Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Coming up with fixes to the current sensor system is pointless because the system is fundamentally broken. Every single thing about it is completely binary. You in range/out of range. You can lock them/cant lock them. You're under ECM/not under ECM. Theres no middle ground. Plus all mechs have equally good sensors, so a fast heavy is just as good a scout as any light. Reworking the entire sensor system is whats needed but I don't think PGI is going to put that kind of effort in.

If I were fixing it though? First, all mechs would have varied sensor types based on their role and overall performance. For example: heavy and assault brawlers like the Atlases or Direwolves would get pretty lovely sensors: Slow to lock on (increased missile lock times) and short range (300m), but fairly quick to get access to the paper doll once they do so they know where to shoot.

Combat lights such as the Jenner and Firestarter would get medium range (400m) sensors with average lock times (using the current lock times as average) and slightly faster paper doll access times. Support lights like the Raven or Spider would get long range sensors (650m or more), maybe slightly faster lock and paper doll access times.

Mediums and heavies would have their sensors somewhere between those numbers, depending on chassis, its role, and its performance. And of course any of them could be changed for balance purposes to give a boost to an underperforming chassis.

Range would modify the lock time. For example, a mech has a sensor range of 600 meters. A target at up to 300 meters would be locked at the targeting mechs normal speed. However, at the 600m mark, lock speed would be 75%. Target sharing would work pretty much as it does now, with the change that the reduced sensor ranges on some mechs require them to be closer to share data. However, indirectly spotted mechs or mechs outside of the mechs normal sensor range take 10% more time (on top of the reduced lock time due to range)to get missile lock and mechs must have the paper doll access (even if scrambled by ECM coverage) before the target is shared to teammates. If a mech has not been targeted by any enemy in the past 60 seconds, the paper doll must be reacquired instead of the current system where its unlocked for the remainder of the match.

ECM would no longer makes covered mechs invisible to sensors outside its 180m bubble. Instead, having ECM equipped halves the range the carrying mech can be targeted from. So a brawler with a sensor range of 300m wouldn't be able to target until 150m, but a scout with 650m range sensors could target from 325m. This only applies to the mech with ECM equipped. All mechs under ECM coverage are visible and targetable on sensors, but lock times are doubled and the paper doll is scrambled until ECM coverage is removed. The ECM carrier also gains these benefits. ECM on counter would function as it does now and disable one enemy ECM.

BAP also retains its close range ECM counter, as well as removing negative lock time penalties from indirect fire and ECM coverage and speeds up the paper doll access times.

NARC is pretty much the same, except that it also decreases lock times on the affected mech.

This opens up the opportunity for a wide variety of sensor-based balancing changes/quirks, as well as more modules PGI can get people to sink cbills or MC into. Anyways, those are my :words: on how I'd change the sensor system, please tell me how I am both dumb and wrong about all of this.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It doesn't really matter because the current system is lovely garbage and they are completely incapable of changing it to make it better.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Great Beer posted:

Words on sensors...

With that you could even create a "tier" of sensors for each mech giving those proposed ranges and create a module to increase to the next tier by 1 step. Each sensor range/benefit is associated with a sensor tier. So, now an assault has their lovely tier 1 sensors, they could get an "advance sensor" module and now have a poor tier 2 sensor that would be equivalent to what some medium or maybe a heavy mech already has. While some lights might have a tier 3, the raven or spider would have a tier 4 and their advance would allow a tier 5 that only they could get.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

It doesn't really matter because the current system is lovely garbage and they are completely incapable of changing it to make it better.

Jesus gently caress, shut up. No one cares that you hate this game and don't play it anymore. No one cares that you think PGI are bad developers and an awful company.

We know all that and we have some hope anyway. Go be a sad sack somewhere else.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lemming posted:

Always in the back of the mind when discussing what they could do to fix things :gbsmith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

Jesus gently caress, shut up. No one cares that you hate this game and don't play it anymore. No one cares that you think PGI are bad developers and an awful company.

We know all that and we have some hope anyway. Go be a sad sack somewhere else.

Don't worry, soon the despair will take you and you will become like me.

Soon, soon.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just saw a 2 x LL raven get 5 kills and do 1012 damage.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Kazvall posted:

That's pretty pants-on-head crazy right there. How many 2x LL shots would it take to hit 1012 damage anyway?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Stalkerr posted:

That's pretty pants-on-head crazy right there. How many 2x LL shots would it take to hit 1012 damage anyway?

Just a couple criticals to ammo. :getin:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stalkerr posted:

56 perfect shots.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kazvall posted:

TWO large lasers? :eyepop:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I have my best games when people just ignore me and I pick at them all round, as a 3L.

I'm starting to like the 3xML/2xSRM4 build though. I got a couple 5 kill rounds last night.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Pycckuu posted:

TWO large lasers? :eyepop:

I run a 2x ERLL Raven 3L and use it to poke at mechs from halfway across the map. I'm sure it's really annoying to play against.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

How do like half the people in this thread have hilarious red text?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

various cheeses posted:

I'm starting to like the 3xML/2xSRM4 build though. I got a couple 5 kill rounds last night.

2xML SRM6 NARC :catdrugs:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Don't worry, soon the despair will take you and you will become like me.

Soon, soon.

I'm actually pretty happy, because I get to call someone out on being an rear end. It's not everyday you get to watch someone squirm as their bullshit is washed away.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

I'm actually pretty happy, because I get to call someone out on being an rear end. It's not everyday you get to watch someone squirm as their bullshit is washed away.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

So that's it? Your reply is to empty quote me, as if that somehow shows that I'm doing what you are doing, instead of you doing it. As a tactic, that was marginally effective for Republicans, but it really just looks sad and devoid of thought.

If your only purpose in this thread is to poo poo on anyone who tries to engage with this game, then leave. We all know how bad it's been, we've all moved beyond that stage of our lives, and we are all working to try to make something better out of what we have.

We aren't going to join you in your crying corner, and if all you can post is resentment that nobody is hanging out with you in a puddle of tears, don't post. It's that simple.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

EoRaptor posted:

So that's it? Your reply is to empty quote me, as if that somehow shows that I'm doing what you are doing, instead of you doing it. As a tactic, that was marginally effective for Republicans, but it really just looks sad and devoid of thought.

If your only purpose in this thread is to poo poo on anyone who tries to engage with this game, then leave. We all know how bad it's been, we've all moved beyond that stage of our lives, and we are all working to try to make something better out of what we have.

We aren't going to join you in your crying corner, and if all you can post is resentment that nobody is hanging out with you in a puddle of tears, don't post. It's that simple.

He's just mad he doesn't have a way to play out his power fantasies of being a leader anymore and he's too prideful to just come back and admit that the game still has some good components (Other goons).

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

More quirks! Good times.

quote:

Spider 5V - Tier 5 Skirmisher
Medium Pulse Laser Range +12.5%
Energy Weapon Range +12.5%
Medium Pulse Cooldown +12.5%
Energy Weapon Cooldown +12.5%
Medium Pulse Duration -12.5%
Laser Weapon Duration -12.5%
Medium Pulse Heat Gen -12.5%
Energy Weapon Heat Gen -12.5%

Spider 5K - Tier 5 Support
ER-Large Cooldown +12.5%
Energy Weapon Cooldown +12.5%
ER-Large Range +12.5%
ER-Large Duration -12.5%
Laser Weapon Duration -12.5%
Ballistic Weapon Range +15%

Kintaro - 18 - Tier 3 Support
LRM/5 Cooldown +7.5%
Missile Weapon Cooldown +7.5%
LRM/5 Heat Gen -7.5%
Missile Weapon Heat Gen -7.5%
Laser Duration -10%

Wolverine 6R - Tier 4 Support
AC/5 Cooldown +20%
Ballistic Weapon Cooldown +20%
Missile Weapon Range +12.5%

QuickDraw IV-Four - Tier 4 Support
Additional Armor (LA&RA) +10
Additional Structure (LL&RL) +7
AC/5 Cooldown +10%
Ballistic Weapon Cooldown +10%
AC/5 Velocity +10%
Ballistic Weapon Velocity +10%
Missile Weapon Range +12.5%

QuickDraw 4G - Tier 5 Skirmisher
Additional Armor (LA&RA) +10
Additional Structure (LL&RL) +7
Medium Laser Range +12.5%
Medium Laser Heat Gen -12.5%
Energy Weapon Heat Gen -12.5%
Large Laser Duration +12.5%
Laser Weapon Duration +12.5%
Energy Weapon Cooldown +15%

Catapult A1 - Tier 3 Support
Missile Weapon Heat Gen -10%
Missile Weapon Cooldown +10%

Hunchback 4P - Tier 3 Skirmisher
Additional Armor (RT) +18
Additional Structure (RT) +12
Medium Laser Cooldown +7.5%
Energy Weapon Cooldown +7.5%
Medium Laser Duration -7.5%
Laser Weapon Duration -7.5%
Energy Weapon Heat Gen -10%

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm that rear end in a top hat running TAG/NARC/ECM/ERLLas on a -3L and cashing in more per match than my hero mechs. With LRMs so en vogue once again I'm not only a credit to the team but also just raking it in. It's glorious.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Don't worry friends, we're all mechbros here. I'm just hanging out and having a good time, waiting for the day that the game is fun again. It just might be a while, ha ha, but if you like it, then I'm happy for you :)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Smugging it up over the fact you still play doesn't change the fact that Lemming is right about the game not being fun anymore. I spent a night dropping with goons recently and it was, unfortunately, not as fun as I remembered. This wasn't because of some sort of rose-tinted nostalgia or something either. It was quite easy to identify problems.

One of the biggest issues I saw was cramming 24 mechs into maps that weren't designed for it. Spreading out the spawns seems to have helped, but few players seem to enjoy conquest (which could help make it significant) and generally teams just immediately blob up. On older maps like Frozen City that often had an 8v8 standoff at the dropship, it's now... a 12v12 standoff at the dropship.

While there are speed differences, players also tend to make mechs that operate within the same general speed thresholds; generally you're moving as a group at maybe around 80 kph, or as a light sprinting at the maximum. This has made me wonder if allowing a much higher speed cap might help out lights and mediums. The fact a lot of heavies can haul rear end while out armoring and out gunning mediums still makes that weight class feel anemic by comparison.

An exception are the clan mechs, where a Stormcrow is a murdermachine. Clan mechs definitely punch above their weight, and at good range. Things like the SRM-loaded Stormcrow (that puts the old Splatcat far to shame) aside, most clan mechs seem kit out with a crazy array of long-range weapons that remain pretty effective compared to shorter ranged weapons even if you close the distance -- better DPS and heat efficiency on a clan large than an IS medium laser.

The UI has a whole host of problems that still haven't been ironed out, and a lot of fundamentally confusing design problems. The "smurfy style" or "mw2 style" mech overview still is nothing more than a nonfunctional display, which honestly surprised me a little. Some of the new weapon module changes are interesting, but it was a lot of trouble finding the ones I wanted. Module management all around seems bad and unreliable even if you know the right steps. I still wish engine management was handled more like armor management or engine management in past games, where you would have a cost associated with changing your engine rating but didn't need to actually juggle individual engine items between each chassis. It's just a huge pain in the rear end, makes experimentation difficult, cements building around discrete engine sizes even more, and that could've been resolved a while ago.

Also, match wait times were still kinda crazy. Combined with lower match earnings overall, this makes any kind of grinding irritating I'm sure. It feels like we spent more time waiting to find a match and fighting the UI than actually playing. We had some alright matches still in the end, but there was a lot of stupid poo poo and stupid rounds to slog through.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

novaSphere posted:

I'm that rear end in a top hat running TAG/NARC/ECM/ERLLas on a -3L and cashing in more per match than my hero mechs. With LRMs so en vogue once again I'm not only a credit to the team but also just raking it in. It's glorious.

The hero spider is probably one of the most 'profitable' mechs right now. Ember should also be doing extremely well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah so LRMs actually did seem better (in terms of tradeoffs and teamwork with narc/tag) than they've been in the past. That was the bright spot.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Profit Robot, post-quirks:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=130&l=be0997d76782a86842934dd4efb9aa57bfedbfdc

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Chronojam posted:

This has made me wonder if allowing a much higher speed cap might help out lights and mediums. The fact a lot of heavies can haul rear end while out armoring and out gunning mediums still makes that weight class feel anemic by comparison.

:psypop:

If anything the speed inflation needs to be curtailed. Mediums should be doing 60-80kph with a handful of 97kph outliers, lights should be doing 100-120kph. Heavues mostly 64kph, assaults in the 48-53kph area.

Asking for lights to go faster than the current 170kph cap is just ridiculous.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

If anything the speed inflation needs to be curtailed. Mediums should be doing 60-80kph with a handful of 97kph outliers, lights should be doing 100-120kph. Heavues mostly 64kph, assaults in the 48-53kph area.

You both really want the same thing, which is a greater difference in speed between different classes.

I will comment that, given the problems with the current hit detection code and the limited size of most maps, higher speed would not work, and lower speed would make accurate shooting so easy the first person to pull the trigger would always win.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Regardless of how you do it, the speeds need to be spread out, and there need to be some mechs that are faster, and a reason to bring them. Given construction rules and equipment, mechs can definitely go faster than the speed limits they've introduced. Allowing lights and mediums to more easily flank/maneuver/disengage would be great.

I'm not really convinced that base turrets were a great thing either on your average map.

e: I'd much rather err on the side of "He went by too quick to even shoot" than "Headshots on all the heavies" combined with bigger maps overall. The old maps are just simply too small for the weapon engagement envelopes and number of mechs as it is, so I'm not super concerned if a light or medium can be in your base that quickly. That's honestly way the gently caress more interesting than playing the waiting game at a standoff, and/or being afraid to move between cover.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 29, 2014

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lights being slower is certainly a terrible idea.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

various cheeses posted:

It doesn't help that their actual function (scouting) is pretty much useless/not applicable, either.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/171550-rolands-treatise-on-ecm-and-sensors/ Speaking of active/passive sensors and making lights and mediums scouts, here's a pubbie's post on ECM and sensor interplay that I actually completely agree with, if you do the whole brown sea thing. There's more discussion beyond the OP but he sets up a good set of ground rules and concepts that PGI will never implement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

EoRaptor posted:

So that's it? Your reply is to empty quote me

I think he's empty quoting you because you're going on and on bitching about him while claiming to be happy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Oh woops we need one more of these circle jerks, one second...

I like the game!

FAGGGGGGOOTTTTT!

I hate the game!

QUEEEEEEEEER!

I have no opinion at all!

loving HITLER!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

various cheeses posted:

Well they could up the possible engine limit on lights IF they'd remove the go faster "skill". Or switch it with an acceleration/decceleration skill. Which also makes a bit more sense. Thus the Mad Cat would be "stuck" at 81 kph or whatever. And lights could still go 170 kph, if engine limits would be slightly raised.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If I recall correctly the current light speed limits were put in place largely because their netcode couldn't handle lights moving so fast so they would teleport around and be virtually unhittable. Unless they've significantly improved this aspect of the netcode, they are probably technically unable to allow lights to go much faster.

Edit: whoops old and already covered

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lemming posted:

If I recall correctly the current light speed limits were put in place largely because their netcode couldn't handle lights moving so fast so they would teleport around and be virtually unhittable. Unless they've significantly improved this aspect of the netcode, they are probably technically unable to allow lights to go much faster.

Edit: whoops old and already covered

I wouldn't mind this if they put in collision and knocking down lights again. That was pretty awesome :getin:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Because Internet robots only attracts the most rational balanced goons. :shepface:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Kazvall posted:

Because people who play this game have no aversion to being around people/things/games that actively hate them.

I am pretty loving proud of my red text though, and I love bad boxart megaman so the new AV is pretty nice too. Please don't tell Transient People though, I am sure it would break his little heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Had another decent match.

• Locked thread