Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

NikkolasKing posted:

The millennia-spanning super-civilization of Centra which was wiped out 80 years before the start of FFVIII has been all but forgotten by pretty much everyone in the game.

It's amazing.

The millennia-old order of Jedi knights was wiped out about 20 years before the start of the original Star Wars trilogy and has been all but forgotten by pretty much everyone in the movie.

Sci-fi and fantasy are terrible with timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
At least Stars Wars you can say parts of space never really believed in the Jedi, and we never see the planets close to the former republic (shut up, re-releases).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

What do people think is the best FF translation?

FF14 has been knocking it out of the park so far with their translation.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXIV. Hands down, the amount of work they put into it and all the great puns and jokes that they manage to get in there are amazing.

FFXIV is just amazing in general.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
In defense of this practice, how many people would remember the Armenian Genocide without the internet? Hell, how many people remember it even WITH the internet? It only happened about a century ago, and there were survivors to tell the tale; it makes sense that, in a world where most people don't go much further than the boundaries of their home town and lack the means to communicate over great distances, a lot of information would be lost. The only people who actually hold onto that kind of knowledge are either historians or the descendants of those affected, both of whom will likely have an incomplete understanding of the events.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

CeallaSo posted:

In defense of this practice, how many people would remember the Armenian Genocide without the internet? Hell, how many people remember it even WITH the internet? It only happened about a century ago, and there were survivors to tell the tale; it makes sense that, in a world where most people don't go much further than the boundaries of their home town and lack the means to communicate over great distances, a lot of information would be lost. The only people who actually hold onto that kind of knowledge are either historians or the descendants of those affected, both of whom will likely have an incomplete understanding of the events.

This give a whole new meaning to the Young Turks.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone know a good combo of dress spheres to use in X-2? I unlocked them all apart from mascot but havent played the game for a couple months and forgot which ones synergise well. Some of the monsters in battle arena are kicking my rear end.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Brasseye posted:

Anyone know a good combo of dress spheres to use in X-2? I unlocked them all apart from mascot but havent played the game for a couple months and forgot which ones synergise well. Some of the monsters in battle arena are kicking my rear end.

Two dark nights spamming darkness and an alchemist keeping them alive.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Really, use any dress sphere. The game isn't hard at all. This isn't a :smug: post, this is an easy game. I think I remember liking Samurai, Gun Mage (?), Alchemist, Dark Knight, Berserker or whatever was good I think.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For the main story you probably can just use whatever but I don't think just whatever works for the optional bosses or superbosses. Maybe it does, I dunno, but I've never seen a Trema video where they beat him with 3 Lady Lucks.

I'm a superficial kind of person and I use Dresspheres when I like the designs. That's one reason I pretty much never use Dark Knights - they look stupid as hell. I guess a lot of the outfits look stupid but...come on, usually at least 1 out of 3 is okay but I can't stand any of the DK looks. I also think DK Rikku or Yuna also uses Auron's Masamune which is an added reason for me to hate it. The Masamune in FFX is one of the worst weapon designs I've ever seen.

I liked using Samurai Rikku because she used Auron's Katana from FFX but she wields it like a normal person would. She can barely lift the thing and has to OOMPH it up every time she attacks.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
3 Gunners and go Pulp Fiction with Trigger Happy. :getin:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

To be fair, a lot of FFX weapons are pretty loving terrible. I'll admit I kind of like the way Brotherhood looks, but that's about it. Auron is also my favorite character in the game tied with Wakka, but I think every one of his weapons look really stupid. I think he'd look better with something that actually kind of resembles a katana, but that's just me.

(Hey surprise, I think FFXII has the coolest looking weapons. Did I mention I like FFXII? Because I like FFXII.)

Edit: To be fair to every game, I think most character's ultimate weapons look like overdesigned dog poo poo.
Edit2: I'll also go on record and say I think Gilgamesh in FFXII is my favorite optional boss.
Edit3: Squall's Lionheart gunblade is ugly as hell. It should've honestly just been like Revolver v.2

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 29, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXII is a great game. It has a lot of better design decisions than X.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXII is a great game. It has a lot of better design decisions than X.

Too bad they forgot to add a story to the game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

3 Gunners and go Pulp Fiction with Trigger Happy. :getin:

This is good to do.

I'll definitely try the 2 dark knight/alchemist team, Rikku is pretty highly leveled as an alchemist already but that is one of the easier classes to grind AP iirc. Only a couple of the things in battle arena have been giving me a headache, mostly the big bird that petrifies everyone in 10 seconds if you don't have the status immunity.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Krad posted:

Too bad they forgot to add a story to the game.

I understood the story pretty okay. It was also surrounded by a lot of my favorite things. My favorite cast of characters since the SNES FFs (Vaan & Penelo are weak, but I like everyone else), Gambits, groovy Star Wars setting, flowery and fun translation, subtle and distinct voice acting... the music was incredible. I loved the summons in the game, hunts, the license board was pretty okay and just made better with the International job boards thing, quickenings were my favorite "limit break" mechanic...

I could go on. I'm not trying to be objective about "this is the best FF", I know a lot of people didn't like the language or the Gambit system or the MMO stuff, but I really think the game deserves a close look. It shook up the JRPG formula just a little bit in my mind, and I can't not love Basch.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 29, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So people here don't like VII's localization. That's fine and I'm kinda over arguing about that.

Maybe it's just because I'm in a huge X-2 mood but I'm gonna say....X-2.
FFXII has an excellent translation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the topic of X-2, is 4 dice or 2 dice stronger against a single enemy? It seems like each dice does less damage with 4-dice, but they also hit twice as many times.

I somehow got about 1% behind in my playthrough of FFX-2. It happened somewhere in chapter 3, though I have no idea what I missed since I followed the guide perfectly. Later on I missed something else, but at least I think I know what it was (didn't watch the commsphere where Barthello destroys the sphere for long enough and wasn't able to get an episode complete on Kilika as a result). I'm hoping that the extra % from changing to New Yevon in New Game+ is enough to get me to 100%.

I have no idea why I'm even bothering when I could just youtube the scene, but it must be done.

Is there some sort of hard mode for New Game+? I like the idea of continuing to experiment with different spheres and garment grids, but it will be really boring if I'm just steamrolling everything until the very end of the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How long did it take any of you to beat Yiazmat, and what was the strategy you employed?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

This is Cloud's field model (that I selected out of like 10 options):

(got a little excited here, excuse the other layer)

I much prefer to just use the original FF7 battle model as the field model. Looks way better than the popeye arms field model of the original, but still fits the game's style and graphics perfectly.

Your screenshots look pretty garbage because while cloud looks kinda cool, it stands out like a sore thumb.

And nobody's ever going to go back and redo the models for every. single. enemy. in FF7, there's too many. So you're stuck with massive inconsistency which looks butt.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Zaphod42 posted:

I much prefer to just use the original FF7 battle model as the field model. Looks way better than the popeye arms field model of the original, but still fits the game's style and graphics perfectly.

Your screenshots look pretty garbage because while cloud looks kinda cool, it stands out like a sore thumb.

And nobody's ever going to go back and redo the models for every. single. enemy. in FF7, there's too many. So you're stuck with massive inconsistency which looks butt.

You can use his battle model. Like I said, it's just one option.
Edit: There are also a lot of the "chibi" models done in hi-res, but they look super strange. It should be noted that someone actually went and removed every popeye field model in the game, so it's not like super-tall Cloud next to tiny people.

Edit: Super-detailed Cloud next to literal garbage people kind of remind me of those PS1 era JRPGs where you can tell who will be a future party member just because they are dressed in more exotic clothing than "shirt" and "pants". Anyone remember that weird time?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 29, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

FFV GBA does have a really good translation.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mischitary posted:

FFV GBA does have a really good translation.

It really did add a lot of personality into the game that wasn't there originally. I use it as an example for how a translation can be better than the original, along with MGR.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

... so Monks do it two-fisted? :haw:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NikkolasKing posted:

FFV Advance, FFXIV, or FFT WotL in some order.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nihilarian posted:

FFXII has an excellent translation.

This is true. The FF4 rerelease also did a pretty decent job while maintaining the silly charm (spoony bards) from the original US release.

FF7 is an odd beast. On one hand, yeah, the translation is bad and got a lot of things wrong. On the other hand, it's an extremely charming translation in some ways and I frankly prefer angry, abusive Cid to whatever he was supposed to be. All the silly lines have sort of reached "spoony bard" levels of nostalgia and fondness with fans. At this point, trying to get it right would just be a wash and if they did a re-release like earlier games are getting, I'd prefer that they just cleaned it up rather than focus on the kind of spergy details that some of the fan translations do. It doesn't matter if some character's name is slightly off. It does matter that a character is incorrectly declared dead. It doesn't matter that certain character's have slightly shifted personalities. It does matter that occasional sentences are broken engrish that MSWord spell/grammar check would have caught.

Obviously, the cut character "Matthias Betrayerson" needs to also be brought back into the game as was pointed out. I can't believe they cut him for a localization release.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bloodychill posted:

FF7 is an odd beast. On one hand, yeah, the translation is bad and got a lot of things wrong. On the other hand, it's an extremely charming translation in some ways and I frankly prefer angry, abusive Cid to whatever he was supposed to be. All the silly lines have sort of reached "spoony bard" levels of nostalgia and fondness with fans. At this point, trying to get it right would just be a wash and if they did a re-release like earlier games are getting, I'd prefer that they just cleaned it up rather than focus on the kind of spergy details that some of the fan translations do. It doesn't matter if some character's name is slightly off. It does matter that a character is incorrectly declared dead. It doesn't matter that certain character's have slightly shifted personalities. It does matter that occasional sentences are broken engrish that MSWord spell/grammar check would have caught.

Do people really have fond memories of the FFVII translation? I mean we've seen some people in here defend it as understandable, and there are certainly plenty moments to make fun of, but I don't know that it's the same as calling it charming. It seems like a more fitting for FFT's original translation, with people's love for lines like "Surrender or die in obscurity" or "Blame yourself or God". I dunno how many people would angrily complain about a new FFVII translation like people (myself included) who prefer the original FFT translation over WotL. But I could be wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

Do people really have fond memories of the FFVII translation? I mean we've seen some people in here defend it as understandable, and there are certainly plenty moments to make fun of, but I don't know that it's the same as calling it charming. It seems like a more fitting for FFT's original translation, with people's love for lines like "Surrender or die in obscurity" or "Blame yourself or God". I dunno how many people would angrily complain about a new FFVII translation like people (myself included) who prefer the original FFT translation over WotL. But I could be wrong.

There are probably a lot of people who would complain that Barrett doesn't have the kinda-racist Mr. T accent anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would, but only because he's always looked like Mr. T to me. Then he got dreads.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Beef Waifu posted:

I would, but only because he's always looked like Mr. T to me. Then he got dreads.

So what you're saying is he should talk like Snoop.

"Cloud... the planet's dyin' errday."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I think it's kind of racist not to acknowledge that some people talk like Mr. T. Mr. T for example talks like Mr. T. Barrett's not the "Washington Redskins" of FF characters. And yeah, he kind of looked like Mr. T before he went into his Snoop Lion phase.

But yeah, he's the kind of character that I would fit into the "charming mistranslation" category. They could tone him down a bit but if they shifted him entirely, it would probably turn old fans off.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
"There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on."
"Let's mosey."

I think that's all I've got as far as "lines I would be a little bit upset if they changed but honestly who gives a poo poo."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno why "The Planet's dyin', Cloud." is so loving funny to me, but god drat.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

No way in hell would new translations do a line as awesome as this, imo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who doesn't like Cloud's battle cry of "let's mosey"? And I personally have always enjoyed the little speeches everyone gives before the final fight with Sephiroth. (I just saw those speeches A LOT thanks to the mod I was playing and failing so many times against Bizarro Sephiroth)
"And Sephiroth! To the settling of everything!" Apparently it sounds awkward to some people but this is a JRPG. It's more comparable to a theatrical performance. You just roll with the fact nobody would ever say anything like that.

And really the whole part where Sephiroth breaks Cloud's mind is great. I wouldn't change a single line from it.
"You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CeallaSo posted:

"Let's mosey."

I think that's all I've got as far as "lines I would be a little bit upset if they changed but honestly who gives a poo poo."

Well, if we're talking about giving a poo poo, I personally wouldn't because it's an 18 year old game in a franchise that is getting a little sadder every year in a Simpsons sort of way. That I'm writing several posts about. gently caress I guess I care a little.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I think it's kind of racist not to acknowledge that some people talk like Mr. T. Mr. T for example talks like Mr. T. Barrett's not the "Washington Redskins" of FF characters. And yeah, he kind of looked like Mr. T before he went into his Snoop Lion phase.

Making a character speak like Mr. T because he is black is honestly pretty racist. It also doesn't make any sense because nobody else from Barrett's hometown speaks like that. Like, at very least, if they'd had everyone from his town speak like Mr. T it might feel less like some translator went "wait, he's black? How do those black people talk?!"

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

bloodychill posted:

But yeah, he's the kind of character that I would fit into the "charming mistranslation" category. They could tone him down a bit but if they shifted him entirely, it would probably turn old fans off.

If they're gonna change anything, uncensor all of his cursing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

CeallaSo posted:

"Let's mosey."

"Shut up! Sit your rear end down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!"