Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

One thing nobody had brought up: Kahndaq was brought up in his episode, paving the way for Captain Marvel/Shazam and Black Adam?

It as also in the Suicide Squad Arrow episode. These shows love dropping references for comic book fans and it doesn't really mean they're going to go there. On the other hand, sometimes the refs do end up going somewhere so who knows.

Also EBR is just one of those actresses who has chemistry with whoever they put across from her. She has sizzling chemistry with Amell, Routh and Gustin, which is great but has the effect of making the love interest scenes with Laurel and Iris pale in comparison.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Panama Red posted:

And as an actual PhD student working on his dissertation it never ceases to amuse me that Iris has all the time to do everything in the world but work on hers.

This bugs me too. If she is far enough along in her dissertation for it to be the scary consequence for losing her laptop, what is she still doing taking classes? And is she a journalism PhD student?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This bugs me too. If she is far enough along in her dissertation for it to be the scary consequence for losing her laptop, what is she still doing taking classes? And is she a journalism PhD student?

Wasn't the dissertation 9 months or so ago? I thought it happened the night of Barry getting hit by lightning?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Episode 4 breaks the whole formula, basically. No metahuman villain of the week, no pep talk (besides romantic), and no Wells teaser.

It actually doesn't. It's the exact same formula, but Snart takes Barry's place. He loses to a new and unforeseen threat, studies it and adapts, and triumphs in the end. That's Barry's path the last few episodes, just with a different protagonist. They don't break the formula, they just changed one thing: the main character.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite part of Iris' PhD program is that it basically lets her switch majors. I forgot what she was in the pilot, but then in episode two she's just like "hey, I can take some journalism stuff!" and off we go. Its not completely unheard of for a PhD program to offer classes in related majors, but the whole handling of her supposed academic career is pretty bad.

Not quite as bad as Arrow's butchering of the legal system, though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The second you start looking at any superhero show/movies particulars it can very easily fall apart.

Should't try to apply real world logic to comic book stuff.

Like I'm pretty sure if you calculated how fast the Flash would have to be going to save those people on that train, it would have to be significantly faster than his current top speed on the show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Panama Red posted:

Plus I was groaning through Caitlin's boyfriend's flashback. I just plain didn't care, and that dialogue was excruciating. "What about Italy? Pizza... and wine... and pizza!" Who the gently caress plans a romantic vacation to Italy to eat pizza? What are you, a nuclear physicist or a ninja turtle?

My wife and I absolutely chose to go to Italy on our honeymoon so we could drink wine and eat pizza. I'll make sure to break the news to her that she's not married to an Electrical Engineer, but a Hero in a Half Shell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Felicity's whole "When it comes to hacking, I'm the Fastest Woman Alive" bit was pretty badass, despite her own feelings on the subject.

And Gustin was pretty hilarious at selling Barry's "I don't NOT know who The Arrow is..." hemming and hawing.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Also Black Adam just showed up in the Arrow 2.5 comics in Khandaq.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Daric posted:

Also Black Adam just showed up in the Arrow 2.5 comics in Khandaq.

Shazam! :suspense:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
From what I understand, so far its a fellow going by a variant on the name and having some of the vague aesthetics (lightning bolt scar for example), but nothing definite on whether or not they're the real deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't - a thing that's been part of the Black Adam side of the Shazam mythos for the last... decade or so, I would guess, is how Black Adam is a cultural hero in Kahndaq. A reminder of a greater time when they were the reigning power of the region, a man from among the people made into a god. And post-Flashpoint, there are a bunch of terrorists in Kahndaq who invoke the imagery and, I am not making this up, actually manage to find a spell (invoking the egyptian gods, even though they're technically not to do with the powers anymore) that succeeds in brining Adam back to life. Again.

So I could see this play out either way. It could be the comics having Ollie deal with a severely toned down Black Adam, or touching upon the mythos to establish it for potential later usage down the line. I mean, it'd involve another dude in red with a lightning bolt motif...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No one is going to be a better Black Adam than Dwayne Johnson. Movie, TV, whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress the DC Cinematic Universe. We don't need the loving Justice League. Ollie, Barry, Ray and Ronnie can start the loving Justice Society and it's a fair bet it'll be better than what hits theaters. Or if we get three more heroes we can have the Seven Soldiers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just hit up my local comics shop and they had Flash's born to run, the first set of issues by Mark Waid!

Just so my comics mind doesn't get completely warped, I was trying to recall how Wally West has been portrayed over the years. The Justice League cartoon largely had him as the wisecracking rookie. I can't recall how Grant Morrison wrote him in his Justice League stories though - as I recall the wide-eyed newbie was Kyle Rayner. Anyone care to jog my memory on that front?

Is the "Barry Allen who returned from Crisis" character close at all to the TV versions? I know they share some backstory, but is the comics version so wide eyed and optimistic?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

gently caress the DC Cinematic Universe. We don't need the loving Justice League. Ollie, Barry, Ray and Ronnie can start the loving Justice Society and it's a fair bet it'll be better than what hits theaters. Or if we get three more heroes we can have the Seven Soldiers.

Cisco makes 5, just watch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scyantific posted:

You think he could Vibe with the other heroes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scyantific posted:

Whoops forgot about him.

bobkatt013 posted:

You think he could Vibe with the other heroes?

If you're going to make bad puns I will turn this thread around and take us right back home young man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You guys are forgetting Laurel :ssh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rarity posted:

You guys are forgetting Laurel :ssh:

And Roy! poo poo I suck at this game. Way we're going we'll have too many for 7S. Guess it'll have to the the All Star Squadron!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
As soon as we get any kind of League Roy is just going to walk. :(

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is the "Barry Allen who returned from Crisis" character close at all to the TV versions? I know they share some backstory, but is the comics version so wide eyed and optimistic?

'Serious but optimistic' is how I'd describe it, especially after Flash Rebirth. He had a bit of angst due to the implications and ethics over his revival, but got over it from what I recall. The thing was that he was very much a 'veteran' Barry Allen, and so had had a bunch of experience to call upon and reaffirm his stance in life. Between that and Johns' unabashed affection for the character, he wound up as a temporary Blue Lantern (their schtick is hope) during Blackest Night.

Show Barry is kinda like that, but without the certainty of experience to back him up. He takes his job, his motivation, and the value of the lives he saves - or fails to - seriously, but because he's still working through the whole process of how this is even meant to work, as possibly the first fullblown superhero of his world, new developments and uncertainties can blindside him, and sometimes he'll stumble. Notice how more comfortable he is in his day job, which he has quite some time to get used to, compared to the more involved superheroic work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone should definitely make a compilation video of every time someone says Snart in that episode. Please do this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh man a Justice Society for the Television series and then Justice League for the Movies would be awesome.

Even being the 4th episode this is really drat good. I mean people love arrow but it was a pretty rocky but promising start as well.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2014

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

CobiWann posted:

For all the science based villains so far, I wonder how the show would pull off someone like Doctor Alchemy.

They'd probably make him closer to his original identity of Mr. Element, where he used an "Element Gun" to transmute things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Horrible Taste posted:

They'd probably make him closer to his original identity of Mr. Element, where he used an "Element Gun" to transmute things.

That Cisco invented.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Horrible Taste posted:

I'd be down with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This show does reward you for paying a little bit of attention. Two "blink and you'll miss them" name drops in one episode.

Host of the trivia quiz? Oswald Loomis a.k.a. Prankster. Guy who called West and ratted out Snart? Dexter Myles a.k.a. the future curator of the Flash museum. Nice.

Also, this thing I made a long time ago feels like it belongs here:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Deadpool posted:

Someone should definitely make a compilation video of every time someone says Snart in that episode. Please do this.

Also, put the Liz Lemon clip at the end of it, tia.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Massively surprised at your reactions to Wentworth Miller. I thought he was THE WOOOOORST. Every scene he was in was so dumb and he was so cheesy and fake and bad. It wasn't scenery chewing, because it was more under-acting than over-acting.

Yeah, on a show with a lot of dodgy performances, he stood out as particularly awful. There was a lot to like about the episode but he's a really poor choice to play a recurring villain.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
CAPTAIN COLD ON OUR TV SCREENS

I couldn't stop smiling. THE PARKA!!!

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I am really digging the show, other than:
-when supposedly smart people say dumb and wrong science stuff.
--E=MC Hammer? Really?
--In the pilot, someone said Barry was moving "xxx knots per hour." God drat it, it's just "knots", and who the gently caress uses knots other than pilots and boat people?

Also, hey Flash, maybe instead of showing up and standing in front of the villain and letting him explain his plan and then begin to execute it, maybe you should just arrive at super speed and take away his gun and handcuff him to a police station. I know, superhero rules, but c'mon man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nate Falls posted:

--E=MC Hammer? Really?

What is wrong with a goofy pub quiz name?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You made some good points but you lay the hell off E=mCHammer

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Nate Falls posted:

I am really digging the show, other than:
-when supposedly smart people say dumb and wrong science stuff.

I too get upset about this when watching the man who breaks the sound barrier.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think maybe if you start to make a post in this thread about real science or something similar you should probably stop and not make that post because it's dumb every time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pub trivia names are *supposed* to be cheesy. It's a law.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Clarification: My beef wasn't that the name is cheesy, which is totally kosher, just that the explanation from a Smart Person is "It's Einstein's equation for kinetic energy" (it's not). Just let it be a dumb joke, instead of making it a I'M SMART I SWEAR moment and failing at that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If your trivia team name isn't some sort of malignant pun, you should be kicked out of the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nate Falls posted:

Clarification: My beef wasn't that the name is cheesy, which is totally kosher, just that the explanation from a Smart Person is "It's Einstein's equation for kinetic energy" (it's not). Just let it be a dumb joke, instead of making it a I'M SMART I SWEAR moment and failing at that.

He's a forensic scientist, not a physicist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nate Falls posted:

Clarification: My beef wasn't that the name is cheesy, which is totally kosher

Was this intentional, because that's a pub quiz team name right there

• Locked thread