Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Attestant posted:

It's pretty bad, honestly. Small arena with no real gimming. Just spawns small waves of normal scavs with the occasional badass version. Even the basic bandit combat arena in BL2 was much more interesting and dynamic.

And it's the same thing 5 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reward is pretty baller for melee skill classes (a shield that stores a status effect when you are initially affected by it and transfers it to an enemy when you smack them).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

CJacobs posted:

The reward is pretty baller for melee skill classes (a shield that stores a status effect when you are initially affected by it and transfers it to an enemy when you smack them).

I have one of those, it's called the Aspis :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, I wouldn't know, I don't play as boring characters.

edit: By which I mean, Athena is probably my least favorite character. Her action skill feels kinda wimpy even though I'm pretty far down its skill tree. I have been thinking about re-spec-ing into the melee tree just so I can run around smacking people to death with the aforementioned shield.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

CJacobs posted:

Oh, I wouldn't know, I don't play as boring characters.

edit: By which I mean, Athena is probably my least favorite character. Her action skill feels kinda wimpy even though I'm pretty far down its skill tree. I have been thinking about re-spec-ing into the melee tree just so I can run around smacking people to death with the aforementioned shield.

You can actually use roid shields with the Phalanx tree pretty well. You can pop the Aspis when your sheilds go down, and you get full damage absorption on the front arc, and health regen while you smack guys for extra damage. The extra time up holding the Aspis makes it a lot easier to charge it to high damage levels.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Alright, so I played through the game as Nisha. I beat it around level 28, and proceeded to beat the raid boss solo without ever going into ffyl. (Nisha is loving amazing). (I may have a lvl 25 orange 88 fragnum pistol)

So, I can't decide if I should play TVHMas Nisha or if I should start a new game as someone else. (I'm thinking Claptrap).

Eventually, I want to beat the game with everyone simply to experience the dialogue options. Should I go ahead and play TVHM with Nisha, or should I save that for after I have played regular mode with every hunter?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Skandranon posted:

You can actually use roid shields with the Phalanx tree pretty well. You can pop the Aspis when your sheilds go down, and you get full damage absorption on the front arc, and health regen while you smack guys for extra damage. The extra time up holding the Aspis makes it a lot easier to charge it to high damage levels.

Shame that you can't really use the celestial gladiator class mod with a roid shield. With it you basically have to go backwards to the enemy if you intend to have the shield up. It really breaks up your melee dashing too if you suddenly lose all your damage when you have to pop it.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I don't find Athena boring at all. Aspis is a very swingy powerful skill that also rewards good positioning and awareness. The elemental tree encourages an active play style with quick weapon switching and ammo/reloading awareness, as well as aerial shooting for the smite cooldown. The melee tree (although busted as hell with roid shields) has you zipping around the battlefield smacking scavs, and has a reasonably high skill ceiling (knowing the dash distance, positioning to airborne targets etc).

The other characters' active skills don't seem particularly interesting. Claptrap's is random, Wilhelm's is really passive, and Nisha's is just "press button to shoot at heads". I'm sure they are all fun in their own way, and obviously everyone has their own taste though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Athena's elemental tree is amazing :allears: She absolutely wrecks bosses, at least on NG. Pop Aspis, fire away with whatever shock weapon you have, throw the shield for the Zeus storm and watch the stacks build up.

It's less good for short, "bursty" fights where you only fight a couple enemies at a time though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Artificial Idiocy posted:

The other characters' active skills don't seem particularly interesting. Claptrap's is random, Wilhelm's is really passive, and Nisha's is just "press button to shoot at heads". I'm sure they are all fun in their own way, and obviously everyone has their own taste though.

I found Nisha to be more interesting in the Law and Order tree, where you don't use Showdown much. You want to focus on getting your Order stacks up, and then doing a ton of electrical damage with your melee override. Lots of time spent up in the air.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I don't find Athena boring at all. Aspis is a very swingy powerful skill that also rewards good positioning and awareness. The elemental tree encourages an active play style with quick weapon switching and ammo/reloading awareness, as well as aerial shooting for the smite cooldown.
While I was farming Red Belly I would get 400-500 stacks up before they split. If I then killed a minion as I was waiting for them to become damageable again I could destroy them both with a slam and 3 seconds of supercharged TMP fire.

Athena is super fun.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Can one of you post a build spec of her right tree? I tried it and I was severely underwhelmed. The only thing that felt useful was Maelstrom, but that's a 1 pointer in the top tier. All tthe other stuff I hardly noticed or straight up didn't help in a fight. I was playing with other people so half the time things would die before they had a chance to be affected.

I get the feeling that Athena actually shines more on her own than in a group overall actually.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

While I was farming Red Belly I would get 400-500 stacks up before they split. If I then killed a minion as I was waiting for them to become damageable again I could destroy them both with a slam and 3 seconds of supercharged TMP fire.

Athena is super fun.

Wait you can farm Red Belly? I thought all the non raid bosses were one and done?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Chasiubao posted:

Wait you can farm Red Belly? I thought all the non raid bosses were one and done?

Nah, there are quite a few bosses that you can farm, the fact that there are bosses who only spawn once and have designated drops sucks a whole lot though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Finally got around to playing a little Pre-Sequel with my friend last night after reading a lot of mediocre reviews about the game. They must all pretty much be from people who didn't really care for Borderlands 2, I guess, because I liked BL2 and I so far like this game! Looking forward to going balls deep into Athena's Maelstrom tree. poo poo out thousands of elemental bullets as fast as I can.

...unless someone can convince me that the Aspis tree makes that shield nuts. I'd love to become basically invincible and throw shields around like crazy but I'm not sure I see the stats on that tree backing it up.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The aspis shield is great because you are invincible and can rez multiple allies with the capstone.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

AirRaid posted:

Can one of you post a build spec of her right tree? I tried it and I was severely underwhelmed. The only thing that felt useful was Maelstrom, but that's a 1 pointer in the top tier. All tthe other stuff I hardly noticed or straight up didn't help in a fight. I was playing with other people so half the time things would die before they had a chance to be affected.

I get the feeling that Athena actually shines more on her own than in a group overall actually.

This was my build by the time my Athena hit level 50. The build really goes leaps and bounds when you get Zeus' Wrath and Wrath Of The Goddess since it makes getting hundreds of maelstrom stacks within a few seconds trivially easy. This was with a Stormweaver mod to maximise electrocution damage, if you get a legendary mod then you'd want to swap some points around so you get the most out of it. Grab a laser or an SMG and just shoot everything with electric bullets forever, then throw your shield and cover everything in the room in fire and electric DoTs. Highest maelstrom stack I've seen is about 550~ or so.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

AirRaid posted:

I think I'm running something like this:
http://thepresequel.com/Athena/0555141000100000000000412515015001

I have only used this as a solo build, and I'm not sure how well it would work in a group.
Mod has Hold the line Vanguard and cooldown reduction. I build stacks with a lightning Rosie.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh gently caress I didn't consider combining Zeus' Wrath and Wrath of the Goddess :supaburn:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I just got the ZX-1 with Athena, and it builds stacks like crazy if it can ignite people. It seems like each laser is individually igniting targets, such that firing at 1 guy can have dozens of fire DOTs running at once, ALL building me stacks. I easily got to 200 stacks, just 1 point in Maelstrom, from shooting at 1 guy for 5 seconds.

Flash Freeze looks interesting... combining the ZX-1 with the Frigidia could allow you to indefinitely lock in your stacks, while doing insane levels of cryo damage.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 29, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not sure what the hell Claptrap's Punkbot does, but it two shot Deadlift. That was unexpected.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Finally caught up with this thread. A few thoughts that I haven't seen mentioned (coming from Wilhelm with the robo-punch skill):

For 95% of the game, cryo is amazing. Nothing else like it. A blue Acrobatic Arctic Oz Kit 10 levels below you is better than a purple oz kit of any other kind at your level for enemy waves. Butt stomp everything.

Also, acrobatic means PLUS SPEED after a butt stomp. All that back tracking that everyone was complaining about early on can be cut down with +30% speed. It's a big difference. Just wish there was an icon for it.

The excalibastard is amazing and the best weapon I have even though it's 13 levels below me. Perfect accuracy makes it an great sniper. The 100% freeze chance on the nova that happens after melee-shattering a mob makes it a great up-close weapon.

drat this game is fun :D TVHM seems a bit more challenging then it was in BL2, but double jumps, cryo and butt slams make it more fun.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Happy Big Fun posted:

The excalibastard is amazing and the best weapon I have even though it's 13 levels below me. Perfect accuracy makes it an great sniper. The 100% freeze chance on the nova that happens after melee-shattering a mob makes it a great up-close weapon.

drat this game is fun :D TVHM seems a bit more challenging then it was in BL2, but double jumps, cryo and butt slams make it more fun.

You fool! You can only pick up the Excalibastard once per playthrough. You'll be stuck with that under-leveled weapon FOREVER!

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Skandranon posted:

You fool! You can only pick up the Excalibastard once per playthrough. You'll be stuck with that under-leveled weapon FOREVER!

It's awesome. I plan to pick one up on my next character around level 20, then start a third character and pick a third up at 50. That will be the contents of my shared stash :cheers:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Skandranon posted:

Once per character, isn't it? Just jump onto a friend's alt, ram through to that area, grab a higher level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can pretty much grab the gun whenever you want and it'll remain useful for the rest of the playthrough, it's just that drat good. Therefore I personally recommend you wait until TVHM to grab it but it really doesn't matter when.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Or, you know, Gibbed. :shrug:

(I haven't found the Excalibastard yet, but I'm basically playing the game blind for this first run.)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm wondering how a build like this would be for Athena. Constantly meleeing and shooting for stacks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Where is the Excalibastard?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Since a guy above is talking about playing it blind I'll spoiler tag it: It's on the lefthand side of Stanton's Liver, near the start of the map, across a cliff face you can jump on that's not on the minimap. You can see it from the big bridge near the start of the area.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Got a level 30 Celestial Lawbringer mod with Nisha today, watched all difficulty I was having with TVHM melt away. Even without it being high level, it's a ridiculous thing to see.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

watho posted:

Where is the Excalibastard?

You'll also need 2500 badass points to get it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Since a guy above is talking about playing it blind I'll spoiler tag it: It's on the lefthand side of Stanton's Liver, near the start of the map, across a cliff face you can jump on that's not on the minimap. You can see it from the big bridge near the start of the area.

Aight, thanks a lot. Gonna enjoy grinding it later. :v:

E: Apparently the Excalibastard doesn't count as a legendary or something. Can't grind it. :shrug:

watho fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 29, 2014

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Because I have very weird morals regarding cheating in video games and am not willing to just straight up mod my profiles... are there any particularly good ways to earn badass ranks? I know doing drat near anything will gradually level them up, but I'd like to know if there's anything particularly simple or obvious I might be missing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a list in game you can check, isn't there? I know there was in 2.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Backhand posted:

Because I have very weird morals regarding cheating in video games and am not willing to just straight up mod my profiles... are there any particularly good ways to earn badass ranks? I know doing drat near anything will gradually level them up, but I'd like to know if there's anything particularly simple or obvious I might be missing.

Shoot everything. Open every container. Grab everything you can. Use all types of weapons and elemental damage. SHOOT EVERYTHING.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Just ignore most of the area specific challenges, a lot of them don't even work.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I hope they aren't required for that one achievement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

E: Apparently the Excalibastard doesn't count as a legendary or something. Can't grind it. :shrug:

You can't grind "one-of-a-kind" legendaries. There's only one Excalibastard in the entire game so it'd make sense for them to not let you grind it, just to prevent you from getting rid of the only one that exists either by accident or dicking over your friends or whatever. Other legendaries can potentially be found in infinite quantity. There's one other that you can't get anywhere else so you can't grind it but I can't remember what it is.

edit: The reward for To Arms, maybe? I think?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You can't grind "one-of-a-kind" legendaries. There's only one Excalibastard in the entire game so it'd make sense for them to not let you grind it, just to prevent you from getting rid of the only one that exists either by accident or dicking over your friends or whatever. Other legendaries can potentially be found in infinite quantity. There's one other that you can't get anywhere else so you can't grind it but I can't remember what it is.

edit: The reward for To Arms, maybe? I think?

You can't grind legendary Oz kits anyways as far as I know so it doesn't matter.

I also really appreciate how Sera Guardians doesn't give you second winds when killing them. Especially during the RK5 fight.

• Locked thread