Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Nah, just some minor molten metal on her shoulder and hand as you can tell by the steam coming off of it. Not a huge deal it seems considering her non-reaction.

Considering that she is an oldwalker and practically immortal that doesn't seem like a big deal. That urza guy survived a beheading although he's a strange case cuz of the stones in his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Considering that she is an oldwalker and practically immortal that doesn't seem like a big deal. That urza guy survived a beheading although he's a strange case cuz of the stones in his eyes.

Well yeah, Urza never had the spark, the spark came from the stones in his eyes, as they contained the spark that belonged to some other planeswalker who I can't remember the name of.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Lets Pickle posted:

It seems like you guys are equating a permanents abstract "power" with its playability, which I would argue is not the same thing. Venser the Sojourner can give you an emblem that exiles a permanent whenever you cast a spell! That's more powerful than Venser the creature, although the creature is much more efficient and thus more playable.

What's the POWER and toughness of SFM? What's the POWER and toughness of a planeswalker?

Cripes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mango sentinel posted:

Kayfabe explanation is when a planeswalker (player) summons another planeswalker (card) to their aid, the summoned planeswalker is only compelled to help as much as they feel like. Summoned creatures are at the full command of the player. Planeswalker Nahiri could still fetch that Batterskull for you, she just doesn't like you enough to do so.

"I-I'm not helping you because I l-l-like you or anything. I just happened to be passing by and that other planeswalker was annoying me. No you can't have a Batterskull, baka!"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

On an unrelated note I think this is the first time we've seen Ugin onscreen, so to speak, and I was kind of surprised by his character; despite being a dragon, he comes across as extremely blue, maybe even blue/black. Makes me hope that maybe for at least big name characters, we'll stop seeing their personality defined by their race.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

Nah, just some minor molten metal on her shoulder and hand as you can tell by the steam coming off of it. Not a huge deal it seems considering her non-reaction.

How is it holding its shape, let alone an edge, if molten bits are still dripping off -- no, gently caress it, I'm not going to think this hard about the internal consistency of Magic art.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

How is it holding its shape, let alone an edge, if molten bits are still dripping off -- no, gently caress it, I'm not going to think this hard about the internal consistency of Magic art.

The sword is indestructible!

I mean, if your wizard power is making swords, and you can't make swords that hold an edge when they shouldn't, you're a pretty lovely swordwizard.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

So Nahiri is basically a tsundere, then.

No more than Teferi or Venser, I suppose.

Entropic posted:

~*~Stoneforge magic~*~

But really, you can think of it having its central shape already forged and held together by magic while the molten stuff that isn't essential to the blade is slowly dripping off. Why not magic off the dripping stuff? It's stylish, that's why.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

Well yeah, Urza never had the spark, the spark came from the stones in his eyes, as they contained the spark that belonged to some other planeswalker who I can't remember the name of.
Glacian. The guy who could have been a 'walker had I not jammed a couple powerstones in his kidneys.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Count Bleck posted:

I think my favorite part about that is that the red equivalent is 2 mana worse, isn't even a 7/7 for 7, and has a really mediocre trigger with lieutenant.

Meanwhile blue gets a hexproof 5/5 for 5 which becomes a 7/7 with a commander out and you draw 2 if it gets blocked.

Yeah I'm on to you Maro. :argh:

Honestly the worst of Blue Does Literally Everything doesn't seem to make it into blocks anymore, which is where Maro has the most influence. It's supplemental products and the occasional core set card where some people seem to design blue like it was 1999.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Entropic posted:

When it's made of molten metal, does it need an edge? Pretty sure the sword is always molten, and that's why it's so powerful.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

"I-I'm not helping you because I l-l-like you or anything. I just happened to be passing by and that other planeswalker was annoying me. No you can't have a Batterskull, baka!"
Relevant

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Elyv posted:

On an unrelated note I think this is the first time we've seen Ugin onscreen, so to speak, and I was kind of surprised by his character; despite being a dragon, he comes across as extremely blue, maybe even blue/black. Makes me hope that maybe for at least big name characters, we'll stop seeing their personality defined by their race.

It's a bit hard to get a read on Ugin, I thought, and that sort of makes sense with no colour identity. But I figure he didn't mention his home plane so Sorin wouldn't say "Tarkir? That shithole?" since it's probably about as suitable as Zendikar was for trapping the Eldrazi.

I really like the dynamic of the three characters, hope it gets revisited as the Eldrazi portion of the story continues. I figure Ugin will be revived, but Khans block is also Sarkhan's story, so that might be as far as it goes.

And I want to see interaction between Nahiri and Nissa actually, and where Nahiri was when Zendikar needed her most and was left in the care of some idiot Elf fascist.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 29, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I actually like Anime Jace, it is definitely a good design choice for his character. I'm not so hot on the Chandra though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Madmarker posted:

I actually like Anime Jace, it is definitely a good design choice for his character. I'm not so hot on the Chandra though.

Eh, it's just kind of bad art, the design is how he normally looks. Chandra's just loving ruins her and takes away much of what's good about her.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

I get its a Commander product, but goddamn a 5/5 Hexproof for 3UU is kind of ridiculous. Hexproof is kind of nuts. Its just such a blatant color pie violation that it bothers me.

It usually only shows up on aquatic creatures, so it makes kinda sense. It dives beneath the water to dodge your spells and pops up on command to receive yours :krakken:

I got nothing on the Sphinxes hexproof, though.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Since the next set is called "Fate Reforged", I'm thinking we might see Nahari in standard soon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eh, it's just kind of bad art, the design is how he normally looks. Chandra's just loving ruins her and takes away much of what's good about her.

Why did her hair have to become pink, exactly?

Anime?

I think it's anime.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's a bit hard to get a read on Ugin, I thought, and that sort of makes sense with no colour identity. But I figure he didn't mention his home plane so Sorin wouldn't say "Tarkir? That shithole?" since it's probably about as suitable as Zendikar was for trapping the Eldrazi.

I really like the dynamic of the three characters, hope it gets revisited as the Eldrazi portion of the story continues. I figure Ugin will be revived, but Khans block is also Sarkhan's story, so that might be as far as it goes.

And I want to see interaction between Nahiri and Nissa actually, and where Nahiri was when Zendikar needed her most and was left in the care of some idiot Elf fascist.

Nahiri is pretty much guaranteed to be either dead or otherwise indisposed at this point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Why did her hair have to become pink, exactly?

Anime?

I think it's anime.
Her hair being on fire normally is pretty loving anime bro

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Archenteron posted:

It usually only shows up on aquatic creatures, so it makes kinda sense. It dives beneath the water to dodge your spells and pops up on command to receive yours :krakken:

If they wanted to keep aquatic creatures to make sense from a game mechanic standpoint, they should've kept Islandhome. :getin:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Archenteron posted:

Sphinxes are highly magical as well as being intelligent, so they're probably just misdirecting or passively negating enemy magic.

Alternatively, because gently caress you, they're blue.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Yawgmoth posted:

Glacian. The guy who could have been a 'walker had I not jammed a couple powerstones in his kidneys.

I? What does this guy mean, I? It was Yawgmoth who ... oh. Ha.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hades is so anime.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

the goggles are pretty anime as well.

trust me i'm an 'nime expert.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I thought the binding of the Eldrazi was pre-Mending, which would perfectly well allow Nahiri to be wandering around in the storyline's present.

If not, then hopefully Ugin and Sorin recruit Koth to replace her! :D

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually a 5 mana 1/1 token generator is probably not that much better than a squire and that's what this walker more or less is without equipment.

Aw, but Sliver Queen.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mercury Crusader posted:

If they wanted to keep aquatic creatures to make sense from a game mechanic standpoint, they should've kept Islandhome. :getin:

I know there was at least one Foresthome creature (Gorilla Pack) and one Swamphome creature (that colorshifted serpent from PC). Ronom Serpent had Snowhome. I am a little saddened that Plainshome and Mountainhome will never be a thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mountainhome sounds like the most metal place to chill out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

theironjef posted:

Aw, but Sliver Queen.

A 7/7 that generates 1/1s! :science:

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
New player question: What was the deal with slivers? I understand that they were a sort of swarm-flavoured synergistic series of cards that were all about boosting other slivers, but were they actually good? Was there a period at all where sliver decks were stomping around standard like T-Rexes?

Considering how seemingly bad they seem to be individually and being sprayed around all of the colours, I'm inclined to think not? But it would be interesting to hear from more experienced players.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Wicked Wall posted:

New player question: What was the deal with slivers? I understand that they were a sort of swarm-flavoured synergistic series of cards that were all about boosting other slivers, but were they actually good? Was there a period at all where sliver decks were stomping around standard like T-Rexes?

Considering how seemingly bad they seem to be individually and being sprayed around all of the colours, I'm inclined to think not? But it would be interesting to hear from more experienced players.

Slivers placed 4th at a SCG Legacy event this very weekend, actually! It's just a huge pile of synergistic, untargetable, flying beaters with counter backup.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1219737

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Slivers have never been insane, but they've seen play a couple of times. Way back in the day, during the Trix era, there was a deck in Extended called Counter-Sliver which was probably the first real aggro-control deck. More recently, in Time Spiral block (which was a sweet format, by the way), there was a sliver deck that would get a ton of card advantage off that UG sliver which gave slivers defender and let a sliver's controller draw a card when a sliver came into play and would then remove it once it had an overwhelming advantage.

Edit: I guess they see some play in Legacy too? That's neat.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The Wicked Wall posted:

They have been reasonably good once or twice over the years. Really they were waiting for Commander like kids waiting for Christmas.

TheKingofSprings posted:

A 7/7 that generates 1/1s! :science:

Yeah, but CMC 5! She's my favorite card in MTG.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Slivers were always this goofy fun tribe that would occasionally see constructed tournament play (I was only ever familiar with Counter-Sliver back in Old Extended) that was hampered by its very demanding mana base. Hell, you wanna stop Counter-Sliver back in the day? Play four Wastelands and four Rishadan Ports, maybe even four Price of Progress if you're playing red as well. Chances were your maindeck was already running the Wastelands and Ports already.

deftest
May 7, 2011

theironjef posted:

She's my favorite card in MTG.

Sometimes you're way behind on board in 4 player commander with only Haste sliver + Mana sliver and you manage to topdeck her majesty. Those three really do beautiful things together

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

deftest posted:

Sometimes you're way behind on board in 4 player commander with only Haste sliver + Mana sliver and you manage to topdeck her majesty. Those three really do beautiful things together

I've turned around a game by topdecking into her with Haste and Constricting on the table. Make two slivers and take away all those Sheoldreds farting up this commander game, thank you very much.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

Slivers were always this goofy fun tribe that would occasionally see constructed tournament play (I was only ever familiar with Counter-Sliver back in Old Extended) that was hampered by its very demanding mana base. Hell, you wanna stop Counter-Sliver back in the day? Play four Wastelands and four Rishadan Ports, maybe even four Price of Progress if you're playing red as well. Chances were your maindeck was already running the Wastelands and Ports already.

To be fair, rishadan ports worked pretty well against almost any deck. So well that they made a card in invasion specifically to hose it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

To be fair, rishadan ports worked pretty well against almost any deck. So well that they made a card in invasion specifically to hose it.

Multiple cards, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I love how unsubtle those had to be.

• Locked thread