Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

Ward is lose! I repeart Ward is lose!

I was actually expecting Ward to be delivered to his brother and after everyone left they'd be all "Bro! Coulson actually bought it!"

I assumed it would end either with this or with Ward escaping, and I couldn't decide which would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

By the way, has the show always started with the Marvel logo and I've just been blind?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruceski posted:

By the way, has the show always started with the Marvel logo and I've just been blind?

Always.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've probably been slow changing channels after Flash, then. Thanks for confirming I'm crazy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Teek posted:

I think it'll be this. He'll be out there working an angle to try to get in Skye's good graces.

Not sure if they'll address it or not, but it might find weight if they mention if he killed anyone during his escape. Obviously he put some hurt on the FBI people, but I'm not sure if there was any killing there or not.

Based on the parts of the fight we saw, Ward punched and kicked a lot of dudes, then got hold of a gun and appeared to lean forward to shoot someone in the head. Pretty safe bet he straight up murdered a van full of good guys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VBane posted:

God that was a great episode. My favorite moment was when Ward revealed in his twisted mind he still thought he was part of the team. I LOVE how they've totally defied the expectations of redemption with him.

That was amazing. I want Ward to turn into a psycho stalker ex for the whole team and spend the rest of the series following them around trying to help and not understanding why they won't accept him.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hahaha, yeah. In season 2 they've found a way to make May consistently look like the crazy badass that we heard so much about her being last year. Whoever's doing their fight stuff now really stepped their game up.

I like that May now exists to get into crazy awesome fights. Even when she barely has a role in the episode's story she just tags along so she can spend some time kicking rear end.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone else think that the actor playing Christian Ward is way too old to be grant ward's brother? In the flashbacks he looked to be 2 or 3 years older than Ward at best but this guy looks about 20 years older.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Well, politics ages you (or maybe he just likes looking older than he is and disguises himself as such)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, Grant Ward looks like he's in his early 30's. (Brett Dalton is 31)

Christian Ward looks like he's pushing 50. (Tim DeKay is 51)

Momma Ward waited 20 years inbetween children, apparently.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So that means Chris Ward still lived with his parents when he was 35

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

awesome-express posted:

So that means Chris Ward still lived with his parents when he was 35

The most disturbing truth of all.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

Either that or he single-handedly (triple?) crosses Hydra and fucks them so hard they can hardly recover. Therefore solidifying his "I'm back on the team but no one trusts me at all, but I'll work on it" plot line for season 3.

I really hope that's the case.

I personally believe Ward is not lying about anything at this point. I believe his brother really is the psycho gently caress he's always claimed, and it just runs in the family. I don't think Ward is a good guy, but I bet you before this is over, we'll find out his brother really is worse. I also bet he doesn't kill the SWAT guys just to tell Skye how much he's changed, and no other reason.

Also seriously, what were they thinking? They should have dug up an Avengers style prison for that guy, even without superpowers.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 29, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

VBane posted:

Is that who that actor at the end was? I thought it was Dylan Bruno.

It sounded kinda like him, but this show actually has already used Dylan Bruno - he was Rooster, the biker gang leader in "Yes Men".

quote:

God that was a great episode. My favorite moment was when Ward revealed in his twisted mind he still thought he was part of the team. I LOVE how they've totally defied the expectations of redemption with him.

It kinda fits too. Ward's been a follower most of his life, obeying orders. Garret gave him direction, and after Garret died, Ward went nuts and tried to kill himself. After that stage, he fell back to being a follower of the last person who gave him orders: Coulson.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This show continues to impress me. I was worried that Skye was about to make a "bad decision" and release Ward to go get daddy, but it turned out she was just playing him all along.

Ward is really loving crazy. I like how he was basically like "Well, yeah, I killed some dudes, but we all make mistakes. We're good now Coulson, right? Go team us!"

May's fight scenes get more and more badass.

Also, I think that Mack had a good point when talking to Simmons about accepting who Fitz is now, not trying to change him into who he was. It's looking like that is just how Fitz is going to be now, barring some kind of handwavium comicbook fix, which they seem to be avoiding.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
We all knew Ward was gonna get out of that cell one way or another, and this is one of the best ways to do it.
And I like how fitzsimmons is getting split up, because it annoyed me how bloody adorable they were in season 1.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mymla posted:

And I like how fitzsimmons is getting split up, because it annoyed me how bloody adorable they were in season 1.

I assume you spend your free time kicking puppies too

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Mymla posted:

We all knew Ward was gonna get out of that cell one way or another, and this is one of the best ways to do it.

So did Fitz tell Simmons he wants to date? All the characters seem to imply that he did and she rejected him, but I don't recall him spilling his guts to her.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Either that or he single-handedly (triple?) crosses Hydra and fucks them so hard they can hardly recover. Therefore solidifying his "I'm back on the team but no one trusts me at all, but I'll work on it" plot line for season 3.

I don't see him ever rejoining the team, and I'm pretty happy with this. He is deeply on everyone's shitlist and it's refreshing to see the characters not excusing his behavior (in comparison to typical tropes). I suspect through the series he's going to be the wildcard who is helping or "helping" SHIELD depending on his mental state and how close their desires are to his perception of their/Skye's needs.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

awesome-express posted:

So did Fitz tell Simmons he wants to date? All the characters seem to imply that he did and she rejected him, but I don't recall him spilling his guts to her.

Pretty sure he spilled his guts before he blew out the window of their prison of doom under da sea.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

awesome-express posted:

It was when they were in a box in the ocean about to die.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ward's senator brother is the guy who played Kevin, the Bizarro-Jerry in Seinfeld.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

imperialparadox posted:

barring some kind of handwavium comicbook fix, which they seem to be avoiding.

Skye just has Kree blood. The real Inhuman is Fitz.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009

Gonz posted:

Yeah, Grant Ward looks like he's in his early 30's. (Brett Dalton is 31)

Christian Ward looks like he's pushing 50. (Tim DeKay is 51)

Momma Ward waited 20 years inbetween children, apparently.

So what does that make Ward and May? Found out earlier that Ming Na is 51, and was in the Street Fighter movie. (w Kylie Minogue)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

tatopom posted:

So what does that make Ward and May? Found out earlier that Ming Na is 51, and was in the Street Fighter movie. (w Kylie Minogue)

How is that even remotely similar? We're talking about one actor who is obviously too old to be the 2 or 3 year older brother of another actor. May's age has never been specified.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
May is ageless because even time knows better than to gently caress with her. :colbert:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

tatopom posted:

Huh. I guess they had a May-December thing going on.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tatopom posted:

You know, I think I placed what makes this work for her: She turns signs of aging into a "seasoned veteran" kind of look, which is very uncommon with female actors sadly.

I fully suspect if the show goes for a long time, she could easily move into an administration role. They're already steering her towards it.

Deadpool posted:

This show is so good now. Wow.

How are the renewal prospects looking? I really hope they start regaining some viewers. I ALMOST gave up and I'm glad I didn't.

The rare show the rewards giving it an extended chance. Usually that's just a ticket to viewing pain.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 29, 2014

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So what are the odds that the Ward family is Hydra, with the brothers playing a long game where they can stake out any position for or against?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lord Bude posted:

How is that even remotely similar? We're talking about one actor who is obviously too old to be the 2 or 3 year older brother of another actor. May's age has never been specified.

Maybe Grant was an accident

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Can I request a gif of the last kick May used to beat the assassin guy with? It looked pretty brutal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So Senator Jonsey decided to go into politics and be evil instead of playing baseball and following Management?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Slamhound posted:

So what are the odds that the Ward family is Hydra, with the brothers playing a long game where they can stake out any position for or against?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Christian was Hydra. I think Grant's just been dumped at this point though.

Also for now I'm just going to assume that both Grant and Christian are monstrous assholes and that there's just something wrong with their family, rather than Grant having just made everything up. I mean that Berserker Staff thing in season 1 did seem to gently caress with his head quite a bit.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Another awesome episode! I'll try to make some gifs later tonight. The fight scenes continue to step it up. :aaa:

I will say one of my favorite moments was at the end with Simmons telling Ward, "If I ever see you again, I'll kill you. :stare:"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blazing Ownager posted:

How are the renewal prospects looking? I really hope they start regaining some viewers.

Too early to tell. Last week was a series low, ratings-wise, at 1.7 in the demo, and last night's rating was a very, very tiny improvement (a tenth of a point). It's not hanging by a thread or anything like that, but I can't imagine ABC is thrilled that Flash and Arrow are getting the same demo ratings with probably a third of the budget of SHIELD.

I doubt the show is in any real danger at this point, though, since Marvel announced like ten new movies yesterday, leading off with Civil War in a year and a half, and I'm sure Disney will want a TV presence in support of everything.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I knew Ward was going to escape when they gave him 60's cop-show handcuffs, instead of liquid metal cuffs that mold into place and require a molecular key to unlock.

...maybe Coulson wanted him to escape?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those are stupid cuffs, Cap. If Cyclops just slips his arms in front of him he can blast those off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timby posted:

Too early to tell. Last week was a series low, ratings-wise, at 1.7 in the demo, and last night's rating was a very, very tiny improvement (a tenth of a point). It's not hanging by a thread or anything like that, but I can't imagine ABC is thrilled that Flash and Arrow are getting the same demo ratings with probably a third of the budget of SHIELD.

I doubt the show is in any real danger at this point, though, since Marvel announced like ten new movies yesterday, leading off with Civil War in a year and a half, and I'm sure Disney will want a TV presence in support of everything.

Well Flash is getting close but is not averaging quite as well as this. And Arrow is several tenths of a point lower. With the ABC average being so low and Disney/Marvel looking to push it there's a more than decent chance it gets renewed unless the ratings crater.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, With Coulson and Ward talking about trust and Ward talking about working for the team again, I wouldn't be surprised if Coulson and Ward are working together to get another Agent inside of Hydra.

With the main theme of this season being Coulson as Director has to lie and do shady poo poo to keep SHIELD functioning.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I really doubt Coulson would be in on any plan that involved Ward killing the random US law enforcement officers who happened to be guarding him.

Edit: Fury picked him to rebuild Shield because although Coulson knows how the spygame is played, there are lines he won't rationalize crossing.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Slashrat posted:

I really doubt Coulson would be in on any plan that involved Ward killing the random US law enforcement officers who happened to be guarding him.

Look man, a Leader has to make tough choices sometimes, and sometimes an undercover agent needs to get his hands dirty.

But yeah, I was mostly just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Wards escape(if not the particulars) was a plan by those two.

• Locked thread