coachwhip to open the gates, and then rush towards the main camp and beat the officers there.

Once you've done that beat any other stray officers in the north area of the map, and you should be good to go to run down to Kasumi without any worries. I usually save after the cutscene plays, since the first couple of times I tried the stage Kasumi got bugged and wouldn't jump off the bridge for the assault.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

I think Kojuro Katakura has turned me gay. Well, gayer.

I have no idea how his weapon actually works though, it just seems to shoot out coloured crap at random.
Yeah, I have been wondering that as well. I think it's a swordgun embedded in a shield, but it seems to be magic as well. Unless I'm forgetting something, it's definitely the most confusing Musou weapon yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anyone know of a reliable way to get supply captains to show up in chronicle mode?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah Battle of Yan Province, I had trouble with that one too at first.

As far as I can tell Kasumi isn't in any danger of getting defeated until you reach her and the cutscene plays. When the stage starts, beat the officers in the center of the map, that'll help a little. After you beat Tangleweb and the gates open, call your horse and rush down to the southwest garrison and beat the officers there to stop the reinforcments. Once you beat them, your main camp is probably being swarmed by the reinforcements that already arrived, so shoot up north real quick, beat Coachwhip to open the gates, and then rush towards the main camp and beat the officers there.

Once you've done that beat any other stray officers in the north area of the map, and you should be good to go to run down to Kasumi without any worries. I usually save after the cutscene plays, since the first couple of times I tried the stage Kasumi got bugged and wouldn't jump off the bridge for the assault.

Thanks, I 'll try that. I think my problem might also be that I concentrated on raising proficiency for a bunch of character I never use (to obtain their cards) and don't have a dedicated strong party. Oh well, there's plenty of stages for grinding, if that's the case.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Also of note: Toshiie trying to imitate Keiji and getting Kiyomasa to go :stare: Ina dueling me to a draw despite me whupping her rear end in battle about a dozen times. Nobuyuki sanada giving all kinds of incest vibes. Getting to have villainous laughter alongside Nobunaga. Having no choice but to throw flowers at oichi despite knowing drat well she's married, and throwing a tantrum when she pretends to not hear you proclaim your love at first sight. (What the hell?)

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay how the gently caress do you beat Battle of Itsukushima in WO3U? :psyduck: That's the stage where as soon as you start, the entire battlefield gets covered with a poison mist and you have to go with Fu Xi to the Dragon Shrine all the way on the other side of the map. The Mystic Army splits in two, and if either Fu Xi or Kaguya die, it's a defeat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay how the gently caress do you beat Battle of Itsukushima in WO3U? :psyduck: That's the stage where as soon as you start, the entire battlefield gets covered with a poison mist and you have to go with Fu Xi to the Dragon Shrine all the way on the other side of the map. The Mystic Army splits in two, and if either Fu Xi or Kaguya die, it's a defeat.

Be really goddamn quick and hump the back of Fu Xi's head when you're not immediately trying to murder an officer, which you need to be doing in less than 5 seconds.

By that I mean follow him around so he doesn't get murdered by peons the second he's off screen thanks to auto damage.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ahaha, yeah, that one was a pain. The key is to move as quickly as possible and trust Kaguya to survive until you can get to the shrine.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Drakenel posted:

Also of note: Toshiie trying to imitate Keiji and getting Kiyomasa to go :stare: Ina dueling me to a draw despite me whupping her rear end in battle about a dozen times. Nobuyuki sanada giving all kinds of incest vibes. Getting to have villainous laughter alongside Nobunaga. Having no choice but to throw flowers at oichi despite knowing drat well she's married, and throwing a tantrum when she pretends to not hear you proclaim your love at first sight. (What the hell?)

I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate how great Nobunaga is. 99% of his screen presence consists of him listening to someone else, saying "So it is..." and laughing before walking away. Hell, even when he's fighting Mitsuhide in a burning Honnoji, he still pretty much calls him a basic bitch, laughs, and walks away. Just the best. :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nobunaga, either as a man or as a cat, is always the greatest character in Samurai Warriors.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Ahaha, yeah, that one was a pain. The key is to move as quickly as possible and trust Kaguya to survive until you can get to the shrine.

Finally did it, but yeah that stage sucked. So many defeats due to Kaguya...

Just did Chapter 7 and man it was so much better than Chapters 5 and 6. Chapter 6 especially really dragged on too long, and I think the problem is that it didn't feel like you were accomplishing anything. During the main game, every battle you did, at least one character joins you (usually more than one), and you really feel like "Yeah one step closer to being able to beat that Hydra!"

Whereas Chapter 6 is "Hey you're in this strange world! There's clones of your friends. You beat them, but now here's this other group of people in this strange world. There's clones of their friends too! You beat them, but now here's yet another group of people in this strange world, and..."

And it was exactly the same after you beat Chapter 6 the first time. "We're going after Tamamo! Wait, there's a wacky misunderstanding due to the clones! Well, you solved that, but now here's another group of people, and there's a wacky misunderstanding due to the clones! Solved that? Well now here's yet another group..."

It was just repetitive. It didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything. It was the same thing every fight and it just felt like padding. Chapter 5 was stupidly short but at least it didn't drag on and on.

By comparison, Chapter 7 was great. Some neat backstory and it once again felt like you were accomplishing things. However, I am disappointed that Yinglong and Orochi don't have a bond and that Nezha doesn't have a bond with himself.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oi, you blighters, did this get posted earlier and I missed it somehow?

Because DW8 Empires is coming to PC.

Release date January 27.

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/dynasty-warriors-8-empires-release-date-pc-version-announced

quote:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 (digital-only), and PC via Steam on January 27 in North America and January 30 in Europe, Koei Tecmo announced.

In “Empire” mode, players can select from one of “many distinct roles” to experience history and its outcomes through a “different methodology of warfare.” Stories include that of Liu Bei, “a provincial ruler forced to wander the land in search of a home,” or Lu Bu, “an egotistical warrior who moves from one betrayal to another in search of his own glory.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

arigato koei-san