Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Count Bleck posted:

You learn to tune out "[Magic product] is the WORST thing to happen to the game since [Magic product]. Back in my day we had POWER in our [deck archtype] and we walked FIFTEEN MILES to the LGS to play our 3 rounder and 0-2 drop!" After a while.

"WITH NO SHOES, IN A BLIZZARD!"

You call this a bad product? Back in my day we had Homelands, and we lost our minds over that poo poo! Got so mad we only bought one booster box I tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I conceptually like these planeswalker commanders, but I feel like they aren't going to see any play as commanders, since taking one gives up a wincon in the form of Commander damage. gently caress trying to slowly chop through some slow-rolling Oloro deck at 180 life because you can't just voltron up your walker commander and punch for 21.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Artifact Living Death. Looks pretty synergistic with what we've seen so far, and it's a neat effect.

A reminder that it gets around grafdigger's cage :3:

Welder-walker is kind of neat and honestly might be worth consideration in painted stone if that deck comes back in force since apparently it was running Chandra 4 at one point and Welker is probably comparable. Notably dodges Abrupt Decay and is castable on 3 lands thanks to sol lands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

theironjef posted:

I conceptually like these planeswalker commanders, but I feel like they aren't going to see any play as commanders, since taking one gives up a wincon in the form of Commander damage. gently caress trying to slowly chop through some slow-rolling Oloro deck at 180 life because you can't just voltron up your walker commander and punch for 21.

Daretti could've probably had 'deals X damage to target player, where X is equal to the cards discarded' tacked onto his +.
But that's the world we live in I suppose.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

theironjef posted:

My new goal is to play Mycosinth Lattice, March of the Machines, and kill someone with my Planes-commander.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

theironjef posted:

I feel like more relevant than commander damage is the fact that it's going to be really hard to keep them alive when folks can attack them directly. And in Teferi's case, he doesn't have any realistic game plan to stay alive unless you're already winning handily. Maybe Stasis until you can tick up to the emblem?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Lithomancer

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Token equipment is kinda cool.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

A reminder that it gets around grafdigger's cage :3:

Grafdigger's Cage says "creature cards" but I suppose it matters if you're doing this to fetch back your artifact creatures.

Count Bleck posted:

Daretti could've probably had 'deals X damage to target player, where X is equal to the cards discarded' tacked onto his +.

That wouldn't be Commander Damage so you'd be running the same horse race as everyone else.

Personally, I think I'm going to try to build Daretti with proliferate, the better to enable his emblem, so I can toss in a couple of poison sources for those infinite-life guys...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That means there's got to be at least one good equipment reprint in the white deck, right? And we've seen a germ token. Batterskull pretty please?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like more relevant than commander damage is the fact that it's going to be really hard to keep them alive when folks can attack them directly. And in Teferi's case, he doesn't have any realistic game plan to stay alive unless you're already winning handily. Maybe Stasis until you can tick up to the emblem?

Yeah, in my experience, even bad walkers with barely-relevant abilities get taken out as soon as possible in EDH. Maybe having one as your commander mitigates that somewhat, since attacking it isn't a permanent answer, but I'm not seeing a lot of incentive to use one instead of a creature.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Grafdigger's Cage says "creature cards" but I suppose it matters if you're doing this to fetch back your artifact creatures.
Read the card again- it exiles the cards before putting them into play, grafdigger's cage doesn't affect it at all.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Madmarker posted:

The Lithomancer

Nice design, even if it seems a bit of a shame she probably won't show up on Tarkir now. Is it going to far to think Batterskull is now a lock for the white deck?

Was Stoneforge Mystic always implied to be The Lithomancer/a Planeswalker, or did that come later and possibly in response to SFM being too powerful. Could Deathrite Shaman be next?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I guess forging things in stones is a Thing on Zendikar. And she's the first Commander-walker to kinda protect herself.

Also, she's not immediately a 4-of in every single Legacy deck. Which is totally okay.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Whoa, that white walker is REALLY good and interesting to boot.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Lithomancer looks pretty sweet. I'll definitely play it in my Tajic deck if nothing else. It'll give me something to do after I blow up everything else.

sarmhan posted:

Read the card again- it exiles the cards before putting them into play, grafdigger's cage doesn't affect it at all.

Read the post he was responding to.

Veyrall posted:

Also, she's not immediately a 4-of in every single Legacy deck. Which is totally okay.
You don't know anything! I want every new card to be a 4-of in vintage. I could actually see playing this as a 1-of in legacy Stoneforge decks.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 29, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

The Lithomancer looks pretty sweet. I'll definitely play it in my Tajic deck if nothing else. It'll give me something to do after I blow up everything else.
She really does- being able to recur equipment other people have exploded is a big upside.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

suicidesteve posted:

You don't know anything! I want every new card to be a 4-of in vintage. I could actually see playing this as a 1-of in legacy Stoneforge decks.
Does Legacy actually play anything that costs 5 like that card though? I mean, I don't keep up with Legacy apart from maybe watching a stream or two occasionally.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, I'm sold on mono-white.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/lithomancer-2014-10-29

Storyline wise they've finally told how Sorin, Ugin and Nahiri sealed the Eldrazi on Zendikar.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how Nahiri is basically if Stoneforge Mystic became a Walker.
I'm completely okay with that too, because she looks awesome.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Count Bleck posted:

I like how Nahiri is basically if Stoneforge Mystic became a Walker.
I'm completely okay with that too, because she looks awesome.

She is Stoneforge Mystic as a creature in disguise ala Blind Seer. Based on that story there's no way she would leave Zendikar unprotected. Wizards banning her let the Eldrazi loose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Veyrall posted:

Does Legacy actually play anything that costs 5 like that card though? I mean, I don't keep up with Legacy apart from maybe watching a stream or two occasionally.

Force of Will and Batterskull :v:

Not really as far as I know.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Count Bleck posted:

It's gotta be combat damage, though. Even if they have him a burn, it wouldn't work. You'd need a Planes-Commander with a Sarkhan-style "turn into a creature" loyalty ability to do it, short of the whole Mycosynth thing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yeah, stoneforge mystic and Nahiri are wearing the same clothes. It's her. Which is pretty cute - the creature is so good because it's actually a Planeswalker. It's like the new remand art depicting the banning of deathrite shaman.

Edit: I feel like this makes a stoneforge reprint in the commander deck significantly less likely.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Emerson Cod posted:

Wizards banning her let the Eldrazi loose.

Honestly this + obvious nod to her being obscenely overpowered as a creature is the best flavour I've seen in MTG to date. So much that I actually read that storyline segment linked and even managed to enjoy it.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 29, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

Yeah, stoneforge mystic and Nahiri are wearing the same clothes. It's her. Which is pretty cute - the creature is so good because it's actually a Planeswalker. It's like the new remand art depicting the banning of deathrite shaman.

Edit: I feel like this makes a stoneforge reprint in the commander deck significantly less likely.

That's not weird, Nissa Revane's PW card wears similar clothes to most of the Joraga Elves?

Also Nahiri isn't contemporary to the ZEN block storyline so y'know, historical figure, reverence, and all that.

I like that Nahiri can't just find any equipment because the idea of a Batterskull might not have existed 6000 years ago (while Umezawa's Jitte might have because I don't know the chronology of Kamigawa).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 29, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Chorocojo posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/lithomancer-2014-10-29

Storyline wise they've finally told how Sorin, Ugin and Nahiri sealed the Eldrazi on Zendikar.

I like it, and there's a cool new bit of Kieryluk art at the end. Do they commission stuff just for fluff articles, or could that show up on a card sometime? The location is explicitly Zendikar, so I guess they would have to do a return there first.

Edit: And I think it's the clearest image yet of Ulgin. Granted it's the back and side of his head, but I don't think we've have more before that was explicitly him and as he normally appears.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zoness posted:

That's not weird, Nissa Revane's PW card wears similar clothes to most of the Joraga Elves?

Also Nahiri isn't contemporary to the ZEN block storyline so y'know, historical figure, reverence, and all that.

I like that Nahiri can't just find any equipment because the idea of a Batterskull might not have existed 6000 years ago (while Umezawa's Jitte might have because I don't know the chronology of Kamigawa).

I dunno, they're pretty drat similar looking, right down to the shape of their hair:

If these are meant to be different, distinct characters, i'm really not seeing it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Niton posted:

I dunno, they're pretty drat similar looking, right down to the shape of their hair:

If these are meant to be different, distinct characters, i'm really not seeing it.

The deck is called Forged in Stone, they both interact with equipment and the fluff article indicates they both do pretty much the same thing of pulling weapons out of rocks. There is no way they aren't the same person.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
At most the Stoneforge Mystics choose to look exactly like Nahiri as a sign of respect and admiration, or something.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

The deck is called Forged in Stone, they both interact with equipment and the fluff article indicates they both do pretty much the same thing of pulling weapons out of rocks. There is no way they aren't the same person.

Even their clothing is similar, the top is the same, with the same type of straps holding it up. She has the same red bands going around her arms, her hair is the same. The only real difference in attire is the belts and apron.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

It's not the first time a non-legendary has depicted a specific character. Happened all the time during Weatherlight.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I like it, and there's a cool new bit of Kieryluk art at the end. Do they commission stuff just for fluff articles, or could that show up on a card sometime? The location is explicitly Zendikar, so I guess they would have to do a return there first.

They started doing that with Journey into Nyx, yeah. There's specifically the full-art version of Deicide with Ajani at the bottom and the piece of Heliod actually killing Elspeth. They also tend to do splash images for new sets ever since Rise of the Eldrazi.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I can never look at Sorin Markov's art without seeing his hands fanning a pistol like an old western gunfighter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Okay, cool. It's neat they've used the Commander release to further the plot and background to the current advanced set.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Maybe someday we'll get Ashnod and Tawnos as legendary duders. JUST SAYING, WIZARDS. Freyalise finally having a card owns.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I can never look at Sorin Markov's art without seeing his hands fanning a pistol like an old western gunfighter.

I would LOVE if Sorin showed up on a Western-themed plane.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

Okay, cool. It's neat they've used the Commander release to further the plot and background to the current advanced set.

They saw an opportunity and they took it.

Though I'd have rather seen Nahiri in Standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

They saw an opportunity and they took it.

Though I'd have rather seen Nahiri in Standard.

You already did, back when she was Stoneforge Mystic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Madmarker posted:

I would LOVE if Sorin showed up on a Western-themed plane.

Oh my god I want Nissa to confront Sorin on Western-themed plane now. I want this to happen so bad.

• Locked thread