Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah The Avengers is by no means a great looking movie but the first Harry Potter has gotta be one of the fugliest blockbusters of all time

Especially when you compare it to contemporaneous films - even The Mummy 2, a movie that is literally unfinished, looks better. Nevermind Lord of the Rings, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

PriorMarcus posted:

Except that once Prisoner came out the entire look of the films changed. The Columbus films look loving awful to this day and pale in comparison to anything after Aronofsky took the reigns.

Also, the Marvel aesthetic has actually got a bit more interesting with Phase 2.

Wait Aronofsky did a Harry Potter?!

edit - Also regarding Avengers 2, isnt that Quicksilver from the new X-Men? Whats he doing there?

I havent seen any of those movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bows1 posted:

Wait Aronofsky did a Harry Potter?!

edit - Also regarding Avengers 2, isnt that Quicksilver from the new X-Men? Whats he doing there?

A complicated rights agreement that neither side feels like suing each other over, as far as I can tell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel and Fox share custody for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in movies. Funny enough both Quicksilvers were in Kick-rear end, a Marvel-published book.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Except that once Prisoner came out the entire look of the films changed. The Columbus films look loving awful to this day and pale in comparison to anything after Aronofsky took the reigns.

Also, the Marvel aesthetic has actually got a bit more interesting with Phase 2.

A Darren Aronofsky-directed Harry Potter would be interesting, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Alfonso Cuáron

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Chris Columbus Harry Potter movies look ridiculously awful. The best comparison I can think of is Sam Raimi Spiderman 1 but without any of his energy or imagination.

Personally I think envisioning Hogwarts as a church on a golf course was a bold move.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Especially when you compare it to contemporaneous films - even The Mummy 2, a movie that is literally unfinished, looks better. Nevermind Lord of the Rings, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Where can I read more on this?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Rubber mullet Rock will show you the way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I dunno, I assumed it was semi well known that The Mummy Returns had a set in stone release date that Universal was not going to change, so they rushed like hell through post-production and it really shows.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I dunno, I assumed it was semi well known that The Mummy Returns had a set in stone release date that Universal was not going to change, so they rushed like hell through post-production and it really shows.

Then again Sommers is pretty terrible at using CGI in his movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Then again Sommers is pretty terrible at using CGI in his movies.

That doesn't explain why The Mummy looks way better than The Mummy Returns.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Where can I read more on this?

I want to know more as well. Did some google searching and all I came up with was someone on another forum posting about the ILM budget running out or something. Anyone got a good link on this?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It isn't even like The Mummy Returns has aged poorly. I was aghast sitting in the theater with how lovely it looked.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That doesn't explain why The Mummy looks way better than The Mummy Returns.

But it does explains why The Mummy still looks kinda lovely.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not to derail this discussion further, but has there been a thread/blog/misc resource talking about the Harry Potter movies. I'd love to read what other people see that I couldn't see about them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Mummy looks cool

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Not to derail this discussion further, but has there been a thread/blog/misc resource talking about the Harry Potter movies. I'd love to read what other people see that I couldn't see about them.

HERMIONE DIES

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

HERMIONE DIES

NOOOooOOoo you bitch

you bitch

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

She dies of old age like most of the other major characters.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah The Avengers is by no means a great looking movie but the first Harry Potter has gotta be one of the fugliest blockbusters of all time

The music and cool detailed sets are enough to charm me while I watch it at least.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The MSJ posted:

She dies of old age like most of the other major characters.

After Voldemort blasts them with his latest, most lethal spell of rapid aging!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kiimo posted:

It isn't even like The Mummy Returns has aged poorly. I was aghast sitting in the theater with how lovely it looked.
Even then its still a fun movie at least; the music and characters and sets really save the film.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Teaser trailer for Ex Machina, from the writer of 28 Days Later and Sunshine. I feel kinda cold on it, but that may be because it's not based on the comic book series of the same name. But from the writing credentials, it's good to see that the trailer shows the tonal shift that the movie will inevitably have halfway through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HiQ9K2uf4

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Where are the space zombies?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Chris Colombus' direction is pretty bog standard "Composition 101" in terms of shot construction and blocking... but man at least he achieves that much. The shots aren't flashy or especially interesting, but they at least have a basic level of intent with angle, proportion, eye-line, etc. supporting the story, which is more than I can say for the majority of the Marvel directors. The last few films, have so many perplexing angle choices. Like the crew just wanted to have coverage, and so long as the action was in frame it didn't particularly matter what that frame was.

On Ex Machina, I'll give anything written by Alex Garland a fair shake. Not sure how I feel about the production design, seems impractically flashy for the content, but the final films tone might accommodate it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Bugblatter posted:

Chris Colombus' direction is pretty bog standard "Composition 101" in terms of shot construction and blocking... but man at least he achieves that much. The shots aren't flashy or especially interesting, but they at least have a basic level of intent with angle, proportion, eye-line, etc. supporting the story, which is more than I can say for the majority of the Marvel directors. The last few films, have so many perplexing angle choices. Like the crew just wanted to have coverage, and so long as the action was in frame it didn't particularly matter what that frame was.

I just remember always finding Half Blood Prince to be the ugliest Harry Potter movie. It just looks... murky.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the later movies got really drab production design wise. I recall thinking it looked like Underworld with a moderately larger budget. The photography ranged from solid to gorgeous though. I don't have a clear memory of which film is which after 4 though. Delbonnel shot one and knocked it out of the park. He took the subdued aesthetic and used it to get some really lovely compositions, in a haunting and ghost-like manner.

Edit: Hah, looked it up and Delbonnel's was Half-Blood Prince. I'll have to disagree with you there. Maybe you saw it poorly projected, or in a badly calibrated television? I say that because the way he played with subtle and dark tones could easily go to poo poo if the presentation was somehow sub-par.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 31, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GrandpaPants posted:

Teaser trailer for Ex Machina, from the writer of 28 Days Later and Sunshine. I feel kinda cold on it, but that may be because it's not based on the comic book series of the same name. But from the writing credentials, it's good to see that the trailer shows the tonal shift that the movie will inevitably have halfway through.

Oscar Isaac is a chameleon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm on board.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
When did trailers change? Like.. ok if you look at the old ghostbusters trailer, it doesnt have the same pizzaz as modern trailers. Its actually pretty boring.

The first footage trailer for Jurassic Park is somewhat meh.

Thinking back to when i was younger, the first trailer I ever really got loving pumped for was Episode 1. And even that one...

So at what point do trailers become a bigger deal. I feel like its probably episode one. Where people would go see movies JUST to see the trailer.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah the later movies got really drab production design wise. I recall thinking it looked like Underworld with a moderately larger budget. The photography ranged from solid to gorgeous though. I don't have a clear memory of which film is which after 4 though. Delbonnel shot one and knocked it out of the park. He took the subdued aesthetic and used it to get some really lovely compositions, in a haunting and ghost-like manner.

Edit: Hah, looked it up and Delbonnel's was Half-Blood Prince. I'll have to disagree with you there. Maybe you saw it poorly projected, or in a badly calibrated television? I say that because the way he played with subtle and dark tones could easily go to poo poo if the presentation was somehow sub-par.

Half Blood Prince (movie 6) has a lot of blue/sepia colors and is a bit muted, but I love it because it's so moody it fits the plot. I only have it on dvd and it's still gorgeous though on my tv, especially the ending.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BlueBayou posted:

When did trailers change? Like.. ok if you look at the old ghostbusters trailer, it doesnt have the same pizzaz as modern trailers. Its actually pretty boring.

Thinking back to when i was younger, the first trailer I ever really got loving pumped for was Episode 1. And even that one...

So at what point do trailers become a bigger deal. I feel like its probably episode one. Where people would go see movies JUST to see the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKbULrB9Z8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

I'd say in the mid 90s, and primarily with action movies. Theaters were just getting much louder at that point (consolidation of American media is a theme of the 90s). I remember the ID4 trailer being ear-smashing.

But as early as '93 trailers were being pumped up.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2014

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I think the Charlie's Angels 2 trailer is a good late example of the shift to style over substance. I worked with the guy who cut it and he said they spent weeks trying to work out a coherent edit that told the story, but it was impossible because the movie was awful and didn't make any loving sense in the first place. Eventually, they just said "gently caress it, we do a music video" and whammo, 37 million dollar opening weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2XOYXwZJQ

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

BlueBayou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DFvWLXv9U

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

second-hand smegma posted:

I'd say in the mid 90s, and primarily with action movies. Theaters were just getting much louder at that point (consolidation of American media is a theme of the 90s). I remember the ID4 trailer being ear-smashing.

But as early as '93 trailers were being pumped up.

I worked as a projectionist and showed many different ID4 trailers, including the movie itself, many many times and don't remember it being any louder than other trailers. Movies has been the last bastion of proper dynamic sound, though it's been slipping lately and started showing signs of the loudness war.

The thing that happened during the 90s though, was theaters getting digital sound and THX, with it's stupid standards and references levels. Every theater is calibrated to play movies at a specific level (at our theater it was 6 out of 10), but I have only once shown a movie at the recommended level, and that was because the mixing was completely hosed and the dialogue was way way too low in the mix. The movie was The Mummy 2. Even when screening movies only for myself, I didn't turn it up to reference, and I loving love loud movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trump posted:

I worked as a projectionist and showed many different ID4 trailers, including the movie itself, many many times and don't remember it being any louder than other trailers. Movies has been the last bastion of proper dynamic sound, though it's been slipping lately and started showing signs of the loudness war.

The thing that happened during the 90s though, was theaters getting digital sound and THX, with it's stupid standards and references levels. Every theater is calibrated to play movies at a specific level (at our theater it was 6 out of 10), but I have only once shown a movie at the recommended level, and that was because the mixing was completely hosed and the dialogue was way way too low in the mix. The movie was The Mummy 2. Even when screening movies only for myself, I didn't turn it up to reference, and I loving love loud movies.

I was a projectionist for a little while, too and I know a bit of what you're talking about. The ID4 thing is anecdotal, since I was in middle school and went to see Mission: Impossible several times, I remember the ID4 trailer being incredibly loud, but that theater was running DTS in its earlier days...so it's possible that it wasn't calibrated for the theater properly or that they were just trying to compete with the stadium multiplex across the street by being all about decibels.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

second-hand smegma posted:

I was a projectionist for a little while, too and I know a bit of what you're talking about. The ID4 thing is anecdotal, since I was in middle school and went to see Mission: Impossible several times, I remember the ID4 trailer being incredibly loud, but that theater was running DTS in its earlier days...so it's possible that it wasn't calibrated for the theater properly or that they were just trying to compete with the stadium multiplex across the street by being all about decibels.

I doubt they got a DTS disc for a trailer, atleast I never heard about it happening here in Denmark.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Interesting to hear about the loudness war. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that movies have slowly been getting louder, but, just like when I go to small club shows and cover my ears, figure it's the kind of thing I'll just get teased for. It's one of my regrets with IMAX and all of the Nolan features that have shown there- TDKR was ear-splittingly loud, with bass so high in the mix you couldn't hear any dialogue (nevermind what Bane was saying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jewmanji posted:

Interesting to hear about the loudness war. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that movies have slowly been getting louder, but, just like when I go to small club shows and cover my ears, figure it's the kind of thing I'll just get teased for. It's one of my regrets with IMAX and all of the Nolan features that have shown there- TDKR was ear-splittingly loud, with bass so high in the mix you couldn't hear any dialogue (nevermind what Bane was saying).

Man, you should have heard Bane in IMAX before they fixed his voice. Almost literally incomprehensible.

Edit- oh hey, you can:
http://youtu.be/dZW5qyc2g6U
Now imagine that garbled nonsense coming out of speakers that are literally splitting your ears with the bass from the background music blasting.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 1, 2014

• Locked thread