Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Aristophanes posted:

It's been Armageddon Expo weekend here. I didn't have as big a budget as previous years, so I didn't pick up much.

Metal Earth scale model of the Parthenon. Kitsets and Ancient Greece! Tickled my fancy so hard, I was thrilled to pick up the last one they had at the stand. Those bloody columns though, rolling 40+ of those fiddly little things really made a mess of my fingers.

Come join us in the super nerdy scale modeling thread (link is just my posts bec I love those metal earth kits). Bring progress pics.

Van Dis has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Van Dis posted:

Come join us in the super nerdy scale modeling thread (like is just my posts bec I love those metal earth kits). Bring progress pics.

I've wanted the space shuttle kit like that for a while, but they look fragile and frustrating as hell. Are they as simple as they claim, or is it more of an experienced modeler only type thing?

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Heh, no progress pics of mine unfortunately because I was paranoid of losing pieces. I did end up temporarily misplacing one of the frieze pieces because it was one of the last parts I needed and was nested inside the first part of the body, so I accidentally threw it out thinking it was a piece of scrap metal, after I'd forgotten it was going to be useful. That was a good time, digging through the rubbish bin. But I found it!

As for fragility and frustration, I found the pieces fairly robust, and nothing seemed to be in much danger of breaking so long as you keep a fairly light but firm touch. Some of the pieces were difficult to get out of the frame without warping, but with a little wiggling and a pair of pliers everything was fine. This was the first one I've ever done of these metal ones, and I'm not that experienced with models in general and I did fine. Those bloody columns, though.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I've wanted the space shuttle kit like that for a while, but they look fragile and frustrating as hell. Are they as simple as they claim, or is it more of an experienced modeler only type thing?

The ones I made were the first models I'd put together in 20 years and they came out okay. That said, there is a definite learning curve for working with those, mostly around how to manipulate the tiny pieces without bending them out of shape. Since they're pretty thin metal one of the surprisingly tougher parts is punching them out of their sprues without bending them awkwardly. I'd start with a piece that has no rounds and few pieces (like the Golden Gate Bridge) and then move onto the more complicated ones.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The sequel to this, except made only by Billy Corgan and Tommy Lee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg

Billy Corgan did make a sequel to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYY8DxVZHE

So as not to derail, I just bought this in the original quirky packaging.
I'm way too excited about it.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Chronograph to find out what speeds things are flying out of various firearms.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

I have some of the insect kits and while they look fragile, they are made out of goddamn thin sheet stainless steel. It takes a concerted effort to break them, usually twisting a tab back and forth way too much because the bastard fucker won't seat into the goddamn loving hole because gently caress YOU AND YOUR PITIFUL SKIN TOO

Use a pair of needle nose pliers or clippers to get a good purchase on the tabs you have to insert into a hole then twist. You'll perforate yourself if you don't. They aren't difficult per se, they are just really, really small and the metal can be difficult to manipulate if you're doing it with just your hands.

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

A tiny girls car

Peugeot 108 Active

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Josh Lyman posted:

I have this watch.

My next purchase was a $5000 watch.

Tread lightly.
Hahah yeah, I currently have a pricier watch and a gshock but wanted something more formal looking but at the same time wouldn't cry over if it was lost, stolen, or broken.

PleasusChrist posted:

What model is this?

Seiko 5 Silver SNKL83K1

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I bought a camera to take on our upcoming trip to South Africa (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60, or ZS40 in the US):

And also a Fred Perry polo shirt:

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

New Devin Townsend Project album.

Bookshelves for my wife so she will stop complaining about lack of bookshelves.

And plane tickets for a wedding over new years. Yay spending money.

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Is that a first edition? I'm oddly aroused.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure they had every team when they first put them up.
Nah, just 8 teams at 2 sweaters each.

hackbunny posted:

Jesus, get the Made in England ones instead, if they last you so little. They're double-stitched (even triple-stitched in some parts) and like twice as thick. Also ungodly expensive, but I think they're worth it

I more so meant that not pairs were wrecked around the same time, but I owned them for several years. I bought mine for ~$50 on eBay.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lilleput posted:

A tiny girls car

Peugeot 108 Active

If you ever want to feel like a giant, you can either set up and smash a tiny model city or try and drive one of these.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I've been looking for a belt like this for a while (with the snaps for changing out the buckle, and the natural/undyed backing), as I had one in high school that I loved, and somehow lost. Found this on eBay for $5, last one in my size. Now I just need a good buckle.

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

I came here to laugh at you.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Will you wear this in public?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It really should just say Eternally Single

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Will you wear this in public?

Haha, I'll probably wear it out for one night of epic drinking but for the most part no.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Saw this at Walmart for 5 bucks and grabbed it. I love wearing shirts my wife hates.

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

boz posted:

Saw this at Walmart for 5 bucks and grabbed it. I love wearing shirts my wife hates.

Right on,

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have no shame in this.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

boz posted:

Congrats on being the first person to make me mad that I don't live near a WalMart.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Sazabi_Master posted:

Haha, I'll probably wear it out for one night of epic drinking but for the most part no.

Will you have many lulz on your night of epic drinking, or will you exclaim "fail" when you're turned down by yet another friendzoning scum?

I bought six tickets to the WWE Royal Rumble in January. Nothing better than watching this poo poo with five buds.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This mask. So I can go as this tonight:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

tomstuart posted:

About a 45 minute drive south from jaco is manuel antonio national park. it has a sweet 1-2km hike to a secluded cove beach that is the prettiest beach i've ever seen in person.

There is a fish taco place in Jaco you must try. It is very popular and touristy but delicious. You sit on swings, I forget the name, but if you are in Jaco you will certainly run across it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SgtScruffy posted:

You have to hand out business cards with just OBEY on them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SgtScruffy posted:

Holy
poo poo

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

spookygonk posted:

You have to hand out business cards with just OBEY on them.

Awesome - I was trying to think of a way to have some sort of "CONSUME" or "OBEY" worked in, and that's perfect!

This guy knows what I'm talkin' about
VVVVV

SgtScruffy has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Oct 31, 2014

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

SgtScruffy posted:

I support this.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Got my wife a "gaming laptop".

i7 2GHZ and a NVIDIA GeForce 840M

Now she can grind away at Tera and I can get my gaming rig back.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Xenoletum posted:

Will you have many lulz on your night of epic drinking, or will you exclaim "fail" when you're turned down by yet another friendzoning scum?

I bought six tickets to the WWE Royal Rumble in January. Nothing better than watching this poo poo with five buds.

This post is full of irony.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
For those curious, the They Live mask is $60 here. Not a bad price for a classic costume that has more than a year of use. Bit late to order it for this year though.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

WHERE. Link!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xenoletum posted:

Your second sentence completely invalidates the criticisms of the first.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Is it an auto-sear, a gear for a bike, or some manner of vape adapter?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

When are people gonna learn to post links to the poo poo they buy? I wanna get in on this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

QuasiQuack posted:

When are people gonna learn to post links to the poo poo they buy? I wanna get in on this.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-Tachikoma-Figure-Fewture/dp/B000K22IU8

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

That's the weirdest toilet I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
it's an IBN 5100