Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of "mediterranean style", if you get your hands on some muffalata it's killer with some cream cheese and 'dines. By far my favorite way to eat'm. So god drat delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tinned Sardines are pretty good, but tinned Mackerel is even better.

The reverse is true for fresh and I have no idea why.

Edit: Has anyone talked about rollmops yet? becaused pickled herrings are my guilty dadfood favourite.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 21, 2014

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Spuckuk posted:

Edit: Has anyone talked about rollmops yet? becaused pickled herrings are my guilty dadfood favourite.

I don't like the look of whatever is inside those fish roll-ups. The fish looks good though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

I don't like the look of whatever is inside those fish roll-ups. The fish looks good though.

That would be called "A pickle". I know. Crazy.

It's a pickle inside of pickled fish.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I need to get some pickled herring

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Fresh grilled sardines with local wine at the market on Sao Miguel in the Azores are culinary perfection. I got wasted on the wine, and couldn't stop ordering more sardines.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Fish rollups". Haha. They should totally market something like that towards kids.

TheImmigrant posted:

Fresh grilled sardines with local wine at the market on Sao Miguel in the Azores are culinary perfection. I got wasted on the wine, and couldn't stop ordering more sardines.

:bahgawd:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

cool thread. I grew up eating this filipino brand

kind of an atypical can for sardines I suppose but it's what I'm used to. Super tasty large fishies in spicy tomato sauce.

Excited to try others, will have to check out these King Oscars that come so highly recommended.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Rollmops with pickled garlic inside are the best thing ever. No one will want to talk to you for days

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i have some king oscars in olive oil and i have some triscuit. do i need anything else? i'll eat my first sardine for the thread at 10pm eastern

naem
May 29, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

i have some king oscars in olive oil and i have some triscuit. do i need anything else? i'll eat my first sardine for the thread at 10pm eastern

Lemon/lime juice or/and hot sauce -or- my personal fav, cream cheese and horseradish

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

naem posted:

my personal fav, cream cheese and horseradish

just recently discovered this, i second that emotion

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sriracha sauce is pretty good as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Casu Marzu posted:

Rollmops with pickled garlic inside are the best thing ever. No one will want to talk to you for days

I have a new mission in life, to eat these.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

naem posted:

Lemon/lime juice or/and hot sauce -or- my personal fav, cream cheese and horseradish

I need to try horseradish. Finely minced fresh garlic is great because of the bite so this sounds even better.

And make your own if you can. You need a food processor and a strong fan+open window to deal with dispersing the fumes. Seriously, I've been tear gassed (south of France of all places) and the effects of horseradish fumes are similar.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thanks for renewing my interest in sardines, thread.

King Oscar sardines with salsa escabeche on toast.

:cheers:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This. This is how you go up from Dadville to Dad Nirvana.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Why do I I feeling compelled to mow the lawn suddenly?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Why do I I feeling compelled to mow the lawn suddenly?

You think you have it bad. I live in an apartment where all the Dad work is done by maintenance/lanscaping people.

I have to resort to hitting my girlfriend and giving her bad sex and telling her no one else would love her as well as I do.
It's more exhausting than mowing or edging/trimming or running the leaf-blowers!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thanks for renewing my interest in sardines, thread.

King Oscar sardines with salsa escabeche on toast.

:cheers:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wheeeeeeeeeeeee buy all the 'dines

Passed by 99 Ranch on the way home from a gig tonight, picked up some cans that looked interesting. The bottom two are shoyu (soy sauce) and miso flavored japanese sardines. Should be fun.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I'm going to a couple of Vietnamese grocery stores that I've never been to before next week. Can anyone recommend any particular varieties of sardines or other canned fish that might be sold there?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Made this thing for dinner last night from Mark Bittman's recipe:

recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR5a-N9bPZw

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

I'm going to a couple of Vietnamese grocery stores that I've never been to before next week. Can anyone recommend any particular varieties of sardines or other canned fish that might be sold there?

I like ligo brand. the ones in tomato sauce with chile. Great on a crusty baguette with pickled carrots and daikon, mayonnaise, sliced jalapenos, and cilantro (banh mi).

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/canned-sardine-banh-mi-recipe.html

edit: tables

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 29, 2014

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Brunswick sardines in olice oil are vile. Threw out the can after a few bites.

On the plus side the Triscuts with dill nad sea salt are good and would make a great backstop for quality 'dines.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Once you've had King Oscar's there's no going back.

BTW, I was at Stop & Shop a few days back and they had a can of escargot by the 'dines. I didn't pick it up at the time because it was like $15 but the decision has been haunting me. Do snails survive the canning process as well as 'dines? Or did I make the right choice after all?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Almost all seafood responds well to canning. It's not so much the canning process as it is the source material that affects how good the final product is. For instance, there's a huge obsession with canned seafood in Spain. And they are serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZusZJloHg

156 euro can of seafood anyone?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Used anchovies for the first time to make a red sauce for some cheap clams and linguine. I used paste, since I like the idea of being able to use just a little at a time.

-Melt half stick of unsalted butter in large heavy pot on med/low
-add 2-3 oz of tomato paste, like half of one of those little cans
-add 1 oz of anchovy paste

The tomato and anchovy pastes will slowly melt into the butter and caramelize together after a few minutes on med/low. This adds a ton of flavor. Once the tomato, anchovy paste, and butter start to turn just a bit darker color, time for the next step.

-add 10+ cloves of garlic to the pot and cook for a few minutes (holy poo poo this part smells amazing)
-add juice from two small cans of baby clams
-good dash of red pepper flakes
-let simmer and reduce for 10-20 minutes on medium, adding baby clams and a bunch of olive oil for the last few minutes. The canned clams are already cooked and just need to be warmed up, too much time in the pot will make them rubbery
-add zest and juice of one lemon at the same time as the baby clams

Serve with grated parmesan and chopped parsley.

You can use that caramelized anchovy/tomato paste as the first step in building any other sort of tomato sauce as well, although for non-seafood stuff I'd use about half as much paste.

edit: forgot about the lemon zest and juice of a whole lemon added in at the end with the baby clams. Really important!

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 30, 2014

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

LongDarkNight posted:

Brunswick sardines in olice oil are vile. Threw out the can after a few bites.
I tried their tomato sauce ones recently and they were not good either, a shameful flavourless deener. Not disgusting exactly but kind of totally pointless.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zeno-25 posted:

Used anchovies for the first time to make a red sauce for some cheap clams and linguine. I used paste, since I like the idea of being able to use just a little at a time.

-Melt half stick of butter in large heavy pot on med/low

The tomato and anchovy pastes will slowly melt into the butter and caramelize together after a few minutes on med/low. This adds a ton of flavor. Once the tomato, anchovy paste, and butter start to turn just a bit darker color, time for the next step.

-add 10+ cloves of garlic to the pot and cook for a few minutes (holy poo poo this part smells amazing)
-let simmer and reduce for 10-20 minutes on medium, adding baby clams and a bunch of olive oil for the last few minutes. The canned clams are already cooked and just need to be warmed up, too much time in the pot will make them rubbery

You can use that caramelized anchovy/tomato paste as the first step in building any other sort of tomato sauce as well, although for non-seafood stuff I'd use about half as much paste.

Sounds good

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

Sounds good

Amazingly good for how easy/quick/cheap it is. Gonna have to add it to the regular lineup.

Has anyone seen Garden Herb Triscuits lately? I think they discontinued my favorite flavor to have with herring. Nabisco :argh:

Smoked herring fillets are also really drat good.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Once you've had King Oscar's there's no going back.
I dunno I kind of like the cheap brands for their fishier taste, I find the expensive boneless skinless ones can practically be mistaken for buying canned chicken breast.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
I thought the Brunswick's in mustard were alright, but they're also the only mustard 'dines I can find. :(

For something truly terrible, try Perla Pacifica. They come in a big (15 oz) can in tomato sauce and chili. I was hoping the chili would add some flavor or spice or something because tomato sauce is easily the worst sardine packing liquid. Alas, no such luck. The 'dines were huge, fell apart very easily, and were overly fishy. The sauce was thin and tasteless. Even after mixing them in with pasta and a proper sauce the fillets were too big to incorporate well - it was a lot of pasta, pasta, pasta, SARDINE, pasta, pasta, instead of everything in each bite.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Zeno-25 posted:

Amazingly good for how easy/quick/cheap it is. Gonna have to add it to the regular lineup.

Has anyone seen Garden Herb Triscuits lately? I think they discontinued my favorite flavor to have with herring. Nabisco :argh:

Smoked herring fillets are also really drat good.

They were on sale at my grocery store along with the dill and olive oil.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5pm, beer and snacks time

missing: pickled beets, optional smoked petite oysters

Haven't been able to find my favorite brand of herring since moving to Colorado. The canned seafood and sausage selections at most places around here are also less than what I'm used to in Chicagoland. :( Lots of other cool stuff from the Middle East, SE Asia, and Ethiopia, though.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 30, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Zeno-25 posted:

-Melt half stick of butter in large heavy pot on med/low

-add zest and juice of one lemon at the same time as the baby clams

edit: forgot about the lemon zest and juice of a whole lemon added in at the end with the baby clams. Really important!

oh hey, I just found Friday night dinner

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just edited the original post to use unsalted butter, since the clams + juice, anchovy and tomato pastes already have a fair bit of salt in them. Also, cook the linguine to 2 minutes premature al dente, then add the pasta to the pot with the sauce and let the pasta soak up some of the sauce after a good stir, so that everything finishes cooking together. Medium stove heat

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 30, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Zeno-25 posted:

5pm, beer and snacks time

missing: pickled beets, optional smoked petite oysters

Haven't been able to find my favorite brand of herring since moving to Colorado. The canned seafood and sausage selections at most places around here are also less than what I'm used to in Chicagoland. :( Lots of other cool stuff from the Middle East, SE Asia, and Ethiopia, though.

Kinda surprised you found Lagunitas in Colorado. You should try some flying dog, it's not that great but the Ralph Steadman labels make it good.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'm hooked on the Wild Planet sardines they sell at Costco. 10 bucks for 6 cans. I have a can of King Oscars that has just been sitting on the shelf since I discovered these babies a couple months ago.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno I kind of like the cheap brands for their fishier taste, I find the expensive boneless skinless ones can practically be mistaken for buying canned chicken breast.

Same here. My corner market carries smoked Seasons brand sardines in olive oil and they're really good but taste more of smoke than fish. More like really nice smoked canned tuna. There should be some fishiness - as long as you don't go too cheap less expensive sardines can be really flavorful while not tasting overly fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
sardinequest has led me to trying these 55 cent Moroccan sardines from the discount supermarket. p decent sardos to be honest. good size, firm meaty texture, some bones but what do you expect for 55 cents. far superior to the crappy Brunswicks that cost twice as much.

• Locked thread