Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

tuyop posted:

Yeah, you can use AirDrop from a Yosemite Mac, the video gets added to your camera roll and then you just open in... Or from a compatible app.

You can also do this with Dropbox or google drive from apps that support this.
Thanks. That should work pretty good, but the Camera Roll is different than the built-in Videos Library, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Anyone else's Touch ID randomly deciding not to work? I want to say it started with 8.0.2 but it could have always been there (I only had my phone a few days before 8.0.2).

Basically 80% of the time it works everytime. The other 20% well...not so much. (It just keeps saying try again until it sighs and says "you know what, just give me your password")

Is it the end of the world? No. But it is a big enough problem to where I don't want to look like a douchebag whipping out my phone to buy a 20 mcnugget (or whatever goony goon purchase i am making) and have it error out on me.

I don't think it is a problem with the sensor, because like I said above it works better than sex panther.

I have my main thumb saved twice, the reject thumb saved once and my two index fingers saved and they all have about the same success rate.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm new to TouchIdD since I skipped the 5S, but the only times so far I've had it not work are when I'm just out of the bath (and even then it's about 50%) or if I'm trying it at a bizarre angle because I'm holding a sandwich or something.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Worked fine for me on iOS 8.1, iPhone 6. Admittedly it was on a very small playlist since most of my playlists are Smart playlists and I just shuffle them anyway - are you doing it on absolutely huge ones?

13 songs in the playlist. I need to see if I can capture video of it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks. That should work pretty good, but the Camera Roll is different than the built-in Videos Library, right?

The videos library is just a folder drawn from camera roll, AFAIK. When I just tested out the AirDrop transfer, the video gets added to camera roll and populates Videos at the same time.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

EpicNemesis posted:

Anyone else's Touch ID randomly deciding not to work? I want to say it started with 8.0.2 but it could have always been there (I only had my phone a few days before 8.0.2).

Basically 80% of the time it works everytime. The other 20% well...not so much. (It just keeps saying try again until it sighs and says "you know what, just give me your password")

Is it the end of the world? No. But it is a big enough problem to where I don't want to look like a douchebag whipping out my phone to buy a 20 mcnugget (or whatever goony goon purchase i am making) and have it error out on me.

I don't think it is a problem with the sensor, because like I said above it works better than sex panther.

I have my main thumb saved twice, the reject thumb saved once and my two index fingers saved and they all have about the same success rate.

Mine has only ever failed when the sensor gets dirty, which is more often than I'd like since it's recessed and not as easily wiped.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine doesn't work if there's any moisture on my finger, but otherwise is pretty much flawless.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Coredump posted:

Can some of you try to edit the order of a playlist of songs in the music app and see if it spazzes out? Mine has been doing this since iOS 7 but I haven't heard much about the issue. If I try to edit a playlist the songs I add won't stay. If I try to change the play order songs will duplicate, disappear, etc. and the edits won't take effect.

Yep this happens to me all the time and is really loving annoying.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

EpicNemesis posted:

I have my main thumb saved twice
Is this a thing people do? Maybe it's getting confused? Or is saving the same finger twice supposed to improve its reliability?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep this happens to me all the time and is really loving annoying.

Is it like this? http://youtu.be/SadRksFAwAc

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh oh, CurrentC!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/29/apple-pay-competitor-currentc-hacked-alerts-pilot-program-participants-to-security-breach

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I definitely trust them with my bank account info and accept all liability for fraud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like they created a checklist for all the things they could do to ensure no one ever takes them seriously, and are slowly implementing all of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're probably even dumb enough not to throttle password attempts.

...oh.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Erwin posted:

Is this a thing people do? Maybe it's getting confused? Or is saving the same finger twice supposed to improve its reliability?

I did this with my iPhone 5s. I saved my thumb two times, trying to save as much of the thumb as possible. It worked 99.9% of the time even at weird angles. It definitely improved reliability. Don't know about the 6 and if its sensor is improved. Can't hurt to try though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They're probably even dumb enough not to throttle password attempts.

...oh.

Apparently the API might also have leaked personal info if you knew an email.

http://m.imore.com/whose-interest-currentc-really-serving
http://m.imore.com/depth-look-currentc-and-personal-data-they-want-collect

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have each index and each thumb saved twice. And then I have my thumb on the hand I generally hold the phone also scanned in at the odd 90degree angle it would be when I am holding the phone. It didn't like my prints at odd angles when I only had one standard lined up print.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Feenix posted:

I have each index and each thumb saved twice. And then I have my thumb on the hand I generally hold the phone also scanned in at the odd 90degree angle it would be when I am holding the phone. It didn't like my prints at odd angles when I only had one standard lined up print.
I have five different fingers recorded and just tested a couple of them upside down and sideways and they still worked fine.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Feenix posted:

I can't explain the behavior you see but Touch ID works at any angle. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949

quote:

Touch ID can even read multiple fingerprints, and it can read fingerprints in 360-degrees of orientation. It then creates a mathematical representation of your fingerprint and compares this to your enrolled fingerprint data to identify a match and unlock your iPhone. Touch ID will incrementally add new sections of your fingerprint to your enrolled fingerprint data to improve matching accuracy over time. Touch ID uses all of this to provide an accurate match and a very high level of security.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok. That's loving weird then. But very informative. Thanks, gents. I will do some testing.

[edit] you're right. My index fingers (only one scan per) work at a 90 degree angle. It just seems to be my *other* thumb that doesn't. I'll try a clean re-scan and see.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Oh jesus christ

I can't wait to see this thing crash and burn. Never have Apple fans and Android fans been united behind a common cause!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Apple's secret Project X finally comes to fruition.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
And on the heels of the breach.....prepare for the floodgates to open shortly:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/29/mcx-challenging-status-quo/

quote:

During the call, MCX CEO Dekkers Davidson and COO Scott Rankin clarified that MCX merchants who choose to accept Apple Pay are not subject to fines. As stated in the blog post earlier today, merchants are also free to leave the consortium entirely at any time without penalty beyond forfeiting the time and money already invested in the effort.

quote:

But pressed as to why some retailers such as CVS and Rite Aid have shut down NFC entirely rather than allow unofficial Apple Pay payments in their stores, Davidson argued that merchants know their customers best and are making the choices they believe are right for their customers. He said the merchants believe customers want more than just mobile payments, and CurrentC's integration of payments with loyalty cards and coupons will in his opinion prove to be the best solution.

But really, pretty much the entire article is quotable.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Does the continued selling of the 5s and 5c suggest there will always be a 4" model?

Maybe an iPhone 7 Mini?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Does the continued selling of the 5s and 5c suggest there will always be a 4" model?

Maybe an iPhone 7 Mini?
No. Apple has always offered the previous year's iPhone model as a budget model.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Whirlwind Jones posted:

No. Apple has always offered the previous year's iPhone model as a budget model.

Okay, but has there been any indication that they're done with 4" screens? Does the fact that they didn't make a new version with one mean its over?

It would be nice to have 3 sizes: mini, regular, and plus.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Okay, but has there been any indication that they're done with 4" screens? Does the fact that they didn't make a new version with one mean its over?

I imagine it will depend on what kind of demand there is for a 4 inch screen going forward. If the 5s sells well and consumers indicate there is a market for a 4 inch screen I'm sure Apple will want to keep it up.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Seems unlikely.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Not gonna happen. It's now pretty obvious that most people prefer a large screen. I'm sure there's a bunch of people who want the smaller phones too, but not enough to be significant.

I quite like the 4" iPhones but after having a Note 3 I totally see why people prefer large screens. I can't imagine that my next phone will be small. I miss the big screen a lot.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EC posted:

I'm having an issue with iCloud backup. When I go into iCloud, it says I have 6.0gb available, out of 20gb. If I go into Manage Storage, it lists my backup for my phone as 13.9gb. I don't have any other devices backing up on that account right now. If I click on the iPhone, it lists my next backup as needing 23.6gb, and the highest data using app is my Photo Library, listed at 19.3gb. That seemed really weird, so I went to check in General > Usage > Storage, and my Photos & Camera app is listed as only 10.8gb. Any idea on what could be causing the 10gb difference?

Reposting this because its driving me crazy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EC posted:

Reposting this because its driving me crazy.

Delete your backup and let it backup as new.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I imagine it will depend on what kind of demand there is for a 4 inch screen going forward. If the 5s sells well and consumers indicate there is a market for a 4 inch screen I'm sure Apple will want to keep it up.
And having a smaller phone gives some basic visual upsell and differentiation for the 4.7" model. I wouldn't be surprised if they either kept it around (as 6C or mini or whatever) or killed it off. Or they keep the 5C around forever like they've been doing with old iPads.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I just used my iPod touch for the first time after about a month with the 6+. How did I live with that screen on my 3G?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finally used Apple Pay for the first time a few minutes ago at McDonalds.

:stare:

That was wayyyyy cooler than I thought it would be. The process could not have been simpler, and I briefly felt like a wizard from the future.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Hey guys, I am sorry for the low quality drive-by posting but I need to buy an iPhone tonight (long story) and have never owned one and am unsure between the 6 and 6 Plus. Is there a quick guide that summarizes pros/cons of each? Has one basically turned out to be much better than the other?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Plus has a bigger screen, has a bigger battery, and optical image stabilization.

It mostly just comes down to which size you want.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Buy a 6 and wish you had a bit better battery/bigger screen for a year. Or buy a 6+ and feel uncomfortable using a phone you feel is too big for a year. Choose your risk.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Sextro posted:

Buy a 6 and wish you had a bit better battery/bigger screen for a year. Or buy a 6+ and feel uncomfortable using a phone you feel is too big for a year. Choose your risk.
Buy a 5c and wish you hadn't bought a kids toy.

Buy a 5S and wish you had Apple Pay.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Telus finally flipped my number to my 6's sim card so I finally got to use my phone.

It's so loving nice to use my phone all day for calls and emails, stream spotify music for my hourlong drive home, and still have 55% battery remaining.

Now relearning my power button location muscle memory -- that's going to take a while. That and remembering not to instinctively try to punch in my passcode when unlocking my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
So it turns out the Iphones are sold out in every AT&T/Apple store around me so I have some time to research. Thanks guys!