Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nahxela posted:

A down escalator that you are trying to climb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B-udfiFZcko#t=9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hey, hold on, why can't Johnny and his friends see the train? Isn't it made of actual metal? That's why Forge was tempted to tear some off and make a door out of it, he couldn't do that with spirit-metal which is why he'd been lugging that corporeal hammer along to Mayview before hucking it at the dogs like an idiot.

If it's a purely-spirit train, meaning only spirits see and interact with it, why does it warp things like dirt and trees out of its way when it'd just pass through them? Why does it warp Spender but not Johnny and friends? Can only spectrals see the warping effect, meaning the local trees and bullies are actually getting warped out of the way but they can't see that they are?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Dolash posted:

Hey, hold on, why can't Johnny and his friends see the train? Isn't it made of actual metal? That's why Forge was tempted to tear some off and make a door out of it, he couldn't do that with spirit-metal which is why he'd been lugging that corporeal hammer along to Mayview before hucking it at the dogs like an idiot.

If it's a purely-spirit train, meaning only spirits see and interact with it, why does it warp things like dirt and trees out of its way when it'd just pass through them? Why does it warp Spender but not Johnny and friends? Can only spectrals see the warping effect, meaning the local trees and bullies are actually getting warped out of the way but they can't see that they are?

When did they say he can't use spirit metal to make a door? They just said it was dumb to throw the hammer because it was a whole bunch of metal that he could have used to make a door. The key needed to be non-spirit metal so that it could make it past the barrier and get to Doorman, the door could be whatever.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ahhhhhh, okay, my mistake. I thought it had to be real metal and everything flowed from there. Still a little unclear about why the ghost-train warps material things out of its way if it can pass through them and what that'd mean for Johnny and the bullies if it passes near them though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

Ahhhhhh, okay, my mistake. I thought it had to be real metal and everything flowed from there. Still a little unclear about why the ghost-train warps material things out of its way if it can pass through them and what that'd mean for Johnny and the bullies if it passes near them though.

I think it's just an affect of it's poltergeist powers. :shrug:

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Dolash posted:

what that'd mean for Johnny and the bullies if it passes near them though.

I'm going with -massive- amounts of vomiting since they can see the people inside the train who wouldn't be warping.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dolash posted:

Well, it can pass through mundane material, but it can warp both mundane and supernatural things -- like the mayview barrier. Spirits can't just pass through other spirits (or spectrals even), but the ghost train can warp space itself to ignore anything of any nature.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I keep checking back the last page every few hours and laughing my rear end off. Zack is amazing at drawing faces.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

It would kind of suck if the train just passed straight through a wall but the passengers didn't.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Suaimhneas posted:

It would kind of suck if the train just passed straight through a wall but the passengers didn't.

But the whole point of the train is so this doesn't happen? If they drove in a normal train or a car it would.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I'm not talking about the Mayview barrier. I was responding to the stuff about "why does the train warp physical stuff when it could just pass through it?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dolash posted:

Because it might be able to pass through things but its spectral passengers can't.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Every time I look at this page I catch some more details and it just gets more hilarious. It's fantastic.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm basically marking out as hard as I can at the current page. You should too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

inkblot posted:

So I'm basically marking out as hard as I can at the current page. You should too.

This is indeed a great page, but I guess I'm really confused how things work with the spiritual barrier, maybe because the details were relayed forever ago.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

inkblot posted:

clearly obviously foreshadowed by all the oddly sharklike faces johnny's pulled in this comic so far

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is indeed a great page, but I guess I'm really confused how things work with the spiritual barrier, maybe because the details were relayed forever ago.

Ghosts and possessed things can pass through just fine, spirits and spectrals cannot.

After a while being possessed Johnny is going to become a spectral, but he isn't one now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: Whoops, remembered that line wrong.

Poor Ollie. Realizing that you're not an important character in the story must be tough.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 29, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh boy, Johnny's on the crew! I cannot wait to see him interact with characters other than Max and his gang.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roland Jones posted:

Poor Ollie. Realizing Thinking that you're not an important character in the story must be tough.

I won't hear any more of that heresy :commissar:

Poor RJ. This revelation cut their strings like a murderous marionetteer.

Fake Edit: I still can't get over *WIPE* *CONSOLE* :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Johnny "slapping" R.J. is actually him wiping their tears away :allears: e: beaten.

Oh and also something about the best team up ever.

So is the most annoying power going to be ethical diatribes?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 29, 2014

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Splicer posted:

Johnny "slapping" R.J. is actually him wiping their tears away :allears: e: beaten.

Oh and also something about the best team up ever.

So is the most annoying power going to be ethical diatribes?

Forge has some fire-y powers. Just imagine Johnny with those.

Being able to give hotfoots whenever he wants.

Burning your toast right as you're about to take a bite ew nasty.

Setting off sprinkler systems because oh hey nice hair it looks like it took ages it would sure be a shame if something were to happen to it.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Johnny and Max will have opposite powers but I have trouble seeing how a matchup ends without them just stuck together

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IT'S HAPPENING. IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

IT'S HAPPENING. IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

We all knew it was gonna happen, but actually seeing it happen is just fantastic all the same.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
All of Johnny's crew will eventually become the evil power rangers to team Paranatural's regular power rangers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Forge didn't possess Johnny. He possessed Johnny's jacket.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Pretty sure he possessed Johnny. He has a job to do, and there's no way he can do it if he's stuck in an item carried around by a non spectral. We're going to see him use Johnny to do something, hopefully next chapter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Pretty sure he possessed Johnny. He has a job to do, and there's no way he can do it if he's stuck in an item carried around by a non spectral. We're going to see him use Johnny to do something, hopefully next chapter.

Yeah, hopefully this has a payoff sooner rather than later. I love Paranatural, but it moves at an absolutely glacier pace a lot of the time. A "timeskip" of a week or so, where much hasn't changed beyond Johnny starting to have his powers come in, would be nice. But I doubt that'll be happening since Agent Day certainly has stuff she wants to do (and stuff Zack wants us to see) sooner rather than later.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I knew it was gonna happen, but it's great to see that it is actually happening. It's kinda great how Zack hinted at this a long time ago that only ghosts and things that are possessed can go through barriers. So of course Forge was gonna posses Johnny. It almost look like he's going urgh why do I have to posses this? Interesting to see that Johnny was basically saying keep it between them 4. I felt that once RJ took the pic, Suzy will try to get it the evidence considering she loves blackmail. :v:

Also kinda figured that Johnny already have a near death experience considering he did loving slam his head onto a drat rock.

That or the high in take of citrus. :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, sorry to say that as cool as this is it'll probably be a while until it pays off. If a possessing spirit can turn someone into a spectral in like a day the world would be lousy with spectrals... well, unless Max was possessed as soon as he entered Mayview and that's what turned him spectral, since his powers had kicked in by the next day. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Johnny and Forge though, what a team. They've both got the same wrath and recklessness, but I doubt Forge's ethics pair well with the nerd-beating lifestyle. Then again, he's probably less than happy with the activity club, so on that they agree. As much as this secures both their positions as mid-story antagonists, I can't help but think that this is also a sign that they'll have to come around and work with the heroes later against the Actual Bad Guy near the end.

Oh, and the bully-gang's reaction is great, especially Ollie's burst of self-awareness.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Dolash posted:

Johnny and Forge though, what a team. They've both got the same wrath and recklessness, but I doubt Forge's ethics pair well with the nerd-beating lifestyle.

Did you miss the part where he beat up Spender

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I was gonna say, in one of the panels you see Forge going NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Johnny isn't a Bully, he's a Visionary, boldly bringing light into the tawdry and unstudied art of beating up nerds. And as we have seen with Stephen's deconstruction of apparel and human relation, Johnny's formed his gang with like-minded thinkers. A crazed lunatic monster-man deluded with grand thoughts of redemption and used to solving his problems with violence is going to fit right in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It may take some time to turn Johnny into a spectral but who knows if Forge can appear to him right off the bat.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
While I enjoy Paranatural, it's not often that I laugh out loud at it, but Stephen's "THE GOVERNMEEEEEEEANOOF" made me crack up.

Stephen owns all of three R-rated films, calling it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I really hope that in the background of the next chapter or two we see Johnny slowly turning into a Spectral and gaining forge's powers, like freaking out at a doofy looking spirit and accidentally melting his locker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wait, so is Johnny the player 2 referred to in the opening of the chapter?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Probably Magic posted:

While I enjoy Paranatural, it's not often that I laugh out loud at it, but Stephen's "THE GOVERNMEEEEEEEANOOF" made me crack up.

Stephen owns all of three R-rated films, calling it.

I'd go the other way with it; Stephen seems like the time to have a well honed and diverse collection of Troma movies and direct to video horror. The stack pack will emerge 3 days later, bleary eyed but renewed in focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

It may take some time to turn Johnny into a spectral but who knows if Forge can appear to him right off the bat.
Please tell me that was intentional.