Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guys, I looked at the Senate projections on HuffPo and it was really depressing :smith: Remember the days right after the shutdown ended, when everyone was certain the GOP's days were over unless it could actually change its message? What happened to those days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

My Imaginary GF posted:

Invading Russia.

God. drat.
:vince:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

Guys, I looked at the Senate projections on HuffPo and it was really depressing :smith: Remember the days right after the shutdown ended, when everyone was certain the GOP's days were over unless it could actually change its message? What happened to those days?

The public and media have short memories.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FaustianQ posted:

Not to go full MIGF, but doing nothing about this may simply be an attempt at gaining political firepower. If every election this was going to matter in was a lost cause to begin with, then losing in such a fashion while having the evidence to back it up seems to be quite the GOTV motivator come 2016. Why fight a losing battle now when it can become a winning issue later? It does require those battles to already be lost though, and I'm not familiar enough with those races to know if it matters.

Although, I can already here the replies of "If the government can't even keep track of voters and fraud properly, then maybe we should look at alternatives :smuggo:". I mean that's kinda like building a lovely house that collapses so you can discredit houses as a domicile, but par for the course.

Yeah nothing gets people out and voting like purging their ability to vote when they get to the polls.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

loquacius posted:

Those days were an illusion because it was a stupid statement for anyone to make if they were following electoral politics.

Anyhow the real answer is New Jim Crow and jerrymandering. The GOP is doomed unless they change their messaging, but that timeline is 10-15 years minimum, and that's more than enough time to try and convince brown folks to vote for you.

Texas, for instance, would be purple now if not for some clever loving over of it's electorate that should keep it red for at least 10 years.

As far as national presidential elections go, the game is already over for them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah nothing gets people out and voting like purging their ability to vote when they get to the polls.

"Kate from DCCC: URGENT--WE SURRENDER"

"rapid-response@dscc.org: unbelievable disaster (NBC story)"

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 29, 2014

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

loquacius posted:

Midterm election in the 6th year of a Democratic presidency is like the worst-case scenario possible for Dems electorally, nothing here is too surprising.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that 62/38 (looking at current 538 numbers) isn't that bad. Given the extreme pessimism of D&D/Dems in general if it was flipped and we were up 62/38 you guys would still all be predicting a loss. I know that the ridiculous misplaced optimism of GOP with their unskewed polls looks silly but I almost wish the Democratic base was more like that, instead they seem to be so pessimistic that I could see it depressing turnout. A lot of people already seem to have given up before the election has even happened yet.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 29, 2014

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think you misunderstood: the point isn't to not do anything, period, but rather lose the losing battle now, and use the outrage and energy to both GOTV and combat voter suppression in the next election cycle. The political calculus for this round maybe that it's too goddamn late to influence anything.

Lose 2014, but come swinging in 2016 with better ways to combat suppression and ads about how the unamerican fucks on the right are trying to steal your most basic right to vote. If this doesn't happen then I'll have some shoes to eat, but it seems the most likely move. Or the Democratic party is hopelessly incompetent.

mmm, delicious leather.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pegged Lamb posted:

I'd like to hear what his treatment advice for Napoleonic Complex is
Milk and welding.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Invading Russia.
Lawdy

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 29, 2014

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FaustianQ posted:

I think you misunderstood: the point isn't to not do anything, period, but rather lose the losing battle now, and use the outrage and energy to both GOTV and combat voter suppression in the next election cycle. The political calculus for this round maybe that it's too goddamn late to influence anything.

Lose 2014, but come swinging in 2016 with better ways to combat suppression and ads about how the unamerican fucks on the right are trying to steal your most basic right to vote. If this doesn't happen then I'll have some shoes to eat, but it seems the most likely move. Or the Democratic party is hopelessly incompetent.

mmm, delicious leather.

I'm sure that people are still going to be up in arms in 2 years about the voter suppression this year, just like they didn't forget the government shutdown already!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

He wants to create the Reagan Youth, get former Congresspeople elected as leaders of foreign nations and turn government into a religion. Yet you focus on the quote that basically already describes our foreign policy?

That article is legit scary. Happy Halloween!

You joke but

quote:

MacKinnon, a former aide to Ronald Reagan, recently published The Secessionist States of America: The Blueprint for Creating a Traditional Values Country...Now. According to Right Wing Watch, during a recent interview with conservative radio host Janet Mefferd promoting the book, MacKinnon "specifically cited advances in gay rights as a reason for Southern states to leave the U.S. and create a new country." His proposal -- including floating "Reagan" as an "interim name" for the new country -- received widespread ridicule.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What's even better is that it looks like he lost a job as a columnist over that stupid book.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/10/28/anti-gay-columnist-mackinnon-out-at-the-tampa-t/201343

quote:

Citing unnamed sources, Tampa outlet Creative Loafing reported Monday that MacKinnon had been fired, speculating that it was "because of the embarrassment to the paper." Tampa Tribune publisher Brian Burns confirmed to Media Matters today that MacKinnon was indeed leaving the paper, but declined to give a reason. According to Burns, "at this point, no he is not employed."

Asked by Media Matters to clarify if MacKinnon had been fired or quit, Burns said, "I really can't comment on it, it's a personnel issue so we gotta keep that internal."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, “Depending on the administration, I’d say 'House of Cards,’ There was a pretty bad vice president in 'House of Cards,' but I’ll leave it at that. And I like Joe Biden, so I'm not talking about him." ~ Eric Holder, on which TV show most accurately depicts DC.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, “Depending on the administration, I’d say 'House of Cards,’ There was a pretty bad vice president in 'House of Cards,' but I’ll leave it at that. And I like Joe Biden, so I'm not talking about him." ~ Eric Holder, on which TV show most accurately depicts DC.

I think Holder can say that and not have to exclude Biden, because, who can seriously hate Biden? He's the Vice President of our hearts.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dante Logos posted:

I think Holder can say that and not have to exclude Biden, because, who can seriously hate Biden? He's the Vice President of our hearts.

He can be my vice president any time. :allears:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Yeah. I don't really know who can hate on the Vice President. Ridicule? Sure. Are they trying to imply that, aside from Dick Cheney, that opposing parties hated Al Gore and Dan Quayle while in office?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lote posted:

Yeah. I don't really know who can hate on the Vice President. Ridicule? Sure. Are they trying to imply that, aside from Dick Cheney, that opposing parties hated Al Gore and Dan Quayle while in office?

Lots of people hated Tipper because of the parental advisory stickers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MickeyFinn posted:

I skipped a number of pages to get to the one this post is on and I have to say that this post, taken entirely out of context (which I know nothing about), is a fantastic summary of women candidates and the horrible sexism in this country.

The context doesn't make it any better.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I've never heard much about Dan Quayle besides him getting smacked down by Lloyd Bentsen in the 1988 veep debate.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I've never heard much about Dan Quayle besides him getting smacked down by Lloyd Bentsen in the 1988 veep debate.

In terms of public speaking, Dan Quayle makes George W. Bush look like Martin Luther King Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJVfd5WRhE

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Sid Meier finds him endlessly amusing.

(Also the quote for the Future Tech is "The Future will be Better Tomorrow.")

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

computer parts posted:

Sid Meier finds him endlessly amusing.

(Also the quote for the Future Tech is "The Future will be Better Tomorrow.")

Dan Quayle is basically second only to Yogi Berra in quotables like these.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shear Modulus posted:

Dan Quayle is basically second only to Yogi Berra in quotables like these.

To be fair, Yogi Berra really didn't say everything he said.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shear Modulus posted:

Lots of people hated Tipper because of the parental advisory stickers.

This is primarily what led my 18 year old self to vote for George Bush.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember back when, he was the butt of every other political joke because, well, he's not that bright and made a very public spelling mistake once.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Talmonis posted:

This is primarily what led my 18 year old self to vote for George Bush.

I wonder how many kids coming of age during those days were driven to the GOP because the Clinton administration made noises about violent video games and music to mollify the "pro-family" crowd.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I remember back when, he was the butt of every other political joke because, well, he's not that bright and made a very public spelling mistake once.
He also had Gohmert-disorder, having this urge to hold forth even when his brain is like "uh dude I got nothing here maybe we should just say something generic".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shear Modulus posted:

I wonder how many kids coming of age during those days were driven to the GOP because the Clinton administration made noises about violent video games and music to mollify the "pro-family" crowd.

Probably white, probably male people that are at minimum 33 today. I don't know, it sounds like a trend that pushes them to the GOP anyway.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

computer parts posted:

Probably white, probably male people that are at minimum 33 today. I don't know, it sounds like a trend that pushes them to the GOP anyway.

31 here, and the "Think of the Children!" crap from the Clinton administration(and in particular from Hillary) made me not even vote until 2008 when I began to realize what the GOP really was thanks to this forum.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He also picked a fight with Murphy Brown, thus proving the wisdom of the old saw about not arguing with people who buy ink by the barrel.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does it make me a bad person if I vote "no" on this sales tax increase for better preschool in the Denver area: http://co.chalkbeat.org/2014/10/27/voters-weigh-sales-tax-measure-for-denver-preschool-program/

I'm strongly for universal preschool, but I also strongly believe that the taxes that pay for it should be income or property based, not sales-tax based.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Oh please, most of that "parental advisory" stuff was meant for the Negro Rap Music. Most white folk stuff was hardly that explicit, and none of what was explicit never had the same stigma as poo poo like Straight Outta Compton. It's definitely video games for white dudes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Does it make me a bad person if I vote "no" on this sales tax increase for better preschool in the Denver area: http://co.chalkbeat.org/2014/10/27/voters-weigh-sales-tax-measure-for-denver-preschool-program/

I'm strongly for universal preschool, but I also strongly believe that the taxes that pay for it should be income or property based, not sales-tax based.

So vote no.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Also thought this was interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/opinion/nothing-in-moderation.html?_r=0

quote:

Earlier this year, to further strengthen their case, Broockman and Ahler designed and conducted an innovative online survey of 1,240 respondents recruited by Survey Sampling International. The survey asked voters not only whether they supported the Democratic, centrist or Republican positions on a range of issues, but also offered respondents the option of taking more extreme positions – further to the left or right — than most Democratic and Republican members of Congress would be willing to support.

In the case of taxes, for example, the survey offered respondents seven choices, of which four were “extreme.”

The extreme choices on taxes on the left are: to establish a maximum annual income, with all income over $1,000,000 per year taxed at a rate of 100 percent, and to decrease federal taxes on the poor and provide more services benefiting the middle class and the poor; or to increase federal income taxes on those making more than $250,000 per year to pre-1990s levels (more than 5 percent above current rates). Use the savings to significantly lower taxes and provide more services to those making less and to invest in infrastructure projects.

The extreme choices on taxes the survey offers on the right are: to move to a completely flat income tax system where all individuals pay the same percentage of their income in taxes, accomplished by decreasing government services; or to move to a flat consumption tax where all individuals pay the same percentage of their purchases in taxes, banning the income tax, even if this means the poor pay more in taxes than the rich. Significantly decrease government services in the process.

The results challenge those committed to the “moderate voter” thesis. The policies supported by a majority of respondents, 59 percent, were more extreme than the policies that “political elites typically support.” Of the 59 percent, 40 percent swung left, and 19 percent to the right. The distribution is shown in Figure 1.

Even with a "leftist" position I've literally never heard proposed, and a conservative position that I hear proposed regularly, most so-called moderates are more left than right on taxes. Definitely throws some cold water on the "center-right country" nonsense.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Oh please, most of that "parental advisory" stuff was meant for the Negro Rap Music. Most white folk stuff was hardly that explicit, and none of what was explicit never had the same stigma as poo poo like Straight Outta Compton. It's definitely video games for white dudes.

The largest purchaser of rap albums in the 90s was suburban white people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Also thought this was interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/opinion/nothing-in-moderation.html?_r=0

Even with a "leftist" position I've literally never heard proposed, and a conservative position that I hear proposed regularly, most so-called moderates are more left than right on taxes. Definitely throws some cold water on the "center-right country" nonsense.

Which federal taxes are on the poor?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Radbot posted:

I think people tend to agree with those postulated but experience some pullback when faced with actually filling in the bubble to vote for taxation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

We're a center-left country with a center-right government. It happens.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

Which federal taxes are on the poor?

Payroll taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Significant slices of both Cannibal Corpse and GWAR's ouvres disagree with your assertion. And Dee Snider was explicity called out over his song "Under the Blade" in Congressional Hearings.

• Locked thread