Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Cerv posted:

have you considered how massively expensive the required bureaucracy would be?

That's the point. They need to get billing services in place before they start privatisation proper. Hence why they float ideas like charging for missed appointments, or a surcharge on hospital stays or GP visits.

Additionally, I gain nothing knowing that I cost the NHS £10000 last year, but the act of compiling that bill means that they have some fantastic data to attract health insurance companies in the UK market when the time comes.

Oh and, I'm sure the billing services will mean a lovely payday to IBM or Crapita or whoever gets the contract for rolling out the IT system. Maybe they can add it to the Universal Credit IT system.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My American fiancée had to go to the doctor for some arm and wrist pain a few weeks ago. The advice was OTC painkillers and a cold press, come back in a few days if it's not better.

$119.25.

Fortunately Obamacare brought her bill down to $30 but jesus christ

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Burqa King posted:

We don't want to gently caress it up, but one alternative to reducing waste is for NICE to bring down their allowance for various proven new medicines on the grounds of cost, which isn't really in our best interests. Our cancer performance is still not terribly good.

Another alternative would be to fund the NHS properly, but we can't do that because reasons.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Wolfsbane posted:

Another alternative would be to fund the NHS properly, but we can't do that because reasons.

You see you can't just throw money at the NHS, they'll only spend it on drugs.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Doctors can prescribe medical shampoo for serious cases of dandruff, so it's not a frivolous thing like you're implying.

Missed appointments are a load of nonsense too. People miss appointments and then other people are moved up in the que. It doesn't mean that the doctor sits stewing waiting for his next patient's appointment getting paid for nothing.

Not true. Clinics are overbooked to cope with the 'did not attends' (DNAs). As you can imagine this is an inexact science, so if there are lots of DNAs then clinic time is wasted (you can't really give someone 30 minutes notice to come to the hospital/GP for an appointment that just opened up), and if there are fewer DNAs than expected the clinic runs late which makes patients and staff upset.

Is there an easy solution? Probably not (the problems with, say, charging for missed attendance have been touched upon here), but that doesn't mean that missed appointments aren't a problem for the NHS.

Wolfsbane posted:

I suspect there is neither the political nor the public will to increase taxes for NHS funding.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Depends which taxes.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

My American fiancée had to go to the doctor for some arm and wrist pain a few weeks ago. The advice was OTC painkillers and a cold press, come back in a few days if it's not better.

$119.25.

Fortunately Obamacare brought her bill down to $30 but jesus christ

I don't consider myself especially manly but surely these complaints are overblown. Isn't it common sense to see how you feel in a couple of days?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Burqa King posted:

I don't consider myself especially manly but surely these complaints are overblown. Isn't it common sense to see how you feel in a couple of days?

I don't think it was the advice given that was considered problematic

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I would suspect most people already have waited a couple of days.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
There has been some discussion of whether the EU might kick the UK out for some of the silly poo poo the Tories have been pulling. Sadly other EU members, such as Hungary, are doing far worse:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/29/budapest-viktor-orban-democracy-edge-hungary

quote:

The number one item on Orbán’s destroy list appears to be the western democratic model. In an infamous speech to supporters in Romania in July, he declared the western model dead and cited the authoritarian regimes of Russia, China, Turkey and Singapore as the templates to follow. “We are parting ways with western European dogmas, making ourselves independent from them,” he declared. “We have to abandon liberal methods and principles of organising a society. The new state that we are building is an illiberal state, a non-liberal state.”

That the EU is not doing nothing about this suggests that Germany is benefiting somehow but still, if stuff like that isn't getting Hungary kicked out Cameron's feints definitely won't.

E: note Orban is giving that speech in Romania, likely in a part he considers greater Hungary. He is stirring up poo poo to try and take territory from a fellow member state and yet is still at little risk of censure.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 29, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

I would suspect most people already have waited a couple of days.

I use to think the same thing but my faith in people's patience is slipping in light of the various anecdotes I've read in here. I reckon a sliding scale is the answer. £100 to see a doctor that same day. £0 to see them in a week. I think that would concentrate the minds wonderfully.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think healthcare should be free at the point of use.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Burqa King posted:

I use to think the same thing but my faith in people's patience is slipping in light of the various anecdotes I've read in here. I reckon a sliding scale is the answer. £100 to see a doctor that same day. £0 to see them in a week. I think that would concentrate the minds wonderfully.

You found your own anecdotes that convincing?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I miss the days right wing trolls had some style. These new ones just seem so tepid. It's like they don't even care enough to put the effort in. At lest pretend to give a poo poo about the outcome of your awful policy ideas.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ReV VAdAUL posted:

There has been some discussion of whether the EU might kick the UK out for some of the silly poo poo the Tories have been pulling. Sadly other EU members, such as Hungary, are doing far worse:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/29/budapest-viktor-orban-democracy-edge-hungary

That the EU is not doing nothing about this suggests that Germany is benefiting somehow but still, if stuff like that isn't getting Hungary kicked out Cameron's feints definitely won't.

E: note Orban is giving that speech in Romania, likely in a part he considers greater Hungary. He is stirring up poo poo to try and take territory from a fellow member state and yet is still at little risk of censure.

Almost-literally Hitler

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Burqa King posted:

Now think about the kind of situations that would require an immediate appointment, and if -just maybe!- discouraging people from seeking medical treatment is a bad idea that makes things worse and much more expensive to treat

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I reckon properly funding the NHS and gulags for those who suggest anything but free healthcare for all would help the NHS tremendously.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Wolfsbane posted:

I miss the days right wing trolls had some style. These new ones just seem so tepid. It's like they don't even care enough to put the effort in. At lest pretend to give a poo poo about the outcome of your awful policy ideas.

It's pretty hard when the real right wingers don't seem to pretend to give a poo poo any more.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Now think about the kind of situations that would require an immediate appointment, and if -just maybe!- discouraging people from seeking medical treatment is a bad idea that makes things worse and much more expensive to treat

That's what a and e is for! But on a more serious note, I think theres got to be some way to dissuade people from going to the doctor with a sprained wrist. Its the whole instant gratification, entitled, me me me culture unfortunately.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
To be honest the last time i tried to book a doctors appointment they said they couldnt see me for a week and by then my symptoms had cleared up so I think the system works. Although I did wonder how many people had taken up appointments for a 'bad cough'.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Burqa King posted:

That's what a and e is for! But on a more serious note, I think theres got to be some way to dissuade people from going to the doctor with a sprained wrist. Its the whole instant gratification, entitled, me me me culture unfortunately.

What, exactly, about seeking treatment for serious injury relates to instant gratification, entitlement, or any other talking points you have fresh?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CoolCab posted:

What, exactly, about seeking treatment for serious injury relates to instant gratification, entitlement, or any other talking points you have fresh?

I think hes more talking about the people who have a sniffle and feel that they should be entitled to an appointment and antibiotics (which don't work on colds) that day.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

serious gaylord posted:

I think hes more talking about the people who have a sniffle and feel that they should be entitled to an appointment and antibiotics (which don't work on colds) that day.

Then he probably shouldn't use an actual serious injury in his discussion and should discuss that? To a layman, telling the difference between a sprained wrist and a serious wrist injury is beyond his capacity. That's why we have doctors, to go there with a sprained wrist. Specifically, even.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is it only Wales that has walk in clinics?

If some silly fucker really wants to see the doctor about a mild cold here they'd be told to go to a walk in clinic, wait half an hour or so and then have a quick check up with one of the doctors who'd tell them "Go take some medicine and get some rest." or an appointment made with a major hospital if by some miracle it turns out to actually be serious.

Treatment on the same day, no appointment needed. It seems to work out fine.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
There is indeed a school of thought which suggests that improving ease of access to healthcare stimulates people to attend when they could easily have self-managed their illness, see: http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/publications/meeting-need-or-fuelling-demand

Many common and mild illnesses (colds, sprains, 'flu) are self-treatable and we already have barriers that discourage people with these conditions from seeing primary care - the waiting time for non-urgent GP appointments is one.

The tricky part is discouraging self-treatable patients from attending, whilst still allowing those with serious (or potentially serious) conditions to see a doctor. Charges for consultations are problematic on many levels, and even more so is the idea for charging only for 'inappropriate' attendances which gets floated fairly often.

CoolCab posted:

Then he probably shouldn't use an actual serious injury in his discussion and should discuss that? To a layman, telling the difference between a sprained wrist and a serious wrist injury is beyond his capacity. That's why we have doctors, to go there with a sprained wrist. Specifically, even.

A sprained wrist is not a 'serious injury' and most cases can be self-managed. Indeed, the NHS patient guidance specifically advises patients on how to do so, and when to seek medical advice: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sprains/Pages/Introduction.aspx

oxford_town fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 29, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CoolCab posted:

You shouldnt be going to a GP with a sprained wrist. You should be going to A&E as a GP will just send you there anyway. I like to think even the most lay of layman would go to A&E if they thought they'd broken a bone.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

You shouldnt be going to a GP with a sprained wrist. You should be going to A&E as a GP will just send you there anyway. I like to think even the most lay of layman would go to A&E if they thought they'd broken a bone.

I thought my kid had sprained his wrist when he fell out of a tree, turned out he broke his arm in two places. He didn't even seem to think it hurt that much - I only took him to the doctor (after three days) because of the swelling.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I thought my kid had sprained his wrist when he fell out of a tree, turned out he broke his arm in two places. He didn't even seem to think it hurt that much - I only took him to the doctor (after three days) because of the swelling.

Good! Sounds like you've raised him well. Unless it's a bad break, 3 days isn't going to be dangerous.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

serious gaylord posted:

My younger sister was bit through her snowsuit by a husky on our arctic adventures, and failed to seek treatment for two days. The bone was shattered, required extensive surgery. Do not assign to laymen a qualified professional's job.

oxford_town posted:

A sprained wrist is not a 'serious injury' and most cases can be self-managed. Indeed, the NHS patient guidance specifically advises patients on how to do so, and when to seek medical advice: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sprains/Pages/Introduction.aspx

The wrist is one of the most complex points on the human arm. Wrist issues cause significant pain, and prevent individuals from working even on a keyboard, which pretty much rules them out of most of the job market. The guidance you linked

quote:

Most sprains and strains are relatively minor and can be cared for at home (see below).

However, you should visit a minor injuries unit (MIU) or your GP if you think you have a sprain or strain and:

the pain is particularly severe
you cannot move the injured joint or muscle

you cannot put any weight on the injured limb, or it gives way when you try to use it
the injured area looks crooked or has unusual lumps or bumps (other than swelling)
you have numbness, discolouration or coldness in any part of the injured area
the symptoms have not started to improve within a few days of self-treatment

These cases should be assessed by a doctor because they may indicate that your sprain or strain is severe or that you have another serious injury, such as a fracture.

agrees with me. A sprained wrist, particularly one that leaves you incapable of working, is a perfectly legitimate reason to go to the GP.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fans posted:

Is it only Wales that has walk in clinics?

No, we have them here in Reading and it's amazing. My normal GP surgery won't book appointments outside of a rolling two day window, so if those two days are full, that's it. It's not "I'll book you in for a week's time", it's "call back tomorrow morning at 8am and we'll see if there is an appointment in the following two days."

"Oh what's that, you didn't manage to call before 8:05? Well, all our appointments are full now, try calling back and booking one tomorrow morning." Fuckers. I secretly think it must be a system to avoid having any patient waiting longer than 2 days so they meet their waiting list targets.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Prince John posted:

I secretly think it must be a system to avoid having any patient waiting longer than 2 days so they meet their waiting list targets.

I mean, that's exactly what it is. Target came through that all patients must be seen within 2 days: surgeries stopped booking appointments over 2 days out. Although, most are flexible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Burqa King posted:

Good thing she didn't have a mere sprain and was, in fact, in so much pain she went to the doctor despite having to take time off work and facing fees of unknown scale, huh?

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Some conditions are exacerbated by time spent untreated, and while they're relatively uncommon the layman with no knowledge of the condition they have (beyond something like "I have a bad stinging feeling in my throat and it isn't made better by drinking Lemsip") isn't likely to know if it'll get worse or not except in extreme cases like anaphylactic shock or broken bones.. This makes artificially extending the time it takes for a person to see a doctor, like by charging a fee for earlier visits, a potentially dangerous thing unless the patients are screened by a doctor before making an appointment. Which beats the point anyway.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

CoolCab posted:

The wrist is one of the most complex points on the human arm. Wrist issues cause significant pain, and prevent individuals from working even on a keyboard, which pretty much rules them out of most of the job market. The guidance you linked

agrees with me. A sprained wrist, particularly one that leaves you incapable of working, is a perfectly legitimate reason to go to the GP.

Yes, severe cases should be reviewed by a doctor. But a blanket statement that:

quote:

To a layman, telling the difference between a sprained wrist and a serious wrist injury is beyond his capacity

...is untrue and there are many, many cases of mild-moderate sprains that are successfully self-triaged and managed. That NHS page specifically offers advice for self-diagnosis and management.

Edit: I'm not saying that the specific attendance mentioned in this thread was inappropriate, but taking issue with the idea that every minor ailment needs to be seen by a doctor and that the system is failing if it doesn't allow for this.

oxford_town fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 29, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if you've got a sprained wrist you should try being less of a wanker

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

oxford_town posted:

Yes, severe cases should be reviewed by a doctor. But a blanket statement that:

...is untrue and there are many, many cases of mild-moderate sprains that are successfully self-triaged and managed. That NHS page specifically offers advice for self-diagnosis and management.

Edit: I'm not saying that the specific attendance mentioned in this thread was inappropriate, but taking issue with the idea that every minor ailment needs to be seen by a doctor and that the system is failing if it doesn't allow for this.

Eh, I do admit that I tend to be overcautious about wrists specifically because I've had issues that I ignored when I shouldn't have. A lot can go wrong with your wrist, particularly when it's your bread and butter as it is for so many people. Go to the doctor if your wrist is giving you trouble!

e: and yeah it's what jfairfax said :v:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My doctor told me off for not going regularly enough (three times in nine years). Didn't want to waste anyone's time when I felt fine, just a little cough I attributed to a recent cold.

Turned out I had a massive infection in my lungs that attacked my kidneys, bladder, urinary tract and finally my heart and ended up putting me in hospital. The only symptom I had up until the heart was a cough.

So gently caress you, next time I have a cough I'm going to my GP.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oxford_town posted:

Nobody's saying this though, just that someone getting an unnecessary examination is better than someone failing to get one when they need to. Ideally everybody would be educated enough and have access to useful information so they'd know when to stay away, but failing that it's better to see a medical professional (doesn't have to be a doctor) than put yourself, or your child, or grandma at further risk

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Prince John posted:

No, we have them here in Reading and it's amazing. My normal GP surgery won't book appointments outside of a rolling two day window, so if those two days are full, that's it. It's not "I'll book you in for a week's time", it's "call back tomorrow morning at 8am and we'll see if there is an appointment in the following two days."

"Oh what's that, you didn't manage to call before 8:05? Well, all our appointments are full now, try calling back and booking one tomorrow morning." Fuckers. I secretly think it must be a system to avoid having any patient waiting longer than 2 days so they meet their waiting list targets.

Official NHS guidance for walk in centres and minor injury units are here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/Walk-incentresSummary.aspx

Calling 111 for phone triage or using them to get an appointment is a pretty good way if you can manage it though.

They're classified as Type 3 A&E service which means you're supposed to be seen within 4 hours as promised by the NHS constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

GPs can write a referral letter for A&E that they pretty much have to take seriously though, whereas some A&E's will just shuttle you around between them and urgent care if you just show up. That shouldn't be the case, but while it is there's still a reason for asking a local doctor to take a look first.

• Locked thread