Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw, didn't mean to derail the thread into negativity.

Let me put it this way: Boring would be an insult if they set out to make a really fun, exciting game. But their business plan seems to be going for more of a 'charming diversion', which they are successful at creating. It's just that the charm is mostly subjective, and I found star wars to be more charming than 'big building'.

Tiny tower is like snakes on a plane - it's not a masterpiece that transcends the medium, but they did exactly what they set out to do. In this way it is a success.

eeenmachine posted:

Don't worry about hurting my feelings, honest.

or whatever, seems like y'all do fine.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Whoa, back it up a second. There are people that don't like our games?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm super impressed the "lmao we made loads of money don't give a gently caress," was that subtle. The Mafia or a cartel makes loads of money too and yet they are shameful terrible groups.

you should probably take a breather, catch 5 or whatever.

tiny tower is premium poop game experience. this is not complementary or a detraction, it is just fact.

also stop playing that soccer game, pad, brave frontier, boom beach, whatever the hell.

what it is is the same as what poop is to food.

they are poop* games.

(*not to be confused with pooping games)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Come on thread, we don't need to do this...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

xzzy posted:

Indie game developer compared to organized crime, things I never thought I would read on the internet.

To be fair the mafia gave us much more entertaining content. Goodfellas, The Sopranos, Hogan's Alley.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm super impressed the "lmao we made loads of money don't give a gently caress," was that subtle. The Mafia or a cartel makes loads of money too and yet they are shameful terrible groups.

There are far more shamefully exploitative f2p games out there. Also the devs aren't shitbags like King or Zyanga.

Ignite Memories posted:

Tiny tower is like snakes on a plane - it's not a masterpiece that transcends the medium, but they did exactly what they set out to do. In this way it is a success.

It's fun for what it is and has charm, which is more then can be said about a lot of 'tap and wait' games.

e: Since a guy also asked on the last page: Any other Endless Runners in tune of Punch Quest?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

all of them, it's all of the runners. play jones on fire, support known goon.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

Come on thread, we don't need to do this...

You knew it had to come this way. Like the oroburos so too must this thread devour itself in an endless cycle*.

(*yes the cycle is poop)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Let's get this poo poo back on the rails, the next 5 people brave enough to post an email address (and are running iOS 8) can install the Test Flight app and tell us how horrible GOLFINITY is!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Guys can't we go back to posting Battle Cats screen shots and anime soccer titties?

eeenmachine posted:

Let's get this poo poo back on the rails, the next 5 people brave enough to post an email address (and are running iOS 8) can install the Test Flight app and tell us how horrible GOLFINITY is!

also *snip* thanks!

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 29, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Guys can't we go back to posting Battle Cats screen shots and anime soccer titties?

Just as soon as we have determined what is a good tower defense game and what is a good endless runner.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
<i got the golden ticket>

Nybble fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 29, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Sometimes I just don't get this thread. We should probably rename it the iOS IAP Game of the Week and Friend Tag Thread: Ocassionally Free Game Codes and Also Make Fun of Goon Devs MEGATHREAD

But it's too wordy I suppose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sether@tru7h.org

ME ME ME

I already get 500-1000 spams a day and my filters are great so I have no problems posting an email address!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Let's do this thing! silvermike@gmail.com

ps play all the anime soccer give pladdicus a heartattack

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
me
shoafer0@gmail.com

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Ignite Memories posted:

Just as soon as we have determined what is a good tower defense game.

Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Defender Chronicles 2 and Castle DoomBad and OTTTD and GeoDefense OKAY DONE

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Defender Chronicles 2 and Castle DoomBad and OTTTD and GeoDefense OKAY DONE

This is a good enough list.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am definitely interested in how Nimblebit makes a timer golf game. Too bad there is 5 people already.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Ok, invites sent. Thanks everyone.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Cool, i'm definitely gonna pick up KRF or OTTTD.

If you had to pick one, which would you go with?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Orvin posted:

I am definitely interested in how Nimblebit makes a timer golf game. Too bad there is 5 people already.

It's a desert golf with THREE DIMENSIONAL physics, you can smash the poo poo out of the ball because that's what we all want to do when we play mini golf anyways even though it guarantees you will never finish.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Y'all are negative as hell, Jesus.

Ignite Memories posted:

Today I am the rear end in a top hat who comes in to the thread with a new iphone. Looking for some fun games in the vein of:

Tower Defense
On my android I enjoyed elements TD
Endless Runner
I like Punch Quest but i'm getting bored of it
Click-then-wait
I liked tiny death star on my android but i can't seem to find it on ios
Two-player pass-the-phone [or two-player simultaneous]
For cooperative time wasting

Oh, and a robotron clone.
I'm stoked that crimsonland is on ios and i'm definitely getting that, but since i've beaten it on PC maybe there are others i should try?

Kingdom Rush is dope, the first Fieldrunners 1 used to be really good in the iPod Touch era, Jetpack Joyride is dope, Space Team is among the best multiplayer games ever. Disco Zoo is alright for click and wait, as is that other Kingdom game I've forgotten the name of. I think there might be a Midway Arcade game compilation on iOS, too, but if you're looking for an expanded Space Invaders, Radiant looks gorgeous.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SPACE TEAM! I knew there was something awesome I was forgetting. Definitely have been meaning to try this one out.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Ignite Memories posted:

I'd go with KRF.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

I'd go with KRF.

Agreed. OTTTD is also a battery burner and has a lot more "hey look spend IAP here!" bits

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

OLO is a good 2 player game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, Plants vs Zombies 2 is bad. It was apparently very different at release, but the game is very difficult, and as far as I can tell pretty much can't be won without using power ups that are bought with coins, which are either bought with real money or earned by watching commercials. The zen garden can help get boosted plants, but is timer locked. New plants have crazy prices ($4 for a plant from the first game.)

Apparently it was once considered a model for good freemium titles, but sometime in the last year it was overhauled to change the game layout, up the difficulty, and add advertisements, more cash shop items, and prompts to buy package deals.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I got OTTTD for free and I got bored with it pretty quick.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, Plants vs Zombies 2 is bad. It was apparently very different at release, but the game is very difficult, and as far as I can tell pretty much can't be won without using power ups that are bought with coins, which are either bought with real money or earned by watching commercials. The zen garden can help get boosted plants, but is timer locked. New plants have crazy prices ($4 for a plant from the first game.)

Apparently it was once considered a model for good freemium titles, but sometime in the last year it was overhauled to change the game layout, up the difficulty, and add advertisements, more cash shop items, and prompts to buy package deals.

Is there a single interesting game with a timer? or more to the point, where a timer improves a game?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

Ok, invites sent. Thanks everyone.

Thanks! Question, I have TestFlight installed but every time I click the invitation link in the email it takes me to the app store to download the app again even though that says Open instead of Free/Install. Something I should be doing in between installing TestFlight and clicking that invitation link?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

rotaryfun posted:

Thanks! Question, I have TestFlight installed but every time I click the invitation link in the email it takes me to the app store to download the app again even though that says Open instead of Free/Install. Something I should be doing in between installing TestFlight and clicking that invitation link?

Try using the mail app on your device, or copying the link and opening it in Safari.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Opening it in Mail.app did it. Thank you sir.

Edit: This is a complete departure from anything you guys have done in the past. So based on the title I'm guessing there isn't an end? I've gotten through 22 holes so far with a -3 score.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 29, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I gotta watch this thread closer, get me those invites. :smith:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Aw man. Ghost Trick does not work for iSO 8. I wonder if they're gonna patch it anytime soon. poo poo crashes for me every time I start up.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Aw man. Ghost Trick does not work for iSO 8. I wonder if they're gonna patch it anytime soon. poo poo crashes for me every time I start up.

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to go back and finish Ghost Trick but haven't updated my iPad to iOS 8 yet.. Guess I'm sticking on 7 for a while longer!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Froist posted:

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to go back and finish Ghost Trick but haven't updated my iPad to iOS 8 yet.. Guess I'm sticking on 7 for a while longer!

Gba4ios also doesn't work for 8.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

Once again, Apple does us all a favour.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

tuyop posted:

Once again, Apple does us all a favour.

Don't worry, I'm sure Capcom will fix it soon and you can go back to playing your favourite game instead of posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I hope KOTOR 2 gets fixed so I can play KOTOR 2 on my iPad. I have an iPad.