Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
As a lifelong New Yorker, I honestly cannot understand a single goddamn thing that Andrew Cuomo does. I seriously struggle to think of anyone on the ground who actually likes the bastard - the right despises him uniformly because of his NYS SAFE act, and the left has grown increasingly hostile since the apogee of his support, directly after he legalized gay marriage. What I can't understand is, why the hell would he attack a base of voters who overwhelmingly vote Democrat? It's throwing away votes :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

McConnell's only going to have a 2-3 seat majority and he'd need 51 votes to get rid of the 60 vote threshold on legislation. I don't think he has those votes, since the old timers like Hatch probably won't go for it. I actually think there's a greater chance that McConnell rolls back the filibuster reforms Reid made a year ago for this session because, with Obama in the White House, Mitch doesn't care if it takes 50 or 60 or 70 votes to confirm a nominee, he's going to block 'em all anyway.

Mitch has also said that he'll open up the amendment process again and let the minority party participate and I'm much less confident that he'll keep his word there. All that said, you will see things pass that Reid was previously blocking. The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade bill, Keystone Pipeline authorization, getting rid of the medical device tax portion of PPACA, anything where Mitch can peel off a few Democratic Senators.

I don't see McConnell getting 60 votes for any of those, particularly since every seat at risk this year with the exception of Colorado and Iowa was vulnerable to defecting on those anyway.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Palin had a pretty enough face, non-overweight figure with a cup size above B. She also did things that her constituents fetishize women doing: being pretty and doing manly things like holding rifles.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

As a lifelong New Yorker, I honestly cannot understand a single goddamn thing that Andrew Cuomo does. I seriously struggle to think of anyone on the ground who actually likes the bastard - the right despises him uniformly because of his NYS SAFE act, and the left has grown increasingly hostile since the apogee of his support, directly after he legalized gay marriage. What I can't understand is, why the hell would he attack a base of voters who overwhelmingly vote Democrat? It's throwing away votes :psyduck:

Because "who else are they going to vote for, the greens? :smug:" Also he keeps doing poo poo like this, seemingly in an attempt to build up bipartisan cred. He wants to run for president but I don't think he would win.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I swear, I was looking for reasons to support Astorino. He's apparently good on wetlands and he's responsible for raising the Saw Mill an inch so it doesn't flood so badly.

Horrible on women though.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Even assuming they flipped every single Senate seat up for grabs this year, they'd still be short of a veto-proof majority, so no nothing would change if they get the Senate back apart from Obama not being able to get judicial nominations through, but Republicans have been using a parliamentary procedure called blue slips to block nominees anyway.

e: of course that's assuming Obama actually uses the veto

Right. The risk is less that Republicans will force stuff into law, and more that they'll force Obama into lovely compromises or deals. Beyond appealing to his bipartisanship fetish, they could also more easily set up cliff situations with the debt ceiling or government shutdown.

Additionally, forcing Obama to use the veto power and/or the Senate to filibuster measures changes the "obstruction" dynamic - rather than a situation like we have with the Immigration Bill where Democrats can blame the House for not passing legislation that went through the Senate with 70 votes and the President would sign, now the dynamic would be a minority of Dem senators blocking something the House passed and a majority of Senators would vote for, or Obama vetoing a bill that passed the House and Senate (probably with a handful of picked-off Dem votes).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm just wondering, what would thr implications be if warrentless wiretapping of major elected officials in one particular major American political party revealed that significant sums of foreign money were being used to support populist, anti-government candidates, paid for by a historical rival power using some of their communist oil money?

If you needed warrantless wiretapping to prove that...

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Jagchosis posted:

Wait is he seriously still doing that poo poo? I remember this story breaking over a month ago (friend of a friend is this fucker's doomed opposition's campaign manager) and even members of the GOP were publicly distancing themselves from this guy

Yeah, he should lead by example if he wants to be taken seriously.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

If you needed warrantless wiretapping to prove that...

To get it on tape.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

To get it on tape.

After Romney's 47% gaffe, you can bet the more intelligent of the bunch are being wary of electronic devices.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Can someone parse this? It's obviously meant to drive down black turnout, especially in Michigan, but the angles of attack are...interesting. Sure has a high upvote rating, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSRZo1BE5o

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

I don't see McConnell getting 60 votes for any of those, particularly since every seat at risk this year with the exception of Colorado and Iowa was vulnerable to defecting on those anyway.

There's often potential defectors in non-vulnerable seats. For example, both MN senators would probably defect on a medical device tax repeal (see: Medtronic), CA senators may be vulnerable on TPP due to tech/entertainment industry issues, etc.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Any word on Government Shutdown 2: Electric Boogaloo? I haven't heard anything, which makes sense but I remember hearing whispers about it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dante Logos posted:

Any word on Government Shutdown 2: Electric Boogaloo? I haven't heard anything, which makes sense but I remember hearing whispers about it.

49 D's in the Senate, and its 6 more weeks of shutdown

50 D's and its 104 weeks of awesome

51 D's and above and its Hilldawg's call

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

What will Michele do next? Define some of civilization's rules, possibly become the leader of the civilizing forces.

Michele, I will truly miss you.

Is she still under investigation or is there basically zero chance she's going to be charged with anything, let alone go to prison?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Aliquid posted:

Can someone parse this? It's obviously meant to drive down black turnout, especially in Michigan, but the angles of attack are...interesting. Sure has a high upvote rating, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSRZo1BE5o

Basically, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tLyqfJd54

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Still, the use of the word "neoliberal" either didn't come from a GOP astroturfing group, or it did and they have no idea what it means.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Warcabbit posted:

I swear, I was looking for reasons to support Astorino. He's apparently good on wetlands and he's responsible for raising the Saw Mill an inch so it doesn't flood so badly.

Horrible on women though.

I don't really see any way in which progressive values are better served by having Andrew Cuomo as the Governor of New York and a player in national democratic politics as opposed to Rob Astorino as a weak, Republican Governor of NY who can't get any of his policies passed. Cuomo is pretty much Chris Christie with a D next to his famous last name.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Not really sure if this is the place for this but if we wanna start drinking more, this might be the thing that starts it.

I could go on about how outrageous it is that a list which is supposed to confirm identities doesn't require exact matches in information but we all know it's not actually about confirming identities at this point, right?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

quote:

That was the sales pitch. But the actual lists show that not only are middle names commonly mismatched and suffix discrepancies ignored, even birthdates don’t seem to have been taken into account. Moreover, Crosscheck deliberately ignores Social Security mismatches, in the few instances when the numbers are even collected. The Crosscheck instructions for county election officers state, “Social Security numbers are included for verification; the numbers might or might not match.”

Hmm, looks like there is some fraud going on with this voter process.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In the event the Republicans do gain a majority, am I the only one that doesn't trust Obama to actually use the veto?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

BiggerBoat posted:

In the event the Republicans do gain a majority, am I the only one that doesn't trust Obama to actually use the veto?

I'd like to hope that he'd keep the backbone he finally started to show in the past couple years, but given his first term and all the attempts to appear "bipartisan" by completely capitulating on GOP demands I am not too sure about what will happen.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BiggerBoat posted:

He did, finally, stare them down during the shutdown. I get it, I'm afraid to trust again too, but I think in this instance there's some small reason for hope less black despair than usual.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Veto what, his articles of impeachment?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Robviously posted:

Not really sure if this is the place for this but if we wanna start drinking more, this might be the thing that starts it.

I could go on about how outrageous it is that a list which is supposed to confirm identities doesn't require exact matches in information but we all know it's not actually about confirming identities at this point, right?
I was not aware of this program, but it certainly seems like the ace in the hole for the GOP if they want to continue to win elections despite losing in demographics. Really gross that you've got 80,000 plus voters in VA and GA being purged with no oversight.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I could have seen that voter purge happening under Cuccinelli, but how did it still happen even with a Democratic AG?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I could have seen that voter purge happening under Cuccinelli, but how did it still happen even with a black Democratic AG?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BiggerBoat posted:

When they take the senate and make gains in the House I'd be completely loving stunned if he doesn't capitulate to the "will of the voters" and swing to the right. I think his standing firm during the shutdown was a fluke.

I look forward to another stolen election and absolutely no consequences for those involved.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “An American jihad would embrace the correct belief that if every nation on earth were governed by freely elected leaders and by our Constitution, the world would be a far better place.” ~ :foxnews: "Dr." Keith Ablow, on the necessity of invading Canada.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I could have seen that voter purge happening under Cuccinelli, but how did it still happen even with a Democratic AG?

My liberal utopia of a state of Massachusetts uses it so I don't even loving know. I'm gonna be recording the segment on Al-Jazeera later tonight and try my damnedest not to succumb to the rage.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “An American jihad would embrace the correct belief that if every nation on earth were governed by freely elected leaders and by our Constitution, the world would be a far better place.” ~ :foxnews: "Dr." Keith Ablow, on the necessity of invading Canada.

Holy poo poo that op ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiv-6fMKyY

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shot:

Joementum posted:

Willie Horton's back, baby, in this NRCC ad for Lee Terry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emkbj7Q5psg

Chaser:

quote:

In court Wednesday for a hearing regarding his competency, convicted killer Nikko Jenkins shouted his opinion on the race for Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District.

“Vote Lee Terry guys, greatest Republican ever. He worships my [unintelligible],” Jenkins shouted.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Doctor Butts posted:

Palin had a pretty enough face, non-overweight figure with a cup size above B. She also did things that her constituents fetishize women doing: being pretty and doing manly things like holding rifles.

I skipped a number of pages to get to the one this post is on and I have to say that this post, taken entirely out of context (which I know nothing about), is a fantastic summary of women candidates and the horrible sexism in this country.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

What a Schocker! I expect plenty more of these teachable moments coming from Aaron's NRCC.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

MickeyFinn posted:

I skipped a number of pages to get to the one this post is on and I have to say that this post, taken entirely out of context (which I know nothing about), is a fantastic summary of women candidates and the horrible sexism in this country.

There's certainly a specific subset of likely conservative voters(moreso than Democrats given conservative gender roles and socialization) which is very hung up on the attractivness of a candidate, male and female, as relevant.

Note the "look how pretty our conservative female politicians are" memes, and basically none coming from the Democrat side.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

He wants to create the Reagan Youth, get former Congresspeople elected as leaders of foreign nations and turn government into a religion. Yet you focus on the quote that basically already describes our foreign policy?

That article is legit scary. Happy Halloween!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The best part of that crazy op-ed

quote:

Dr. Keith Ablow is a psychiatrist and member of the Fox News Medical A-Team

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Soviet Commubot posted:

The best part of that crazy op-ed

I'd like to hear what his treatment advice for Napoleonic Complex is

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pegged Lamb posted:

I'd like to hear what his treatment advice for Napoleonic Complex is

Invading Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was not aware of this program, but it certainly seems like the ace in the hole for the GOP if they want to continue to win elections despite losing in demographics. Really gross that you've got 80,000 plus voters in VA and GA being purged with no oversight.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Not to go full MIGF, but doing nothing about this may simply be an attempt at gaining political firepower. If every election this was going to matter in was a lost cause to begin with, then losing in such a fashion while having the evidence to back it up seems to be quite the GOTV motivator come 2016. Why fight a losing battle now when it can become a winning issue later? It does require those battles to already be lost though, and I'm not familiar enough with those races to know if it matters.

Although, I can already here the replies of "If the government can't even keep track of voters and fraud properly, then maybe we should look at alternatives :smuggo:". I mean that's kinda like building a lovely house that collapses so you can discredit houses as a domicile, but par for the course.

• Locked thread