Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wikkee! posted:

This looks like a cutscene from an early PlayStation game.

I'm not seeing a problem here. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

C-Euro posted:

What are Kor, anyway? White elves humans?
ftfy

C-Euro posted:

What makes them special?
They're just another race of beings out there, in Magic cosmology. I heard one guy with the theory that they're humans who become so aspected to White mana they take on the color, which also explains where the Vedalken come from.

For reference, the Vedalken are literally just blue people. Some of them have four arms, but that's a mutation special to Mirrodin and occasionally Ravnica's Simic guild.

Dear god I'm a nerd.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/527515835376480256

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Squire finally gets its revenge!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hello, oddly specific dune blast.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That misses allmost defenders. It's got a lot of utility, I think, packed below the surface.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

This just seems too good in general for blue, even absent the Lieutenant clause.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 29, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

My buddy has a Doran the siege tower edh deck. He's going to love this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

This just seems too good in general for blue, even absent the Lieutenant clause.

It's only legal in Eternal formats so whatever, seems fine.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
btw, Stoneforge Mystic isn't Nahiri but Nahiri's design was inspired by Stoneforge Mystic
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/post/101271064144/nahiri-is-fantastic-and-so-is-the-story-much-thanks#notes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

It's only legal in Eternal formats so whatever, seems fine.

I get its a Commander product, but goddamn a 5/5 Hexproof for 3UU is kind of ridiculous. Hexproof is kind of nuts. Its just such a blatant color pie violation that it bothers me.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 29, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:dance: I'm so all over this white deck.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Alright, streaming Standard Jeskai Ascendancy at https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

Do you like solitaire? Then I have the deck for you!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my favorite part about that is that the red equivalent is 2 mana worse, isn't even a 7/7 for 7, and has a really mediocre trigger with lieutenant.

Meanwhile blue gets a hexproof 5/5 for 5 which becomes a 7/7 with a commander out and you draw 2 if it gets blocked.

Yeah I'm on to you Maro. :argh:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Zoness posted:

Bring it to school for Show and Tell, obviously.
They're kinda big but if you could sneak them in, that would really be a surprise.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I do like how smart-color blue's second-in-command is a big dumb Kraken.

Lieutenant Kraken! Report!
:krakken:
Dammit Lieutenant Kraken, I need details! What's the tactical situation!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I do like how smart-color blue's second-in-command is a big dumb Kraken.

Lieutenant Kraken! Report!
Dammit Lieutenant Kraken, I need details! What's the tactical situation!

Did you read the flavor text man? That Kraken is a genius not a big dumb one.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
I think every colour has a reason to complain about the animals/monsters they get saddled with.

Blue: "I don't care how smart it is. It's a loving Kraken."
Green: "At least it's not a tree. Have you ever tried talking to a tree? Sometimes it doesn't talk back just to gently caress with your head."
White: "Goats... goats everywhere..."
Black: "Why do we get the gross ones? Bats, rats, snakes, spiders... urgh. You guys can't complain."
Red: "NO YOU STUPID FLYING LIZARD, THAT'S OUR CAMP!"

:downsrim:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

I dunno, they're pretty drat similar looking, right down to the shape of their hair:

If these are meant to be different, distinct characters, i'm really not seeing it.

Called it

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think WOTC is just giving a very obvious nod to the fan-theory that Stoneforge Mystic was the Lithomancer. Whether Stoneforge Mystics in general look like the Lithomancer is kind of irrelevant. They're just recasting the person in Stoneforge Mystic as Nahiri. Basically, the person in Stoneforge Mystic is Nahiri, but the Stoneforge Mystic you summon isn't Nahiri. Despite the fact that this makes no sense. :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 29, 2014

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Never trust anyone that plays white decks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

I think WOTC is just giving a very obvious nod to the fan-theory that Stoneforge Mystic was the Lithomancer. Whether Stoneforge Mystics in general look like the Lithomancer is kind of irrelevant. They're just recasting the person in Stoneforge Mystic as Nahiri. Basically, the person in Stoneforge Mystic is Nahiri, but the Stoneforge Mystic you summon isn't Nahiri. Despite the fact that this makes no sense. :v:
It's clearly a retcon, but they literally copied the entire character design from one to the other.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Angry Grimace posted:

dragon enthusiast posted:

btw, Stoneforge Mystic isn't Nahiri but Nahiri's design was inspired by Stoneforge Mystic
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/post/101271064144/nahiri-is-fantastic-and-so-is-the-story-much-thanks#notes

Stoneforge Mystic looks so much like Nahiri because Nahiri was a Stoneforge Mystic before she became a planeswalker and thus an all-powerful god. They have a uniform, basically.

Kabanaw fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

They maybe made the outfit a bit too similar. Elspeth Tirel was a Knight of the Reliquary, but they didn't copy the outfit and hairstyle from one to the other so exactly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I think my favorite part about that is that the red equivalent is 2 mana worse, isn't even a 7/7 for 7, and has a really mediocre trigger with lieutenant.

Meanwhile blue gets a hexproof 5/5 for 5 which becomes a 7/7 with a commander out and you draw 2 if it gets blocked.

Be fair.

Maro doesn't have a whole lot to do with the supplemental products.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

None of this, of course, explains why Stoneforge Mystic is more powerful than Nahiri, the Lithomancer.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

None of this, of course, explains why Stoneforge Mystic is more powerful than Nahiri, the Lithomancer.

Is she though?

Like ok, in a competitive magic context Stone Forge Mystic is better, that is true. BUt that is largely a factor of mana costs.

If Nahiri cost the same as Stoneforge, then I think Nahiri is more powerful. I tend not to look at mana cost when considering how powerful something would be in canon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Planeswalker lose power when they are no longer creatures

See: Venser

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Madmarker posted:

Is she though?

Like ok, in a competitive magic context Stone Forge Mystic is better, that is true. BUt that is largely a factor of mana costs.

If Nahiri cost the same as Stoneforge, then I think Nahiri is more powerful. I tend not to look at mana cost when considering how powerful something would be in canon.

Also, Stoneforge is only more powerful given that you have certain other cards in your deck- just in a vacuum, one on one, the Planeswalker is clearly better than a squire.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yeah I would bet the art description for this was "Draw Stoneforge Mystic standing up and in greater detail."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

See also Teferi. Losing his spark was apparently the best thing that ever happened to him.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I can only imagine the level of rear end kicking Sarkhan and Gideon would be able to give if they lost their spark, considering what they can do already.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is that a tattoo on her shoulder?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

Kayfabe explanation is when a planeswalker (player) summons another planeswalker (card) to their aid, the summoned planeswalker is only compelled to help as much as they feel like. Summoned creatures are at the full command of the player. Planeswalker Nahiri could still fetch that Batterskull for you, she just doesn't like you enough to do so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Also, Stoneforge is only more powerful given that you have certain other cards in your deck- just in a vacuum, one on one, the Planeswalker is clearly better than a squire.

Actually a 5 mana 1/1 token generator is probably not that much better than a squire and that's what this walker more or less is without equipment.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Count Bleck posted:

If only they helped us out th-

A couple of friends are very miffed that there is a hoser for their precious Hexproof.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It seems like you guys are equating a permanents abstract "power" with its playability, which I would argue is not the same thing. Venser the Sojourner can give you an emblem that exiles a permanent whenever you cast a spell! That's more powerful than Venser the creature, although the creature is much more efficient and thus more playable.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lets Pickle posted:

It seems like you guys are equating a permanents abstract "power" with its playability, which I would argue is not the same thing. Venser the Sojourner can give you an emblem that exiles a permanent whenever you cast a spell! That's more powerful than Venser the creature, although the creature is much more efficient and thus more playable.

Venser, Shaper Savant can bounce spells from the stack.

That's kind of a pretty unique thing to do.

I mean, in a lot of cases it's the same effect as Remand, but there are corner cases where it's not.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Is that a tattoo on her shoulder?

Nah, just some minor molten metal on her shoulder and hand as you can tell by the steam coming off of it. Not a huge deal it seems considering her non-reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Frozen_flame posted:

If only they helped us out th-

A couple of friends are very miffed that there is a hoser for their precious Hexproof.

I'm so glad this exists. I've already considered running Glaring Spotlight. I'm loving the flavor behind cards that remove hexproof, shining a big light on creatures.

• Locked thread