Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PleasureKevin posted:

harper is determined to repeat all the key neo-conservative mistakes the U.S. has made over the past decades, as quickly as possible.

build more prisons, then fill them using mandatory minimum sentences for drugs.

climate denial.

xenophobia and bullying immigrants.

saying the country is a christian nation under the queen of england lmfao.

now going to war in iraq.

he neurotically mimics and strokes old power structures at any opportunity. he's a power-hungry contrarian. you can't have a conscience to know factually the USA policies have been apocalyptic and try repeat them anyway for pathocratic reasons.

he literally takes every play out of the GOP handbook. maybe i'm naive but i've never seen anything like him in canada, not in politics or my social life. he's the one-man NRA, israel-lobby, bill kristol, etc of canada.

this event is so predictable, and so is his response, and whatever PATRIOT act he'll introduce. even if it looks bad on him right now because he started this with ISIL, it still sickens me to know he wanted this and loves it.

RIP soldier guy, we failed you :canada:

don't blame me, i voted for mulcair :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i used to vote for the liberals but lol @ justin trudeau and lol @ how corrupt and lazy they are now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i used to vote for the liberals but lol @ justin trudeau and lol @ how corrupt and lazy they are now

lol, now?

did you miss all of the 90s?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

lol, now?

did you miss all of the 90s?

ok, double-plus corrupt

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ahmeni posted:

But none of this changes one fact: The Passport is big. Super big. So big that I could show it to my kids’ friends and convince most of them that it is some sort of Cro-Magnon relic from the 1990s. My iPhone often ended up in a shirt pocket. But that feels awkward with the Passport. In fact, there are a few shirts I own that actually do not permit this without busting the pocket stitching. When I asked my wife to try it with some of her blouses, she couldn’t get the Passport to fit in any of them. Even in my pants, the Passport was an awkward fit. It really only makes sense in a jacket, briefcase or purse. So to state the obvious: This business-oriented phone is hardly the ideal phone for, say, the beach or hiking trail.

This may explain the intensely gendered response I got to my Passport when I was seen using it in public places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Taco Del Mar or office-building elevators. Over the last month, numerous strangers have approached me to ask about the device. They are always men. The women I’ve shown the Passport to — including female colleagues, my wife and her friends — seem vaguely horrified by the thing. Even with two hands, the Passport feels like something that fell off the bottom of an old fridge. I assure them that they’d get used to it in a few days, if they give it a chance. But the starkly boxy aesthetics scare them off.

current headline is Why I ditched my iPhone for Blackberry’s massive new Passport, the url has it as why-im-hooked-on-the-clunky-new-blackberry-passport-the-worlds-first-male-gendered-smartphone

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

further laffs from that review:

quote:

Because of its radically different form, the Blackberry Passport alters the very idea of a Smartphone in a manner that must be termed existential. With my iPhone, I’d gotten used to lazily holding it in my right hand, casually swiping through tweets and emails with my thumb as I drank coffee with my left. The Passport, on the other hand, demands the commitment of two hands, because (in my case, at least) the right thumb can’t get past the T button. That sounds like a drawback, and it certainly feels like one when, say, you’re using an umbrella or trying to keep a door open for someone in an office building lobby. But it also made me less tempted to use the Passport at times when a person really, really shouldn’t be using a Smartphone — such as when you’re stuck in traffic.

"impractically huge... but that's a feature!!"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

further laffs from that review:

"impractically huge... but that's a feature!!"

stop posting reviews of my dillz pls

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

stop posting reviews of my dillz pls

quote:

Over the last month, numerous strangers have approached me to ask about my dillz. They are always men. The women I’ve shown my dillz to — including female colleagues, my wife and her friends — seem vaguely horrified by the thing. Even with two hands, my dillz feels like something that fell off the bottom of an old fridge. I assure them that they’d get used to it in a few days, if they give it a chance. But the starkly boxy aesthetics scare them off.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
pow

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

current headline is Why I ditched my iPhone for Blackberry’s massive new Passport, the url has it as why-im-hooked-on-the-clunky-new-blackberry-passport-the-worlds-first-male-gendered-smartphone

it needs a big male dong-shaped joystick to really complete the picture

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

prefect posted:

it needs a big male dong

same

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

post of the year heh

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

postin in this the 20th lf thread

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

some of my coworkers still have z10's from before it just started issueing iPhones. one of them shat the bed last week, so I advised the coworker to drop it down the stairs and get a iPhone

a wall of protest went up because bbry is the best thing ever, and one of them wants to replace his z10 with a passport

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
passport to stockholm

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

i can't wait to see him fumbling around with this thing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lmao yeah that's accurate

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bananalogue posted:

passport to stockholm

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bananalogue posted:

passport to stockholm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bananalogue posted:

passport to stockholm

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

http://live.theverge.com/Kim-Kardashian-live-from-code-mobile/

JOSH LOWENSOHN 4:54:40 PM PDT
Kim says she had early issues with people thinking the was shilling stuff for companies when she was really posting something she likes. She notes that when she has an endorsement deal there's like a tweet or month, but that she's never put a price tag on it. What would it be worth though? More than $10,000, probably. No joke.

JOSH LOWENSOHN 4:55:55 PM PDT
Swisher asks about her favorite phone. Yep. She says it's still a BlackBerry, though she has an iPhone. The reason why, she explains, is to type out angry emails. She uses a BlackBerry Bold that they don't sell in stores anymore, so she buys them on eBay until they break. "I have anxiety that I will run out, and that BlackBerry will go extinct ... I'm on a mission to make that not happen."

JOSH LOWENSOHN 4:56:37 PM PDT
Kim says that she has a BlackBerry Passport, but hasn't turned it on.

so is blackberry just trying to avoid the "tweeted from iphone" stuff with tim allen and now her

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/classic-john-chen/

quote:

BlackBerry is driven by an urgent, obsessive focus on what matters: you. When we lose sight of what you want and you need, we lose you.

It’s tempting in a rapidly changing, rapidly growing mobile market to change for the sake of change – to mimic what’s trendy and match the industry-standard, kitchen-sink approach of trying to be all things to all people.

But there’s also something to be said for the classic adage, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

BlackBerry Classic reflects that. It is classic BlackBerry – complete with a top row of navigation keys and a trackpad. It’s the device that has always felt right in your hands and always felt right in your busy day.

Of course, we’ve made quite a few enhancements around the edges and on the inside. The screen is bigger and sharper. Our application catalogue is growing. The BlackBerry 10 operating system incorporates all the best productivity and collaboration features on any mobile device, including the BlackBerry Hub and our all-new BlackBerry Blend.

Sure, we’ve got new BlackBerry devices that break the mold, including the BlackBerry Passport. But we also recognize that a lot of you continue to hang on to your Bold devices because they get the job done, day in and day out – just like you.

We get it, and we’ve got you covered.

Innovation is a word that gets used too often and carelessly. Innovation is not about blowing up what works to make something new – it’s about taking what works and making it better. In that sense, BlackBerry Classic represents the kind of innovation BlackBerry – and you – strive toward every day.

You don’t reinvent yourself every day; you take what you learned yesterday and sharpen it today. You drive change – often on your terms, but sometimes not. That you keep going regardless is what distinguishes you as a grown-up. You’re in it for the long haul.

So is BlackBerry. The things you remember about BlackBerry that made you better are better than ever with BlackBerry Classic. BlackBerry Classic is for you, as is everything we do every day.

We are committed to earning your business – or earning it back, if that’s the case. In the weeks ahead, BlackBerry will be sharing more details about Classic that we think you’ll like. In the meantime, we encourage you to visit BlackBerry.com/Classic to see for yourself why BlackBerry Classic is aptly named.

Just talked to some buddies I have that still work there. This is just the Q10 hardware (which is 2 years old) with a trackpad. I bet you anything they try to sell this for $600.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bonzo posted:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/classic-john-chen/

Just talked to some buddies I have that still work there. This is just the Q10 hardware (which is 2 years old) with a trackpad. I bet you anything they try to sell this for $600.

quote:

The smartphone you trust, with the power you couldn’t imagine.

It takes more than fast thumbs and a stone cold focus to stay on top of your inbox and the day’s priorities. BlackBerry® Classic is the ultimate communications tool.

One place for all your messages

Navigation buttons that do more than ‘go home’

A physical keyboard that has no rival

quote:

quote:

the literal truth

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the literal truth

isn't there a keyboard addon for iphones that's a literal blackberry clone

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I thought they got sued and stopped selling them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah but it's a small electronic item so you can surely order them from the same chinese factory on aliexpress or whatever.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I thought they got sued and stopped selling them

http://www.theverge.com/mobile/2014/3/29/5560628/blackberry-wins-court-order-banning-sales-of-typo-iphone-keyboard-case

Also they got really bad reviews

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

isn't there a keyboard addon for iphones that's a literal blackberry clone

also you can pair basically any Bluetooth keyboard to an phone

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

the economist posted:

Back to its roots: BlackBerry’s comeback
Remember BlackBerry? It ruled the infant smartphone market; now it accounts for less than 1% of global sales. But BlackBerry is not dead yet. Under John Chen, chief executive for the past year, it is concentrating on its old strengths: business users and security. Today in San Francisco the Canadian company is holding an event for corporate customers; it may show off a new version of its secure communications server, as well as video-conferencing via BBM, its instant-message system. Mr Chen can boast one tech turnaround already, of Sybase, a database-software company. On his watch BlackBerry’s share price has roughly doubled (though it had collapsed before that). It jumped on Monday when Mr Chen said he had talked to Chinese smartphone-makers about possible partnerships, and again yesterday, ahead of today’s event. Losses are at least narrowing. But investors—to whom the firm is also talking today—will want to know when those will turn to profits.

mmmmm... yisss. look at that share price bouncing back babby!

the economist posted:

quickly, now: what's two times zero?

Nelson MandEULA fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 18, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
your mastery of bbcode is... formidable

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sham bam bamina! posted:

your mastery of bbcode is... formidable
not all of us are wicked cool cjs like u :saddowns:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

Also they got really bad reviews

so do blackberries

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

they made some deal with samsung to but BB security on future Galaxy phones I guess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol BB "security"

so the same PKI that they hand out the keys to anytime a government asks them?

will the samsungs go down too the next time some jackoff in waterloo triggers a fire alarm in the one and only infrastructure DC?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

the one and only infrastructure DC?

are you loving serious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

are you loving serious

basically yes.

officially they have multiple DCs for different regions. in practice, from what we saw during the week long outages a while back that affected multiple continents, and from scuttlebutt around waterloo, no they have one DC that's routing traffic for BB worldwide.

if it goes through blackberry enterprise server, it goes through a DC somewhere in or near waterloo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

basically yes.

officially they have multiple DCs for different regions. in practice, from what we saw during the week long outages a while back that affected multiple continents, and from scuttlebutt around waterloo, no they have one DC that's routing traffic for BB worldwide.

if it goes through blackberry enterprise server, it goes through a DC somewhere in or near waterloo

I know several ex bb employees that will confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

the one and only infrastructure DC?

i keep forgetting that this happened and lol every time i remember/am reminded

so thanks for the lol

• Locked thread