Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

what if we had a ball pit, but like, inside us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

Google working on nanoparticles to detect cancer

Google is developing tiny magnetic particles that could help detect cancer and other health problems by coursing through a patient’s bloodstream.

Implementing the nanoparticles could take more than five years, The Wall Street Journal said in reporting the interview with Conrad.

oh look, another google moonshot misdirect that will never happen. everyone keep looking this way, ignore the fact that we are an advertising company and give us credit for innovation

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is everyone's go-to number when they mean "we have no idea" hth

5 years is "we have no idea but we know its possible"
10 years is "we really have no idea when we'd do it or if doing it is possible at all"

hth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is also a magic number for investors. new products have to be profitable (or just really huge) at the 5 year point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

if Google was in my blood stream, I would surely contract ads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol like google would ever go through all of the testing and certification required to produce a medical product.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

5 years is "we have no idea but we know its possible"
10 years is "we really have no idea when we'd do it or if doing it is possible at all"

hth

the last big cold fusion thing was 5 years away every single time it was reported

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

lol like google would ever go through all of the testing and certification required to produce a medical product.

well that would require them actually hiring engineers, for starters

and established biomedical engineers tend to make bank off patents already

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the last big cold fusion thing was 5 years away every single time it was reported

from two weeks ago:

quote:

Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade.

Tom McGuire, who heads the project, said he and a small team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's secretive Skunk Works for about four years, but were now going public to find potential partners in industry and government for their work.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

we can use cold fusion to stop volcanoes right?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

PleasureKevin posted:

this is also a magic number for investors. new products have to be profitable (or just really huge) at the 5 year point.

investors are just beep boop robots that do everything by weird arbitrary numbers they are programmed with, this checks out

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

:vince:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so this nanoparticl initiative, did they buy a company that does that for some inexplicabkle reason or is this an employee's 20% spare time project?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

from two weeks ago:

lockheed martin's device is hot fusion.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

right and cold fusion is at least theoretically possible.

the deal with 10 year or higher predictions is that it's pretty much the point where, once the prediction time rolls around ad you haven't done poo poo, people forget you promised 10+ years ago because so much other poo poo has happened.

and when you see "we can do this in 20 years" you can be certain that they have no plans to do the thing because that gives them a generation for people to forget the promise was ever made.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

so this nanoparticl initiative, did they buy a company that does that for some inexplicabkle reason or is this an employee's 20% spare time project?
my sources in mountain view tell me that the 20% spare time thing is all but dead. you have the option to do your own thing in your 20% time or you can just spend that time working at your regular job, and guess what looks better when bonus and promotion and team reorganization time comes around?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

right and cold fusion is at least theoretically possible.

sure, in the "if these materials behaved in a way that they don't, it would totally work" sense

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

FMguru posted:

my sources in mountain view tell me that the 20% spare time thing is all but dead. you have the option to do your own thing in your 20% time or you can just spend that time working at your regular job, and guess what looks better when bonus and promotion and team reorganization time comes around?

good ol non-mandatory vacation time, my favorite

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I was surprised to find out the average time people spend employed at Google is extremely low, only 1 year. Only amazon was lower lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pram posted:

I was surprised to find out the average time people spend employed at Google is extremely low, only 1 year. Only amazon was lower lol

no kidding? if you've got that kind of turnover, the mystique is going to be rubbed off faster

"i used to work at google." "who hasn't?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

everyone I know that has gone to Amazon has quit in under two years. they all hated it. the super-spergs I know that went to google have never left, the normal ones got out of there as soon as they could.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

pram posted:

lmao if true

fuzzy mammaml please confirm

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
YouTube apparently does a default auto-play of a ""similar"" video after the one you've watched now, which is the worst loving thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rooney McNibnug posted:

YouTube apparently does a default auto-play of a ""similar"" video after the one you've watched now, which is the worst loving thing.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

the deal with 10 year or higher predictions is that it's pretty much the point where, once the prediction time rolls around ad you haven't done poo poo, people forget you promised 10+ years ago because so much other poo poo has happened.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/zuckerberg-sees-50-to-100-million-oculus-units-sold-in-next-decade/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PleasureKevin posted:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i haven't heard anything about fast turnover. 1 year seems crazy low to me and is certainly not the case at my office. if i were google execs i'd worry about key high level people leaving to fb or whatever not some nobody who has been around less than a year and barely knows the ropes.

also of course google is not going to run medical trials. they contract that poo poo out like they already have with that blood glucose contact lens thing.

also lol at lockheed martin. "tokamak is bad here's a linear reactor suitable for an engine we're the best." like a jillion university physics departments don't already have programs for that. http://www.washington.edu/research/energy/researcher/richard-d-milroy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
average google employment ~12 months makes sense though, considering how fast we're hiring

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PleasureKevin posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

2010-era joke: what's the fastest way to get from santa clara to palo alto?

tell a fb recruiter you're leaving google

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

On Friday of last week (Oct 24 or “Devolve Friday” as it’s now known), visitors to the Revolv website were treated with the following headline: ”We want to share some exciting news with you. Revolv is now a Nest company.” Wow! Considering that Nest — the maker of the hugely popular Nest Learning Thermostat and the less-popular Nest Protect smoke/CO alarm — has one of the biggest corporate sugar daddies in the world (i.e., Google), that’s incredibly exciting news. As I stated in a recent review of the Revolv Hub Home Automation Controller: “The Revolv Hub is a powerhouse that looks to be relatively future-proof from a hardware standpoint. A great choice for a newbie.” With the crazy amount of money Google/Nest could throw at it, Revolv could evolve into the epitome of a smart home system hub.

Moving down the Revolv home page, however, readers soon discovered that the exciting news is actually only exciting to the honchos at Revolv. That’s because of the answer to the question all the smart home early adopters who ponied up the $299 for the Revolv Hub were loudly asking — “What happens to my Revolv service?”

Get ready for it. The excitement might be too much for you:

For existing customers, the service will continue to be available and we will continue to offer customer support. However, Revolv will not be made available to new customers.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

every time i click a link in hangouts

i think "gently caress google" not even microsoft would dare to do this garbage. they also route it through a lovely forwarder page so they can harvest data.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we know

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fuzzy mammal remove those options in the next update or ur a bitch

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmaooooooooooooo

andy rubin has left google

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The precise reason for his departure couldn’t be learned but the people familiar with the matter said it involved the structure of his team. While he had broad independence, he was seeking a different arrangement.

larry gave him this gig to avoid the sinking ship narrative from taking hold after andy rubin got kicked out of anroid but of course larry is a lovely manager and google is completely hosed at an organizational level

cremnob fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

down with the google
death to the google

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

it also shows u how serious all of google's "moonshots" are and the prospect for them actually being able to execute on anything lmao

everyone working at google on these "10 year visions" won't be there in 5 years

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i always suspected that google does so many acquhires cause they had terrible turnover and that was an easy way to lock up employees for a few years

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

THC posted:

down with the google
death to the google

same but the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

average google employment ~12 months makes sense though, considering how fast we're hiring

yes its 1.1 years. only amazon and insurance are worse lol

http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/employee-loyalty/full-list

• Locked thread