Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

ullerrm posted:

e: People joke about "remove all supercaps," but honestly, this is really tempting to propose for Tech-3 cruisers. I would be perfectly fine with CCP slicing the gordian knot and replacing each strategic cruiser with 3-4 tactical cruisers that roughly corresponded to the common uses of each hull. Refund subsystem SP skills, and write it off as a learning experience.

I agree there. On top of that they seem to be better at doing everything even when compared to ships who's only purpose is that task.

They have more tank and damage than a battleship (not on-paper damage but practical damage)
They are better for probing than the covert ops
They better at boosting than the command ships (shut up, yes they are)
They are better than Recons at tackling.
Not to mention being better than all the other cruisers in all forms of regular combat.

All the other ships in Eve are specialized. They are great at something and then have a counter but the T3s have a ton of everything and excel at everything.

Maybe people should lose more subsystem skills when they die. Like all of them that matches the ship.

Voyager I posted:

That's why the Devoter is the objectively superior Hictor. It has the best buffer of them all and is free to use its midslots for ECCM or cap injectors or whatever else it needs.

To be fair we'd need to judge Armour and Shield Hictors on their own. Comparing the Devoter to the Broadsword is not really fair unless it's viable to bring Devoters to a shield fleet over Broadswords.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Voyager I posted:

That's why the Devoter is the objectively superior Hictor. It has the best buffer of them all and is free to use its midslots for ECCM or cap injectors or whatever else it needs.

Yeah, this. We had some fun and worked up a Devoter fit that has ~12.6m peak Explosive EHP overheated. Granted its unrealistic as gently caress but good lord.

The more realistic fit still had something like 600k if I remember right, probably more.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 29, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Zephyrine posted:

My precious mids :stare:

And this is why you fly Devoters. :eng101:

code:
[Devoter, Standard Armor + Cloak]
Internal Force Field Array I
Shadow Serpentis Armor EM Hardener
Shadow Serpentis Armor Thermic Hardener
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Conjunctive Radar ECCM Scanning Array I
Medium 'Gattotte' Capacitor Booster, Navy Cap Booster 200

125mm Light 'Scout' Autocannon I, EMP S
125mm Light 'Scout' Autocannon I, EMP S
Prototype Cloaking Device I
Cynosural Field Generator I
Warp Disruption Field Generator II, Focused Warp Disruption Script

Medium Trimark Armor Pump II
Medium Trimark Armor Pump II
(I will be really angry if my Gattotte's incredible fitting requirements get hosed as part of tiericide.)

For the record, this is what I recommend to people for Broadswords -- it's not ideal, but it does pretty well.

code:
[Broadsword, 2xbubble 3xlse]
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II
Co-Processor II

Kinetic Deflection Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Medium Diminishing Power System Drain I
Auto Targeting System I
Warp Disruption Field Generator II

Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
I generally prefer the Onyx for shield fleets, though -- it has such ridiculous amounts of CPU that you can cram an expanded probe launcher onto it, which is incredibly useful.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Amarr Cruiser? Maybe next year... For now it's the Phobos!

ullerrm posted:

For the record, this is what I recommend to people for Broadswords -- it's not ideal, but it does pretty well.

code:
[Broadsword, 2xbubble 3xlse]
Damage Control II
Co-Processor II

Kinetic Deflection Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Medium Diminishing Power System Drain I
Auto Targeting System I
Warp Disruption Field Generator II

I generally prefer the Onyx for shield fleets, though -- it has such ridiculous amounts of CPU that you can cram an expanded probe launcher onto it, which is incredibly useful.

If I hand that as a killmail to Atrum. He's going to fold it into a little paper airplane, hand it back to me and suggest that I fly that into combat from now on because one piece of A4 paper will be the monthly reimbursement cap for me from now on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If literally anyone else had posted a fit that included an auto targeting system on it I would have immediately (and probably correctly) assumed they were a loving moron.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

If I hand that as a killmail to Atrum. He's going to fold it into a little paper airplane, hand it back to me and suggest that I fly that into combat from now on because one piece of A4 paper will be the monthly reimbursement cap for me from now on.

That is nearly identical to the EG Broadsword fit :allears: They use 3x PDS, and replace the nos with a second auto-targeter. Can convert between the two in a few seconds.

Oddly enough, the current Atrum post doesn't include a broadsword fit, as far as I can see. I seem to have some reference fit in EFT that does something weird about dropping the suitcase and fitting a cap power relay; I'm not sure if that's up to date.

I prefer the Onyx anyways.

e:

darth cookie posted:

If literally anyone else had posted a fit that included an auto targeting system on it I would have immediately (and probably correctly) assumed they were a loving moron.

Auto-targeters raise your ship's max lockable targets by +2, just by fitting and onlining the module. Don't have to activate it. :spergin: :spergin:

It's incredibly useful for ships that need to lock up a lot of targets at once, such as FC boats -- or tacklers. HICs have a max of 5 targets, so it's particularly useful on them.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 29, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ullerrm posted:

I'm sorry, your ship appears to have an empty Is A Giant Pink Dildo slot. That's simply not acceptable.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ullerrm posted:

That is nearly identical to the EG Broadsword fit :allears: They use 3x PDS, and replace the nos with a second auto-targeter. Can convert between the two in a few seconds.

Oddly enough, the current Atrum post doesn't include a broadsword fit, as far as I can see. I seem to have some reference fit in EFT that does something weird about dropping the suitcase and fitting a cap power relay; I'm not sure if that's up to date.

I prefer the Onyx anyways.

The only reason it turned out as Broadsword and Phobos for me is that the Cruiser skills remain from the Scimitar/Oneiros training which inadvertently also came with Huginn and Lachesis (which I ironically never get to fly anyway because Logi is always more in demand.

But the Broadsword seems to be the most popular Shield Hictor. I rarely see an Onyx.

ullerrm posted:

The guidelines seem to be Point+Cloak+MWD and the rest you can fit on your own as long as it's not a dumb fit.

ullerrm posted:

Auto-targeters raise your ship's max lockable targets by +2, just by fitting and onlining the module. Don't have to activate it. :spergin: :spergin:

It's incredibly useful for ships that need to lock up a lot of targets at once, such as FC boats -- or tacklers. HICs have a max of 5 targets, so it's particularly useful on them.

Yes it's handy but an auto-targeter is like those hats with earflaps. You can argue the usefulness all day but that still won't stop people from pointing and laughing.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephyrine posted:

The guidelines seem to be Point+Cloak+MWD and the rest you can fit on your own as long as it's not a dumb fit.
a hictor without a cyno is an objectively wrong hictor

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

a hictor without a cyno is an objectively wrong hictor

I went back to check. Certain that I missed the cyno requirement but the SRP sheet for hictors does not mention a cyno.

Skipping the cyno could save a ton of CPU on fittings :science:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't think we even get reimbursed for Onyxes. Atrum doesn't trust random goons with probes and it otherwise has a worse tank than the Broadsword thanks to Caldari's 0% EM resistance.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Voyager I posted:

I don't think we even get reimbursed for Onyxes. Atrum doesn't trust random goons with probes and it otherwise has a worse tank than the Broadsword thanks to Caldari's 0% EM resistance.

Yes you're right. The Onyx isn't even on the reimbursement sheet.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Not by much. A sane Onyx fit is 80/92/89/81 with links; the standard Broadsword fit is 90/85/88/81. It's no worse than the explosive hole on the Broadsword, and you get ridiculous T/K resists for all of those Tengus and Baltecs. Difference of 20k EHP omni.

I'm sure Atrum has a good reason for leaving them off, even if it's just "no reason to complicate matters by letting them choose."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zephyrine posted:

Yes you're right. The Onyx isn't even on the reimbursement sheet.

It should get standard T2 reimbursement though?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

We were literally discussing the possibility of throwing that all away and making the t3 cruisers like the t3 destroyers, do try to keep up.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Give Hictors ewar immunity and remove all but the non-assist penalty from activation.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ullerrm posted:

[snip]

Nerfs:
* +1sec base align time for the Hound and Manticore

So does this mean there will be at least a chance to engage Yohuun/Plukovnik, or will he still be effectively immune to all home defense efforts?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

ZekeNY posted:

So does this mean there will be at least a chance to engage Yohuun/Plukovnik, or will he still be effectively immune to all home defense efforts?

He flies maledictions, so the "nerf" to hounds and manticores will have no effect on his gameplay.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

ZekeNY posted:

Yohun/Plukovnik runs in Maledictions. You can't catch them unless they make a mistake.

It's ~elite PvP~, you see.

Edit: Dammit, beaten

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Ullerrm we miss your blog posts about obscure but interesting Eve things. Come back.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Ullerrm we miss your blog posts about obscure but interesting Eve things. Come back.

Don't make two of us beg.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

The ECMgu is pretty close to a perfect example of how Tech III "should" work. Lower jam capability but higher survivability than Tech II jam ships. Or put more broadly, a combo of two or more abilities from other ships in a unique way that makes them "usable". Web Loki & point Proteus are two other examples, same paradigm - lower electronic warfare strength (range, in this case) but significant EHP gains over their Tech II counterparts.

Rail Tengus (and missile Tengus before them) break the poo poo out of that. Its counterpart would be the Eagle, and it certainly has the EHP thing down at 2.5x that of the HAC, but trades...nothing that significantly matters. I guess the Eagle can fit an MWD and has a wee bit more range? If the comparison were more like Legion vs Zealot (Zealot does a little over 10% more DPS and can make better use of the MWD for positioning and kiting, Legion has a little over 2x the EHP, can plausibly shoot Scorch and permarun the MWD and gets a spare midslot) then...well, let's be honest we'd probably still all be flying Tengu. :smith: You get the idea though. There's room for Tech III to have an interesting niche, they just need to nerf the hell out of the best setups, bring the weaker ones up a bit and rework several subsystems entirely.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

p7hk9 posted:

Yohun/Plukovnik runs in Maledictions. You can't catch them unless they make a mistake.

It's ~elite PvP~, you see.

Edit: Dammit, beaten

Smartbombs?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

pugnax posted:

Smartbombs?

:effort:, unless you're Cowwarrior. Scrap that, it's probably become too much :effort: even for Cowwarrior unless there's a whole blob of poo poo interceptor pilots coming through.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Amberskin posted:

He flies maledictions, so the "nerf" to hounds and manticores will have no effect on his gameplay.

Serves me right -- I should have remembered that we're dealing with :ccp: after all, so of course they fix the ones that aren't broken.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

mynnna posted:

Zealot does a little over 10% more DPS and can make better use of the MWD for positioning and kiting, Legion has a little over 2x the EHP, can plausibly shoot Scorch and permarun the MWD and gets a spare midslot

Why on Earth would you be perma-running a MWD on an Armor HAC (T2 or T3), in the hayday before FYF was a thing, triple damp AB Zealots with a smattering of web loki's were the be-all-end-all of AHAC setups.

With links they were somewhere around 1100 m/s (not to shabby), could damp off ewar/hostile logi, had about 170k ehp, a ridiculously small sig (links/drugs), and the only tradeoff they really had was about 10km of projection that the zealot would have given them (which could be achieved with drugs). They also didn't die hilariously to bomb runs (well, at the time 5-6 simultaneous runs wasn't a thing).

Saying the Zealot was comparable is :catdrugs:

edit: This may or may not have involved Erebus and Ragnarok links, haven't touched one since the 'IT'S AN INVASION' days of kicking TEST's teeth in before that whole Fountain episode.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 29, 2014

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

pugnax posted:

Smartbombs?

You can catch them with smartbombs if they run directly to a gate and you have enough smartbombing ships on the correct vector to intercept them as they land. However, it only works once. After that, smart interceptor pilots start warping to range or to perches.

Paying attention is an almost 100% effective counter to roaming pairs of interceptors, but nobody is willing to do that. More content for me, I guess. :black101:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
There are also plenty of fits on the PvE forums that are outright immune to a pair of Maledictions, but people have been slow to adopt. Frankly it's embarrassing to lose an Ishtar to two Maledictions, but it happens daily in Dek - enough that people have more or less accepted it as a cost of ratting, which is pretty retarded, but there you go.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 29, 2014

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

There are also plenty of fits on the PvE forums that are outright immune to a pair of Maledictions, but people have been slow to adopt. Frankly it's embarrassing to lose an Ishtar to two Maledictions, but it happens daily in Dek - enough that people have more or less accepted it as a cost of ratting, which is pretty retarded, but there you go.

Yeah, it's just something utterly idiotic to complain about. If you are afk ratting in a loving hac, and lose it to a couple of frigates, there is no mechanical issue that needs to be addressed.

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Glory of Arioch posted:

I figure anyone who is HARD UP FOR CONTENT oughta just quit their alliance and strike out on their own. The option is always yours to take! :eng101:

I went out in a Solo Heretic after I finished my space work (Miniluv Bumper) class and got zapped by a 6man crew rolling fw space. The downside of not being in a FW plex first as a heretic kitey fit is that you land at 0 and get poo poo on. It sucked that I couldn't dictate the engagement distances, but landing on a daredevil and bros at 0 didn't even make me mad. I decided to stream it and some goon with a wormhole alt was setup with smartbombs on the way home. Saved me 6 jumps :smug:

I had to explain the fit to some retard in BOS who was just rear end blasted that I could possibly fly a dictor without a probe launcher or cloak. I've also learned from elite pvp videos on youtube that I need to fly coercers, nomens, and train a tengu link alt. I seriously do need to import more ships to solo in, because I need something to do in between Miniluv Spacework and dropping on people in deklein. Syndicate us tz is a ghost land right now.

For those of you who like prog metal and space, the old front man of Ayeron teamed up with a bunch of rad vocalists to make a space metal epic that's like 80 minutes long. (Vocalists include Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity), Russell Allen (Symphony X), Floor Jansen (ReVamp)). This small finnish metal label, Blood Music, is releasing it on Vinyl soon. I'm so fuckin' hype. Thanks europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAfTq4ZtC5s

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

p7hk9 posted:

You can catch them with smartbombs if they run directly to a gate and you have enough smartbombing ships on the correct vector to intercept them as they land. However, it only works once. After that, smart interceptor pilots start warping to range or to perches.

Paying attention is an almost 100% effective counter to roaming pairs of interceptors, but nobody is willing to do that. More content for me, I guess. :black101:

Garnoo has nailed him a few times by sitting in a forsaken hub at zero in a Jaguar. The only thing is: tanking the rats until he lands in your hub.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Very true. But I don't want to just survive him, I want to kill him.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

powers posted:

I went out in a Solo Heretic after I finished my space work (Miniluv Bumper) class and got zapped by a 6man crew rolling fw space. The downside of not being in a FW plex first as a heretic kitey fit is that you land at 0 and get poo poo on. It sucked that I couldn't dictate the engagement distances, but landing on a daredevil and bros at 0 didn't even make me mad. I decided to stream it and some goon with a wormhole alt was setup with smartbombs on the way home. Saved me 6 jumps :smug:

I had to explain the fit to some retard in BOS who was just rear end blasted that I could possibly fly a dictor without a probe launcher or cloak. I've also learned from elite pvp videos on youtube that I need to fly coercers, nomens, and train a tengu link alt. I seriously do need to import more ships to solo in, because I need something to do in between Miniluv Spacework and dropping on people in deklein. Syndicate us tz is a ghost land right now.

For those of you who like prog metal and space, the old front man of Ayeron teamed up with a bunch of rad vocalists to make a space metal epic that's like 80 minutes long. (Vocalists include Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity), Russell Allen (Symphony X), Floor Jansen (ReVamp)). This small finnish metal label, Blood Music, is releasing it on Vinyl soon. I'm so fuckin' hype. Thanks europe.

Thanks, I love Ayreon and this sounds just wonderful!

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
So, now that Confluence has been put out of its misery, will we get to see fantastic Ullerrm-approved fits for everything on the regular wiki? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The CSM9-Summer Minutes are out!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

powers posted:

Nice song.

e: Album, whatever.

tyler fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Mynnna - Do you have graphs or numbers on total asset value

CCP Recurve - We had a process that automatically calculated. But, the servers reboot before it can
compile.

Mynnna - That is a pity

CCP Recurve - It is recursive

From the CSM9-Minutes. This poo poo is practically :ccp: in a nutshell. :allears:

Also nice: Old NPC-creation needed devs to fly around in player-ships to apply new attributes directly to them. And a lot of content is there but kind of not, because it is totally broken. But they're fixing it now! :v:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Fozzie seems to have a hardon for renters :smith:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

From the CSM9-Minutes. This poo poo is practically :ccp: in a nutshell. :allears:

Also nice: Old NPC-creation needed devs to fly around in player-ships to apply new attributes directly to them. And a lot of content is there but kind of not, because it is totally broken. But they're fixing it now! :v:

What the gently caress, even for the situation of "we have to make a spaceship game real quick, we'll think about how to make it work smoothly later" that's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

What the gently caress, even for the situation of "we have to make a spaceship game real quick, we'll think about how to make it work smoothly later" that's stupid.

Well I guess you'll be happy to hear then this is a thing of the past now. It took only a bit more then 10 years to axe this. :v:

But don't worry, there's still a lot borked with EVE:

-NPC-portrait-making works kind of funky: New NPC-portraits have to be made separately and then inserted into the database. The content tool allowing us, the players, to make portraits, refuses for some reason to work for CCP-devs.

-A lot of content is technically in the game, but hidden because it doesn't spawn or something else important is broken so it can't be run.

• Locked thread